VA VA - Kelly Catalano, 40, Chesterfield, 15 Jan 2010 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just talked to Kelly's family and what we know is this: 1) Kelly's machine was running Friday when she went out. Not sure if they leave their machines running during break so they do not have to start them up again when they come back. 2) The doors at her home were unlocked on Friday when police got there, HOWEVER, police were there for a full 24 hours...not sure what the means about the doors for Saturday. Supposedly they were not wide open on Saturday. 3) They are checking into who Al/Alan is but co-workers say they are not aware of anyone getting fired on that Friday.

snipped for space & BBM

This is a great insight, and makes complete sense (re: bolded portion).

As regards the first part of your post, IF there is any truth to there being another employee fired that morning (we have no confirmation of this yet, that I know of), then perhaps Kelly saw him walk out and was concerned enough to follow? Purely speculation. However, if it is the case, taking it a step further, maybe she even felt she had something to do w/ this person's firing? She had made the comment about thinking someone might've copied her keys (which I believe she kept at work), and then some of her photos of herself & her ex were said to have disappeared from the top of her toolbox, IIRC. What if her level of concern had recently been amped up and she felt she finally had to say something, and this led to one of her co-workers being terminated? (Hypothesis only!)

In both cases (1. The belief that someone might've entered her house when she was gone, and 2. When she discovered personal photos missing from her toolbox), it seems she made the assumption that someone was just fooling with her in a good-natured way. I think that's because SHE was so good-natured, it was probably difficult for her to get into that frame of mind and understand the thinking of someone who was warped, and may have been violating her personal space in these ways out of an obsession with her, or whatever.

Just tossing this out there in case it helps connect any dots. It very well may not!
ok think of this...so what if someone made keys to her house, the fact is, she came up missing from work. IF that had happened, they had ample time to go to her house while she was sleeping, etc., if they wanted to hurt her.

I cant get past then planned walk at 1130 and then the sudden one at 10-1030. Why? Someone help me move past this.
The pychic is nuts. I do however think it is very possible Kelly was being stalked if she thought someone was in her home. Kelly is very careful with her belongings and where she put them and if she choose to share them you better treat whatever it was good because she might find it personaly insulting. Kelly may have tried to blow it off to herself ,that someone was in her house,but she didnt truely blow it off. Kelly seemed to be making excuses for her friends which is why she told the neighbor she thought someone had been moving things in her home as a prank,AND it is my belief when Kelly mentioned this it was because she THOUGHT is was that neighbor who did it. It was maybe her way to ask her to stop. Then the neighbors reaction to it may have thrown her off.AS it might not have been the neighbor but Kelly was hoping it was. I wouldnt doubt if the conversation started with "did you come over while I was at work today?""
I am basing all this on the what I think , based on the description of Kelly from this thread. And i really do not think it to far out of the realm for Kelly to have thought that. Even if the neighbor wasnt in the home Kelly had wondered if it was. Because it is logical for Kelly to think that. Kelly should have mentioned this to someone else ,I have not heard it but if it is true and Kelly thought this then I would think someone else is just remaining quiet about the conversation.

If Kelly was going to commit suicide she would have made damn sure the cats had food! possibly even new homes.

After Kelly and I moved into the house in Aug 2006, I personally changed all of the locks in the house. 6 months later, Kelly said she thought we should change the locks again because she thought someone had been in the house. When asked what made her think this, she said, it was "just a feeling" she had. She also had mentioned the "practical joke" that someone might be playing on her by taking her keys from her tool box and making a copy of them. My point is, this is not an original idea... it had been said several years prior to her disappearance.

In the entire time I lived in the house, there was never even so much as one thing out of place. There was never any cash missing, never any credit cards, cds, dvds, stereos or televisions missing. Never. Not once. Not one single thing. Needless to say, we did not change the locks again, but Kelly changed the locks herself in August of 2009.

There are several homes surrounding Kelly's house and many of them have residents who are at home for a good part of the day. There is also an intersection of two prominent roads one house down from Kelly's house. It is unlikely that someone could be around the house without being noticed by at least one person in the neighborhood.

