Found Deceased VA - Lina Toot, 83, house door was left open, Moneta, Bedford County, 21 Feb 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
LINA-TOOT.jpg

At 1:35 p.m. today, Bedford County 911 received a call reporting Lina Toot, a 83 year old female missing from Toot Boulevard in Moneta. The caller stated that when he arrived at the home the door was standing open. He also said the woman lives alone and she was last seen at 8:00 p.m. last night. She is a white female, 5’ 3”, 113 lbs. and has gray hair.

Bedford County Sheriff’s deputies, a K-9 from the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office along with volunteers from Bedford County fire and rescue are on the scene searching at this time.

Anyone with information on her possible whereabouts is asked to call 911 or 586-7827.

Searching For Missing Elderly Woman

Bedford Co. deputies searching for missing 83-year-old woman

Bedford County Sheriff's Office VA

LINA-TOOT.jpg

At 1:35 p.m. today, Bedford County 911 received a call reporting Lina Toot, a 83 year old female missing from Toot Boulevard in Moneta. The caller stated that when he arrived at the home the door was standing open. He also said the woman lives alone and she was last seen at 8:00 p.m. last night. She is a white female, 5’ 3”, 113 lbs. and has gray hair.

Bedford County Sheriff’s deputies, a K-9 from the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office along with volunteers from Bedford County fire and rescue are on the scene searching at this time.

Anyone with information on her possible whereabouts is asked to call 911 or 586-7827.

Searching For Missing Elderly Woman

Bedford Co. deputies searching for missing 83-year-old woman

Bedford County Sheriff's Office VA

[BBM]
According to your second link, she has dementia, and foul play is not suspected.

Poor little lady. This is not good at all. Out all night, exposed to the elements. I hope she will be found safe. The temperature in Moneta, Virginia went down to 33F last night.

BEDFORD COUNTY, VA (WDBJ) - Bedford County deputies say the search continues for a missing 83-year-old woman from Moneta.

Authorities say they plan to continue searching for Lina Toot until 10 p.m. tonight. Over 100 people have been involved in the search.

Deputies say the search will resume in the morning if Toot is not found.

Search continues for missing 83-year-old Virginia woman

Yesterday afternoon, our sheriff's dept did the automatic phone calls to those with a landline, and said to check your outbuildings for her. As far as I know, she still hasn't been located, I don't know if they've found any footprints, or signs of her.

Bedford County authorities searching for missing Moneta woman

On Sunday, more than 100 people were involved in the effort to locate Toot, the sheriff’s office said. Search efforts will be scaled back Monday, but K-9 and air searches will continue, according to officials. The ground search will continue based on the results of the next several days.

I hope and pray she is found - I had a stepmom of 30 years (Mom died when I was a teen) who had Alzheimer's and after she died Dad got dementia. I had to move him into assisted living, he had to be watched constantly or he would just wander off and he refused to live with family far away, wanting to stay in the little town where he'd outlived two wives and two kids. It's heartbreaking. My engineer husband is 25 years younger than me. I told him if I go into nursing care find one with a pub so more people will visit.

It is very strange there have been no sightings of her at all. Again I don't know if any footprints, articles of clothing, etc have been found. The weather has been awful in the past week. Rain almost daily, snow one day, very high winds the past two days. I don't think someone not use to being outside could have survived this long without proper shelter and food.

I'm really having my doubts that she left that home willingly....

If she has sundowners... then why wasn't a family member or hired caretaker there in the evenings and night? That's the time those with sundowners typically show the most confusion and wandering. I know they said she doesn't have a history of wandering. Of course there is always a first time, so this could be her first time. But still, I don't understand having someone come check on her, or help her during the morning hours and not when her symptoms would have been the worse. Defies logic.

If she has sundowners... then why wasn't a family member or hired caretaker there in the evenings and night? That's the time those with sundowners typically show the most confusion and wandering. I know they said she doesn't have a history of wandering. Of course there is always a first time, so this could be her first time. But still, I don't understand having someone come check on her, or help her during the morning hours and not when her symptoms would have been the worse. Defies logic.

Reliable, affordable overnight, in-home care for an elderly patient with dementia is very expensive and very difficult to find and even moreso in a tiny rural town. It can also be very difficult to take an independent adult from what is, for them, a very comfortable and familiar living situation. Moneta is a tiny little town, there were likely very few options available that don't involve moving her far away from family roots and community. Many patients with dementia do eventually start wandering as the disease progresses, but we don't know how much the family knew or could have anticipated this.

Reliable, affordable overnight, in-home care for an elderly patient with dementia is very expensive and very difficult to find and even moreso in a tiny rural town. It can also be very difficult to take an independent adult from what is, for them, a very comfortable and familiar living situation. Moneta is a tiny little town, there were likely very few options available that don't involve moving her far away from family roots and community. Many patients with dementia do eventually start wandering as the disease progresses, but we don't know how much the family knew or could have anticipated this.
Agreed - my Dad's care in the home was about $6000 a month and got up to $15000 a month when he needed 24 hour care to be safe and in his small town if the nurses' aide got sick or the roads were bad there were no back up, which is why he went into assisted living before winter hit again. There is no employment in my profession or my husband's within 4 hours of where he lives so moving back there wasn't an option for me and he refused to come to Chicago. I was lucky in that my day job and author income covered it, but for most family's that's just undoable.

Divers comb through ponds attempting to find missing 83-year-old

Dive teams spent their day Tuesday looking for a missing 83-year-old Moneta woman.

upload_2019-2-27_0-21-23.pngupload_2019-2-27_0-21-36.png

[...]

Everyone who is helping out is not giving up.

"If it's that cold and windy, like Meredith was saying, jump in something, take shelter," Cardwell said. "Something like that...not giving up."

Divers say they will be back Wednesday to check ponds.

The Moneta Fire Department will also continue to saw through a thicket to be able to see more clearly as they continue to look for Toot.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadeeire
Back