VA VA - Petersburg, BlkFem 20-39, UP6665 & UP10692, remains in 2 locations, May '07 & Aug'12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score

A human skull of a female was found in several inches of water in the Appomattox Canal on August 12, 2012.
Location: 200 Ft West of River and Third Street, Petersburg, VA

Age and race cannot be determined.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/10692

No updates on age, race or PMI but there is a 2014 recon. Given the lack of information about the basics, one wonders how this was conceived, but here it is FWIW.
Thumbnail

Another NamUs entry containing the same recon but different date of discovery
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Thanks, that says they have 2 sets of remains found at different times that were linked as being the same person with DNA:

Circumstances of Recovery
05/14/07, Human remains were found washed up against a bridge abuttment in Lieutenant's Run Creek behind the Ramada Plaza at 380 E. Washington Street Petersburg, Virginia. 08/12/12, a human skull was found in the water in Appomattox canal. Anthropologist advised the skull is of a b/f, 25-40 years of age. DNA results linked the skeleton to the skull.

2007 remains case: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
2012 remains case: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I don't know if this lady has ever been located, but her age, race fit. She was last seen in March 2006, first remains found in 2007, according to the NAMUS info. From further research her full name is Doris Ann Brown, and she was last seen in Henrico County, very close to Petersburg, and had been in an altercation. She's a mother of five.
missing-person-record__Brown

Name
Doris Ann
Missing Age
Current Age
Last Seen
Richmond, VA on 03/16/2006
Physical Description
Race: Black Gender: Female Hair Color: Black Eye Color: Brown Height: 5’6” Weight: 145 lbs.
Case Number
View Source

I don't know if this lady has ever been located, but her age, race fit. She was last seen in March 2006, first remains found in 2007, according to the NAMUS info. From further research her full name is Doris Ann Brown, and she was last seen in Henrico County, very close to Petersburg, and had been in an altercation. She's a mother of five.
missing-person-record__Brown

Name
Doris Ann
Missing Age
Current Age
Last Seen
Richmond, VA on 03/16/2006
Physical Description
Race: Black Gender: Female Hair Color: Black Eye Color: Brown Height: 5’6” Weight: 145 lbs.
Case Number
View Source
Unfortunately, she is ruled out as the Doe according to NamUs.

I wonder if they've checked out this lady, last seen in '05.

rOv8kFsiGS1NViQ8-lkiR2STvhV6DppFjJNtOi8ObjzlYByW9KoOIPC1IykIWHfSvuLRTbmZOFd8b1JXU4pmywEPrS_kY1F5M78Hx0ipfKGwC0N7Z8l2cf-jxpgq_ipWL-GztRkBWFv0f30GgVIqvwblcAzyqy5pSkTCEGkElVv75APNaanEFQ

Age at time of disappearance: 45

Sex: Female

Race: Black

Hair: Black

Eyes: Brown

Height: 5’7”

Weight: 160 lbs

Missing From: Richmond, Virginia

Missing Since: January 9, 2005

Details: STEPHANIE WAS LAST SEEN ON 1/9/2005. SHE GOES BY THE NICKNAME “CHERRY”. SHE IS MISSING THREE TOP FRONT TEETH AND HAS A LARGE CYST ON HER LEFT WRIST.

So does this indicate another person separated her head from her body, or could this have happened naturally during decomposition?
Edit
Also do we know why these two cases havent been combined. I was under the impression that was the standard practice

So does this indicate another person separated her head from her body, or could this have happened naturally during decomposition?
Edit
Also do we know why these two cases havent been combined. I was under the impression that was the standard practice
Strange that they wouldn’t have combined the two findings after DNA linked them. Bones do disarticulate on their own within weeks to months in the water depending on conditions.

The fact that these remains were found behind a cheap hotel in Virginia, got me thinking, what about April Lynne Snell? NAMUS Profile: #MP123532

As per Salisbury PD - Cold Case Files:
On October 5, 1999 SPD officers responded to a report of a missing person. Investigation determined that April Lynne Snell was last seen several days prior in the company of her friend, Catharyn Ruth Garner, and two men. Snell has not been seen since that time. Garner was found murdered several weeks later in a wooded area off of Athol Rd. in Quantico. Snell had several young children at the time of her disappearance and indications are that she would not have voluntarily left them for such an extended period.

1717726030855.png1717727125401.png

Attachments

• 1717726128414.png
    1717726128414.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 1
Both Namus cases were updated in Namus earlier this week. Three exclusions listed on UP6665 and one exclusion (Sharon Jones) listed against UP10692.

View attachment 391052
No new ruleouts in Namus since I posted in December 2022. Three exclusions listed on UP6665 and one exclusion (Sharon Jones) listed against UP10692. UP6665 was updated today in Namus but I can't see any changes to the record, so may be something only visible to LE.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ilda
Back