VA VA - Mamta Kafle Bhatt, 28, mom & pediatric nurse, 'involuntary missing,' husband reported her missing Aug 5, Manassas Park, 31 July 2024 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This reminded me of a story. I had a friend who'd lived in the U.S. for quite a while and spoke excellent English with only a trace of an accent.

He was once watching a tv show and the cop told the bad guy, "You have the right to counsel." He wanted to know if it was really true that when you're arrested you can ask to speak with a therapist.
My late stepfather, who was a Cook Islander who spoke English his whole life (though it wasn't his first language) used to use gender pronouns interchangeably. Especially with pets. Other things, he'd mix up, too. My mum's best friend who is Aboriginal was removed from her parents and institutionalised at a very young age due to governmental policies of cultural genocide and has the same quirks of language, even though the institution punished speaking anything else but English. Her first language was Kriol, and always will be.

Equal access in the court systems and other areas cannot be understated as to its importance. Just because you can order a coffee and chat with your colleagues does not mean you understand the quirks of jargon specific to legal settings.

MOO

My late stepfather, who was a Cook Islander who spoke English his whole life (though it wasn't his first language) used to use gender pronouns interchangeably. Especially with pets. Other things, he'd mix up, too. My mum's best friend who is Aboriginal was removed from her parents and institutionalised at a very young age due to governmental policies of cultural genocide and has the same quirks of language, even though the institution punished speaking anything else but English. Her first language was Kriol, and always will be.

Equal access in the court systems and other areas cannot be understated as to its importance. Just because you can order a coffee and chat with your colleagues does not mean you understand the quirks of jargon specific to legal settings.

MOO

Agreed -- also applies to many of us fluent in English....

SEP 5, 2024
The Manassas Park police chief said Thursday’s searches across the city in the Mamta Kafle Bhatt case “resulted in nothing of evidentiary value being located.”

“The Manassas Park Police Department would like to thank the community for being patient and allowing our officers to conduct these searches,” Chief Mario Lugo said in a two-sentence update around 4:20 p.m.

“We have multiple agencies, multiple witnesses who are out of the state — out of the country — that we have to prepare for,” Sweet said in court.

Chief Public Defender Tracey Lenox argued that Bhatt was still entitled to a speedy trial, despite prosecutors’ wish for more time, adding that his defense couldn’t control whether the arrest was premature.

“They chose to charge in this,” Lenox said, adding: “I understand the inconvenience to the Commonwealth, but this is where we are.”

I wonder if the PD is playing it safe by not stating they found something of "evidentiary value" to through NB off their scent. What do you all think?

It's about equal access for all to participate in their defense. Court language is complicated and completely different to conversational English. Nobody should be at a disadvantage in a courtroom because of their ESL status or sensory disability.

MOO
If he had not been in the US Army, I would be OK with this but....

I am trying to catch up on this case, I'm a few pages behind ( busy day) I just want to say my heart goes out to the searchers. GOD LOVE THEM! Also, having an interpreter is so important so that there is no misunderstanding or reason to say he isn't being treated fairly or didn't know what was being said. IMO. I'm back to reading. Great job everyone for all for the info.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pastureraisedoffroadpoke
Back