GUILTY VA - Meghan Landowski, 16, raped & murdered, Portsmouth, 10 April 2008 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sure. I can understand that. I don't disagree 100% either. While your education and training is something that you can take into your own hands though, police officers rely on the city to give it to them. That's why I say it's a budget issue and it lies in the hands of the city managers, not the guy that shows up at your house when your lawn mower is stolen. I too want to see whomever did this locked up (or whatever else is decided for them).

As far as what I say about the police and the city go;

1 - Poor past performance doesn't always mean that now it's the same.

2 - These are the men and women that when something bad happens I call them. They're there for me as much as they're there to arrest me if I do something. Why give them a reason to have a horrid attitude when they get there to help me?

3 - The fastest way to get anyone to work better is to be positive with them. It works with kids, teens (though harder with teens) and adults. Being negative and continually reinforcing mistakes only shows people that you have zero faith in them. Which by the very step of picking up the phone and dialing 911 shows you have at least some.

Ten years ago is not today. I wish there was more I could do or say to explain that the city and the police are not the same as they were. Sadly I cannot.

I have heard from people (and when I say that, I mean people that actually know what they're talking about) that when there is interdepartmental interactions it's not always smooth and sometimes it can be very slow. This may be a factor as well. Not to mention other things that were mentioned.

It isn't just Portsmouth that has funding/manpower issues, it's every city. It just so happens that right now, at this minute everyone is looking at Portsmouth. If you remember the story that was on Wavy not long ago about Chesapeake City Dispatchers being undermanned they said that city was something like 70 people short overall. It's a given that a robbery does not equate to a murder, but it does demonstrate that law enforcement (that's everyone, forensics, officers, dispatchers) is underfunded everywhere. Check the city that you live in, they're all registering deficits. This is the real problem, not the tired as can be officers, or the dispatchers that have worked 14 hours, or a bleary eyed forensic technician. They're the result of the problem. The cause is higher up the ladder. It's almost a sure thing that when we spot a problem what we actually see is the result. Training, manpower and things like that is all the result of funding and lies outside the hands of the officers.

I really do hope that no one takes anything that I say about this as a direct insult or anything else. I'm not out to offend at all. Actually the last thing on my mind is offending anyone or making anyone feel like I'm flaming anything that they post. It's a good debate, one that I don't ever expect will be solved but at least when it comes time to vote - there will be that one more thing to think about.

Besides, there's a part of me that simply can't resist a good dialogue about social issues and societal shortcomings. :)

Hi, all. I have been a "guest" lurking on the site since the beginning of the first thread. There have been many times when I bit my tongue over some of the speculations, because I thought maybe it wasn't appropriate to respond.

I knew Meghan. She was a lovely kid. I know her family through mutual circles, and they are really good people. I know that PPD is continuing to work the case, and it's not cold....although I wonder and wonder why we don't see anything in the media any more. That does bother me. I also know the DNA results have been back for quite a while. It kind of bothered me seeing PPD being criticized....I think they work really hard and there must be a reason why it's all so quiet. (No, I have no relationship other than when I have had to call them on one thing or another.)

I just hope they get the freak who did this to a really nice little girl.

Welcome Elsie! I hope in the future you feel comfortable enough not to have to "bite" your tongue, we are thankful to have a local perspective, and we are all here for the same reason- justice for Meghan.

I've read the local newspapers from this past week and
there are no articles about Meghan's murder. The last news article, that I found, was posted May 28.
I don't know how her parents can stand not knowing who murdered their daughter. :(

Don't you think the PPD would have narrowed down alibis for their suspects by now? Was this Lt guy at work or did he work nights? A Lt can be anywhere from 21 years old up. High schoolers can be anywhere from age 20 or so down. This seems to more than one person and it could be to shut somebody up or something??? Her myspace page stated that she liked boys (or men). You think maybe she saw something, heard something, etc.? Prayers goes out to Meghans family, noone deserves that type of punishment. If it is more than one person involved, it may be why the general public is not hearing anything. Like it was stated before on this post, "they don't want anybody or any rumers to interfere with their investigation. There are crooked cops out there too, not referring to any one in particular. But that one crooked cop is not going to tell the rest of them that he/or she is living a lie. You don't know who knows who and who's buddies with who. But it will all come out in the wash!

Don't you think the PPD would have narrowed down alibis for their suspects by now?
Absolutely jerseygirl.
I get the feeling they have a POI. Maybe they are waiting for all the forensics to be completed before they question anyone.:waitasec:
I only know that as a mom, I don't know how I would handle not knowing who killed my child. :(

Absolutely jerseygirl.
I get the feeling they have a POI. Maybe they are waiting for all the forensics to be completed before they question anyone.:waitasec:
I only know that as a mom, I don't know how I would handle not knowing who killed my child. :(

Cleared by the police or not something tells me her mom knows who she thinks did this. Now it's a waiting game. Does anyone know why he was cleared?? Is he actually cleared or is he still a POI?

:clap:CAgirl- Hello- Long time since Ive been on board, and havent seen you here- Anything new that we havent covered? Do you know if her parents have left yet or not or is that hush-hush? I keep her and her family in my prayers- That poor baby needs to rest in peace with her killer behind bars! :behindbar

There is nothing more I can add to this board that hasn't already neen covered- Kudos to all of you who were there with me in the begining and all of you who have stayed and are working so hard to find an answer that may help break this case- You all deserve a hand- you are doing her and her family a great service- :clap::clap:

One last thing- I could carry/copy it over, but in the last thread a few of us talked about getting some local vendors to donate some supplies and maybe have a memorial at her church or school to remember her. Has anyone heard of anything happening ? If I lived closer I would help- I just feel it would be fitting in this case for some reason to have something to remember her forever- RIP Meghan :blowkiss:

Philameana, I understand what you're saying but just because we don't know anything doesn't mean that the family doesn't. I hope that's the case. The family may have known from the beginning who did this, shared it with the PD and now they're being patient waiting for them to get their things together so that they can arrest this person.

That's what I hope but then I go back and read pigsticker's (who seems to be an insider) said "no witnesses, no ones talking, little to none as far as forensic evidence, adds up to one big mystery." Makes it sound like they don't know who did it and have no idea who did it.

Philameana, I understand what you're saying but just because we don't know anything doesn't mean that the family doesn't. I hope that's the case. The family may have known from the beginning who did this, shared it with the PD and now they're being patient waiting for them to get their things together so that they can arrest this person.

That's what I hope but then I go back and read pigsticker's (who seems to be an insider) said "no witnesses, no ones talking, little to none as far as forensic evidence, adds up to one big mystery." Makes it sound like they don't know who did it and have no idea who did it.

lizzybeth,
I know. I just feel so much frustration because:
1.This precious teen was murdered close by.
2.There is so little about this case on the local news.
3. I want someone arrested.

lizzy, I hope and pray what you suggested is true. If her parents knew, maybe they could heal a little faster.

I think we are dealing with a multi-jurisdictional, multi-crime, multi-victim and multi- scenario here. While I'm sure I sound like the ultimate conspiracy theorist here, I can just tell you that the lack of PPD statements, NCIS comments, and two other cases that may or may not be related (I believe they are, but that's imo.), which they are also not disclosing any updates on, can only mean one thing- there is alot more going on than this little girl's murder.
Frankly, I am shocked that their has not been some agressive journalist putting together a piece on this. I can only assume the word is out that they are requesting they lay low; honestly that is not my profession but this is starting to make me mad enough to want it to be. I am a parent like most of you- I cannot fathom.

That's what I hope but then I go back and read pigsticker's (who seems to be an insider) said "no witnesses, no ones talking, little to none as far as forensic evidence, adds up to one big mystery."

I'm sure that person was a police officer. I've never heard anyone that wasn't use the term "on the job".

I think we are dealing with a multi-jurisdictional, multi-crime, multi-victim and multi- scenario here. While I'm sure I sound like the ultimate conspiracy theorist here, I can just tell you that the lack of PPD statements, NCIS comments, and two other cases that may or may not be related (I believe they are, but that's imo.), which they are also not disclosing any updates on, can only mean one thing- there is alot more going on than this little girl's murder.
Frankly, I am shocked that their has not been some agressive journalist putting together a piece on this. I can only assume the word is out that they are requesting they lay low; honestly that is not my profession but this is starting to make me mad enough to want it to be. I am a parent like most of you- I cannot fathom.

:clap::clap: I agree with your post Blink- Couldnt have said it better- Things have been too tight-lipped from the start- What a shame! Let alone the other residents of that area not knowing if there is a killer on the loose?? :eek::confused:

LB/Phil/MM/Ch/Cal-
respectfully, I think it is safe to assume that PPD has told Meghan's family very little more than "for your own protection, and for the integrity of hopefully a successful prosectution in your daughter's case, we are severely limited in the information we can provide in an ongoing homicide investigation.." That is outside what the family would already know about a prior investigation involving Meghan and the Lt (as she is a minor).
Additionally, I personally assume that NCIS is "lead" in this case and you can BET they will say nothing that is not publicly accessible (like info on a non-sealed warrant, etc..) before whatever is cooking here simmers to a boil.
I am in no way way being glib, I stand for maintaining the integrity of an investigation to favor a succssful prosecution over public info most of the time. However, if it were my neighborhood, I would demand answers as to the PPD/NCIS assurance for my and my families safety. It has been my experience that unless the public demands answers, everyone will have to wait it out.
Pigsticker was rogue and was no-where near close to this investigation, or would never have done more than lurk here. PPD will not schedule a press release because they dont want to be in a position to decline questions or to defer to NCIS, and from a PR perspective, I don't blame them. I think what happened to Meghan landed in their lap, but was the equivalent of a mushroom cloud in the other areas that I feel are being investigated.

blink
thanks for sharing your angle here.... i feel somewhat reassured, & even more intrigued by this case.... i hope for an arrest followed by a successful prosecution soon.

Waiting, waiting, waiting, I don't want to see this go cold, I want to see progress, I want to see justice, no innocent young person should be forgotten by the LE, media, public like this. I think LE owes the public and Meghan's family an update or an admission that they don't have the ability to handle the case and need to bring in outside help.

I hear you, and I share your frustration. Your a good guy, with compassion for a lovely child and you want justice. Sometimes justice takes more time than we would like. I give you my word, if this thing goes cold, I'm on PPD front steps with y'all (say with a Jersey accent).

Meghan's suffering ended on that day, the (s) that murdered her just started and will be just, I feel strongly about that.

I hear you, and I share your frustration. Your a good guy, with compassion for a lovely child and you want justice. Sometimes justice takes more time than we would like. I give you my word, if this thing goes cold, I'm on PPD front steps with y'all (say with a Jersey accent).

Meghan's suffering ended on that day, the (s) that murdered her just started and will be just, I feel strongly about that.

I'm with y'all (wit-chaw) too! This case is becoming too cold!

Keep your fingers crossed jerseygirl.
This case can't go cold yet.

Maybe I am out of line with this suggestion, but what about contacting a journalist like Nancy Grace? Maybe we are all being so trusting that progress is being made (even the family) but in reality, the police are stumped.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734
Back