VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It has been almost 16 months since they searched the ex-step father's house. Obviously he lied about being near the mall, his phone showed that. Seems like he never took her anywhere toward the airport/mall. Also he is the only person who never tried to call her in the days following her disappearance. He did not go to work, as he said he did. None of this is good at all.

It has been almost 16 months since they searched the ex-step father's house. Obviously he lied about being near the mall, his phone showed that. Seems like he never took her anywhere toward the airport/mall. Also he is the only person who never tried to call her in the days following her disappearance. He did not go to work, as he said he did. None of this is good at all.

No it's not! And they searched swap land behind his house?

*Just my random thoughts & opinions*

His cell pinged near his home when he said he had just dropped her off at mall. Her cell pinged near where her luggage was found, which was near home. He called out of work that day but told her mom that he dropped her off and went to work.

I too live close to the mall. 5 minutes down Franconia road. No signs, no posters, no flyers. Nothing. I drive by the mall three times a week. Never once saw anything. I understand the family doesn't live here, but still. LE could have spread more info.

Just something interesting... also on Franconia road an older man got hit by a car while he was crossing the street and unfortunately passed away. It was in front of Mcdonalds in the middle of the night. Local LE put up a sign on the road that read some thing like "if you have any info on accident, lease call blah blah blah". It was one of those flashing signs that alert you to upcoming traffic or a road closure. My point is, LE did it for that hit and run, 3 miles from the mall, why not do it for this case??

If I haven't read about it here, I never would have known.

Wow this girl is still missing?!

I lived about 15 min away from Springfield Mall when this happened and only saw a very short story in the local Patch about it. Went to the net to investigate further and not many stories to be found. Found it odd that I had not seen any posters or more news stories except that her luggage had been found in a ditch which made me think oh noes! But not much media attention so sadly forgot about it.

Now that I have combed through the fb, webslueths and Internet feel somewhat caught up but still baffled.

When this first happened why did the family not bring more attention to where she was "last seen"? Living in that area as I said all is saw was a short story in the local paper I would have missed had I not been bored and looking for something to read. But no fliers, local news had nothing even local fb had not a peep and I have friends all over nova, I get links to missing people and animals all the time, but not this one.

Most of what I found when I first read this story was the girlfriend or as she was commonly referred to "the roommate" put out there. And as a follow up to that why the misinformation about the girlfriend to begin with?

Whole thing is just weird. I get wanting to keep thing quiet at first in a way but just seems that it was kept too quiet leafing me to wonder. Does LE actually know what happened? Initially reading I didn't doubt SD's story till the luggage thing came out, then was like yep it's him, figured he was charged and that's why locally it dropped off into oblivion. Evidently as Dissappeared is doing an episode I guess not.

Disappeared...the detective just said stepdad's vehicle never appeared on any mall security cameras or any other security cameras from airport or metro station.
I thought previous reports stated LE verified he was in the area of the mall that day?
And now stepdad refused to take polygraph so they got a search warrant to search his property, I don't remember this, does anyone else?

I was just wondering the same thing. I could have sworn I read that his vehicle was seen on the mall surveillance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I had thought too, way back, that the mall drop off had been confirmed but not the case.

I think step dad did it. mom lisa confronted him about lying about missing work. speculating- what if step dad had been molesting her and she was going to tell

This is local-ish to me and I followed it from the beginning. At some point I think I chalked up the inexplicable lack of attention to Katelin's case to the fact that LE found she was voluntarily missing and could not do or say more because she's an adult. That would seem plausible as the show has confirmed the rumored turmoil in her private life. Clearly that is not the case.

The fact that her and step dad's phones were pinging near home in Fredericksburg at the same time he said he was dropping her in Springfield makes zero sense. Now that I have heard from her family, it seems strange that she would leave forever and tell no one but her former step father, no matter how upset she was with her relationship issues.

I also have no idea what to do with the fact that her mom knew Heather Ciccone. Maybe nothing since they have charged two people with that murder?

I had thought too, way back, that the mall drop off had been confirmed but not the case.

