Identified! VA - Shoosmith Landfill, WhtFem UP6642, 20-35, w/ Richmond trash, Aug'86 - Christy Lynn Floyd

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
34 years later: Remains found in landfill identified as Richmond woman Christy Lynn Floyd

(click on image to enlarge)

Chesterfield detectives worked with Parabon NanoLabs, a DNA technology company in Reston, to complete a “Snapshot” of what the woman may have looked like using DNA phenotyping. The “Snapshot” made predictions on the woman’s ancestry, eye color, hair color, skin color, freckling, and face shape, authorities said.

A tip from retired Richmond Police detective, Mark Williams, led Chesterfield Detective Chris Humphries to the Atkins family.

“He said you need to find this family, their last name is Atkins. They have a sister that went missing in the ’80s,” Humphries said.
---
“My sister didn’t deserve to be put in the garbage,” said Kim Atkins. “I asked God. God, please before I leave this world, just let me know what happened to her.”

According to Floyd’s family, she was sweet and loved music and dance. Floyd played on the basketball team at Lexington High School in Virginia. Floyd and her sister were also known to frequent The Fan area.

Atkins says she was heartbroken to learn what happened. According to Atkins, Floyd ran away with a boy the night before she disappeared. Floyd returned home the next day for 30 minutes. Atkins left the house to get food. When she returned, her sister was gone.

“When I came back my mom was asleep on the sofa. The back door was wide open. The alley door was wide open and I never saw her again,” Atkins added.

34 years later: Remains found in landfill identified as Richmond woman Christy Lynn Floyd | 8News

Now that she had been identified, I would like to know if the family has been asked about the medical examiner report that she had a hysterectomy. Knowing that she was only 16 years old, I find this to be very odd. Could the ME be mistaken? Thoughts?

34 years later: Remains found in landfill identified as Richmond woman Christy Lynn Floyd

This was not even a woman; this was a kid. I guess it's hard to pinpoint age when all that you have is a decomposing torso and a leg. What a horrible way to go. I hope we find out more about Christy and the time leading up to her demise.

Now that she had been identified, I would like to know if the family has been asked about the medical examiner report that she had a hysterectomy. Knowing that she was only 16 years old, I find this to be very odd. Could the ME be mistaken? Thoughts?

Been reading up on this thread. Initially I wondered, even at her young age, whether she had a hysterectomy because she was susceptible to uterine or ovarian cancer.

I knew a girl back in the 80s who had a full hysterectomy at the age of 20 because her mother took a synthetic form of estrogen during pregnancy called DES (diethylstilbestrol).

Another thing I read about is a combination abortion/hysterectomy that was used to terminate an unwanted pregnancy as well as follow the wishes of an individual who was not planning on having any children or had some underlying gynecologic pathology.

Abortion hysterectomy for gynecologic pathology - PubMed

Last edited:
The hysterectomy at a young age was likely related to the bone island. They are not usually cancerous but hers may have been.

Skeletal Findings : Post vaginal hysterectomy; bone island anomaly in right Iliac (hip/pelvic) bone.

Page Management

One of my girlfriends in grade 10, 15 years old, had chronic bronchitis. She was a frequent deep cougher and missed much school because of it.

That incessant coughing due to bronchitis caused her uterus to collapse (??) and she was in a great deal of discomfort and pain. She required a hysterectomy ... 15 years old.

The body was found less than 2 months after Christy disappeared and only 20 minutes away from where she was living (Shoosmith landfill is in Chester, Christy lived in Richmond).

How was the connection never made before by police? Was a police report never filed? Didn't anyone that knew Christy see news reports about a body being found? (Not dissing the family cause not everyone reads or watches the news, just trying to wrap my head around how this match was overlooked at the time).

The body was found less than 2 months after Christy disappeared and only 20 minutes away from where she was living (Shoosmith landfill is in Chester, Christy lived in Richmond).

How was the connection never made before by police? Was a police report never filed? Didn't anyone that knew Christy see news reports about a body being found? (Not dissing the family cause not everyone reads or watches the news, just trying to wrap my head around how this match was overlooked at the time).
See post #117 with the video. That will answer your questions. It is shocking the connection was never made.

