GUILTY VA - Tina Smith, 41, slain, 12yo daughter abducted, Salem, 2 Dec 2010 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, some sort of physical exam but not so sure a "GYN" exam if she refuses.

You're right and especially without a parent or legal guardian being there to ok it. Unless, her father gave them some sort of ok before they left.

I didn't word that well and I will pull the links, but I was trying to say they didn't wait a week. The rough outline of what I understood it to be was:

they didn't know he lived there
holiday brought that info out
met him first time on thanksgiving
totally geebed out
family compared notes on Friday
called tina on monday
still not comfortable after that call
started calling child services
took a couple of days of redirect
got the right facility number on thursday
told tina then they were calling her local cps office
this freaked tina out
she said he would be gone and would call when he packed up
brittany didn't go to school the next day
tina's posts about dying before she wakes and evil appear
and she is killed

Am I correct in reading your notes that they told Tina on Thursday Dec 2, 2010 that they were calling CPS?

I am aware of the numerous calls to various child abuse centers and different counties of CPS until they got the right agency. When did they call the right CPS agency; Thursday, Dec 2rd or Friday, Dec 3rd?

Thank you.

That is a great question Patty. I would imagine that they had trained counselors that deal in these types of situations. That would be able to ascertain if Brittany was truthful or not. Either way, I would imagine she got a physical exam of some sort.

I think you're 100% right re: a physical exam. Since they didn't know just how deeply JE had his claws into her psyche, it's very possible that even after his arrest, she would have still been protecting him (or herself from his threats) by claiming he hadn't touched her so just the circumstances alone would indicate that the probability of sexual contact was high. Those acting in loco parentis would have want her checked head to toe for her own protection. I imagine that they took her for a medical exam as soon as possible after they'd positively ID'd her.

I'm sure they would have done a drug/tox screen on her as well as a CBC. She'd been a week or longer with irregular meals, irregular fluids, and heaven knows what else.

Of course, pedophiles being the cowards that they are, JE might have used condoms and/or had her "wash inside and out" to prevent or destroy any evidence of sexual assault, his hope being that she'd never have the nerve to face him in court and make the allegations with little to no evidence. (I do so hate pedophiles.)

BTW...I have friends who are friends with Brittany's father. They say he's a "helluva nice/good guy who adores Brittany," I think he knows too that he and Brittany have their work cut out for them as he helps her heal. I believe he'll reach out to whomever is recommended as being a good trauma therapist. And I think he'll reach out to friends and family members too to provide Brittany as normal as an environment as possible. Love goes a long way....I think Brittany's family loves her deeply.

PS: I think they would have forced a GYN exam, even if they had had to sedate her. Rough-sounding, I know...but it would have been as much for her own health as for evidence-gathering. I'm sure they would have discussed this with her father if they themselves, as LE, couldn't authorize it automatically. A GYN exam as quickly as possible would certainly have been in her best physical interest...just too many diseases out there.

I find it REALLY strange that so many people are quick to call this cashier a liar... or say that he is only out for attention by talking to the media about what he seen going on between JE and Britney. First of all, none of us know what was really going on. Second of all, this cashier wasn't the one who murdered a mother of a young girl and took off with girl. So I think we all need to remember who the real monster in all of this is... JE. Not a cashier at a store.

I don't know about the laws there... but in Florida... if JE came in with Britney (who looks at least 16 to me) and he asks the cashier for two packs of cigarette's... one Malboro Red... one Malboro Light... By LAW the cashier would have to ID Britney. Same thing with beer. So, I can see Britney having a fake ID. Having a fake ID has nothing to do with anything that has happened the past week and a half... so, I will say that you will be surprised what 12-year-old's can do. You would be surprised at how easy it would be for any kid, who knows how to use the internet or simply knows the right people, to get a fake ID.

So try to lay off the cashier until we find out what is really going on? Again, for all we know, he could be telling the truth!

There are no dates of the phone calls in the article to CPS, all it said was days before Brittany went missing. I heard that CPS called back on Monday, Dec 6, 2010.

What I am also looking for is that the relatives told Tina they called CPS.

I recorded Nancy show as well as Prime News coverage of Brittany and it can be viewed here:
http://www.youtube.com/Sierra1947

http://www.gazettevirginian.com/ind...nues-for-missing-girl&catid=34:news&Itemid=54

The aunt, who was contacted by Headline News’ Nancy Grace for her Monday night program on the missing girl, explained several days after the Thanksgiving dinner she called her niece (Tina) in Salem to express her concerns.

