VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This case has really bothered me, perhaps because I have a daughter nearly the same age as Katelin and live in the Fredericksburg area.

<mod snip>

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was mentioned at one time that the property that has acreage was not the residence that Katelin's Mom dropped her off at (and if iirc, that is the property that stepdads mother resides at ) that it was the stepdads residence in town that she was dropped off at.
I don't believe the time she was dropped off at the stepdads home was ever released either. Someone jog my memory on all of this please! Everything I'd sluethed and saved on this case was on my laptop which is currently being worked on! &#128533;

there was never a dropoff time specified, i dont recall anything other than her being dropped off at the stepfather's house in partlow, and the new information that it was on the 200 block of oak crest drive.

i remember that she didnt know her stepfather would be driving her, she knew her mother was not going to be able to drive her, but she didnt know exactly who was going to.

I realize consent and/or warrants have to be granted for property to be searched. If there are tenants in the Salem property currently and their lease did not take effect until AFTER her disappearance, I believe the tenants as current occupants could consent to allowing that particular property to be searched? Would this not be correct?

Also, if I recall reading somewhere correctly, Amber said she knew the ex-stepfather was going to take her, BUT she didn't want to go with him and tried to have another family member take her to the airport, but those plans did not pan out.

they cant search any of his property without either his permission or a search warrant.

i guess the problem is that the only evidence at this point is the lack of evidence.

so while they say they do not believe she ever left the county, they cannot point to evidence that she didnt, there is just a lack of evidence that she ever did.

BBM- I wonder how much evidence was potentially lost due to SD "cooperating"? I think LE hinting at a voluntary disappearance in the beginning didn't help matters either.

Potential witnesses have had a year to forget everything they may have seen that day. Surveillance videos are long gone.

I realize consent and/or warrants have to be granted for property to be searched. If there are tenants in the Salem property currently and their lease did not take effect until AFTER her disappearance, I believe the tenants as current occupants could consent to allowing that particular property to be searched? Would this not be correct?

Also, if I recall reading somewhere correctly, Amber said she knew the ex-stepfather was going to take her, BUT she didn't want to go with him and tried to have another family member take her to the airport, but those plans did not pan out.

I wonder why?

amber rios, who was katelin's girlfriend and the admin of the find katelin group (so this should be allowable) said that katelin didnt know her stepfather was taking her to the airport, i guess i assumed she meant until the last minute, or shortly before.

hoosier952 - i would really like to know if they tried to pull any surveillance videos from along his likely path/s to the mall, or if they just looked at the mall security videos...

Imo if SD was cooperating that would include free access to search everything...are we sure they didn't? If you have nothing to hide,you hide nothing. So if they say he is cooperating I would think it meant full access? Otherwise I don't think LE would use that term?

Some posts have been snipped and some have been removed. Please remember that WS is a victim-friendly forum and sleuthing those who have not been named as suspects/POIs is strictly prohibited.

VICTIM FRIENDLY

Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. Attacking or bashing a victim is not allowed. Discussing victim behavior, good or bad is fine, but do so in a civil and constructive way, and only when such behavior is relevant to the case.

The "victim friendly" rule extends to the family members of victims and suspects. Sleuthing family members, friends, and others who have not been designated as suspects is not allowed. Don't make random accusations, suggest their involvement, nor bash and attack them. Posting their personal information, including names, addresses, and background data -- even if it is public -- is not allowed. That does not mean, however, that statements made by family members and other third parties cannot come into discussion as the facts of the case are reported in the media.

Please take a minute to review The Rules

If you have any questions, feel free to contact a moderator or administrator and we'd be happy to help. :tyou:

One factor which swayed me at the start, was a FB post by her girlfriend Amber, which suggested that since Katelin's disappearance, she had found out things about her girlfriend, that had been a shock to her & she wished Katelin well.

I don't remember the exact wording.

It strikes me that someone could have given Amber false information, making it appear that Katelin had chosen not to return 'home' to Amber in Arizona, & thereby stopped Amber from creating a fuss over her disappearance.

I would love to know what Amber heard, and from whom.
It did not sound as if she had heard directly from Katelin.
The 'revelation' whatever it was, was obviously devastating to her.

These two appeared so 'in love'.

I fear there has been a travesty of justice, regarding this missing girl, with the possible perpetrator encouraging the belief that she disappeared by choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember that too. At the time, it seemed like someone told her that Katelin had another girlfriend behind her back or something. But I never did find out what she had learned that seemed to change her mind about the situation.

Going back to the original story from a year ago, this popped out at me:

Investigators have been unable to confirm the teen was ever at the mall, as the area where her stepfather said he dropped her off is reportedly not covered by surveillance cameras.

Akens’ stepfather as “absolutely” cooperative in the investigation and said he is not considered a suspect or person of interest in his stepdaughter’s disappearance.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/katelin-akens-missing_us_56c78012e4b041136f16f6b7

Police have yet to find any surveillance footage of Akens at the mall or anywhere else. But he said police have corroborated the stepfather’s story that he dropped her off in Northern Virginia. Police would not say how the story was corroborated, saying that was part of the ongoing investigation.

http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/...cle_d1261048-9f60-11e5-8ac1-9bfcd1eaae4e.html

IN terms of the 2nd statement, that SD's story was corroborated----- at the time, I thought they used HER cell phone to show she was with him in the car. But they always admitted there was no witnesses nor video to confirm.

