VA VA - Mamta Kafle Bhatt, 28, mom & pediatric nurse, 'involuntary missing,' husband reported her missing Aug 5, Manassas Park, 31 July 2024 *Arrest* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
SEP 16, 2024
Already on a seemingly expedited timeline, Naresh Bhatt, 37, is scheduled to appear for a criminal trial on Dec. 9 to 11 and 16 to 18, though these times could change. He was charged with Prohibition Against Concealment of a Dead Body in connection with Mamta’s disappearance.

Prosecutors in the courtroom said the December trial date is "not convenient or fair to the commonwealth," due to the long list of witnesses they need to speak with and pushed for a February 2025 trial. The defense said they weren't available during that time.

SEP 16, 2024
Already on a seemingly expedited timeline, Naresh Bhatt, 37, is scheduled to appear for a criminal trial on Dec. 9 to 11 and 16 to 18, though these times could change. He was charged with Prohibition Against Concealment of a Dead Body in connection with Mamta’s disappearance.

Prosecutors in the courtroom said the December trial date is "not convenient or fair to the commonwealth," due to the long list of witnesses they need to speak with and pushed for a February 2025 trial. The defense said they weren't available during that time.

Defendant getting his first 'break.'

MOO - IANAE - YMMV - etc.

9/16/24

Investigators said they found blood primarily in the main bedroom and the adjoining bathroom, and are still awaiting test results to determine if the blood is that of Mamta Bhatt.

On Friday, the suspect’s public defender claimed that Mamta is alive and asked investigators to question her coworker and the driver who picked her up and why she left. CBS 9 reports.

[..]

The judge denied the defense access to the couple’s cell phone data from and GPS records from Naresh Bhatt’s vehicle. The judge also ruled that prosecutors are not required to provide the police reports.

Is anyone willing to give me a synopsis of some of the key things about this case that aren’t apparent in any random article? What do we know about the relationship and possible DV?
Are there any good articles I can be directed to?

Thanks friends!
The couple was married apx 3 years. In the past year they had a baby, bought a house, bought a new car, and both husband and wife started new jobs. Wife was thinking of leaving the husband and posted on several message boards. There was domestic violence and police had been called to the house previously.

The couple was married apx 3 years. In the past year they had a baby, bought a house, bought a new car, and both husband and wife started new jobs. Wife was thinking of leaving the husband and posted on several message boards. There was domestic violence and police had been called to the house previously.
Thanks so much!

SEP 16, 2024
“Now it'll be time for 'put up or shut up' for each side," he explained. "Does the Commonwealth have enough evidence and does the defense raise the issue of, 'Is there not proof beyond a reasonable doubt?'"

"The battle lines have been drawn," Fishwick added. "Time will tell if this strategy of the defense works.”

- former U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Virginia who now does criminal defense

Every seat in the courtroom was filled as a few family members and former colleagues showed up to Monday's hearing along with dozens of supporters from the community. Many hadn’t known Mamta before.

“Everyone who is standing here today is a warrior for Mamta, and every time people show up, it’s going to make Naresh Bhatt feel a little more uncomfortable,” Holly Wirth, who worked with Mamta Kafle Bhatt, said.

Prince William Circuit Court
Case #: CR24002302-00
Defendant: BHATT, NARESH DATT
Code Section: 18.2-323.02
Charge: CONCEAL DEAD BODY

12/18/202410:00 AMJURY TRIAL
12/17/202410:00 AMJURY TRIAL
12/16/202410:00 AMJURY TRIAL
12/11/202410:00 AMJURY TRIAL
12/10/202410:00 AMJURY TRIAL
12/09/202410:00 AMJURY TRIAL
12/09/202409:00 AMARRAIGNMENT
11/20/202401:00 PMPRE-TRIAL

Virginia Judiciary Online Case Information System

SEP 16, 2024
“Now it'll be time for 'put up or shut up' for each side," he explained. "Does the Commonwealth have enough evidence and does the defense raise the issue of, 'Is there not proof beyond a reasonable doubt?'"

"The battle lines have been drawn," Fishwick added. "Time will tell if this strategy of the defense works.”

- former U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Virginia who now does criminal defense

Every seat in the courtroom was filled as a few family members and former colleagues showed up to Monday's hearing along with dozens of supporters from the community. Many hadn’t known Mamta before.

“Everyone who is standing here today is a warrior for Mamta, and every time people show up, it’s going to make Naresh Bhatt feel a little more uncomfortable,” Holly Wirth, who worked with Mamta Kafle Bhatt, said.
From the quoted link:

Naresh Bhatt's attorneys argued for other evidence, including car and cellphone GPS data, but the judge did not grant those requests.