The last time we discussed pet care when she was going out of town, she said that I shouldn't worry about the cats, she had friends who would take care of them. (The "friend" turned out to be my mom.) After August 2009, I don't know who watched the cats for her, but they would not have required a key to the house, because the cats were kept outdoors. I'm not saying she didn't give a key to someone, I'm saying that she wouldn't have HAD to give them a key. Kelly was EXTREMELY protective of her belongings. In fact, she once wrongfully accused one of my best friends of "stealing" one of her travel sized bottles of shampoo.

Secondly, the neighbor is not even a plausible possibility. She is elderly and lives home alone. Kelly and I both know her and her family and we even attended her husband's funeral a few years back. There's just no way she would be involved at all. She loves Kelly and is worried sick about her.

As for the cats, they are outside cats. At first there were three, but the neighbor down the street "adopted" (without our consent), the calico cat. So, now there are two who stay underneath the neighbor's porch. If Kelly was going to end her own life, I'm sure the LAST thing on her mind would be finding a home for the cats. She would be concerned about a lot of other things, primarily her mother, her nephews and nieces, and the rest of her family...etc.

After Kelly and I moved into the house in Aug 2006, I personally changed all of the locks in the house. 6 months later, Kelly said she thought we should change the locks again because she thought someone had been in the house. When asked what made her think this, she said, it was "just a feeling" she had. She also had mentioned the "practical joke" that someone might be playing on her by taking her keys from her tool box and making a copy of them. My point is, this is not an original idea... it had been said several years prior to her disappearance.

In the entire time I lived in the house, there was never even so much as one thing out of place. There was never any cash missing, never any credit cards, cds, dvds, stereos or televisions missing. Never. Not once. Not one single thing. Needless to say, we did not change the locks again, but Kelly changed the locks herself in August of 2009.

There are several homes surrounding Kelly's house and many of them have residents who are at home for a good part of the day. There is also an intersection of two prominent roads one house down from Kelly's house. It is unlikely that someone could be around the house without being noticed by at least one person in the neighborhood.

The last time we discussed pet care when she was going out of town, she said that I shouldn't worry about the cats, she had friends who would take care of them. (The "friend" turned out to be my mom.) After August 2009, I don't know who watched the cats for her, but they would not have required a key to the house, because the cats were kept outdoors. I'm not saying she didn't give a key to someone, I'm saying that she wouldn't have HAD to give them a key. Kelly was EXTREMELY protective of her belongings. In fact, she once wrongfully accused one of my best friends of "stealing" one of her travel sized bottles of shampoo.

Secondly, the neighbor is not even a plausible possibility. She is elderly and lives home alone. Kelly and I both know her and her family and we even attended her husband's funeral a few years back. There's just no way she would be involved at all. She loves Kelly and is worried sick about her.

As for the cats, they are outside cats. At first there were three, but the neighbor down the street "adopted" (without our consent), the calico cat. So, now there are two who stay underneath the neighbor's porch. If Kelly was going to end her own life, I'm sure the LAST thing on her mind would be finding a home for the cats. She would be concerned about a lot of other things, primarily her mother, her nephews and nieces, and the rest of her family...etc.

Ok i am confused once again. If Kelly was EXTREMELY protective of her things, wouldn't she lock the doors? She locks them, she doesn't lock them. Which is it? I am not trying to start an arguement of any sorts but just when I think I might begin to understand, I don't.

*respectfully snipped and bolded by me....

I'm speechless CiV.....wow. I'm still processing that and I just don't know what to think. That's truly bizarre.

Ok i am confused once again. If Kelly was EXTREMELY protective of her things, wouldn't she lock the doors? She locks them, she doesn't lock them. Which is it? I am not trying to start an arguement of any sorts but just when I think I might begin to understand, I don't.

All I can tell you is that on many occasions, Kelly left the side door to the garage unlocked because she was in a hurry to get to work. On many occasions she left the front door unlocked. We discussed the necessity of her being more careful about locking the doors. She just understood that I would check them behind her, as did I.

