VA VA - Sharon Lake, 25, Deborah Frank, 23, Karen Scarborough, 17, Dale City, June 1978

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Karen Scarbrough, 17, had just graduated from Stafford High
School and started her first job at the Ryland Homes sales trailer at the end of Dale Boulevard in Dale City. Her body was found in the trailer along with two other women (Sharon Inboden Lake, 25, and Deborah Werner Frank, 23) at 6:45 p.m. on June 24, 1978. All three were shot execution-style.

(If you have any information about this cold case, contact the cold case unit at 703-792-7279 or the Crime Solvers Hotline at 703-670-3700 or 1-866-411-TIPS.)

1048011_529920670390704_449336409_o.jpg

Karen Scarbrough

1064733_529921563723948_1164697256_o.jpg

Sharon Lake

1064613_529921867057251_1767691919_o.jpg

Deborah Frank

On June 24, 1978, three women were found on the floor of a Ryland Homes sales trailer in Prince William County. This was Karen Scarbrough’s first day working in the trailer. Sharon Lake and Deborah Frank were potential customers. Tragically, each woman had been shot.

LINK:
COLD CASE CORNER – TRIPLE MURDER | Facebook

There is supposedly a sketch of a potential suspect, but could not find it in any news reports. Here is what the Washington Post said regarding a suspect"

Quote: ... the suspect, a man in his late 20s with curly reddish or brownish blond hair and a medium build, was spotted driving away from the trailer where the women were killed, on June 24, the day 0f the crime. Police have said the women were each shot once in the back of the head sometime between 4 and 6:55 p.m. that day.

The suspect, wearing a white and green stripped pullover T-shirt with a collar, was driving a dark green subcompact car with a hatchback and white bucket seats...

A witness driving past the trailer, which served as a sales office for a Ryland Homes subdivision noticed the suspect pulling away from the trailer and turning around at the dead-end of Dale Boulevard The suspect did "something that stuck out in the witness's mind,"... Unquote.

LINK:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...layings/4bc6ddc4-79bc-487d-8677-4eb53ff1d9de/

I have researched 12 cases that cross Fauquier, Loudoun, Fairfax, and Prince William County lines in Virginia that occurred between 1970 and 1991. I think there was a serial killer operating in the area in the 1970s and 1980s, and still lives in the area (now around 65-68 yrs old).

In this case, I believe one was the initial target of the serial killer (KS), and the other two women showed up unexpectedly, which led to this sad outcome.

I have researched 12 cases that cross Fauquier, Loudoun, Fairfax, and Prince William County lines in Virginia that occurred between 1970 and 1991. I think there was a serial killer operating in the area in the 1970s and 1980s, and still lives in the area (now around 65-68 yrs old).

In this case, I believe one was the initial target of the serial killer (KS), and the other two women showed up unexpectedly, which led to this sad outcome.

I assume you are referring to the 17-year old as the target? Why do you feel she was the target and what would a girl who had just graduated from high school be targeted?

This is very possible. I tend to believe they were targeted for robbery, and things got out of hand. I think more than one perp. MOO IMO

I assume you are referring to the 17-year old as the target? Why do you feel she was the target and what would a girl who had just graduated from high school be targeted?

When I say target, I don't mean to insinuate that she was targeted from Stafford or there was a great deal of pre-planning.

Here's my theory: The perp (who I believe to have been committing crimes since '70) had been canvassing the area & recognized that K. Scarborough was by herself, and attacked. With it being a Saturday evening in the early summer, I don't think the perp expected anyone else to be there, and was by surprise when S. Lake and D. Frank showed up. The perp quickly grouped the women together, got them on their knees, and cooly finished the crime and left. The relative neatness of the crime, lack of a struggle, leads me to believe this wasn't done by a druggy, but a prof. killer.

This crime left an impression on the killer, thus the taking of personal items. I think the perp left the Dale City area for a time, but returned 8 years later.

Lisa Renee Triggs body was discovered 4.5 miles from the Ryland Homes trailer crime scene.

When I say target, I don't mean to insinuate that she was targeted from Stafford or there was a great deal of pre-planning.

Here's my theory: The perp (who I believe to have been committing crimes since '70) had been canvassing the area & recognized that K. Scarborough was by herself, and attacked. With it being a Saturday evening in the early summer, I don't think the perp expected anyone else to be there, and was by surprise when S. Lake and D. Frank showed up. The perp quickly grouped the women together, got them on their knees, and cooly finished the crime and left. The relative neatness of the crime, lack of a struggle, leads me to believe this wasn't done by a druggy, but a prof. killer.

This crime left an impression on the killer, thus the taking of personal items. I think the perp left the Dale City area for a time, but returned 8 years later.

Lisa Renee Triggs body was discovered 4.5 miles from the Ryland Homes trailer crime scene.

Prince William County Police Department

August of 1989, Diana Houle was found in her apt. on Whitmer Drive, 1 block from where Lisa Triggs was found, and down the street from the Ryland Homes trailer site of the Dale City 3.

