GUILTY VA - Nicole Lovell, 13, murdered, Blacksburg, 27 Jan 2016 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I completely agree. I still replay David's "the truth shall set me free" comment from his arrest and gasp. Typical sheltered and entitled "gifted" athlete kid that has learned to manipulate people his whole life. To the bitter end I believe he expected his attorneys and parents to "get him out of this." He deserves to be in prison for a very long time for what he did to Nicole.

Natalie, I struggle with. I suppose I stand with my original thoughts at her trial that I believe she displayed real grief at the realization of what she did not do to protect Nicole.
I think she showed sincere remorse at her sentencing. She was a very troubled soul who had extremely low self esteem and confidence. With her mental instabilities, she really shouldn't have been at VT for engineering or any degree for that matter.

I just discovered the case and read through the threads. What a sad story.

“Sheltered” is almost an understatement in the case of DE.

Initially I tried to rationalize it; a tiny Christian school in the midst of rural Washington provided the worldview the size of a cover glass. Probably no chance of even dating there, thought I, nor during the last year in public HS, did that play a role?

But then I realized that with stats and diplomas DE got, the main moral principle, “thou shalt not kill”, didn’t even rub into him. There is some major moral flaw in this young man. I feel very sorry for DE’s parents, all their love, pride, expectations ending up in this.

(And lots of privilege, too, seen in the details). NL he viewed as a barrier on his way, so he just crushed her like a butterfly and walked further.

About NL, I wonder if somewhere of the course of her transplant treatment, she indeed got steroids. It could explain some behavioral issues, as well as her diminutive size. (There is no way DE did not see that she was a very young teenager. Ugly). I feel very sorry for NL’s parents, especially her mother. It is hard to be on top of all internet apps when you are taking care of a child with liver transplant who is bullied at school.

About Natalie, I am not too hopeful, either. She was nineteen, and many women with her issues learn to compensate with altruism by this age. I am happy to be proven wrong, but not holding my breath.

Last edited:
No idea when it happened, but I was curious about the location of a few inmates related to cases I have followed in the past. When I looked up DE in the VA inmate locator, it appears he is no longer at Red Onion (last I looked on that same site that's where he was) and is now at Greensville Correctional Center. I couldn't find any related news articles.

Wikipedia says it Greensville used to be maximum security, but is now reclassified to close security. They changed it to handle the overcrowding at the other state prisons. It used to handle executions, until VA stopped those.

It was built in 1990, so its a more modern facility. It has an adjacent minimum-security work camp for low risk prisoners. I hope they aren't letting him do that.

Overall, it seems possible he was moved due to overcrowding with more high risk, dangerous prisoners. Not sure why they think he isn't one. Also, his parents might have pulled some strings to have him incarcerated at a prison closer to where they live. IIRC, his parents live in the Greater Washington DC Area.

He was sentenced to 50 yrs. plus 25 yrs probation. I have a feeling his family and attorneys have a plan to get him released sooner than that, maybe 20 years. This move establishes that he's not a high risk prisoner. He's a violent,manipulative, sadistic psychopath. He'll never stop being a threat to other people who he deems inferior to him.

He's also probably falling back on his conservative upbringing to play the pious Christian routine.

Interesting quote from the teacher in his 10th grade bible class:

Kathryn Anne Stoothoff, who taught Eisenhauer in a 10th-grade English class and a bible class, said he was bright, but "needed clear rules to be successful." She said he would "follow someone off a cliff if they convinced him it was the right thing to do."
If he wasn't following rules, it was because he was making up his own rules, not following others. If he was having problems following the rules in 10th grade it wasn't because he was naive.

Amazing that, after murdering an innocent girl, his bible teacher is still making excuses for him.

I'd modify her sentence to say: "He would shove someone off a cliff if he was convinced it was the right thing to do."

JMO

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member