Maybe possessive is a better word than protective.

ok think of this...so what if someone made keys to her house, the fact is, she came up missing from work. IF that had happened, they had ample time to go to her house while she was sleeping, etc., if they wanted to hurt her.

True. But maybe this person never intended to hurt her (?). I could picture a scenario where some warped admirer may have been motivated to "snoop," have the privilege or "thrill" of being in her house, or whatever.

Being imbalanced, perhaps they could snap and do harm given some certain type of trigger along with the right (or wrong!) opportunity.

Just thoughts....

True. But maybe this person never intended to hurt her (?). I could picture a scenario where some warped admirer may have been motivated to "snoop," have the privilege or "thrill" of being in her house, or whatever.

Being imbalanced, perhaps they could snap and do harm given some certain type of trigger along with the right (or wrong!) opportunity.

Just thoughts....

I'm just saying, it wasn't her neighbor.

Just thoughts....
regardless if they wanted to hurt her or not, IF they had keys to her house, they had easier access to her. She lives alone so there is no one there to help fend off someone. Plus if she is sleeping, she might be groggy etc. IF someone has her, they probably fought with her against her will...in public at that WITH the chance of being caught. IF they are in her home, the lights are out, etc., they could probably get by with more with less of a chance of getting caught.

regardless if they wanted to hurt her or not, IF they had keys to her house, they had easier access to her. She lives alone so there is no one there to help fend off someone. Plus if she is sleeping, she might be groggy etc. IF someone has her, they probably fought with her against her will...in public at that WITH the chance of being caught. IF they are in her home, the lights are out, etc., they could probably get by with more with less of a chance of getting caught.

I get what you're saying, but I was coming at this from the angle of thinking "what if" there was a stalker and he was a co-worker of Kelly's, and "what if" he was fired that morning and had left the building, then "what if" Kelly saw him leave and was concerned enough to follow, and ??? (who knows what) ensued, and Kelly never returned.

I wasn't looking at it from the standpoint of this person lurking outside, waiting for his chance, so to speak. It would've made more sense to use the key in that case, as you suggest.

I get what you're saying, but I was coming at this from the angle of thinking "what if" there was a stalker and he was a co-worker of Kelly's, and "what if" he was fired that morning and had left the building, then "what if" Kelly saw him leave and was concerned enough to follow, and ??? (who knows what) ensued, and Kelly never returned.

I wasn't looking at it from the standpoint of this person lurking outside, waiting for his chance, so to speak. It would've made more sense to use the key in that case, as you suggest.
well from working in HR once up on a time, when I fired someone, I always had guys follow them at least to the door and make sure they left the property. Employees were NOT allowed to converse with them on the premises. Of course that is not saying that every job is like that. Who knows? I am sure if Kelly knew someone had gotten fired, other people would have known it too. Again, anything is possible.

I'm just saying, it wasn't her neighbor.

I must've been unclear in some way, as I'd never considered that possibility. I thought what Soulmagent was suggesting was that maybe a scenario something like the following had occurred (Soulmagent can correct me if I'm wrong with this, in which case I apologize in advance):

- First, Kelly believes she notices things out-of-place in her home. (If I understand your comments correctly, it's your feeling that Kelly sometimes thought this even when you couldn't see any evidence of it.)

- She considers how they might have gotten that way, and knows her neighbor has a key. (Which, from what you've said, may not actually have been the case, but I think Soulmagent was going on this assumption, since we knew she was feeding the cats and if a key was to be given out, this is the type of person who would likely have a duplicate.)

- She wonders if it's possible that the neighbor has entered the house for some reason, so makes some type of comment about it to her.

- When the neighbor's reaction is such that she realizes she had nothing to do with it, she jumps to the idea that maybe someone at her work could've possibly copied the set of keys she keeps there.

I honestly don't think anyone was suggesting that the neighbor had anything to do with her disappearance. I was just saying I thought that Soulmagent's theory made sense to me about the conversation that had occurred between Kelly and her neighbor.

Clear as mud, I'm sure!

well from working in HR once up on a time, when I fired someone, I always had guys follow them at least to the door and make sure they left the property. Employees were NOT allowed to converse with them on the premises. Of course that is not saying that every job is like that. Who knows? I am sure if Kelly knew someone had gotten fired, other people would have known it too. Again, anything is possible.

