Recovered/Located VA - Lauren Cook, 30, & 3 children 7,5 & 2. Maybe travelling in a blue 2013 Chrysler van, Franklin County, 5 Sept 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well that answers a lot of questions. Why her family didn't seem concerned about her being missing. Aparently she was reported missing by the court, not family and that's why we haven't heard one peep from her family about this, because she's not missing. Anyway, good to realize those beautiful children are very likely safe. I wonder what she's being charged with, in domestic court.

View attachment 448128A husband is speaking out for the first time since his wife and three children were reported missing out of Franklin County. (Credit: Jordan Cook)

At the time, he provided us with a statement:

"They said this court date had already been rescheduled from a previous date of September 5, when she did not appear."

Okay. What's this about? She was supposed to be in court on the date she disappeared? Were they separating/divorcing? Was he about to lose custody, or was she?

This doesn't sound good.

jmo

The Franklin County Sheriff’s Office said Lauren Cook and her kids, 2-year-old Elijah, 5-year-old Hannah, and 7-year-old Benjamin Cook are still missing.
In a post on Tuesday night, the sheriff’s office said the woman did not appear for a scheduled court appearance, which was originally rescheduled from Sept. 5.

According to the sheriff’s office, family members had lost contact with Cook and the kids several days prior.

Deputies told 10 News Tuesday afternoon that Cook’s husband said his family is safe but that he hadn’t communicated with them.
Deputies said they have to lay eyes on them and make sure they are all okay before the missing persons alert can be cleared.

"If the husband has had contact with Lauren since then, we aren’t aware of it," Huston said Tuesday. "Lauren Cook and the three children are still entered as missing. Law enforcement (wherever it may be) has to lay eyes on her and the children in order for them to be removed as missing from the system."

Well that answers a lot of questions. Why her family didn't seem concerned about her being missing. Aparently she was reported missing by the court, not family and that's why we haven't heard one peep from her family about this, because she's not missing. Anyway, good to realize those beautiful children are very likely safe. I wonder what she's being charged with, in domestic court.
[BBM]

I'm not so sure about this. It's not looking good imo. There was no activity on bank cards, cell, etc. but in @imstilla.grandma's link it is said

"On September 14, Investigators confirmed that Lauren and her children were in Litchfield, Illinois. They said the family has connections in various other states, and it is suspected that they are not in Franklin County. To clear Lauren and her children from being “missing persons”, the Sheriff's Office said a law enforcement agency must make in-person contact with them in order to confirm that they are okay and not under duress. Until then, they will remain in local and national databases as “missing”.

How did they confirm it? Bank card use? Phone? That isn't fool-proof confirmation imo Or was this journalistic license by that reporter? Next article seems to contradict it.

And, yet a local LE agency can't see them with their own eyes to clear them off the missing list?

If I was aware that LE and many others all over the country were looking for me and my kids I do not believe that I would stay silent and hidden if we were all perfectly fine

I also don't understand the husband's comment (the husband who didn't speak for more than 10 days):

"I have heard from my wife, and I'm sure she and my children are doing well. We ask that our family's privacy be respected at this time."

He's "sure" they are doing well? He asks for privacy during this time? What time? This time that your wife and children are missing and have been for nearly 15 days? That time?

Last edited:
"If the husband has had contact with Lauren since then, we aren’t aware of it," Huston said Tuesday. "Lauren Cook and the three children are still entered as missing. Law enforcement (wherever it may be) has to lay eyes on her and the children in order for them to be removed as missing from the system."

This sounds more rational than "Nothing to see here. I'm sure they're fine. We ask for privacy though"

jmo

That answers that. But great work by Simply Southern. There has long been an underground of high quality weed growing in Franklin County, I believe with the involvement of the old moonshining families. The Utah connection was surprising to me.

Not good for small children to be mixed up in, in my opinion, AND in my experience as being once such a child.
I had the Utah connection early on, <modsnip> I also suspected she was on the run with the children. I stated early on she may have hit up the hippie railroad and bet dollars to donuts she's off-grid.

Its very concerning when families hop around to different communities, home schooling, off grid living and drugs involved. Yes, they grow, sell, consult and sell seeds for pot at their store in Boones Mill, VA (Franklin County)

Moo ... I believe her court appearance is related to the children and not domestic violence. Also, think the husband is covering for her, stating he's not spoken with her. If he doesn't know where she is, he's can't be charged.

