Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little confused. Did Morgan's father buy 9 tickets for the concert? If he did do we know how many showed up. Because, in interviews I've seen they don't mention nine friends.:waitasec:

I think the 9 tickets is mere speculation. I haven't seen in print anywhere just how many tickets there were.

We know there was at least 4 tickets - one for MH, one for Amy, one for Rachel and one for the mystery guy who is supposedly the bf of a friend.

I wouldn't think that Metallica would appeal to all of her friends IMO or maybe they had other things they had to do and wouldn't be able to attend or maybe those other friends felt like they couldn't make plans that far in advance - since we know the tickets were bought approx. 6 months in advance of the concert.

The "9" that some posters have been referring to are that whole set of friends and possibly that is where the thought of 9 tickets came into play.

MeoW333, you make another good point about the cameras. Let’s rule out dorms because you’re right, way too busy. I am 6’ 2” tall. For someone my size a body as small and light as Morgan would not be a problem to remove from a motel or an apartment. College towns see guys with trunks all the time or rolled up carpets or laundry bags. People move furniture all the time as well. No one looks twice at this type of activity. A guy or a couple of guys moving something would not even register with most folks.

Keep in mind her brother was a recent graduate of UVA. I would bet he still keeps in touch with folks in the area or knew some guys. I keep leaning towards the idea that Morgan ended up getting in touch with one of her brothers friends, or a friend of one of her brothers friend. Someone she knew but maybe not very well, but felt comfortable enough to call. How she contacted that person and what she was doing outside of the JPJ arena is anyone’s guess. (I don’t think it was planed) What we have been told by LE as to the calls to or from her cell phone, her purse being found, etc. may not be true at all. It could be part of the “game” or strategy to get to the end result. They have always been vague about the credit cards being used. They could have had in phone records from the carrier within a day with a subpoena. The person who turned the purse in has never been named. Maybe she never lost that purse, you know?

The person assured her he’d take her back to JMU in time to meet her friends after the concert. The person comes to get her, maybe on the bridge (lets say she was walking towards the direction he’d be coming from to stay warm) He arrives, she gets in the car and is never seen again. But someone saw her get in the car. They didn’t pay much attention but can recall maybe part of a plate number or the color. Maybe a bumper sticker or parking permit. That is enough to help LE ID the car and know who it’s registered to. So now they have a suspect but that’s all. If they move to quick they will blow it. They need some hard evidence. They need a body. That’s what’s dragging this case out.

Two more quick things. The amount of the reward is very substantial. Yes, Metallica put up $50K but it was large to begin with. The reason why? Just a hunch on my part but C’ville is a very wealthy area. I don’t think they (LE) are looking for information from vagrants in the area as to what happened that night; they are trying to entice the soon to be yuppie crowd into coming forward with information. That will be the key to cracking this thing.

Last point, I grew up in Roanoke, VA. Went to Roanoke College. I used to travel that corridor all the time for parties. RC, VA Tech, JMU, UVA, W&L, etc. I had many good friends who lived in C’ville and the surrounding areas. We used to hunt every fall about this time. UVA is surrounded by very rugged and expansive mountains that make for excellent deer and bear hunting. If someone was looking to hide a body with winter coming, the mountains would be the place. By the time it was found, if it was found, it would be nothing but bones. Let’s hope that’s not the case here. Keep this family in yours prayers.

I've been reading around here and in other places today re: MH and this case.... and my thoughts right now are mulling over "the Nine". All along I've wondered why her friends seemed to be unconcerned about MH that night. Of course, as is our nature, we all relate things to our own experiences and here is where I am, today:

I, myself, have a "Nine" -- only we are six (well, five, because we lost one to cancer last year. We have a special name for our group, just like "the Nine". We've been friends since grade school, just like "the Nine". I can tell you with certainty that we would move mountains for each other, and have even attempted to do that. We would never, EVER leave one of the group stranded outside alone, in the cold.

