VA VA - Mary Harrison, 31, Hampton, 6 Oct 1982

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score

Photo date: approximately 1978
Mary Everette Harrison
Hampton City County, Virginia
31 year old black/african american female

Height (inches)
Weight (pounds)

[TD="class: view_field"]54.0 to 57.0[/TD]

[TD="class: view_field"]95.0 to 115.0[/TD]

Hair: Black; Possibly in an afro style or braids. May have been wearing a black wig, unknown style.
Eyes: Brown; Possible glasses

Distinctive features:
Burn mark on outside of thigh and arm on same side, but unknown on which side.
Both ears Pierced

Circumstances: The victim was last seen on 10/06/82 by her children. The children woke on the morning of 10/07/82 and the victim was gone. There was no note and the victim did not take her purse. The victim did not have a vehicle.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/9382/

Mary Everette Harrison – The Charley Project

• Missing Since: 10/06/1982
  • Missing From: Hampton, Virginia
  • Classification: Endangered Missing
  • Sex: Female
  • Race: Black
  • Height and Weight: 4'6 - 4'9, 95 - 115 pounds
  • Medical Conditions: Harrison has a history of drug abuse.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: African-American female. Black hair, brown eyes. Harrison may wear her hair in braids or in an Afro style. She may also wear a black wig. Her ears are pierced she has burn marks on the outside of her thigh and arm on one side of her body. She may wear eyeglasses.
Details of Disappearance
Harrison was last seen by her four daughters at their house on Shell Road in Hampton, Virginia on October 6, 1982. When the girls woke up the next morning, she was gone, without leaving a note.

Harrison had occasionally left her daughters alone for days at a time without warning, but she would always return eventually. After her October 1982 disappearance, she was never heard from again. She left her purse behind, and also left brand-new clothing with price tags still attached, hanging in the closet. She didn't have access to a vehicle at the time of her disappearance.

Harrison's daughters were aged between six and twelve in 1982. She never officially divorced their father, but they lived separately for a time during the girls' childhood. Her oldest daughter stated her parents frequently argued, her father was an alcoholic and Harrison was addicted to drugs and an abusive parent.

The four children stayed with various different relatives for two years their mother went missing, then moved in with their maternal aunt, who raised them until adulthood. Their father died in a fire in 1986.

There's been no indication of Harrison's whereabouts, and no activity on her Social Security number, driver's license or credit record, since 1982. Her sister believes she might have left to escape the stress of being a single mother, but her daughters believe she is dead. Her disappearance is considered suspicious due to the passage of time.