Gut feeling from the get go this was pretty serious when the missing persons was issued.

I do believe there is more to come. If she doesn't turn herself in, US Marshalls will come knocking. No matter what the husband states, she missed a court appearance for juvenile and domestic court, she took the children and went into hiding to escape the court system. The judge will issue a warrant, we don't fool around in this part of the state.

All my opinion

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the Utah connection early on, <modsnip> I also suspected she was on the run with the children. I stated early on she may have hit up the hippie railroad and bet dollars to donuts she's off-grid.

Its very concerning when families hop around to different communities, home schooling, off grid living and drugs involved. Yes, they grow, sell, consult and sell seeds for pot at their store in Boones Mill, VA (Franklin County)

Moo ... I believe her court appearance is related to the children and not domestic violence. Also, think the husband is covering for her, stating he's not spoken with her. If he doesn't know where she is, he's can't be charged.

Gut feeling from the get go this was pretty serious when the missing persons was issued.

I do believe there is more to come. If she doesn't turn herself in, US Marshalls will come knocking. No matter what the husband states, she missed a court appearance for juvenile and domestic court, she took the children and went into hiding to escape the court system. The judge will issue a warrant, we don't fool around in this part of the state.

All my opinion

You really think she's fine? This case is odd imo. But then again, there are some very odd people in this world.

I had the Utah connection early on, from local source. I also suspected she was on the run with the children. I stated early on she may have hit up the hippie railroad and bet dollars to donuts she's off-grid.

All my opinion
I am missing something here, what is the connection to the store in Boones Mill? Are they co-op members, owners, customers?

"They said this court date had already been rescheduled from a previous date of September 5, when she did not appear."

Okay. What's this about? She was supposed to be in court on the date she disappeared? Were they separating/divorcing? Was he about to lose custody, or was she?

This doesn't sound good.

jmo
Moo... Just a wild guess, the J and D appearance is related to pot and the children. In the second FCSD post they stated there had never been DV call to the home.

VA law prevents anyone under the age of 21 from entering a tobacco or hemp/pot shop. Could the mom have been a worker at the shop or maybe dropped by with the kids, or had product in her vehicle with the kids? Moo...

Has someone been on a road trip? Using and losing a phone after the date she was "presumed missing"?

Speculation only.
The phone pinged 9/5 in Lexington, VA, she could have headed west on Rt 64 to Illinois, which FCSD states was her location on 9/14. They did not give a current location, I suspect she has changed locations.

I believe she had the phone and ditched it in Lexington, cut off communication with the family.

If you're asking, could/would someone else have taken her phone on a road trip, to cover for her, absolutely. The hippie network is a very close knit group.
Moo...

Last edited:

Sergeant Megan Huston said families don't often go missing when both parents have custody of the children.

"Usually you see where a non-custodial parent will run off with the kids, which is not this situation," Huston said. "There is concern as to where she is at and where the kids are at after it has been over a week now since anybody has had communication with her."

Huston said Cook's husband is worried.

"He's upset, as any parent would be, of 'where are my children at,'" Huston explained. "We don't have any signs that she is in danger, but we're just trying to locate them and make sure they're safe."

Bolding by me.

Pulling this article forward because I’m finding it very odd that a week ago Dad was upset and wondering where his kids were at, but now is saying everything is fine and that “contrary to media reports, my wife isn’t missing … she seems fine”

WTF? I don’t like it but that’s just my opinion

Well isn't this a strange situation ... I wonder where they are ... and why. Not even enough information to speculate ... fully aware the husband/father is a victim ... until he's not ... waiting for LE to give us more. Praying for the mom and her littles. MOO

<MOD NOTE: Quoted post was removed as off topic. Leaving the box so members can see who is being referred to.
Thanks for all your insight and info.

I get the impression from some of your links that this family moved to W. Va to establish a legitimate business, but, aside from the legal hurdles, there may be a rocky relationship of distrust on both sides, between them and the legal system. In addition, them being from the west, perhaps not fitting in to the social structures/cultural attitudes back east.

I hope all are truly well and this is resolved soon.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08