VA VA, Roberta Walls, age 22, baseball field in Virginia Beach, May 15, 1986

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

BeginnerSleuther

Verified Physician
Reaction score
This case is special to me. I lived by that field. It's where my friends and I rode our bikes and played every single day. That day after school, my friends and I were not allowed to go there (I think the scene was still blocked by PD) and none of our parents would tell us why. We heard about it through neighborhood gossip. After that, my mom never let me go there again (we'd go anyway), but it was just a case that struck home. My friends and I used to walk to the library she was walking home from and the case has stayed with me (and terrified me) for 30 years.

Important to note that a year prior, another woman was murdered in the same area. We lived in an apartment complex called at the time The Courts. The athletic field was right behind the complex. Within the complex, there were different "courts" and Lisa Jolley was strangled and put in her bathtub in Barnaby Court in broad daylight. Barnaby Court is literally a 5 minute walk to where Roberta's body was found. It's the same complex/neighborhood. Again, I had heard about Lisa's murder through neighborhood gossip.

There have been concerns about a serial killer operating in the area during that time, but for some reason Roberta and Lisa are not usually listed as victims of the serial killer and no connection has been made between a man recently arrested for two other murders a decade earlier and these cases.

Roberta:
HGveYEq.jpg

Roberta's story:
Roberta Walls :: VBgov.com - City of Virginia Beach

She was killed 31 years ago, her body found on a Virginia Beach baseball field. There's new hope to find her killer.

POI (based on DNA phenotyping with age progression):
c2mNauT.jpg

Any help fellow sleuths?

I read the information on Lisa Jolley. The manner of death between the two women is not the same. I do not think they are of the same person's work, although they could be.

Last edited:
I wasn't able to really find anything else out there on her. The article says she was stabbed and raped, which still could be a crime of opportunity, not necessarily someone who knew her. That she was using drugs and alcohol that night doesn't really help things, it could be someone followed her home from the bar and chose the field as a good opportunity. Hopefully the DNA can help find the perp.

I wasn't able to really find anything else out there on her. The article says she was stabbed and raped, which still could be a crime of opportunity, not necessarily someone who knew her. That she was using drugs and alcohol that night doesn't really help things, it could be someone followed her home from the bar and chose the field as a good opportunity. Hopefully the DNA can help find the perp.

I believe she was walking home from the library, not the bar.

I read the information on Lisa Jolley. The manner of death between the two women is not the same. I do not think they are of the same person's work, although they could be.

I only mentioned that because there is rumored a serial killer was active in the area killing young women around the same age. The proximity of the murders of Lisa and Roberta is eerie to me though I agree it's likely not the same person who killed both.

Dennis Lee Bowman murdered Kathleen O'Brien Doyle in her Virginia Beach home 0n 11 September 1980.
That murder went unsolved until only recently when Bowman was tried and convicted, and sentenced to Life in Prison. He also murdered and dismembered his own step daughter, Aundria Bowman in 1989 in Michigan and was convicted for that crime. It is very likely he murdered others in between those two murders.

th

Dennis Lee Bowman in 1980 photo and as he appears today, a convicted serial killer.

LINK:

GUILTY - VA - Kathleen O'Brien Doyle, 25, Murdered, Virginia Beach, 11 Sept 1980 *arrest in 2019*

I hope these cases are solved soon. So sad that the family and friends have no answers as to what happened to these ladies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrueCrimeJunkieCory
Back