Investigating Agency
  • Hampton Police Division 757-727-6532
Source Information

Disappearance of mother of four still a mystery

Ashley Kelly

HAMPTON — When Mary Harrison's four daughters woke up the morning of Oct. 6, 1982, she was gone. Her absence was not unusual.
Harrison, 31, often left the girls alone in their two-bedroom house on Shell Road, but she usually returned days later. This time, she left without a suitcase. She left brand new clothes hanging in her closet with price tags.
She left without saying goodbye.
"I thought she went to the corner store and she would be back — but she never came back," said Sherrena Harrison, her oldest daughter. She was 12 when her mother went missing. The other girls were 11, 8 and 6.
Police are re-investigating her disappearance and now consider it suspicious because of the amount of time that has passed. There has been no activity on her driver's license, credit history or Social Security number since 1982, according to Hampton police Detective Randy Mayer.
"Everything ceased as of 1982," Mayer said. "Everything ceased after she disappeared."
The family behind the portrait
Mary Harrison smiles warmly in a family portrait that was taken several years before her disappearance. She's surrounded by her four daughters: Sherrena Harrison, Sherresa Owens, Shameka Harris and Sharmaneci Long. The girls' father, Horace Harrison, stands behind them. Everyone is smiling in the photo, but Sherrena Harrison says the family's everyday life was far from that "picture perfect" image.
She says her parents never divorced, but lived separate for part of the girls' childhood. It was a marriage laced with abuse and frequent arguments that the girls witnessed. Sherrena Harrison says their mother became addicted to drugs, and their father was an alcoholic.
"They use to fight all the time," the 41-year-old Sherrena Harrison said. "It was really bad."
Sherrena Harrison's memories are vivid and painful. She described a childhood where self-reliance arrived before puberty and was critical to the girls' survival. She says her mother would leave them for days without notice or regard for their well-being.
"There were periods of time when we didn't have running water in the house," she said. "We didn't have any money, no food stamps left behind, no food in the refrigerator. You had to fend for yourself."
Newport News police were contacted by family when Mary Harrison didn't come home after her disappearance that October day. Her sister, Amy Collins, says she filed a missing persons report with both departments. The family also searched for her.
"We handed out fliers," Sherrena Harrison said. "We went out looking for her day or night. We looked everywhere in Hampton and Newport News."
Mayer began looking into Mary Harrison's case a month ago after speaking with Collins about a separate investigation. Collins mentioned her sister's disappearance, and Mayer pulled the old file.
"It appears that she just walked out and left everything behind," said Mayer, who has run Mary Harrison's name through a computer database that tracks data including criminal history, a person's credit and driver's license. Nothing has surfaced.
"Even a person that doesn't want to be found, at some point in 20 years they would pop up somewhere," Mayer said.
The family also hired a private investigator last year, but he turned up no clues.
No closure
During the two years that followed Mary Harrison's disappearance, the girls' lives lacked stability. They lived with various family members, staying as long as they could at each home — always fearing the state would separate them. The sisters say their lives got back on track when they went to live with Collins in 1984.
"I still call her Aunt Amy or Auntie, but she's the only mother I've ever known," said 34-year-old Long, the youngest daughter who doesn't remember much about her mother.
The girls' father died in a house fire in 1986. Collins raised them until they graduated from high school.
"It's been so many years," said 37-year-old Harris. "I've kind of come to terms that maybe she got another life. Maybe she just couldn't get herself together enough to know what to do….I've accepted the fact that she's not coming back. I don't think about it."
Harris, of Williamsburg, thinks her mother might have had an undiagnosed mental illness that led to her disappearance. She doesn't think her leaving was suspicious because she was always going by other names and might have changed her identity.
"I remember mail coming to the house under different names," Harris said.
Haunted by questions
Collins still keeps the smiling portrait of Mary Harrison and her children in her living room. It's a constant reminder of the baby sister who never came home.
"My sister has been gone for 28 years," Collins said. "There is hardly a day that goes by when I don't think about her."
There are other reminders for Collins, like when an unidentified body is found and it makes the news.
"I wonder, 'Is that Mary?'" she said.
Collins thinks her sister might have left under the stress of being a single mother. A few weeks before she went missing, she asked her sister if she wanted four little girls. Collins didn't take her serious.
For Sherrena Harrison, not knowing what happened to their mother bothers her every day. Each time a holiday passes, a child is born or a birthday is missed, she wonders where her mother is.
"This was my mom and she left behind four children," Harrison said. "Four young girls that grew up to have their own families and she is missing out on that. It hurts that she is not here."
The girls' disjointed childhood didn't become a crutch. They are all professionals. They are all mothers.
Harris and Long are nurses. Harrison and Owens both work for the federal government. They have eight children between them; seven boys and one girl.
"Although we were strong enough to go on with our lives and be successful," Sherrena Harrison said. "That part of our life kind of stopped in October of 1982."
Anyone with information about Mary Harrison is asked to call Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.

I have the same impression as the police who escaped... I don't know what relationship or how close she was to her daughters... maybe she decided she needed a change and someone close offered her something... I really don't think she's dead... she didn't have anything that could be stolen, she wasn't a rich or wealthy woman... but I imagine that her parents are resigned to her disappearance... as adults they would realize how hard life was for their mother and maybe they would understand the enormous work of being a single mother... but children should never be left alone... never ever but I don't judge her...
whatever it is
rest in peace

I'd like to know where she went when she took off for days on end, and how she was able to afford to buy drugs (could she have been selling herself?). I feel she's probably deceased, and agree she may well have had some form of mental illness. Could she have gone somewhere and overdosed? JMO

Last edited:

Ashley Kelly

HAMPTON — When Mary Harrison's four daughters woke up the morning of Oct. 6, 1982, she was gone. Her absence was not unusual.
Harrison, 31, often left the girls alone in their two-bedroom house on Shell Road, but she usually returned days later. This time, she left without a suitcase. She left brand new clothes hanging in her closet with price tags.
She left without saying goodbye.
"I thought she went to the corner store and she would be back — but she never came back," said Sherrena Harrison, her oldest daughter. She was 12 when her mother went missing. The other girls were 11, 8 and 6.
Police are re-investigating her disappearance and now consider it suspicious because of the amount of time that has passed. There has been no activity on her driver's license, credit history or Social Security number since 1982, according to Hampton police Detective Randy Mayer.
"Everything ceased as of 1982," Mayer said. "Everything ceased after she disappeared."
The family behind the portrait
Mary Harrison smiles warmly in a family portrait that was taken several years before her disappearance. She's surrounded by her four daughters: Sherrena Harrison, Sherresa Owens, Shameka Harris and Sharmaneci Long. The girls' father, Horace Harrison, stands behind them. Everyone is smiling in the photo, but Sherrena Harrison says the family's everyday life was far from that "picture perfect" image.
She says her parents never divorced, but lived separate for part of the girls' childhood. It was a marriage laced with abuse and frequent arguments that the girls witnessed. Sherrena Harrison says their mother became addicted to drugs, and their father was an alcoholic.
"They use to fight all the time," the 41-year-old Sherrena Harrison said. "It was really bad."
Sherrena Harrison's memories are vivid and painful. She described a childhood where self-reliance arrived before puberty and was critical to the girls' survival. She says her mother would leave them for days without notice or regard for their well-being.
"There were periods of time when we didn't have running water in the house," she said. "We didn't have any money, no food stamps left behind, no food in the refrigerator. You had to fend for yourself."
Newport News police were contacted by family when Mary Harrison didn't come home after her disappearance that October day. Her sister, Amy Collins, says she filed a missing persons report with both departments. The family also searched for her.
"We handed out fliers," Sherrena Harrison said. "We went out looking for her day or night. We looked everywhere in Hampton and Newport News."
Mayer began looking into Mary Harrison's case a month ago after speaking with Collins about a separate investigation. Collins mentioned her sister's disappearance, and Mayer pulled the old file.
"It appears that she just walked out and left everything behind," said Mayer, who has run Mary Harrison's name through a computer database that tracks data including criminal history, a person's credit and driver's license. Nothing has surfaced.
"Even a person that doesn't want to be found, at some point in 20 years they would pop up somewhere," Mayer said.
The family also hired a private investigator last year, but he turned up no clues.
No closure
During the two years that followed Mary Harrison's disappearance, the girls' lives lacked stability. They lived with various family members, staying as long as they could at each home — always fearing the state would separate them. The sisters say their lives got back on track when they went to live with Collins in 1984.
"I still call her Aunt Amy or Auntie, but she's the only mother I've ever known," said 34-year-old Long, the youngest daughter who doesn't remember much about her mother.
The girls' father died in a house fire in 1986. Collins raised them until they graduated from high school.
"It's been so many years," said 37-year-old Harris. "I've kind of come to terms that maybe she got another life. Maybe she just couldn't get herself together enough to know what to do….I've accepted the fact that she's not coming back. I don't think about it."
Harris, of Williamsburg, thinks her mother might have had an undiagnosed mental illness that led to her disappearance. She doesn't think her leaving was suspicious because she was always going by other names and might have changed her identity.
"I remember mail coming to the house under different names," Harris said.
Haunted by questions
Collins still keeps the smiling portrait of Mary Harrison and her children in her living room. It's a constant reminder of the baby sister who never came home.
"My sister has been gone for 28 years," Collins said. "There is hardly a day that goes by when I don't think about her."
There are other reminders for Collins, like when an unidentified body is found and it makes the news.
"I wonder, 'Is that Mary?'" she said.
Collins thinks her sister might have left under the stress of being a single mother. A few weeks before she went missing, she asked her sister if she wanted four little girls. Collins didn't take her serious.
For Sherrena Harrison, not knowing what happened to their mother bothers her every day. Each time a holiday passes, a child is born or a birthday is missed, she wonders where her mother is.
"This was my mom and she left behind four children," Harrison said. "Four young girls that grew up to have their own families and she is missing out on that. It hurts that she is not here."
The girls' disjointed childhood didn't become a crutch. They are all professionals. They are all mothers.
Harris and Long are nurses. Harrison and Owens both work for the federal government. They have eight children between them; seven boys and one girl.
"Although we were strong enough to go on with our lives and be successful," Sherrena Harrison said. "That part of our life kind of stopped in October of 1982."
Anyone with information about Mary Harrison is asked to call Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.
I can relate a bit to these ladies-having a mother with issues, whose whereabouts are unknown, missing her, wondering about so many things.... But I'm also very proud of them for making something of themselves, building a healthy life for the next generation- that can be very difficult to do. Still, it's nice to have answers (even bad ones). I sincerely hope they get them. Someone out there knows where Mary is....
ETA: Surely she had acquaintances who saw her regularly (someone she smoked with, stayed with, etc.). If someone were reluctant to come forward because of lifestyle, that's what anonymous tip lines are for...jmo

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleepy2024