But -- we are middle aged women now.

How were we back in our 20s?

Well.... (bear with me... thinking back that far is hard haha) In our 20s we were pretty scattered physically. Some of us were married with children. Some were in college. We all lived in different towns. So while still friends - back then there was no internet so we wrote letters and made phone calls - there was a separation there due to distance. Also, being in different chapters of our lives played a factor in that separation, too. Yes, if one of the group called in dire straits, the rest would drop everything and go to her. But past that, as far as daily life, we remained friends but were not inter-connected into each others lives as we were when teens or younger.

This leads me to think that perhaps it is the same way for "the Nine". They are at that same stage, early 20s, in college, making independent lives for themselves. It is a transition period in life -- and in the friendship. This could explain the sort of "detachment" we are perceiving from them.

Also, I am fondly remembering the friend we lost last year. She was our "wild child". I wonder if MH is the "wild child" of the Nine? Little things stick out to me about her, in particular: her wearing a red prom dress while the others wore white. Such a little thing, maybe, but to me it says MH wanted to stand out from the others. Maybe she held herself a bit apart from them. This reminds me so much of my late friend and how she was at that age.

Which leads me to this: maybe MH saying she would "find a ride" didn't ring any bells. In that situation, at that age, with my group and our "wild child" -- had she left us for whatever reason? Said she'd find a way home? We'd have let her go........ it was her way of doing things. It would not have set off alarms.

I know that MH's parents have written a lot about their daughter and who she was...... but did they know everything? Was there a part of MH that she didn't share with her family? A part that the Nine knew, that didn't scream "red flag" over MH being outside that arena alone?

Tamfish, you bring up a very good point, and if it is the case, that would explain her friends actions that night.
The lack of buddy system, worrying, and just accepting the that she said she would find a ride back home.

If she was a type like that and they were used to behavior from her that is similiar, then possibly they wouldn't think that much about her leaving them.

IMO, especially this day and age with more media coverage and known crimes and the population larger (more crimes) i would still look out for the "wild child" just in case, especially since they were wilder out of the bunch and may need an extra eye. I'm not making excuses for her friends, however if there needs to be an "excuse" what you describe is very fitting.

MeoW333, you make another good point about the cameras. Let’s rule out dorms because you’re right, way too busy. I am 6’ 2” tall. For someone my size a body as small and light as Morgan would not be a problem to remove from a motel or an apartment. College towns see guys with trunks all the time or rolled up carpets or laundry bags. People move furniture all the time as well. No one looks twice at this type of activity. A guy or a couple of guys moving something would not even register with most folks.

Keep in mind her brother was a recent graduate of UVA. I would bet he still keeps in touch with folks in the area or knew some guys. I keep leaning towards the idea that Morgan ended up getting in touch with one of her brothers friends, or a friend of one of her brothers friend. Someone she knew but maybe not very well, but felt comfortable enough to call. How she contacted that person and what she was doing outside of the JPJ arena is anyone’s guess. (I don’t think it was planed) What we have been told by LE as to the calls to or from her cell phone, her purse being found, etc. may not be true at all. It could be part of the “game” or strategy to get to the end result. They have always been vague about the credit cards being used. They could have had in phone records from the carrier within a day with a subpoena. The person who turned the purse in has never been named. Maybe she never lost that purse, you know?

The person assured her he’d take her back to JMU in time to meet her friends after the concert. The person comes to get her, maybe on the bridge (lets say she was walking towards the direction he’d be coming from to stay warm) He arrives, she gets in the car and is never seen again. But someone saw her get in the car. They didn’t pay much attention but can recall maybe part of a plate number or the color. Maybe a bumper sticker or parking permit. That is enough to help LE ID the car and know who it’s registered to. So now they have a suspect but that’s all. If they move to quick they will blow it. They need some hard evidence. They need a body. That’s what’s dragging this case out.