“I called Tina, and she said ‘he’s leaving right away.’ I told her to call me when he left. After she said he was leaving, I thought things were ok,” the aunt continued.

Social Services contacted

The concerned relative said she attempted to report her concerns to Social Services in Halifax County because “she didn’t know where to start.”

She also dialed an 800 number for child abuse to provide information about her concerns.

“The lady said she would relay the information to Salem Social Services but told me it would be better if I called them directly. I called Salem Social Services and gave them this information Friday, but by that time it was too late,” she said.

The last time the aunt said she talked with Tina was the week after Thanksgiving on either Monday or Tuesday.

“She was to call me when he left, but she never called,” she reiterated.

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/article.cfm?ID=26475

Her grandmother, Liz Dyer of South Boston, said Tuesday that police have not given the family much information.
“We know she was beaten, and they’re doing an autopsy,” she said of her late daughter, Tina, The Gazette-Virginian reported.

I hope I did this right. It's my first post ever.

Transcript of Ms Shanley on Nancy Grace:
THERESA SHANLEY, NANCY GRACE VIEWER (via telephone): Thank you, Nancy.

GRACE: Ms. Shanley, what happened? Tell me when you first spotted the little girl.

SHANLEY: When I first went into the parking lot of the Safeway store, I thought to myself, Oh, great, panhandlers, and they bring a child with them. And it was a man and her -- and I guess Easley was the man, and her. So I got out of my car...

GRACE: Ms. Shanley -- go ahead. I was just going to ask you, what were they doing when you first saw them?

SHANLEY: He was just -- she was sitting down. He was just standing there. He was kind of moving around because it was cold and wet. It wasn`t raining, but it was real misty and dewy (ph) here. It was kind of cold. Not the cold they`d know back in Virginia, but it was cold for us here, San Francisco.

GRACE: Was she sitting on the ground, the sidewalk or a chair?

SHANLEY: No, she was sitting on -- there`s a little bit of a ledge, a cement ledge that she was sitting on.

GRACE: What did you do, Ms. Shanley?

SHANLEY: I was staring at her. And usually, I can read people`s faces pretty well. I couldn`t read hers. And I knew she was young. I didn`t realize it was 12, but from the look of her, she looked under 18, anyway. And the hair on my arms stood up, and I knew something was wrong, that the situation wasn`t right. She stared at me the whole time, walking (INAUDIBLE) she spotted me and I spotted her. We never took our eyes off each other. And the stare was -- it was -- I couldn`t read it, but when the hair on my arms stood up, I was like, OK, something is wrong here. The situation isn`t right. And she didn`t look anything like him, so I knew she wasn`t his kid.

So I went in and asked the clerk to call their local police department, which would be the Richmond station, and she did. She dialed it for me. And I spoke to them and said, you know, there`s a young girl out here with a white male from 25 to 35, and she looks to be between the ages of -- I think I said 15 to 18, but she`s young. And it doesn`t look right.

And last night, I`d seen a show on CNN, and there was a woman crying to -- her aunt, asking for him to bring her home for her mother`s funeral and for Christmas. And that was first time I had seen her face. And her brown eyes is what got me. So I said -- as I`m talking with the police officer, I says, I was watching CNN, Nancy Grace, I think it was your show. I just know it was CNN, and that it may be this child from Virginia.

And the cop even said, Virginia? And I said, yes, there was a murder in Virginia, and the man killed the woman and took the child, and this might be them. I wasn`t sure, but my intuition was telling me something`s not right here. And sure enough, it was her and him. My intuition was right.

GRACE: You know, Ms. Shanley, the way you tell that story about how you came around, and your eyes locked, and that little girl just looked at you and you looked at her the whole time, and how the hair went up on your arms and you just knew, something inside of you...

SHANLEY: I knew it was wrong.

GRACE: It was meant to be. This is the way it was meant to be. Do you know what a miracle you have been part of, Ms. Shanley? I mean, when people were saying, Oh, he won`t hurt the girl, he`s infatuated with her, he loves her -- no. He is the prime suspect in her mother`s murder. And if it weren`t for you, Ms. Shanley, she could be dead today. A 12-year-old girl could be dead today, Ms. Shanley.

GRACE: With us tonight is a hero that made a miracle happen. With me is Theresa Shanley out of California. She spotted this 12-year-old girl with a grown man who turns out to be a convict, the prime suspect in the little girl`s mother`s death, 41-year-old Tina. With me tonight, taking your calls, Theresa Shanley.

Ms. Shanley, we are being flooded with calls and e-mails, some of them are, God bless her. Thank God for that lady and her courage to call and report her suspicion. Thank God she kept her eyes open. Thank god for you, Theresa Shanley. Ms. Shanley is an angel and a hero. It goes on and on and on. So Ms. Shanley, you`re pretty much a hero in our book. After you called 911, did you stick around for them to come?

SHANLEY: Yes, I stayed. They asked me to stay and (INAUDIBLE) my cell phone handy. And she had rattled me so much that I thought my cell phone was in my car, so I had to go out again past her. And again, she stared at me. And when I get to my car, my cell phone ended up being in my back pocket, but I was so rattled by her that I, you know, didn`t even realize where my cell phone was. And then I walked back in again, and we locked eyes again. We never spoke. I just kept looking, staring at her, trying to get a read on her, and I couldn`t.

GRACE: You know, it`s almost as if this little girl is pleading to you to help her.

Interesting explanation re the FB name change (per the aunt):

When asked about information reported on the Nancy Grace program Monday night concerning Brittany’s name change on Facebook from Brittany Smith to Brittany Easley, the aunt said, “I can explain that. She and her friends would change their names to their best friends names.”

The aunt said prior to changing her last name on Facebook to Easley, she had changed it to Conner or some other name.

Her grandmother, Liz Dyer of South Boston, said Tuesday that police have not given the family much information.
“We know she was beaten, and they’re doing an autopsy,” she said of her late daughter, Tina, The Gazette-Virginian reported.

WELCOME!!! And yes, you did it right... :)

Interesting explanation re the FB name change (per the aunt):

I saw that explanation awhile back but the comments from Tina and Brittany about the name change being an issue and something she should have done doesn't support that explanation.

Of course Brittany never changed it back, or ended up doing it again, so it was not a battle Tina saw through to the end.

But the comments that were made by both of them indicate it wasn't just something that was standard operating procedure or brushed off.

I'm so behind on reading here today but wanted to let you all know, in case it hasn't been told here, that on our 11pm news tonight, the reporter said that Brittany will be home (VA) tonight and that Theresa's 7 yr old daughter made her a basket with candy and magazines for her plane ride home. Wasn't that sweet of her to do that.

my guess is regardless of what she said he did or didn't do, they would do a physical exam.

While a parent COULD possibly force their child to undergo an exam or rape exam..if the child was putting up so much of a fight that it would be deemed too traumatic. a parent can pass on it. I've seen parents do it when they have supporting evidence from a Dr. and psychologist and/or LMHC or LISW stating it would be traumatic. Usually with older kids 15,16 and up.

You did everything right! :D

Thank you for joining us!!! :woohoo:

While a parent COULD possibly force their child to undergo an exam or rape exam..if the child was putting up so much of a fight that it would be deemed too traumatic. a parent can pass on it. I've seen parents do it when they have supporting evidence from a Dr. and psychologist and/or LMHC or LISW stating it would be traumatic. Usually with older kids 15,16 and up.

Under the circumstances, I believe that they would have sedated her had she objected to a GYN exam. She might have been under some sedation anyway, given the turn of events...the reality of the whole ordeal had to have set in hard when police got involved. I'm not talking about anesthesia...although that's not out of the question...I'm thinking more on the line of a tranquilizer, probably by injection. Her health is too important to skip it. Evidence of rape/assault would have also been a high-level consideration but her physical health would have been paramount. I would like to believe that a city like San Francisco would be extremely sensitive to children and to sexual assault and have some very well-trained, highly empathetic medical people to conduct exams such as this.

Unless Brittany as a victim wants to see him prosecuted for sex crimes I have to imagine the state is going to focus on the murder charge, it is a death penalty state, they can add the kidnapping for aggravating circumstances along with the theft. Or if he agrees to plea guilty in exchange for living they can bundle all the charges.

But I cannot imagine they are going to pursue the sex charges and force her to testify about that unless she wants to pursue those charges. They have enough that he will never see the light of day or possibly die without putting her through that.

Now Jean Marie's case I think is going to hinge very heavily on her testimony and it will be interesting to see if she remains concerned about him or comes around to seeing that he was victimizing her.

It will be interesting. I would think they are going to charge him with everything they can, you name it, it's going on there. Generally they do this so that in case something goes south on one part, they've got the person on other charges or it can help with a plea. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member