VA VA - Scott Ratigan, 24, found murdered in apartment, Arlington, 17 Jan 2020

I will partially disagree with this, there was plenty I saw of his friends and family upset about his passing. Seemed very well liked and popular. I also think it's something to note that people of this age group don't use Facebook as much anymore or are much better about privacy settings so these a lot of these things may not appear in public searches.

There is nothing about wanting to find the killer though that I've seen (apart from a very short news clip of his father in front of their home). Earlier I felt like a lack of calls for help was a good sign that an arrest was in the foreseeable future, but now it just seems odd because there has been radio silence from LE and the media since January.

I agree that younger ages don’t use Facebook as much but it just surprises me that more people aren’t talking about it on FB. Like you, I thought we would have heard more. I figured an arrest would be made by now. I’m just surprised. Hopefully, the continued silence means police are pulling together some solid information.

So I’m just tuning in here but curious to see if anyone has heard of any new information about this crime or any updates with regard to the status of the criminal investigation?

Like many people have already mentioned in this forum, the lack of communication and transparency across news outlets and police over this local homicide, coupled with zero mentioning of a tragic incident ever occurring on his friends, family, or GF social media posts about SR, seems a bit to.....suspect.

My friend worked with him at the corporate sales job mentioned in reports. A few rumors have circulated that I came across recently but nothing adds up. After multiple google searches later trying to find some sort of indication or recent info that this case is moving along or closed, here I am on this forum looking for some inkling that the investigation is at least moving behind the scene... yet it seems like I’m on the same page as the rest of the commenters.. aka nowhere.

If there was a charge made on a potential suspect(innocent until proven guilty), then that would be considered public knowledge and the public would at least be notified that someone was brought in for questioning or charged without disclosing personal details. However, I haven’t seen a single post that indicates any advancements to the investigation nor have I seen from friends, family, news, etc. a that an investigation is taking place or took place PERIOD.

I don’t know about y’all, but for a cleaned up, good standing (or so it seems on the outside), 24 year old boy with a decent job and clearly a nice apartment that’s described in the above comments, it doesn’t add up to me that SR was found in his Arlington, VA apartment with many “trauma wounds” in upper body, supposedly blood coming out of his hands/ neck, and with first responders at the crime accounting for bleach at the scene. This is a boy that went to Whitlows on Wilson for Thursday’s HH drink specials to hang with preppy coworkers to give you an idea. And If this was a ‘suicide’ (that some people claim) why would SR cover up his own suicide with bleach? .. yeah... unlikely.

Having multiple “upper body wounds” ..aka most likely a brutal attack that’s not disclosed.. doesn't seem like a random impersonal attack to me. It doesn’t seem like this would be done by someone you pissed off in a given moment either. This is a crime of passion. Clearly the murderer had a motive and a plan of attack, proven with the bleach coverup. Also, not surprised that the cameras didn’t work. I bet the attacker had an eye on SR for a while and knew this was the case -whether the attached is from a close connection that’s unbeknownst to the public yet or someone that doesn’t know SR personally but maybe was put up with the task be someone who does. I guess we will never know now but for this tragic story to play out like it did, someone would have needed to know the exact apartment #, how to find it, what floor, location of stairs, how to get in the building in the first place etc.

Also, there is zero mentioning of his phone being located, whether police went through texts, bank accounts, day he was last scene, what SR was planning to do that night, etc. So many questions and so many missing clarifications that seem pivotal to solving this case. My guess would be is that if you followed the money, you’d find the answer... check cash withdraws, venmo charges, PayPal’s, etc. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is an answer there or at least a lead of who he hangs out with, what he was buying, time stamps, locations, etc.

I feel awful for the family, gf, friends. Such a terrible story and I hope this gets resolved for their sake.if anyone has any updates, please share. I’m curious to see if this case is closed or if there is hope for justice.

thx

So I’m just tuning in here but curious to see if anyone has heard of any new information about this crime or any updates with regard to the status of the criminal investigation?

Like many people have already mentioned in this forum, the lack of communication and transparency across news outlets and police over this local homicide, coupled with zero mentioning of a tragic incident ever occurring on his friends, family, or GF social media posts about SR, seems a bit to.....suspect.

My friend worked with him at the corporate sales job mentioned in reports. A few rumors have circulated that I came across recently but nothing adds up. After multiple google searches later trying to find some sort of indication or recent info that this case is moving along or closed, here I am on this forum looking for some inkling that the investigation is at least moving behind the scene... yet it seems like I’m on the same page as the rest of the commenters.. aka nowhere.

If there was a charge made on a potential suspect(innocent until proven guilty), then that would be considered public knowledge and the public would at least be notified that someone was brought in for questioning or charged without disclosing personal details. However, I haven’t seen a single post that indicates any advancements to the investigation nor have I seen from friends, family, news, etc. a that an investigation is taking place or took place PERIOD.