Two more quick things. The amount of the reward is very substantial. Yes, Metallica put up $50K but it was large to begin with. The reason why? Just a hunch on my part but C’ville is a very wealthy area. I don’t think they (LE) are looking for information from vagrants in the area as to what happened that night; they are trying to entice the soon to be yuppie crowd into coming forward with information. That will be the key to cracking this thing.

Last point, I grew up in Roanoke, VA. Went to Roanoke College. I used to travel that corridor all the time for parties. RC, VA Tech, JMU, UVA, W&L, etc. I had many good friends who lived in C’ville and the surrounding areas. We used to hunt every fall about this time. UVA is surrounded by very rugged and expansive mountains that make for excellent deer and bear hunting. If someone was looking to hide a body with winter coming, the mountains would be the place. By the time it was found, if it was found, it would be nothing but bones. Let’s hope that’s not the case here. Keep this family in yours prayers.

So very true! People are always moving things around at motels and apartments, college apartments/housing outside of noisy dorms. Many times people are switching their living locations (even in the dorms) during school year, changing houses, changing rooms, who one reason or another.

Earlier on, i do recall reading about her knowing people at UVA (brother's friends). Also she did text a young man (which was the last "call" or text rather that went from her cell phone) LE has been very tight lipped about that text.
Honestly though, if the call from or to a potential perp was on her phone that night, i'd think that LE would have solved this case by now. That's why i don't think it's anyone she called on her phone. She could of borrowed someone else's phone. LE asking for potential witnesses to come forward that Morgan may have asked to use their phone.
Truly, i believe that the purse really was turned in, as LE was importantly stressing in the beginning that she will not have her ID on her. That ID would be in her purse, along with her cell phone. (where is the battery and her camera?)..

Do you think LE has interviewed all of Morgan's brother's friends that would still reside at or around UVA?

Sighting #5 near the grassy Lannigan Field parking area looks desolate and may have been after those who sighted her left. If a perp had been watching her, they would know it's around their time to strike. Why she was seen hitchhiking on the Copeley Rd Bridge or if she was really hitchhiking or just walking on the bridge, or getting into someone's car i am not sure.. Something happened, imo, between sighting #5 and #6. Sighting #5 being where the purse was found as well.

Hopefully the reward money will urge people to come forward with information if they know anything or have seen anything. It could be reason for some of the "sightings".

Whoever abducted her was able to move her out of the area quickly, quietly and without leaving anything behind that we are aware of aside from the pocketbook. He is familiar with the area, maybe having went to UVA or lived in the area at some point in his life. For some reason i don't think she's in Charlottesville anymore. Maybe the outskirts.. If a predator was hunting, she would be easy prey seperated from "the pack".

The surrounding mountains and area needed to be searched, i agree. If the perp has the knowledge (military training? Shawcross used this tactic) to bury her underneath something so she is not seen by a helicopter.. grid ground search would be most effective.
Her family are kept in my prayers, i hope there is a break in this case soon.

MeoW333, law enforcement has most likely talked to everyone they can think of and some more than once. And I’m sure they know much more than we do. One interesting thing about this case is that I have not heard anything about polygraphs tests being given to anyone. If you look at almost every other missing person case someone or several people have been asked to take a polygraph. Why not here? And something folks may not know, the “lie detector test” is rapidly going the way of the dinosaur. Almost all LE offices now have what is called Voice Stress Analyzers. Some VSA are about the size of a briefcase and hooked up to a laptop computer. Others at larger agencies such as the FBI or NSA are built into the walls. VSA technology is said to record psycho physiological stress responses that are present in human voice when a person suffers stress in response to a stimulus (question) and where the consequences of lying may be dire for the subject being tested. It’s still very controversial but so are polygraphs. In 2003 VSP decided not to use VSA because it was still to new. I don’t know if they do now.

