Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The things that bother all of you bother me too; and now this new thing bothers me.

Her car was left in Harrisonburg (JMU, where the friend lives.) If she said she'd "get a ride OR meet you (the friends) later after the concert" that seems odd b/c that doesn't tell the friends anything about what to do. (wait for her or go on home)

So the friends waited a "significant amount of time" then went back to JMU 60 miles away.

OK so they get there. They know they had plans for MORGAN TO BE THERE AT JMU AND SHE WASN'T; yet they still didn't contact anyone with alarm even tho they hadn't heard from her. Is that the norm for good friends? with how the kids are these days? It's been awhile since i was 20; but I cant see that being OK with me even at that age. (but I was a worrying snoozefest even as a kid so ... ) :)

odd..

Kant, as a 25 yr old female...I would have been extremely concerned about my friends whereabouts if I was planning on driving 30+ miles to my next destination and had not heard from her. Now if I was staying at UVA overnight, hadn't heard from my friend and post concert plans were to stay in the area, I probably wouldn't have been as concerned--figuring maybe she went home with a guy or at the very least was still definitely in the area (at bar, an apt. party whatever). If I had plans to drive from a concert arena 60 miles to my next destination, where my now missing friends car was located, I had received confusing messages from her about post concert plans and hadn't heard from her in hours....I would haave contacted someone during the 'significant' amount of time I spent waiting by the communal vehicle we had all taken together to the show. First, I probably would have alerted concert security to page her to front of arena (thinking maybe shes still inside somewhere making out with a boy, throwing up in bathroom). With no answer there, I would have started to check with mutual friends that were NOT at the show to see if they had heard from her (maybe she went with mutual friends into town of Charlottesville, had actually found a ride to JMU and was back at campus). If I had no contact with her, no definitive information as to where she went after 9:30 PM and I had to drive 60 miles back to go to sleep/get to my next destination where her car was located...I would have then called my parents to get her parents number offline, out of the phone book. Even if I had left the arena to start the drive back, I would have been trying to contact her family to let them know I couldn't find her and was heading back. From my understanding, LE was not notified she was missing until 12:30 PM on Sunday, after Dad H called to say she had not returned phone calls and was not at home where she was expected to be, studying for test. No friends called her parents at 7 am on Sunday after not hearing from her for over 10 hours? Usually if the battery falls off, the phone would have been going straight to voicemail, which would have worried me even more if I had been calling on the ride home and not getting an answer.

Fishy fishy...anyone find any updates on this?

Did Lamb of God play that night? Just curious, because they played at the Norva in Norfolk, VA on the 20th without Metallica. If LoG didn't perform in Charlotte, that would account for the earlier time for Metallica going on that night.

Oh... and HI everyone! Long time lurker, but this one is close to home, my dad lives right across the road from UVA, so it has really caught my attention.

Yes, they played.....there were 2 opening bands. We got there right before 9 and only waited 10- 15 min for Metallica.

Show started at 7.....2 opening bands....Metallica took stage around 9:10-9:15.

Also, if the girls waited around the car for a significant amount of time, that means apparently her purse was not within sight of the car or else they would have seen it and called the police. So where was it? If she was attacked suddenly, things would be scattered, wouldn't they? If it was a single person attacking her, he would not have time or the ability to keep a hold of her and pick up her things... and he most certainly wouldn't leave them. Even if it was more than one person, they wouldn't leave it, would they?

So it had to have been one person she was somewhat comfortable with or someone who had been able to subdue her to the point of not being able to struggle who took her phone, popped the battery out, shoved it in her purse and then when they started struggling, she dropped her purse and it was left behind.

Or else maybe someone happened upon a couple of guys who had done what I wrote above and in the rush to get her out of there, her purse was dropped.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
They say they[ the girls]
were at the car?
well?
If so yes they would have noticed her purse and cell phone wouldn't they/
was it on the ground?
in the car?
maybe if it was inside the car they just did not think anything bad of it ha?

Her parents are going to appear on HLN News this evening at 5 p.m. (Eastern time)

seems likely they are very trusting good folks..
have no questions dealing with the girls reports of events as they
have chosen to believe the account of the happenings and until anything is changed,
Looks like possible
stories seem to not be in question by parents or LE in this case.

IMO if she was indeed spotted with 4 males, I tend to believe she knew them. Since security is so high at arenas, most people that want to drink/smoke weed/etc do so before entering. We parked in a lot VERY near Time Warner Arena and people were drinking/smoking/etc in and around cars.

I think after she realized she couldn't get back in....which by the way is the norm almost everywhere....she decided to "party" with these guys. Who's to say they smoked, then separated. She may have been accosted going back towards the parking lot. Why the guys not speaking up? I think the answer is obvious.....they were doing drugs and don't want to be identified.

I also think it quite possible she and her friends not only drank and smoked, but did a small amount of acid or shrooms. I know from our teenagers and their friends this is very common. Again, IMO drugs are the reason her friends aren't forthcoming with info as they should be.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
They say they[ the girls]
were at the car?
well?
If so yes they would have noticed her purse and cell phone wouldn't they/
was it on the ground?
in the car?
maybe if it was inside the car they just did not think anything bad of it ha?

LE said at the presser yesterday afternoon that her belongings (purse & cell phone) were found in a small parking lot in between the arena and the UVA athletic fields. He then said that her friends were not aware that she didn't have her belongings while they were waiting. Her belongings were not inside the car. They were supposedly in a noticeable spot (not hidden, kicked aside, etc) in a small parking lot.

That leads me to believe two things: either a) the passerby who found the belongings and turned them into police did so before her friends were outside (and therefore, they wouldn't have seen them) or b) her friends parked in a separate parking lot from where her belongings were found.

IF Morgan did know some males with whom she might have been seen, does anyone think they might have been guys she knew from Virginia Tech or maybe Blacksburg? Perhaps that's one reason why LE thinks it wouldn't be worthwhile to continue searching around Charlottesville. Is there any LE activity around Blacksburg? Just a thought.

Also, IIRC, her friends' car was parked in a different lot from where her belongings were found.

MOO.

The things that bother all of you bother me too; and now this new thing bothers me.

Her car was left in Harrisonburg (JMU, where the friend lives.) If she said she'd "get a ride OR meet you (the friends) later after the concert" that seems odd b/c that doesn't tell the friends anything about what to do. (wait for her or go on home)

So the friends waited a "significant amount of time" then went back to JMU 60 miles away.

OK so they get there. They know they had plans for MORGAN TO BE THERE AT JMU AND SHE WASN'T; yet they still didn't contact anyone with alarm even tho they hadn't heard from her. Is that the norm for good friends? with how the kids are these days? It's been awhile since i was 20; but I cant see that being OK with me even at that age. (but I was a worrying snoozefest even as a kid so ... ) :)

odd..

My thoughts exactly-really stumped about how no one of them decided it was time to tell someone she was missing. So what is that? Had they argued? Did they for some reason assume she was with someone she knew and it was hush hush so best not to tell the parents??-so many questions-I as a 20 year old was always overly cautious perhaps but I know I would have called her parents and asked if they had had a call from her before giving up the wait outside the car

LE said at the presser yesterday afternoon that her belongings (purse & cell phone) were found in a small parking lot in between the arena and the UVA athletic fields. He then said that her friends were not aware that she didn't have her belongings while they were waiting. Her belongings were not inside the car. They were supposedly in a noticeable spot (not hidden, kicked aside, etc) in a small parking lot.

That leads me to believe two things: either a) the passerby who found the belongings and turned them into police did so before her friends were outside (and therefore, they wouldn't have seen them) or b) her friends parked in a separate parking lot from where her belongings were found.

I read somewhere purse was found on Sunday...

If Morgan is a frequent concert-goer, especially to metal concerts, there tends to be a "family" type atmosphere. And maybe she felt a little too comfortable and trusting with someone she met there. My husband followed around a particular band for several years - all over the country. He would camp with people he met at concerts, party with them in the parking lot, go to after-parties, give and get rides.

I personally would never do this, but he was in early 20s and a fun-loving college kid. He went to many shows and says you just took it for granted that everyone was there just to have a good time and party and listen to the music.

I think perhaps Morgan was stuck in the parking lot without a ticket and fellow concert-goers noticed her Pantera shirt, knew she was a metal fan, and asked if she wanted to hang out and party in the parking lot until the concert was over. She went off with them and ran into trouble. Maybe a guy in the crowd slipped her a drugged drink, maybe she voluntarily took something and had a bad reaction or voluntarily went off with someone.

Ok maybe you should skip this post b/c it is long and gas-baggy of me, (and what else is new) But I really want to know what you guys think of this cuz it's buggin me. :)

Could there be a confounding element at hand? Well, wait a sec.

Some things I want to ask you guys before I go into these thoughts below.

How far is her school (VT) from JMU? (the friend's school where she left her car and had told her parents she would spend Sat night)

How far is her parents home from her school, VT?

How far is her parents home from JMU?

How far is JMU from Charlottesville?

I've read that JMU (harrisonburg) is 60 minutes drive from C'ville where the arena is. (b/c southerners dont talk miles; we talk minutes hee.) (Altho if you're driving at a speed of 60 MPH - same diff right?)

* Hypothetical scenario 1 - ROMEO the good guy

Let me back - up. OK from the friends behavior, even tho they haven't said publicly, to me this situation could possibly smack of Morgan telling the friends, "I told the 'rents (aka parents) that I'm spending the night with you at JMU but I'll really be with ____ fill-in-dude's-name-here. Ya'll go ahead back to JMU and y'all play along with that story for cover while I have a sleepover with Romeo___ fill-in-dude's-name here. He'll drive me back to JMU. Or I have some way back to JMU where my car is."

I call him Romeo... as in someone she "knows" and in this scenario he has no intent to harm her. This would satisfy a good friend's questions, make her/them not really "worry" or freak out; and if this were the deal I don't find that suspcious; and it would conveniently also explain most of the friends actions (as far as we've been allowed by LE to know the bits and pieces) (unless I missed something which is why I'm telling you guys, so you can find the holes in this.) Plus as C6 pointed out, she was taking a lot of care in what she was wearing, choosing the outfit etc and it sounds hot - like for a date mentality rather than merely a girls night out.

So I was wondering if there could be a confounding element at hand. If we go with that Romeo scenario hypothetically (just stay with me for a second) that leaves us with:

Nefarious Third Party Intervenes

Romeo dude is someone she "knows" somehow; Maybe he goes to JMU rather than her school, VT. If so, the 'rents woudln't necessarily know of him (if that's her goal b/c maybe they wouldn't approve or she thinks they wouldn't) Maybe he's a good enough dude with no intent to harm and he planned to meet her and they'd spend a night together; she agreed; but maybe some other nefarious third party person/s intervened - hence the purse and phone strewn about - which is bad. Iow someone snatched her from Romeo, Romeo got away from perps and tried to get help for her, but failed. (b/c they usually want to take the girl and kill the dude unless dude escapes)

The Romeo dude should be outraged and go straight to LE... but there's some reason he feels he cant. IDK the reasons. Maybe he's stoned or worse? He has a strict family? He's terrifed of LE? or her dad? He thinks he'll be blamed and found guilty? He has a scholarship with weird stict stipulations and he thinks he'll lose it? Or he's a chicken schmuck? fill in the blank. Dude is too terrified of LE and Dad etc to come forward b/c he thinks this makes him look guilty and no one will believe him. Yes, he's s schmuck for not coming forward; and also you'd think the friends know who he is; but he may not know that they know. (?)

That's why I wondered how far JMU is from VT. I want to know if she visits JMU? Easy to meet guys if she's hanging out at the campus parties and the other girlfriend does attend school there.

HER CAR

Also, from the presser, she drove the first leg of the trip form VT to JMU. The roommate was with her presumably (?) on that first leg of the trip from VT to JMU? Then they switched cars to go the last leg of the trip form JMU to the arena. Why switch cars? maybe b/c she knew she wouldn't be going back to JMU with the other girls that night? But after the night of romanc, she planned to go back to her car and drive herself to her apt or parents' home. (Iow no fear of some other person being seen dropping her off) She could take roomy back to VT with her and it all looks good -- "guy-wise" for whoever she thinks is gonna know or notice with whom she returns. Altho she's 20 so her dates should be her business, but we already discussed the possible power dynamic at hand with the parents if they're paying for everything.

* Hypothetical Scenario 2 - ONLINE GUY aka OG

She "met" someone online, aka "Online Guy" aka OG for short and arranged to meet him a C'ville; the dude's a stranger and it all went bad from the get-go.

(Or an alternate but similar scenario, OG was nice, but a third nefarious party intervened in which case this is a twist on scenario number 1) But an online stranger sounds more dubious to me; and the margin for error is greater there imo. Yes, even good girls make mistakes and less than ideal judgment calls at times.

WHY CHARLOTTESVILLE???

For me, one of the problems (heh I have issues with my own theories) one of the problems with either of these concepts is why would she jump into this endeavor in C'ville - a town X miles away from her home where she's out of her comfort zone? Her friends are inside the arena and might as well be in China b/c they were not in contact with her after that one call.

Iow, if it were OG (aka "Online Guy") she could have met him on her turf at VT at a nearby coffee shop etc in her neighhborhood (without disclosing her home address for safety) Why meet online guy at C'ville? Plus would you plan to spend the night with OG if you had never met him in person? only online? (even if he seemed super online... still - that's pretty iffy.)

I mean... it sounda like the friends were not concerned enough to report her missing even the next morning which tells me that she told them she planned to spend the night elsewhere. It was the dad who reported her missing when she didn't show up later in the day for the planned study session.

SLEEPOVER ARRANGMENTS

Or if it's Romeo, JMU boyfriend, (or even OG) she and Romeo (or OG) could have had "sleepovers" just about any time and mom and dad wouldn't have necessarily known about it. She lives off campus in a apt with one girlfriend, (not at home wth parents) so I dont see any reason why she couldn't spend the night with a guy if an overnight-er were the goal. Unless, maybe there is some weird reason that we are unaware of like dad's best friend from whenever is the apt manager and watches her like a hawk. Or does she have siblings? if like a brother lives in the same apt complex and watches her like a hawk. Iow is there some reason she feels she cant have a dude sleep over at her apt? But if that were so, then SHE could go to Romeo's place at JMU or wherever right? (unless he lives in a frat house and the frat houses I saw were NOT places I'd want to be for a romantic night)

And as far as the habit of calling home everyday, she has a cell phone; it's not like the old days when cell phones were expensive and not everyone and his granny had a cell phone; (so when you called home the 'rents could possibly know from where you're calling and surmise where you're spending your nights etc. which could blow your cover) Iow the daily calls home would't be a worry for her or put a kink in her sleepover plans - if she had any, that is.

In more other words, even if the whole concert, out of town, telling friends yadda yadda smacks of "guy-sleepover plans" it still doesn't quite make sense WHY. WHY THERE? ... why not on her turf? Or at least in her town? Or at least closer to her turf at a more familiar place like at JMU where she knows at least SOMEONE? Why in C'ville where she presumably didnt' even know her way around? and didn't know people there.

I didn't say that well, but what I'm trying to get across to you guys so you can tell me what you think of it (or if it's hogwash heh) from what we have so far from the friends (or rather what LE is allowing us to have) imo ....
...It smacks of her planning, consenting, wanting to meet a dude for an over-nighter (either known Romeo or stranger OG) and somehing went terribly awry.

But my problem with my own theory is -- WHY? and WHY C'VILLE? and WHY THAT NIGHT? Was he so lame and non-liquid in the cash funds department that he lives in C'ville (or some other place but close to C'ville) and couldn't scare up the gas money, transportation etc to visit HER in her town for cryin out loud? (Que music to TLC's "Dont Want No Scrubs") That sounds pretty unappealing. (unless that was his ruse for a lure to get her away from everything and everyone and he had malicious intent from the start)

CONFOUNDING PARTS?

The possible confounding parts are: Could the guy be an OK guy, but there's a thrid party who messed it up for them? Or is he a stranger? (If there's a guy at all)

Another possible confounding part: Did someone else (other then the person reporting the purse and turning it in) find the purse first, do whatever with it, and then put it where it was found? Did the battery simply fall out or was it deliberately pulled out? Was the phone roughed up like it had been dropped? Was the battery found with the phone ? (just outside of it?)

Other possible confounding thing: Why did she leave the arena? She called the friend to say she couldn't get back in which sort of suggests to me that she didnt know she'd be locked out; And if she intended to meet a dude outside the arena, would she then CARE if she coudln't get back in? If the dude was the goal all along and not the concert? Unless he had a ticket too, but if so - that doesn't require HER to go outside at all, but rather for him to come IN.

Also a problem with my own theory heh is why tell your friend on the phone that youd' "get a ride" if you had already planned to sleep elsewhere? I could see her contacting the friend by phone to say "yeah we hooked up; I dont need a ride.." iow verifying that she didn't get stood up or something weird like that. But then why did the friends wait "hours" for her at their car after the concert? in the dark... in the cold... in a strange town.... and when the other concert-goers would have presumably left the arena?

IDK. Sorry Im a gasbag. Now excuse me while my head explodes.

Several articles I read on the story say that Harrington drove and that her car was
"still" in the lot. Whatever that means. Here's one of those articles:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,568644,00.html

"Harrington drove to the concert and her car was still in parking lot after, the newspaper reported."

unless i'm miss remembering they cleared this up at the press conference she drove to somewhere to meet her friends (a different city) then rode with them to the show. There have been articles out the reported it all different ways dude to the piss poor quality of todays media who just make up detials or just reprint stuff that was in other articles.

GOOD info! Thanks!

I still don't understand why the car is not important in this investigation. I think its a big component of this whole thing. If friends were informed she would find a ride home, why wait outside the car, which Morgan's mom said they did following show's conclusion? It seems confusing at best to say to friends "I'll find a ride OR try to get back in OR just meet afterwards".

I believe in the press conference they said she told her friends i'll find a ride home OR meet up with you after the show. I'm not sure I don't have a transcript but I think this is what the said.

Kant, your post was great. You explored a lot of angles I hadn't thought much about before. Great post :)

To answer your questions in red (at the top of your post)..

Some things I want to ask you guys before I go into these thoughts below.

How far is her school (VT) from JMU? (the friend's school where she left her car and had told her parents she would spend Sat night)

How far is her parents home from her school, VT?

How far is her parents home from JMU?

How far is JMU from Charlottesville?

I used Mapquest for all of these answers, just so you know.

From Virginia Tech to James Madison Univ. is an estimated 141 miles (2 and a half hours)

From her parents home to Virginia Tech is about 42 miles (approximately 45-50 minutes)

From her parents home to JMU is about 113 miles (about 2 hours)

From JMU to Charlottesville is approximately 63 miles (a little over an hours drive)

Police Back at UVA Following Up on Leads
Investigators with State Police, the Albemarle County Sheriff’s Office, and the Greene County Sheriff’s Office are back on the campus of the University of Virginia Thursday afternoon, in connection with the missing Virginia Tech student case..

Officers and deputies are searching the ground near University Hall, where Morgan Harrington was last seen. Investigators say the search is a follow up on leads, and to double check that they did not miss anything previously.

http://www2.wsls.com/sls/news/state...up_on_leads_in_missing_vt_student_case/56682/

Also, tonight is Morgans vigil at 7pm on the Northside High School football field if any locals want to go.

GOOD info! Thanks!

[snip]
The LE also seems to think that perhaps Morgan was in some type of altered state. I feel that if she wasn't drinking/doing drugs, why not just come out and say that? Saying that she was moving freely and able to converse with people doesn't give a good indication of what shape she was in. I can move freely and converse with people when I've had too many drinks--but I would also be in no shape to be making decisions without the help/aid of friends...College students have a tendency to think "it 'll never happen to me" and sometimes feel a false sense of security because they are on a college campus, nothing bad happens here etc. Now combined that thinking with someone who was tipsy/drunk/had been smoking pot (Morgan doesn't seem as though she would be a hardcore drug user according to parents whom she sees often despite living at school but you never know...) and you could have a potentially dangerous situation with a young woman alone outside a concert by herself and not thinking in the clearest of terms...

bbm

Yes, it seems they would come out with it and say, "No she was not drinking or under the influence of anything" etc if she were not. "Moving freely and able to converse" is really peculiar way to put it.

It sounds like someone parsing their words imo. I mean if you've not attained leg injuries, been tied down, or completely passed out, you're "able to move freely." And you can be talking, but not comprehending and that could qualify as "conversing." sheesh.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member