I don’t know about y’all, but for a cleaned up, good standing (or so it seems on the outside), 24 year old boy with a decent job and clearly a nice apartment that’s described in the above comments, it doesn’t add up to me that SR was found in his Arlington, VA apartment with many “trauma wounds” in upper body, supposedly blood coming out of his hands/ neck, and with first responders at the crime accounting for bleach at the scene. This is a boy that went to Whitlows on Wilson for Thursday’s HH drink specials to hang with preppy coworkers to give you an idea. And If this was a ‘suicide’ (that some people claim) why would SR cover up his own suicide with bleach? .. yeah... unlikely.

Having multiple “upper body wounds” ..aka most likely a brutal attack that’s not disclosed.. doesn't seem like a random impersonal attack to me. It doesn’t seem like this would be done by someone you pissed off in a given moment either. This is a crime of passion. Clearly the murderer had a motive and a plan of attack, proven with the bleach coverup. Also, not surprised that the cameras didn’t work. I bet the attacker had an eye on SR for a while and knew this was the case -whether the attached is from a close connection that’s unbeknownst to the public yet or someone that doesn’t know SR personally but maybe was put up with the task be someone who does. I guess we will never know now but for this tragic story to play out like it did, someone would have needed to know the exact apartment #, how to find it, what floor, location of stairs, how to get in the building in the first place etc.

Also, there is zero mentioning of his phone being located, whether police went through texts, bank accounts, day he was last scene, what SR was planning to do that night, etc. So many questions and so many missing clarifications that seem pivotal to solving this case. My guess would be is that if you followed the money, you’d find the answer... check cash withdraws, venmo charges, PayPal’s, etc. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is an answer there or at least a lead of who he hangs out with, what he was buying, time stamps, locations, etc.

I feel awful for the family, gf, friends. Such a terrible story and I hope this gets resolved for their sake.if anyone has any updates, please share. I’m curious to see if this case is closed or if there is hope for justice.

thx
I’m from the area, and I’ve been curious to know what is going on in this case, too. I wonder if it was personal or a random attack. I’m following the thread in case there is any news, but I haven’t heard a word about it locally.

Yeah, same. Seems very bizarre to me. My inclination is that this has to be personal as opposed to random. On what level? I don’t know but my guess is that if the investigation has been practically silent, there’s a reason for it. Wondering if the incident in question is tied to something larger than one would initially expect and investigators are piecing together this crime to build evidence to take down a larger investigation tied to the scene of the crime.

Read online that the FBI was getting involved. Does anyone know if that’s true?

Yeah, same. Seems very bizarre to me. My inclination is that this has to be personal as opposed to random. On what level? I don’t know but my guess is that if the investigation has been practically silent, there’s a reason for it. Wondering if the incident in question is tied to something larger than one would initially expect and investigators are piecing together this crime to build evidence to take down a larger investigation tied to the scene of the crime.

Read online that the FBI was getting involved. Does anyone know if that’s true?

I had heard from friends in Arlington who were somewhat more connected than me locally that the FBI was involved. It didn’t seem crazy considering the circumstances, but I don’t know if that’s true.

I’ve tried to find anything at all possible about this around the internet over the last few months, and there is really just nothing.

I hadn’t ever heard of the “suicide” angle you mention, but if anyone is insinuating that, there certainly is no public info that even points in that direction. It would explain why there’s no push from friends/family to find a killer if they believe that.

I had heard from friends in Arlington who were somewhat more connected than me locally that the FBI was involved. It didn’t seem crazy considering the circumstances, but I don’t know if that’s true.

I’ve tried to find anything at all possible about this around the internet over the last few months, and there is really just nothing.

I hadn’t ever heard of the “suicide” angle you mention, but if anyone is insinuating that, there certainly is no public info that even points in that direction. It would explain why there’s no push from friends/family to find a killer if they believe that.
His death was ruled a homicide by LE. Mistakes have been made before, but they seem pretty certain. The Arlington County Police Department

I
can’t fathom why there has been so little information disclosed in this case. I haven’t found anything with new info since February. Considering that he was found in an apartment with four other people, that’s baffling. I’ve seen cases where LE keeps their cards close to the chest, but it’s rare for the family to go radio silent as well.

My only guess would be that LE has their man or men and is getting their ducks in a row for trial.

As to the “bleach coverup,” I’m still highly skeptical one tries to clean an apartment with bleach to hide evidence before one removes the body. If the bleach is related to the crime, the killer would have to have been interrupted while cleaning the scene and fled, cleaned part of the scene and intended to return for the body but couldn’t, or was one of the individuals found at the crime scene.

Last edited by a moderator:
His death was ruled a homicide by LE. Mistakes have been made before, but they seem pretty certain. The Arlington County Police Department

I
can’t fathom why there has been so little information disclosed in this case. I haven’t found anything with new info since February. Considering that he was found in an apartment with four other people, that’s baffling. I’ve seen cases where LE keeps their cards close to the chest, but it’s rare for the family to go radio silent as well.

My only guess would be that LE has their man or men and is getting their ducks in a row for trial.

As to the “bleach coverup,” I’m still highly skeptical one tries to clean an apartment with bleach to hide evidence before one removes the body. If the bleach is related to the crime, the killer would have to have been interrupted while cleaning the scene and fled, cleaned part of the scene and intended to return for the body but couldn’t, or was one of the individuals found at the crime scene.
I’m wondering who the four people were. I think I read that he lived with his sister and had a girlfriend. I wonder if they were two of the people? Perhaps it was an altercation between some of the four people. Just speculating.