You bring up a good point about the purse and LE saying she is w/o ID. So maybe she did lose it. But a “real” or experienced perp and not just some young college kid would never leave evidence like that behind. As I think about it more, if there was no purse then LE and the family would have no way of knowing she just didn’t leave town or runaway. So that's a good point. And the text was sent from her phone if all this is too believed. But I doubt the call to a friend if one was made for a ride, was placed using that phone.

I think the 9 tickets is mere speculation. I haven't seen in print anywhere just how many tickets there were.

We know there was at least 4 tickets - one for MH, one for Amy, one for Rachel and one for the mystery guy who is supposedly the bf of a friend.

I wouldn't think that Metallica would appeal to all of her friends IMO or maybe they had other things they had to do and wouldn't be able to attend or maybe those other friends felt like they couldn't make plans that far in advance - since we know the tickets were bought approx. 6 months in advance of the concert.

The "9" that some posters have been referring to are that whole set of friends and possibly that is where the thought of 9 tickets came into play.

Yes, just had to jump in here. I have been following from the beginning, and it has always been my understanding that the "9" referred to her circle of high school friends, but there were only 4 tickets purchased for the concert. Common sense would tell us that if there were actually 9 of them at the concert, there would be many more witnesses. That's not the case. Only 4 people, possibly 5 with the alluded to boyfriend of someone, attended the concert together.

When somebody goes missing there is always something. A disgruntled husband or boyfriend. A shady past. Employment. And then there are the clues. The phone call, the he said she said.

What makes this case so very mysterious is there is none of that. No stalker. No family problems. No employer.

She had a loving family, friends and a bright future. She was a young girl living her life.

It is like somebody said earlier Morgan seems to have vanished into thin air.

How was her relationships with her friends that attended the concert with her?
By now the police should now if their was a bf by cell phone records and emails. If there's no guy as POI then what about a breakdown in friendship?
or trusted someone from the concert she just met that night.
The other option is stranger abduction which explain the vanishing into air theory.

I think a girl who grew up in an afluent household would have a tough time just "dropping out". I think she might have been "tore up", made some poor decisions and either crossed paths with a predator or found some folks to party with and things went south. It doesn't matter though whether she was tore up or not, she deserves to be found and justice served if applicable. I believe LE knows the state of her sobriety but it is frustrtating that we don't in the public as it would help guide our analysis and speculations.

Funny we aren't hearing anything more from or about the basketball players she was last seen with? Did the UVA do a good job keeping them quiet and the focus shifted??

MeoW333, law enforcement has most likely talked to everyone they can think of and some more than once. And I’m sure they know much more than we do. One interesting thing about this case is that I have not heard anything about polygraphs tests being given to anyone. If you look at almost every other missing person case someone or several people have been asked to take a polygraph. Why not here? And something folks may not know, the “lie detector test” is rapidly going the way of the dinosaur. Almost all LE offices now have what is called Voice Stress Analyzers. Some VSA are about the size of a briefcase and hooked up to a laptop computer. Others at larger agencies such as the FBI or NSA are built into the walls. VSA technology is said to record psycho physiological stress responses that are present in human voice when a person suffers stress in response to a stimulus (question) and where the consequences of lying may be dire for the subject being tested. It’s still very controversial but so are polygraphs. In 2003 VSP decided not to use VSA because it was still to new. I don’t know if they do now.

You bring up a good point about the purse and LE saying she is w/o ID. So maybe she did lose it. But a “real” or experienced perp and not just some young college kid would never leave evidence like that behind. As I think about it more, if there was no purse then LE and the family would have no way of knowing she just didn’t leave town or runaway. So that's a good point. And the text was sent from her phone if all this is too believed. But I doubt the call to a friend if one was made for a ride, was placed using that phone.

I like the way you reason and word your thoughts in your posts, they really make me think and research and that is a good thing! :) You leave things open when you word them, they aren't one way or another.
It is a baffling case. I agree that LE knows a lot more than we do.