I thought the same thing but it looks like he was just a friend of hers.

"They add that the male friend is neither a person of interest nor a suspect, but they would still like to get in touch with him to get a better sense of Floyd’s social circle at the time of her death".

Police identify remains found at Chesterfield landfill in 1986 as 16-year-old girl

This article states that they were actually dating at the time. What about the co-worker she ran off with according to her sister? Could it be him? Why did the other article say he was a friend? How did they rule him out already since he isn't concidered a suspect? So many questions! (Off topic but did anyone else notice a cat behind them in the photo? I just now noticed.)

"...he was dating Floyd at the time of the murder."

Police ID remains found in 1986 at Chester landfill

You can see the family members comments on this FB post.

Chesterfield County Police

Chesterfield Police have identified a woman whose remains were recovered at a landfill in Chesterfield County in 1986.
On Aug. 7, 1986, workers were unloading trash from the School Street transfer station in Richmond at a Chesterfield landfill when they noticed what appeared to be human remains. Chesterfield police responded, conducted an extensive search and recovered human remains, which were transported to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner (OCME) for analysis. The OCME determined her manner of death was homicide.
With the assistance of the OCME and the Virginia Department of Forensic Science, Chesterfield County Police worked to identify the woman. A portion of the remains was sent to DNA Labs International, which developed a DNA profile of the unknown victim. DNA Labs International is a private forensic laboratory in Deerfield Beach, Fla., that specializes in DNA extraction from old, degraded and challenging samples such as bones, fingernails and rootless hair shafts.
Last year, detectives in the department's Unsolved/Major Investigations Group sought the services of Parabon NanoLabs, a DNA technology company in Reston, Va., that specializes in DNA phenotyping, which is the process of predicting physical appearance and ancestry from unidentified DNA evidence, and genetic genealogy. Law enforcement agencies use the company’s Snapshot Advanced DNA Analysis Services (Snapshot) to narrow suspect lists and generate leads in criminal investigations.
Using a DNA sample extracted by DNA Labs International, Parabon produced Snapshot trait predictions for the unknown woman. Individual predictions were made for her ancestry, eye color, hair color, skin color, freckling, and face shape. By combining these attributes of appearance, a Snapshot composite was produced depicting what the unknown woman may have looked like at 25 years old and with an average body-mass index of 22.
Using data generated from that same DNA extract, Parabon submitted a genetic profile to a public genetic genealogy database for comparison in hopes of finding individuals who share significant amounts of DNA with the unknown subject. These genetic matches served as clues to inform traditional genealogy research: first, family trees of the matches were constructed back to the set of possible common ancestors using a variety of public records including public family trees, obituaries and newspaper archives, after which descendancy research was employed to enumerate the possible identities of the unknown subject. Other information, such as location, triangulation between matches, and ancestry and phenotype (trait) predictions, were used to narrow down the possibilities and a report containing Parabon’s findings and recommendations was presented to the agency.
The Chesterfield detectives then used traditional police work to continue the investigation and subsequently approached a purported family member of the victim who assisted investigators by voluntarily providing a DNA sample, which resulted in a close family match to the victim. Additional forensic testing by DNA Labs International confirmed the recovered remains are those of Christy Lynn Floyd, who was 16 years old and lived in the 2300 block of West Grace Street in Richmond at the time of her disappearance.
Investigators are releasing several pictures of Floyd, including a photo of Floyd with a male friend whose identity is unknown. Detectives are working to identify this male. Anyone with information regarding this investigation, including the identity of the unknown male, is urged to contact the Chesterfield County Unsolved/Major Investigations Group at 804-717-6024.

Last edited:
What amazes and deeply annoys me is that there is obviously somebody named the police wants (has IMO) to talk to (guy on the picture with her). This person, wanted for other crimes and still not caught, went of the Virginia wanted pages and is still not put on it again now. (as for yesterday when I looked).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nurse4home
Back