VA VA - Scott Ratigan, 24, found murdered in apartment, Arlington, 17 Jan 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just finished reading through this thread and I have a few thoughts:

APD released CCTV footage showing a POI in what appears to be at least 2 separate locations, but did not specify whether the videos were taken before or after (or both) SR's murder, although others here have speculated as to when the videos were taken IIRC APD has not confirmed the time(s) of the videos. Earlier in the thread there was discussion about how the killer may have gained access to the building (i.e., multiple entrances, not needing key fobs, concierge waving delivery personnel through, etc.), but I wonder what the killer might have done after the murder. Did they drive to the AVA? If so, where did they park? Would they use a private parking garage or park on the street? In my experience most garages have CCTV cameras and many have an attendant which could be used to identify the perp.

Street parking might be less 'risky,' although I used to live in the area and remember most street parking in the area directly around the AVA being metered (IIRC with a 2-hour limit). Buses and metro are also options, but CCTV would also be a risk, especially with the metro. Unless the killer lived nearby, walking seems unlikely IMO -- Ballston is blanketed with CCTV and a person wearing all black and a balaclava with a distinct gait would be a relatively unusual sight. A taxi or rideshare also seems unlikely to me as LE would likely be able to request those records, plus most taxis/rideshares now have dashcams and/or cameras inside the vehicle.

MOO but after mulling over all the possible ways the killer could've left the area, I feel that the killer used their own vehicle to get to Ballston but likely parked far enough away from the AVA that they were out of range of security cameras/metered parking. There is lots of unmetered street parking on the other side of Glebe Road, and that area has single-family homes and low-rise apartment complexes which might be less likely to have CCTV than the high-density, mixed-use area around the AVA. There is also a large open parking lot in Quincy Park off Washington Boulevard.

Just finished reading through this thread and I have a few thoughts:

APD released CCTV footage showing a POI in what appears to be at least 2 separate locations, but did not specify whether the videos were taken before or after (or both) SR's murder, although others here have speculated as to when the videos were taken IIRC APD has not confirmed the time(s) of the videos. Earlier in the thread there was discussion about how the killer may have gained access to the building (i.e., multiple entrances, not needing key fobs, concierge waving delivery personnel through, etc.), but I wonder what the killer might have done after the murder. Did they drive to the AVA? If so, where did they park? Would they use a private parking garage or park on the street? In my experience most garages have CCTV cameras and many have an attendant which could be used to identify the perp.

Street parking might be less 'risky,' although I used to live in the area and remember most street parking in the area directly around the AVA being metered (IIRC with a 2-hour limit). Buses and metro are also options, but CCTV would also be a risk, especially with the metro. Unless the killer lived nearby, walking seems unlikely IMO -- Ballston is blanketed with CCTV and a person wearing all black and a balaclava with a distinct gait would be a relatively unusual sight. A taxi or rideshare also seems unlikely to me as LE would likely be able to request those records, plus most taxis/rideshares now have dashcams and/or cameras inside the vehicle.

MOO but after mulling over all the possible ways the killer could've left the area, I feel that the killer used their own vehicle to get to Ballston but likely parked far enough away from the AVA that they were out of range of security cameras/metered parking. There is lots of unmetered street parking on the other side of Glebe Road, and that area has single-family homes and low-rise apartment complexes which might be less likely to have CCTV than the high-density, mixed-use area around the AVA. There is also a large open parking lot in Quincy Park off Washington Boulevard.

interesting to note that user _Patches in this post said that the route as seen in the footage doesn't really make sense since he appears to be going north in two segments, south in another two, and both north and south side of Wilson, and going east from Randolph:

i'm not really sure what to make of that, although personally I feel the cops have more surveillance they didn’t release so the weird route is most likely due to the footage being fragmented. i also used to live in the Ballston general area, about 6 blocks from the metro station. as i remember it from 10 years ago, the area isn't overly confusing to me (unlike DC streets which can be) so I’m not sure he was lost. Although i suppose people can get lost anywhere and construction can add to that if there was any at the time.

traveling on Wilson does kinda make me think he used the Ballston metro at least one way.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnjackson971@
Back