I’m wondering who the four people were. I think I read that he lived with his sister and had a girlfriend. I wonder if they were two of the people? Perhaps it was an altercation between some of the four people. Just speculating.
That could certainly be the case. I haven’t seen any articles that give TOD and the time the 911 call was made. Indeed, I haven’t been able to determine whether the 4 individuals were in the apartment at the time of SR’s death or arrived after. IMO, when all parties to an investigation become tight-lipped so quickly after a murder, there’s a strong presumption LE knows what happened.

That could certainly be the case. I haven’t seen any articles that give TOD and the time the 911 call was made. Indeed, I haven’t been able to determine whether the 4 individuals were in the apartment at the time of SR’s death or arrived after. IMO, when all parties to an investigation become tight-lipped so quickly after a murder, there’s a strong presumption LE knows what happened.
You would think so, but then why no arrest? Was it somehow an accident and the family decided not to press charges and the whole thing disappeared? Is that even possible? It's such an odd case. Could he have been a witness or something in some other case and the whole thing has to be kept hush to not hurt another investigation? No idea.

You would think so, but then why no arrest? Was it somehow an accident and the family decided not to press charges and the whole thing disappeared? Is that even possible? It's such an odd case. Could he have been a witness or something in some other case and the whole thing has to be kept hush to not hurt another investigation? No idea.
All of those remain possibilities. It’s a weird one.

I

I agree suicide probably isn’t on the discussion table as far as plausible scenarios go based on what info we have.

Hopefully they are just keeping any information they have

911 call was 5pm-ish on a friday.

He did live with his sister so it’s very likely she was one of the four.

I do worry that they may know who did it but don’t have the evidence to feel super confident in a trial. That has to be agonizing for family/friends.

I live in a similar style apartment building and can’t help but wonder if a neighbor or other resident is responsible. Someone mentioned the use of key fobs to get in/out of the building— in my complex, the fob gives you access to all floors/ common areas regardless of where you actually live. He may have opened the door to a familiar face or left it unlocked because he was expecting company. Very easy for a neighbor to casually walk out of his apartment and disappear in plain sight. I wouldn’t really think twice if I saw someone from a different floor on mine. They would also know where the stairs are and the ways to avoid security cameras are (although it sounds like they weren’t working at the time).

I live in a similar style apartment building and can’t help but wonder if a neighbor or other resident is responsible. Someone mentioned the use of key fobs to get in/out of the building— in my complex, the fob gives you access to all floors/ common areas regardless of where you actually live. He may have opened the door to a familiar face or left it unlocked because he was expecting company. Very easy for a neighbor to casually walk out of his apartment and disappear in plain sight. I wouldn’t really think twice if I saw someone from a different floor on mine. They would also know where the stairs are and the ways to avoid security cameras are (although it sounds like they weren’t working at the time).

It could be possible. There aren't cameras at all above the 1st floor, so any movement between apartments is not monitored in any case. Also they have fob readers in the elevator which are meant to access your particular floor, but they have never been programmed so they are useless (LOL). Once you are in the building, elevator is open game.

I think it's unlikely to be someone within the building, but can't exclude it. I really think the LE response would have been much more aggressive if they thought it was someone living there who could be a risk to the other residents.

MOD NOTE:

A number of posts have been removed because they were in violation of Websleuths’ TOS. REMINDER: Websleuths does not allow rumors to be posted on these public threads. A rumor is a statement that is not and cannot be linked to a source in MSM or LE. Posts that contain the words “I heard” without a link to the info being posted are considered rumor and will be removed. Subsequent replies quoting and referring to the violating post will also be removed. There are countless other places on the internet that rumors are allowed. Websleuths is not one of them.

Thank you for your efforts to post as respectful and responsible members of Websleuths.

Faithfully,
CocoChanel

Did the Detectives retrieve a phone at the scene?
It seems like there has to be evidence of some sort.

This has to be awful for the family and loved ones.

I can't find any updates at all. No cause of death beyond "trauma to upper body," no POI let alone suspect.

I would really like to see this case solved but it's been ~9 months with no updates. What is going on?

I reached out to a local Arlington news source for info. Their response was that they have repeatedly asked police for additional information in the case but they have refused to release anything. Until a suspect is announced or arrested, there is unfortunately nothing new to report.

Update:

https://twitter.com/ArlingtonVaPD/status/1350094843595247618?s=20

Wow. This happened on Jan 17th so this person having a mask is actually out of the ordinary, way before COVID. The all black get-up as well as the mask is also just bizarre, it looks like something out of a movie. I can't exactly tell where this photo was taken in relation to the building, all I can see is the black railing in the back. I no longer live in the area so I can't look to compare anything unless I visit at some point. My initial reaction is it doesn't look like anything directly outside of the building, but I could wrong.

Pretty shocked it took almost an entire year to just release this photo, the police specifically told us last year that "if I had a photo that I wanted you to look at, we would show it to you". I took that as they didn't have one or they had one and didn't need help identifying the person.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm
Back