Thank you for posting, I remember a change was it an earlier drop off, also? Was it suggested why?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Going from memory, Stepfather said that he offered to take her right to the airport. But she requested to be dropped off at the mall instead. She said she wanted to do some shopping. But Amber had said that the only money Katelin had was Ambers debit card for use of the traveling expenses. So she didn't seem to believe that Amber had any big shopping to do that day. JMO

I remember that too. At the time, it seemed like someone told her that Katelin had another girlfriend behind her back or something. But I never did find out what she had learned that seemed to change her mind about the situation.

Yes Katy, and this worries me, because Amber was obviously hurt & upset by the 'revelation' & may not have tried to contact Katelin again, accepting this as a reason for her to 'disappear'.

Maybe she was fed false information by a perpetrator, who may have had Katelin's phone or laptop.

I wonder if LE investigating, are aware of this information?? Should we check??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Going from memory, Stepfather said that he offered to take her right to the airport. But she requested to be dropped off at the mall instead. She said she wanted to do some shopping. But Amber had said that the only money Katelin had was Ambers debit card for use of the traveling expenses. So she didn't seem to believe that Amber had any big shopping to do that day. JMO

Exactly. And the spot the SD allegedly said he dropped her off at the mall just so happened to be an area/angle where cameras were not set up.

they never actually said her stepfather's car was at the mall, i believe the wording was that there was evidence that his car was in the area of the mall.

without anything to clarify that statement, it is really hard to draw any conclusions...

here it is;

http://wric.com/2015/12/10/new-developments-in-case-of-19-year-old-missing-from-spotsylvania/

[FONT=&amp]"According to Captain Jeff Pearce with the Spotsylvania County Sheriff’s Office, authorities have been able to corroborate that Akens’ stepfather’s car was in the area of the mall that day, though there is no surveillance video of Katelin or her stepdad at Springfield Town Center. Captain Pearce says cameras were not covering the area of the mall that the stepfather says he left Katelin. He would not elaborate on how investigators confirmed the car was there.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Right now, police cannot confirm whether Katelin was at the mall or if she even left Spotsylvania. Authorities have also not yet said that the stepfather himself was at the mall, just that his car was in the area."[/FONT]

So there's no way to prove she wasn't riding in the car with her phone unless they/stepfather was caught on camera like through a fast toll on Easy Pass.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I'm glad to see all these new posts in Katelins thread. Let's hope she comes home for Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely by now LE has her cell phone records? (I haven't posted on Katelin's thread in a long time and I'm sure I've missed stuff).

Whatever towers her phone pinged from that last day would seem to me the most obvious answer as to where she herself, still is.

I'm glad to see all these new posts in Katelins thread. Let's hope she comes home for Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too dyannaON. Katelin's disappearance has haunted me since she went missing. I've never felt she was missing voluntarily. She needs to be found.

here is how we know she didnt run off imo - the text to amber.

if her intent was to "disappear" willingly, why send that text? she wouldnt.

what that text did was immediately alarm amber and get her to start making phone calls, if she wanted to buy herself some time without anyone looking for her then the text she sends to amber is "im at the airport, phone is dying, see you in a few hours!" or "about to board, will be home soon! wont be able to text until im there"

katelin would know what would happen if she sends the text "not coming back today, change of plans."... and then nothing. amber is going to immediately start blowing up her phone and then she is going to call her mother and friends etc - and as soon as she calls katelin's mother and they tell each other what their texts said there is a problem

if you were intending to walk out of someones life without a confrontation you just wouldnt send any text, or you would send something like i mentioned above.

katelin did not send that text, therefore she didnt send the other text that was sent at the same time.

a random person did not send those texts, those texts were sent by someone that *thought* those texts would buy them some time, someone who apparently thought amber would just read the text, then not be able to get katelin on the phone and just say "well i guess i will just wait til i hear from her someday"... sounds like whoever sent those texts wasnt thinking clearly, maybe they were stressed out over something eh?

the police dont think she was ever at the mall, neither do i.

someone that had access to katelin, and her phone, right before she went missing, sent those texts.

and unfortunately nothing else probably happens in this case unless Katelin is found.

and i think you know what i think is the only way that happens. :(

I've never thought that Katelin disappeared of her own volition.

I just don't get the impression that LE is working very hard on this case for some reason. Either they know, or believe they know, what happened and can't prove it yet so there is basically radio slience or....they have seriously dropped the ball on this one.

My personal opinion, is that they have a pretty good idea what happened .Also my own opinion, the investigation appears sloppy and misdirected.

I can't get over the fact that a year has gone by and now, out of the blue, a press conference, admitting they don't think she ever left Spotslyvania! Seriously? Why didn't they inform everyone of that a year ago? Why did LE ask that searches not take place. I have so many Why's.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back