Sounds like a wise policy! And at this point, we don't even know that there was anybody fired. We only know that someone on another site claimed so.

Like everyone, I'm concerned for Kelly, and would like to know what really happened, and where she is at.

Right now, I feel like I'm looking at a puzzle with most of the pieces still missing, and no clear picture.

If Kelly was going to commit suicide she would have made damn sure the cats had food! possibly even new homes.

I was way behind reading so I thought this was a good one... then read that the cats were outdoor cats...so nevermind...erasing my thoughts like they never happened.

Sounds like a wise policy! And at this point, we don't even know that there was anybody fired. We only know that someone on another site claimed so.

Like everyone, I'm concerned for Kelly, and would like to know what really happened, and where she is at.

Right now, I feel like I'm looking at a puzzle with most of the pieces still missing, and no clear picture.
I agree with you on the puzzle and missing pieces. I know the family is looking into whether a person was fired from BPA on that Friday but so far have been told that no one knows a thing about it, according to co-workers.

I wonder if anyone noticed Kelly "clock watching" before she said she was going outside at 10 or 10:30....then, MAYBE, it could have been she was meeting someone, as other posters have mentioned.

Also...being as it was a larger place, with welding machinery - which, by all accounts, is pretty expensive...not to mention the materials used to do it....one would think there'd be video camera's that basically covered the entire area around the plant - parking lots....around the periphery of the property...other buildings....has anyone heard from Kelly's family if LE pulled all this and looked at it?? Maybe this has been already been answered in prior posts?

I wonder if anyone noticed Kelly "clock watching" before she said she was going outside at 10 or 10:30....then, MAYBE, it could have been she was meeting someone, as other posters have mentioned.

Also...being as it was a larger place, with welding machinery - which, by all accounts, is pretty expensive...not to mention the materials used to do it....one would think there'd be video camera's that basically covered the entire area around the plant - parking lots....around the periphery of the property...other buildings....has anyone heard from Kelly's family if LE pulled all this and looked at it?? Maybe this has been already been answered in prior posts?
the last I heard from Kelly's family was that police were looking in to it...whether that means they have camera's, I don't know. Not sure if we could get a close up of the building to see if we could see any cameras mounted to the top or sides. ConcernedInVA might know this since she has been in the building or ConcernedForKelly might know since he used to work there.

I always seem to pop in just to "note a couple of things".

It's my understanding that Kelly was putting extra hours in the day she went missing. Was she to work a full shift? If she was putting in a half day, she might change the "usual" time she would go for a walk.

I read the source of the whole "stalker" angle. I thought it was the psychic that said that.

Just talked to Kelly's family and what we know is this: 1) Kelly's machine was running Friday when she went out. Not sure if they leave their machines running during break so they do not have to start them up again when they come back. 2) The doors at her home were unlocked on Friday when police got there, HOWEVER, police were there for a full 24 hours...not sure what the means about the doors for Saturday. Supposedly they were not wide open on Saturday. 3) They are checking into who Al/Alan is but co-workers say they are not aware of anyone getting fired on that Friday.

Don't know if it matters, or if this is the same type of machinery...I'm sure the guys in the shop would know better...but, it seems, IMO, a pretty involved process to shut it down...so maybe they let them run during the day??

http://www.ehow.com/how_5656176_close-down-welding-equipment.html

I always seem to pop in just to "note a couple of things".

It's my understanding that Kelly was putting extra hours in the day she went missing. Was she to work a full shift? If she was putting in a half day, she might change the "usual" time she would go for a walk.

I read the source of the whole "stalker" angle. I thought it was the psychic that said that.
I would suppose that she would have worked her full day. They had normal break times BUT were allowed to take "additional" breaks if they completed a project, etc., before starting on another.

As far as the stalking issue, I know some things were posted by the psychic, some by someone else about ConcernedInVa being the stalker and the other was posted by ConcernedInVA wondering who the "stalker" was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CAC6968