VA VA - The Colonial Parkway Murders, 1986-89

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was not aware till I listened to this that a Tabb HS and now former NFL RB dated Cassandra in high school and also attended the same party that night. Her sister claims that his family would not let him talk to the Hailey's about the party. And they managed to keep his name out of the media. Of course he was still in high school but he was 18 at the time of the murders so he really wasn't a minor.

I was not aware till I listened to this that a Tabb HS and now former NFL RB dated Cassandra in high school and also attended the same party that night. Her sister claims that his family would not let him talk to the Hailey's about the party. And they managed to keep his name out of the media. Of course he was still in high school but he was 18 at the time of the murders so he really wasn't a minor.
This is getting freaky for me. In a previous post I mentioned we took Colonial Parkway almost everyday. Seeing this article makes me remember, my mom was a single mom, worked 2 jobs. I had babysitters in the am, pm, all the time. Most went to Tabb, at this time!! We are still in contact with a few people from there at the time, and it was rural, smaller back then, and I'll see what conversations I can start. I wonder what I knew/ saw at the time...but being a very small child I wouldn't remember. But being so close to my former home- I feel I have to try. I'll see what I can find out!!

I don't think the football player/ex-boyfriend had anything to do with it. He apparently had a clean career in college and the pros. BUT what did he hear at the party? Also, this is 1988 and Cassandra is white and the football player is black. Hate crime?

Nothing new but nice to see the story in the media for the 35th anniversary with comments from (Richard) Keith Call's family

It does kind of make you wonder if someone at the party followed them after they left. Whomever, for whatever reason.

However, IIRC, Keith's driver side window was rolled down and his wallet w/ ID was out on the dash or console of his car when LE found it. That seemed to indicate he was last interacting with someone talking to him through the window and making him show his driver's license. IOW someone who was impersonating a law officer or who was one.

It does kind of make you wonder if someone at the party followed them after they left. Whomever, for whatever reason.

However, IIRC, Keith's driver side window was rolled down and his wallet w/ ID was out on the dash or console of his car when LE found it. That seemed to indicate he was last interacting with someone talking to him through the window and making him show his driver's license. IOW someone who was impersonating a law officer or who was one.
The theory of a person impersonating LE OR even an actual LE official is in more than just this case.

This is getting freaky for me. In a previous post I mentioned we took Colonial Parkway almost everyday. Seeing this article makes me remember, my mom was a single mom, worked 2 jobs. I had babysitters in the am, pm, all the time. Most went to Tabb, at this time!! We are still in contact with a few people from there at the time, and it was rural, smaller back then, and I'll see what conversations I can start. I wonder what I knew/ saw at the time...but being a very small child I wouldn't remember. But being so close to my former home- I feel I have to try. I'll see what I can find out!!
We can't mention the football player by name, but I'm fairly sure those you reach out to will remember him. He is probably the most famous athlete to come out of Tabb HS.

We can't mention the football player by name, but I'm fairly sure those you reach out to will remember him. He is probably the most famous athlete to come out of Tabb HS.
''Tabb High School - Wikipedia

Notable alumni[edit]​

I’ve listened to Part 1 and am now in the middle of Part 2. There’s a lot of information about Keith and Cassandra’s disappearance. It not exactly new information, but newly available to the public.

The investigation really was bungled by the NPS rangers at first, much to the frustration of the families. They thought the couple had gone swimming (?) and were voluntarily missing. The crime scene was compromised, people getting in the car, rummaging around. The park rangers removed the clothing, etc. from the car, took it the ranger’s office then returned and put it back in the car. They didn't notify the FBI, who had jurisdiction. Instead, the FBI heard about it on the radio and went there to see what was going on.

Keith's father had driven past his car earlier that morning, around 6:30 am. He stopped and saw there was nothing in the car, later learned clothing and keys were there. Didn't know for many years that it was because the rangers had removed the clothing, then put it back.

Keith's older brother had passed by earlier (around 3 am?) when coming home with a friend after a late Friday night of partying. He said there was a black or dark blue van of some kind that pulled out of the spot where Keith's car was parked. It sped away, then pulled a U-turn and drove back. At the time, Keith's brother wasn't aware it was his brother's car parked there. He said there was a dim light in his brother's car when he drove by. He later tried to tell the FBI agent about this suspicious sighting, but they ignored him.

Again, I'm looking at cold cases and I come across an episode of "On the Case with Paula Zahn", Season 26, Episode 3. They mention a new DNA tool called an M-Vac that can be used to find and extract DNA. I don't know how 'new' it is except that it was used to solve a case over 20 years old by using it on the crime scene evidence. I wonder if it could used on any of the evidence on these cases.

Again, I'm looking at cold cases and I come across an episode of "On the Case with Paula Zahn", Season 26, Episode 3. They mention a new DNA tool called an M-Vac that can be used to find and extract DNA. I don't know how 'new' it is except that it was used to solve a case over 20 years old by using it on the crime scene evidence. I wonder if it could used on any of the evidence on these cases.