At this point, i don't think her friends who she went to the concert with have anything to do with her being missing. Another poster brought up a good point, Tamfish related about her friends, and what if Morgan was the "wild child" of the group, so the type of behavior by her would not be alarming to the friends? Also when Morgan's dad called the next morning, her friends explained what had happened the night before, which is when her father called police. So it seems that they all had no idea something "bad" could have happened to Morgan up until that point.

Is it possible that LE has a perp in their sights and is watching their every move to lead them to a body? If they told us via media, it would also alert the perp.

If LE feels that those involved in the case are telling the truth and have reason to believe they are, maybe they wouldn't need to give anyone any VSAs or LDTs thus far into the case?

I came across an article which elaborates a little better on the context of the phone call between Morgan and her friends:

"Harrington left her seat during the concert to go to the bathroom, her friends told police officers, but then ended up outside. She was denied reentry to the arena between 8:20 and 8:30 p.m., because she did not have her ticket stub. Bystander reports place her outside the arena near the ticket booths until 8:48 p.m.
At that time, he said, one of her friends inside the arena called her, and Harrington informed her of the situation. Her friend suggested other points of entry to the arena that Harrington might try to access, but Harrington then indicated to her friend that if she could not reenter, she would try to find a ride home from friends who live in Charlottesville, Rader said.
Multiple witnesses reported seeing someone matching Harrington’s description in the vicinity of the exterior of the arena as late as 9 p.m., Rader said."
http://www.cavalierdaily.com/2009/10/29/police-release-timeline-of-harrington’s-movements/

Given that this information is accurate, it would seem like she was taking her friends' advice and looking for another point to access entry into the arena again.
It might be possible that when she did exit the arena for some unknown reason, thinking that she would be able to get back inside even though their was a no re-entry policy. (That her friends were telling her other points of entry to try to get back in suggests she/they might have really believed that despite the policy, they could still get back inside once outside, when in reality it was strictly enforced.)

At around 9:10pm according to the timelines if accurate, she was seen at the University Hall area. So that's maybe say rounded off a 22 minute gap she would have last talked to the friends at 8:48pm and tried to get back inside the arena possibly? Reports say she was last seen at the Arena outside 9pm, which would make that closer to 12 minutes, which doesn't seem like that long a time to attempt to get back inside, however if her cell phone had died and she wasn't wearing a watch she wouldn't be aware of the time and every minute could seem longer than it was if she was anxious to get back inside, being not dressed for the bad weather outside.. not sure how far the walk would take from the JPJ to the UHA area..?
This specific article does say that she was denied re-entry since she did not have her ticket stub. I've heard conflicting stories on that, that she would have had to get another ticket.

Do you know if it was mentioned at what time the text was made around?
Only 2 known (mentioned to the public anyway) calls/text from Morgan. One coming in from her friends and later one text going out to a young man. You'd think the text to the young man would be a last resort since she couldn't get back in and didn't want to wait. Maybe she thought she could meet up with him until the end of the concert or get a ride home with him. The whole "text to a young man" is interesting and LE tells us nothing aside from she texted a young man.

It would explain though, in a why, why nothing else needs to be mentioned about him. If he is not directly involved aside from Morgan having tried to reach him by text, and the context of the text remains quiet, that i would think would be another piece to this puzzle.

For LE to think that she may have asked someone to use their cell phone,
possibly the young man she texted had received a text from her, yet not from her own cell phone number, and thus LE has the information that she borrowed someone else's phone possibly? If she did borrow a phone, it should be able to be traced to whose phone it really was, unless it was a prepaid cell phone under an alias and fake address.
Or maybe in the context of her text to him, she mentioned her phone battery dying and/or that she would try and ask someone to use their cell to text again, she was using someone else's cell, or some other type of clue that would lead police to believe she may have been trying to contact someone else from someone's phone, and they need that information.