The detective never says he's a POI but says they think he has more info than what he's telling, whether it's that maybe he helped her "vanish" or meet up with someone she'd met, but I do think it's very odd that he's the only one that's never tried to call Katelyn.
Does anyone know how long K's mom was married to him?

From what I remember, LE made some vague comment like, "The ex-stepdad's vehicle was in the area" but never said how they came up with that. I remember because we were all wondering! I recall that there was also some statement from LE about cameras did not cover the portion of the mall where he said he dropped her off. We all were saying: now isn't that convenient (SNL Church Lady voice)

I think LE does this commonly so as not to spook a possible suspect. To make them think that their story is checking out and let them get comfortable to hopefully trip up.

JMO, of course!

The detective never says he's a POI but says they think he has more info than what he's telling, whether it's that maybe he helped her "vanish" or meet up with someone she'd met, but I do think it's very odd that he's the only one that's never tried to call Katelyn.
Does anyone know how long K's mom was married to him?

According to the "Disappeared" episode, 6 or 7 years. They married when K was 7, I think, and divorced when she was a young teenager.

The simplest answer I see to this one points to the step dad. He had the most opportunity, although motive would be pure speculation.

I wish they would come out and say step-dad is a POI so we can do more sleuthing of him. I think we all have a pretty good idea he is, but it would be nice to have the green light.

This whole thing has been odd to me from the beginning tbh.

I totally understand her loved ones viewing her in a certain light, but after watching the show it actually makes me feel even more strongly that she could have left on her own. Her family was saying how happy she was and all that, but earlier that day she texted that she didn't want to be in either VA or AZ. Maybe she was putting up a front and was not wanting to go back to AZ.

Her family said that she was happy right before she disappeared and they didn't notice any unusual behavior, but the detective said that she was pretty distraught over what had happened at her friend's apartment.

It just seems like maybe she had a lot going on that her family was unaware of, and it could be possible for her to have left on her own and maybe her step-dad helped her do so. I am probably in the minority, I know!

Someone else may have sent that text... the 'I don't want to be here OR there' text.

I totally understand her loved ones viewing her in a certain light, but after watching the show it actually makes me feel even more strongly that she could have left on her own. Her family was saying how happy she was and all that, but earlier that day she texted that she didn't want to be in either VA or AZ. Maybe she was putting up a front and was not wanting to go back to AZ.

Her family said that she was happy right before she disappeared and they didn't notice any unusual behavior, but the detective said that she was pretty distraught over what had happened at her friend's apartment.

It just seems like maybe she had a lot going on that her family was unaware of, and it could be possible for her to have left on her own and maybe her step-dad helped her do so. I am probably in the minority, I know!

BBM
I am not watching disappeared.. can you help me out?? What happened at the friends apartment?

No that's understandable and makes more sense than a lot of theories. People many times forget when they see family members so adamant about what their loved ones "would NEVER do" that you never truly know what's inside anyone..if one of my loved ones disappeared I'd be saying the same thing and it would be highly unlikely but people do things all the time we never thought they could do. And you never know what's really inside. The only reason I have a problem with that theory is I just can't see search warrants and me being looked at as I'm responsible for someone's disappearance or worse and the stepdad taking all that on to cover for a former stepdaughter..that just seems like a stretch but again we never know. I'm leaning more towards he did something to her rather than assisting just because of what he has to gain versus the negatives of covering for her. But I don't think what you're saying is that unlikely either.. jmo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone else may have sent that text... the 'I don't want to be here OR there' text.

They said it was a social media conversation in the "early morning hours" on the day of her disappearance and this is what made LE say that she may have left on her own. It must've been a chat with someone because it wouldn't have been a fb post or her gf would have seen it as well. They weren't clear as to the time, but if it was the "early morning hours" it seems to me like it was before her mom dropped her at her step-dad's,

BBM
I am not watching disappeared.. can you help me out?? What happened at the friends apartment?

Drinking, playing cards. Sounds like it was her and a couple. The three ended up in bed together. According to Disappeared show.

It seems to me that if StepDad had assisted her in some way, why not tell LE at some point. He was not breaking any laws by doing so. And it would stop LE from loooking at him suspiciously.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IndigoRose
Back