Found Deceased VA - Sarabeth Hammond, 17, Roanoke, 28 Dec 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I really hope she's found safe. I find it ludicrous that anyone would suggest that she is not in danger. She's a child who is missing under suspicious circumstances and has a disease that requires medication.

I've been reading her mother's FB all afternoon and it's heartbreaking. My daughter is this age. It's all very sobering.
It appears they think she's voluntarily missing.

I wonder when she was going back to NY? Did she not want to go? Or was she here for awhile and wanting to go back? Haven't seen anything mentioning either way other than she was visiting her Mom in Roanoke.

I wonder when she was going back to NY? Did she not want to go? Or was she here for awhile and wanting to go back? Haven't seen anything mentioning either way other than she was visiting her Mom in Roanoke.

Did she live with her father in NY? Or why was she not living with mom? I mean, she's only 17.

Maybe there's a guy back in NY. You know how it is at that age. Had to go back to NY asap to see him. Raging hormones ... I hope that's what it is.

Did she live with her father in NY? Or why was she not living with mom? I mean, she's only 17.

Maybe there's a guy back in NY. You know how it is at that age. Had to go back to NY asap to see him. Raging hormones ... I hope that's what it is.

Mom splits her time between NY and Roanoke and there is family both places as well IIRC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how OnStar works, but maybe it locates your car by last known location? Her mom was trying to get the VIN number to activate location services for the car after Sarabeth disappeared, so if the car has to be in use to provide a location, it wouldn't work if it was activated after the car is disabled.

I'm guessing they got the information that she was at Bent Mountain from cell phone pings. I wonder why she would be there if she was supposed to be going home to change clothes before meeting her family. Does she live on Bent Mountain? I just googled her mom's event design business, I don't know if she runs it from their home, but the address is off of Bent Mountain Rd. Bent Mountain Bistro is quite a way further down the road though, about 9 miles past the business address. Wonder if the location she was supposed to be meeting with family is in that direction.

I had a vehicle with onstar in the past, and you had to pay for a 'subscription' to the service every so often. With Most new vehicles that come with onstar capability, the dealer will give you a trial period subscription to the services. Similar to how sirius xm radio works. I eventually let the onstar in said vehicle run out and didnt renew it because i never used it. So the car was still equipped with onstar, but possibly in this case didnt have a current subscription. When i didnt have a current subscription, my daughter pushed the onstar emergency button, & it did connect us to them right away. So i think in an emergency you could still manually get thru to onstar, but some of the 'smart' or location functions are unavailable without a current onstar subscription
Imo

You can unplug the Onstar module under the panel in the back under the spare tire or you can turn the car off and pull the Onstar fuse. Both will disable it entirely.

Her mother wrote on Facebook that she was last seen driving her white Hyundai Elantra with New York plates TCW125; she also wrote that her phone was found in the vicinity of Brambleton Avenue.

http://wset.com/news/local/roanoke-county-police-looking-for-missing-teenager

She also had OnStar installed in her car, which can be used for tracking, but according to her mom her vehicle is not in use and therefore it can't be used.

What does that mean? She was last seen driving her car, but her car is not in use? :confused:

Onstar also works off cell towers and the cell coverage on Bent Mountain is sketchy at best. It may not be able to link up to the system.

ETA coverage is bad enough that if I'm going to visit someone up there where I haven't been before I'll still print out directions.

My husband and I had bought a new Hyundai Sonata a couple years ago. We drove up Bent Mountain on way to a winery and used the GPS to get back as we took back roads. It amazed us how good it worked up there. Also as long ago as six years me and my sister were in Floyd, Va and she actually had cell phone reception with Verizon but I had a different provider and no reception. From Roanoke you start out on Brambleton Ave to go up on Bent Mountain. Staying on that rather treacherous road takes you on into Floyd. I cringe to think of an inexperienced driver going up Bent Mountain. I grew up on Brambleton Ave. Many wrecks occur on up that road. There are huge curves going up that mountain where if you don't slow down even experienced drivers would have trouble. Praying for a belated Christmas miracle for Sarabeth and her family.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

From her Mom's facebook, she didn't have Onstar but something called Blue. It wasn't activated until after SH went missing, and she had to have the VIN to activate it. I'm not familiar with Blue so not sure how it works, or if the vehicle is in water, would that cause it to stop working? Is there anything within the car that would alert that Blue was being activated? Could you opt to NOT have it activated if you were in the vehicle?

Her mom's fb friend said she just saw SB facebook active. They are calling it into the police. Lots of comments on it.

From her Mom's facebook, she didn't have Onstar but something called Blue. It wasn't activated until after SH went missing, and she had to have the VIN to activate it. I'm not familiar with Blue so not sure how it works, or if the vehicle is in water, would that cause it to stop working? Is there anything within the car that would alert that Blue was being activated? Could you opt to NOT have it activated if you were in the vehicle?
We have that "Blue Link" on ours but only thing I know about it is using GPS and Sirius satellite. My husband knows all that kind of thing. I will ask him later.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

While abduction, murder, etc CAN happen here, typical murders have involved drug or gang related, or domestic violence. Stranger murders....I can't remember a recent case in Roanoke or Roanoke County, Bent Mtn, Franklin County, etc. Not saying something like that couldn't or wouldn't happen here, but it would be extremely rare!!

I agree, it's very uncommon in our area, however there was an elderly woman several months ago who was found beaten in her backyard. She passed away after a week or so in the hospital and they've so far made no arrests and have released very little information. It happened in the Bridlewood neighborhood (right off Brambleton/Bent Mountain Road). I highly doubt it's related but potentially worth noting.

On another note, I work 4 miles from the Bistro and eat there often. I use a pay-as-you-go phone service and though they're notorious for poor service, I've personally never had any issues with service at work or on Bent Mountain.

I agree, it's very uncommon in our area, however there was an elderly woman several months ago who was found beaten in her backyard. She passed away after a week or so in the hospital and they've so far made no arrests and have released very little information. It happened in the Bridlewood neighborhood (right off Brambleton/Bent Mountain Road). I highly doubt it's related but potentially worth noting.

On another note, I work 4 miles from the Bistro and eat there often. I use a pay-as-you-go phone service and though they're notorious for poor service, I've personally never had any issues with service at work or on Bent Mountain.

I agree that it's probably not related, but her mom's business address/possibly their home address is on Bridlewood Dr, so it could be a possibility.

Her mom's fb friend said she just saw SB facebook active. They are calling it into the police. Lots of comments on it.

What does it mean she saw her fb "active"? Did Sarabeth's account post something?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious38
Back