It could, but the FBI claims they have a big backlog of cases and don't have time yet. That's according to Bill Thomas in his podcast. Because these bodies were discovered and may or may not have taken place in Colonial Parkway, its federal jurisdiction. Very frustrating. I don't know why the FBI seems to stonewall these investigations (JMO only). Bill has been very patient with them.

ETA: I'm also reading an article from today about the Zodiac Killer. It sounds like the FBI has been dragging its feet on testing DNA in that case, too. Not sure why.

Last edited:
It is pretty neat.
This link has a picture on what it looks like , and explains the method.

https://ryanforensicdna.com/mvac/

Kell1:

Excellent information. A law enforcement officer or an imposter may be in the mix in the Colonial Parkway Murders. It has been part of the FBI profile of the case since our sister Cathy and Beclky's Dowski's murder in October 1986, a year before the other murders.

And of course, we also have Liberty Security (later called Advance Security), who have direct ties to murdered employees Brain Pettinger and Laurie Ann Powell in 1988, as well as less direct connections to Colonial Parkway Murders victims Keith Call and Cassandra Hailey in 1988 as well as Robin Edwards and David Knobling in 1987. That is a lot of potential linkage; 4 separate incidents, 6 murders over a 3 year period. I am not aware of any links between Liberty/Advance Security and Cathy Thomas/Rebecca Dowski (1986) or Annamaria Phelps/Daniel Lauer (1989).

Thanks.

Bill Thomas
Hey,
I was wondering what connection Call/Hailey had to Liberty or R.L.?

I know of all the other's links to him but could not seem to find theirs.

Thanks

Hey,
I was wondering what connection Call/Hailey had to Liberty or R.L.?

I know of all the other's links to him but could not seem to find theirs.

Thanks
Cassandra Hailey's sister Teri Hailey had dated a cop named Steve Blackmon during the time they were both police officers. Blackmon, who later spent time in prison for manslaughter in South Carolina, was running buddies with Liberty Security owner Ron Little. Blackmon may have even working some moonlighting shifts for Liberty Security. There are reports of Little and Blackmon being into some very sketchy stuff.

We are not aware of any connections between Ron Little/Liberty Security and Richard "Keith Call.

Bill Thomas, Brother of Cathy Thomas, Colonial Parkway Murders

Colonial Parkway Victims​

Lovers Lane Victims

Top (L-R): Annamaria Phelps (18), Rebecca Dowski (21), Cassandra Lee Hailey (18), Cathy Thomas (27)
Bottom (L-R): Daniel Lauer (21), David Knobling (20), Richard Keith Call (20), Robin Edwards (14)

9 October 1986

Cathy Thomas, 27, and Rebecca Dowski, 21, had been dating for several months when they went out for food on Oct. 9, 1986. It was the last time they would be seen alive. Just three days later, they were found murdered inside Thomas’ 1980 Honda Civic. The car had been pushed down an embankment off the Colonial Parkway. Their throats had been viciously slashed and they had been strangled to death.

20 September 1987

David Knobling, 20, had taken Robin Edwards 14, out with his little brother and cousin during the day of 19 September 1987. He dropped Edwards off at her home, but later that night she snuck out to meet him. The next day, Knobling’s truck was found abandoned by the James River Bridge. The keys were still in the ignition, the door was open, and the windshield wipers were going. Three days later, their bodies washed up on the beach at Ragged Island Wildlife Refuge. They had both been shot in the head, execution-style.

April 1988

In April 1988, Richard “Keith” Call, 20, and Cassandra Hailey, 19, went on a date, going to a movie and attending a party. They were never seen again after that night. Call’s Toyota Celica was discovered at a York River overlook, just a few miles from where Thomas and Dowski had been murdered two years prior. Several clothing items were found in the vehicle, as were the car keys. Dogs traced their scents to the river, but soon lost it. They remain missing.

5 September 1989

Annamaria Phelps, 18, was dating the younger brother of Daniel Lauer, 21. The couple lived together in Virginia Beach. However, they were struggling financially, so Daniel Lauer had agreed to move in with them to help them out with money.
Lauer needed to go back home to get his belongings, and Phelps decided to accompany him for the drive to see her own family in their hometown. On their way back to Virginia Beach, on Sept. 5, 1989, Phelps and Lauer disappeared. Their car was found at an I-64 rest stop in New Kent County. Hunters discovered their remains in the nearby woods six weeks later, but their bodies were too decomposed by then to reveal how they both died.

LINK:

Last edited:
Cassandra Hailey's sister Teri Hailey had dated a cop named Steve Blackmon during the time they were both police officers. Blackmon, who later spent time in prison for manslaughter in South Carolina, was running buddies with Liberty Security owner Ron Little. Blackmon may have even working some moonlighting shifts for Liberty Security. There are reports of Little and Blackmon being into some very sketchy stuff.

We are not aware of any connections between Ron Little/Liberty Security and Richard "Keith Call.

Bill Thomas, Brother of Cathy Thomas, Colonial Parkway Murders

That is very interesting.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper