Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think the high profile of this case has kept a lot of information from being released.we read about murders everyday and in a lot of those cases we are given graphic details of cod etc.but here very little has been released.it is frustrating to people that want to help but patient is always the best virtue.hopefully LE will give another case update in the near future.

respectfully snipped

It takes a trained mind with access to the whole picture to see the forest and not just the trees.

I agree with this statement, and also saw something else in it. Please bear with the tangent, and I apologize if this has been put to bed already.

I hope that the location where the body was found, which is seemingly key to the investigation, is looked at from a whole picture perspective, both forest and trees (and field and water).

In particular, though a big point is made that Morgan's body was found in a specific location, on someone's private property with difficult access, near but not in woods, is it possible that mother nature played a role in her final resting place?

The Hardware River (or at least a tributary/creek) seems to flow past there and Blandemar Pond is close by, both of which would have had easier access (in the case of the Hardware River, from Monacan Trail/29 itself) than going to that exact spot on the farm, given the terrain, fences, and so forth.

I hope this isn't seen as a "dropped from an airplane" scenario, though I don't know if it's possible with heavy rain/snowmelt for it to have happened. I think someone posted awhile ago that it hasn't been a heavy precipitation year here this year, other than record-setting snows that began in late December.

It would widen the set of people who may have had knowledge of the location, if that was actually the pond in Blandemar, for example...wouldn't have had to have any particular knowledge of Anchorage Farm.

Good point, part_time_prof. And would also fit with what the landowner said about finding the body, when he said he saw her "on" the fence. High water might have washed her into the barbed wire.

I'm sure LE is taking that into account.

I agree with this statement, and also saw something else in it. Please bear with the tangent, and I apologize if this has been put to bed already.

I hope that the location where the body was found, which is seemingly key to the investigation, is looked at from a whole picture perspective, both forest and trees (and field and water).

In particular, though a big point is made that Morgan's body was found in a specific location, on someone's private property with difficult access, near but not in woods, is it possible that mother nature played a role in her final resting place?

The Hardware River (or at least a tributary/creek) seems to flow past there and Blandemar Pond is close by, both of which would have had easier access (in the case of the Hardware River, from Monacan Trail/29 itself) than going to that exact spot on the farm, given the terrain, fences, and so forth.

I hope this isn't seen as a "dropped from an airplane" scenario, though I don't know if it's possible with heavy rain/snowmelt for it to have happened. I think someone posted awhile ago that it hasn't been a heavy precipitation year here this year, other than record-setting snows that began in late December.

It would widen the set of people who may have had knowledge of the location, if that was actually the pond in Blandemar, for example...wouldn't have had to have any particular knowledge of Anchorage Farm.

A local was asked about this on the findmorgan forum.

Remember Morgan Harrington - View Single Post - 32 Guests

The purpose of the picture is to allow the public to look for that individual, who may or may not still be wearing the clothes he or she was wearing when last seen. So I don't think there's any policy other than to choose the best picture for the purpose of alerting the public.

Of course, I am not a missing person investigator. Someone else may have a better idea. But if you look at missing persons posters, you will see that they almost always have one or two "medium" or "head" shots that clearly show facial structure, hair and eyes.

I am curious as to why you are raising this issue.

It was treated as a missing persons case for quite some time and I would think in many instances like this if there was a photo or picture of her at the concert, or in the lot or earlier in the day with friends then it would've been shown to the public to show exactly what she looked like that day - hairstyle, exact clothes, even verifying that she was there.

I know that for a missing person poster they will use the best photo they have - but I'd think they would also try and show the public any other photo they had of her from that day.

It's just that with this case, there seems to be so much secrecy and misinformation. It even took weeks to verify whether her car was actually there in cville or not, or who attended the concert with her, etc. The whole situation has just seemed really odd to me.

I was just curious as to why more info hadn't been released from the beginning. Was it because they didn't have any photos of her that day, or was she just so under the influence they didn't want to show her like that, or did they just want to keep certain details to themselves in order to verify eyewitness accounts? Then you had the "who's car was actually driven" situation, who actually drove, who actually attended, why she left the arena, who she texted, and so on.

Maybe it's just that I haven't really followed many cases in the past and this is the way it normally is. But this just all seems strange to me.

Well, LE doesn't operate on the 24-hour news cycle. We want information but they aren't going to give it to us. You might look also at the Amber DuBois case, in which the girl's body was just found but they aren't telling how they knew where it was, etc. LE doesn't give out information they don't have to give. Period.

Good point, part_time_prof. And would also fit with what the landowner said about finding the body, when he said he saw her "on" the fence. High water might have washed her into the barbed wire.

I'm sure LE is taking that into account.
thanks carbuff im not sure she was found on the fence.i believe MR. BASS was checking on his fences when he found her remains.if you look at the location of the forensic teams in the past post you will see she was clearly in the field.jmt

thanks carbuff im not sure she was found on the fence.

BBM
I take "on the fence" to mean along the fence row ... trees, shrubs, bushes, weeds all grow along a fence row, as they are not easily cut down since the tractor/mower cannot get that close to the fence. If someone were to say to me, "The blackberries are on the fence by the pond," I would take that to mean along the fence row, not literally ON the fence. That's country-shorthand, IMHO!

thanks carbuff im not sure she was found on the fence.i believe MR. BASS was checking on his fences when he found her remains.if you look at the location of the forensic teams in the past post you will see she was clearly in the field.jmt

Yes, that's more likely. But he did use that phrase in the first interview.

Virginia has snow, but here in the valley, we usually never get the kind of show we got early in January..it was about 2 feet deep, a lot of tree limbs had fallen on his property, and Mr. Bass was checking on his fence, to see if any damage had been done.

We had a huge snow then the thaw that left MH's body exposed. Then the day she was placed to rest ..This area received "the snow that wouldn't go away". It stayed on the front porch of my house and stood 3 foot deep until 4 days ago...
Usually we get snow, 2 days it's all but gone...just patches where the sun hasn't hit.
I think it was just an answer to prayer, that she was found ...it could have been , when Mr Bass did the first spring cutting on his hay field.
I am just worried that if there is not a break soon, that this case will end up like so many in the past.
It worries me, because the killer or killers are walking around in my back yard...so to speak..

It was great to hear that Gil met with the VSP this week and feels they are making progress. Hopeful! :woohoo:

When Morgan D. Harrington’s bones were found in an Albemarle County pasture, they had been shattered and broken into jagged pieces, her parents said Wednesday.
“When you view … not just a skeleton, but brutal damage to a skeleton, you can imagine what [her mother] must have gone through,” the victim’s father, Dan Harrington, said.
He and Gil Harrington, Morgan’s mother, addressed the media Wednesday, marking five months since their daughter disappeared. They came from their home in Roanoke to the University of Virginia for the event.
Harrington, 20 and a Virginia Tech student, was killed after leaving an Oct. 17 Metallica concert at the UVa’s John Paul Jones Arena. Harrington was last seen hitchhiking on a railroad bridge on Copeley Road. A farmer found her remains about three months later, on his farm near U.S. 29, in southern Albemarle County.
Gil Harrington said she believes the person who killed her daughter caused the damage to her bones.
“I cannot get the image of Morgan’s shattered bones out of my mind,” Harrington said.

http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/n...morgan_harrington_bones_were_shattered/53752/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauriedries23456!