This is very strange to me. Although the Court has set a trial date, there is something "off" to me with the rules of discovery. In other news, I also read that the pooled blood found inside the house hasn't come back yet as testing positive for MKB.

Why would the defense be denied car, phone, and GPS evidence?

LE served Google a search warrant last month requesting location data and browsing history.

SEP 17, 2024
7News obtained a copy of the 20-page document, which also requests, among other things, Naresh Bhatt’s account information, linked social media accounts, Google search history and map search history between July 27 and August 1. The affidavit for the search warrant states Naresh's Google account has "location-specific data pertinent to the discovery of Ms. Kafle's whereabouts."

From the quoted link:

Naresh Bhatt's attorneys argued for other evidence, including car and cellphone GPS data, but the judge did not grant those requests.

This is very strange to me. Although the Court has set a trial date, there is something "off" to me with the rules of discovery. In other news, I also read that the pooled blood found inside the house hasn't come back yet as testing positive for MKB.

Why would the defense be denied car, phone, and GPS evidence
In my opinion, the court determined these were not relevant to his current charges. If more charges are made, his defense would have these provided to them.

Allowing the defense to have them now while the investigation is ongoing could allow the defendant to interfere with the police investigation including intimidating witnesses.

SEP 16, 2024

The prosecution says there was pooling blood on the floor but the defense made a comment about almost no blood except what would be typical in a home, found. What gives?

From the quoted link:

Why would the defense be denied car, phone, and GPS evidence?

The only thing I thought of is that the investigation remains ongoing. I’m guessing the judge understands that the charges are likely to change soon.

Otherwise, they’re going to be entitled to that discovery at some point and I think it has to be so they have enough time to prepare a defense for trial.

The prosecution says there was pooling blood on the floor but the defense made a comment about almost no blood except what would be typical in a home, found. What gives?
The defense is downplaying the blood evidence. There was pooling and splatter, and somewhere there's an article that states the bed was moved to cover a bloodstain. I'll see if I can find it. MOO

A few photos here:

Police found evidence that a body had been dragged, and large amounts of blood were evident at the home of Mamta Kafle Bhatt, according to court documents from her husband's arraignment Friday morning.

Investigators say they found the Bhatt home in disarray, with evidence of blood mainly in the primary bedroom and corresponding bathroom.

ETA:

After completing their search warrant, investigators found what appeared to be blood pooling and blood splatter in the home’s main bedroom; the bed appeared to be moved, blocking a closet; light pink stains were found on bedroom carpeting after the bed was removed; and pools of blood were found in the bathroom “as if something was dragged across the floor,” along with blood pooling on the shower floor, WJLA reported from Friday’s arraignment.

When investigators removed the bathtub, they saw what they believed to be blood in the caulking of the bathtub, WJLA reported.

Last edited:
The defense is downplaying the blood evidence. There was pooling and splatter, and somewhere there's an article that states the bed was moved to cover a bloodstain. I'll see if I can find it. MOO

A few photos here:

Police found evidence that a body had been dragged, and large amounts of blood were evident at the home of Mamta Kafle Bhatt, according to court documents from her husband's arraignment Friday morning.

Investigators say they found the Bhatt home in disarray, with evidence of blood mainly in the primary bedroom and corresponding bathroom.

ETA:

After completing their search warrant, investigators found what appeared to be blood pooling and blood splatter in the home’s main bedroom; the bed appeared to be moved, blocking a closet; light pink stains were found on bedroom carpeting after the bed was removed; and pools of blood were found in the bathroom “as if something was dragged across the floor,” along with blood pooling on the shower floor, WJLA reported from Friday’s arraignment.

When investigators removed the bathtub, they saw what they believed to be blood in the caulking of the bathtub, WJLA reported.
Yes, but unless I am misreading your post, none of that explains the discrepancy in what the defense says as opposed to what prosecution says. In fact, it only heightens it. How can defense say the blood found is what could be found in any typical home, if they've heard what we've heard about what investigators found? You say the defense is downplaying the blood evidence. Aren't they LYING about the blood evidence? I thought attorneys weren't allowed to lie. Oh, wait, that only applies in court, I guess?

OK, well, then there's your explanation, imo, gitana1 (who originally posed these questions). But since OP is a lawyer him or herself, you already knew this. So do you find it unethical for his defense attorney to be saying this to the media? Or is this pretty much par for the course (it may be both as well). But since you posed the question, it seems like you might find it surprising?

ETA sorry, I know I've combined my replies to both pommymommy and gitana1 into this one reply, so hope it's not confusing. Also, I know there's a way to tag, if that's the correct term, another user's name within a post, so that they will see it, but I don't know how to do that. Or I would. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018
Back