The thing i will beg to differ on is that experienced perp or "real" one would leave the purse behind. Even the worst serial killers have made mistakes which have led to their capture. Perps can't always "get lucky" all the time. In haste of the situation, it is possible a perp could have tossed her purse due to it containing the cell phone. It would be cold out enough to wear gloves if one wanted to..
I do agree, that it could have been a college kid inexperience that tossed it as well, as it being found did accelerate the case much quicker than if it wasn't, i agree.
If the purse wasn't left behind, i think it would have changed the way the case is being looked at, i agree. LE always knows more than they tell us, within good reason.
Hopefully there will be a break in the case soon..

Funny we aren't hearing anything more from or about the basketball players she was last seen with? Did the UVA do a good job keeping them quiet and the focus shifted??

Come now, do you expect anything less from the best PR machine in Central Virginia?

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=161409341318&index=1

This was just posted on Facebook by one of Morgans friends. Interesting. Did she leave and then return to the RV lot and leave the purse and cellphone then?
That's very interesting. Usually a cell that is turned off or with a dead battery will go straight to voicemail, but not ring. Ringing suggests it was on and the battery was working.

When was her pocketbook turned in again?

That's very interesting. Usually a cell that is turned off or with a dead battery will go straight to voicemail, but not ring. Ringing suggests it was on and the battery was working.

When was her pocketbook turned in again?

According to the Crime Reports section of the UVA Police website, around 8am at the Cage Parking Lot.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=161409341318&index=1

This was just posted on Facebook by one of Morgans friends. Interesting. Did she leave and then return to the RV lot and leave the purse and cellphone then?

LE did a press conference that day on October 20th, they had pocketbook containing her cell phone by then. It's very possible they either replaced the battery, it always had the battery and they charged the cell, and turned on the phone to investigate who would make calls into it.

I seriously doubt Morgan returned to the RV lot to leave her purse and cell phone there. There's no rational behind that.

Is this facebook friend a "real legit friend"? Why is she relaying this info now if it really happened then? LE probably had the phone turned on.

Respectfully snipped:

I don't think any searches have occurred at any of the places you mention. All tremendously difficult to search. Also, if there was fog that night or morning it would be so very easy to dump a body off the side of a road and down a hill with no witnesses even if the roadways were busy. Scary places in a situation such as this. Beautiful otherwise. Helicopter searches may be the way to first begin. (Although I feel that LE think she must be closer or have some sort of lead with the way everything is being handled.)
Sadly helicopter searches wouldnt be of any help with all the leaves covering the grounds....

How could she just go missing without a trace? Without someone knowing something? Without ANY clues?

This case reminds me so much of the Britanee Drexel case!

Is there any way these could be connected? How wonderful it would be to find both girls alive - being held captive, (like Jaycee Durgard - sorry sp?)

I think I know why Morgan left the concert. She had a phone call to make and she couldn't hear what was being said because of too many people and loud music or.... it would not work inside. So she stepped outside because she either rec'd a call or needed to make a call to see if someone was coming and then could not get back in. So it was important for her telephone battery to be removed so that her whereabouts could not be so easily traced. I think she probably was with more than one person and so someone while she was distracted tossed her bag and cell out a window. For that matter she may have tossed it to leave a trail and did not realize her cell phone battery was gone. I think the best thing that LE can do is find out who she associated with. On another blog I think it was mentioned that she knew someone well that was security on campus.

LE did a press conference that day on October 20th, they had pocketbook containing her cell phone by then. It's very possible they either replaced the battery, it always had the battery and they charged the cell, and turned on the phone to investigate who would make calls into it.

I seriously doubt Morgan returned to the RV lot to leave her purse and cell phone there. There's no rational behind that.

Is this facebook friend a "real legit friend"? Why is she relaying this info now if it really happened then? LE probably had the phone turned on.

Thank you, this makes most sense to me. LE never said the battery was missing just removed. Maybe they charged to see what if any messages were on the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aqfina2000