BBM...Do you have a particular suspect in mind? I am asking because you indicated an age range for the killer and said he still lives in the area. It makes me think you had someone in mind. Just curious.

What a strange case.
There are several thoughts that came to my mind:
1. Was the Business blackmailed?
2. Were there trouble with competitors?
3. No screams, no fight put up and no attempts to escape the situation? Is there any information available concerning that topic ?
4. How could police ensure it was just one perpetrator?
Maybe did he/she hide behind the 17year old employee when he heard the two customers approaching, so they got lured inside and then the dreadful situation unfolded? Because it I entered a trailer and saw a sexual harassment or a violent situation, I would throw my handbag at him or scream, attack him ... then there must be some traces. If he had a gun, I would run away or at least try to ...

What are your thoughts?

What a strange case.
There are several thoughts that came to my mind:
1. Was the Business blackmailed?
2. Were there trouble with competitors?
3. No screams, no fight put up and no attempts to escape the situation? Is there any information available concerning that topic ?
4. How could police ensure it was just one perpetrator?
Maybe did he/she hide behind the 17year old employee when he heard the two customers approaching, so they got lured inside and then the dreadful situation unfolded? Because it I entered a trailer and saw a sexual harassment or a violent situation, I would throw my handbag at him or scream, attack him ... then there must be some traces. If he had a gun, I would run away or at least try to ...

What are your thoughts?

1. I am assuming your are referring to the company (Ryland Homes) the 17 year-old victim worked for? If so, probably no blackmail involved. They are one of the largest builders in No. VA. I can't imagine how anyone could blackmail them.

2. Home builders are always in competition with each other. However Ryland was probably the only one building in that development. So, in all likelihood, there would have been no trouble with a competitor.

3. LE canvassed the neighborhood and talked with several neighbors concerning the murders, None heard any gunshots, screams, etc. The gunman may have simply ordered them on the floor and quickly shot them. They probably would not have had an opportunity to escape or even scream. Their bodies were found lying side by side on the floor.

4. Not sure how LE settled on one a perp theory, but a white male was seen leaving the scene. There was a description of him, his car and the shirt he was wearing. No other person appeared to be with him.

This is most probably a crime of "opportunity" or one which, although planned (as a robbery, rape, or single murder) went horribly bad when the two customer women walked in the door and interrupted his little scheme.

Karen was the most likely targeted victim.

LINKS:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...-murder/77389633-c29b-420c-aa30-471923c28d2c/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...orities/e16f36a3-0130-4d9d-839b-2e6175b4d0c9/

Unsolved Murders of Sharon Lake, Deborah Frank, and 17-year-old Karen Scarbrough, whose bodies were found inside a mobile sales office - The Criminal Journal

Last edited:
BBM...Do you have a particular suspect in mind? I am asking because you indicated an age range for the killer and said he still lives in the area. It makes me think you had someone in mind. Just curious.

I wish I had a concrete name. I got a name of Ms. Scarborough's ex-bf from high school, but I don't believe it is him. Michael Carl George is a name that pops up alot, but the crimes he was convicted of were against young boys-which doesn't fit the MO I'm tracking.

In some of the posts & articles I've sifted thru - LE had a strong suspect who was described as mid to late 20s, reddish/blonde hair, with description of his car/clothing. The description of the car doesn't help because I believe the perp switched cars pretty consistently. Facebook posts mention that LE believe they knew who was responsible, but did not have the evidence available to bring formal charges.

Does anybody remember a list of suspects from back then?

I wish I had a concrete name. I got a name of Ms. Scarborough's ex-bf from high school, but I don't believe it is him. Michael Carl George is a name that pops up alot, but the crimes he was convicted of were against young boys-which doesn't fit the MO I'm tracking.

In some of the posts & articles I've sifted thru - LE had a strong suspect who was described as mid to late 20s, reddish/blonde hair, with description of his car/clothing. The description of the car doesn't help because I believe the perp switched cars pretty consistently. Facebook posts mention that LE believe they knew who was responsible, but did not have the evidence available to bring formal charges.

Does anybody remember a list of suspects from back then?

BBM...I don't have any suspects, but I remember the Police and the Commonwealth's Attorney had different suspects. I don't recall the name of either suspect.

Attachments

• IMG_0897.jpeg
    IMG_0897.jpeg
    53 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0898.png
    IMG_0898.png
    128.1 KB · Views: 5
I recently discovered this case.. do we have any updates since 2020?
I am not aware of any developments in the case. I know ALB (see post #35) was looked at and authorities surmised he had other victims, but it appears there was no evidence linking him to this particular crime. As ted in post #34, the Commonwealth's Attorney and LE had different suspects.

I am not aware of any developments in the case. I know ALB (see post #35) was looked at and authorities surmised he had other victims, but it appears there was no evidence linking him to this particular crime. As ted in post #34, the Commonwealth's Attorney and LE had different suspects.
Thank you! Family members were recently talking about this case, and discovered her toddler in foster care died shortly after she did. I hope the case is solved one day.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back