MISTRIAL Vanderbilt Rape Trial - Brandon Vandenburg and Cory Batey

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
NewsChannel 5 PLUS ‏@NC5_PLUS · 3m3 minutes ago
Judge Watkins is back. He will now charge the jury. They'll likely begin deliberations after lunch break. #VandyTrial #NC5

Chris Bundgaard ‏@bundgaard2 · 1m1 minute ago
#vandytrial judge to read charge for jury--no one can come in our out of court says court officer "could be lengthy" @WKRN

Like that Thurman ended by standing up for the victim and calling her courageous. No matter what the jury decides at least she'll know someone stood up for her publically, in open court. I missed Fletcher Long's closing. Is there a way to play it back or is it only available to watch live? TIA.

I was wondering where Banks was as well. Batey kept saying this is "What I was told" and everything Batey said he was told came from Banks.
I know Banks and Mckensie will be on trial later, but I don't think that has been set yet.

I think Fletcher did a good job in closing.

I like both men that have been answering questions on the television station. Some of the callers are downright scary in their opinions but the two guys handle all professionally. Was Fletcher Vander's atty? He was good.

On a side note I really like Nick Beres covering this whole thing.

Caller right now saying "it's the 29 minutes that we didn't see".

Was Fletcher Vander's atty? He was good.

Was Fletcher Vander's atty? He was good.

Yes he is, and I wanted to really see his style at work.
Now he does have a few legal problems of his own, in fact, there is another attorney that I believe works with him, who is on suspension right now for a month or so and if I remember right they both will be involved in the defense of Jason Autry.

I've watched a lot of trials and never seen a judge read instructions this way. It's like he's speed reading. I know the instructions are sent back with the jury to read, but he shouldn't be reading them in such a nonchalant matter.

I hate all these audio blackouts. I propose our legal system calls alledged victims, AL, to stop these interruptions.

I hate all these audio blackouts. I propose our legal system calls alledged victims, AL, to stop these interruptions.

As much as they try, they did miss a few times, and her name is out there. The defense used her name every chance they got. Not once did they say "alleged Victim".

I've watched a lot of trials and never seen a judge read instructions this way. It's like he's speed reading. I know the instructions are sent back with the jury to read, but he shouldn't be reading them in such a nonchalant matter.

I think he is probably doing this, because yesterday both the defense and prosecution went through these during closing.

I think he is probably doing this, because yesterday both the defense and prosecution went through these during closing.

Yes, the attorneys did discuss some of the instructions, but that happens a lot in closings. Regardless, the judge reads the instructions slowly, with care. This is just weird to me.

Do you guys think we will have a verdict today? :waitasec:

I don't think so. They will have lunch, and then lots to go over. I'm thinking by tomorrow.

I don't think so. They will have lunch, and then lots to go over. I'm thinking by tomorrow.

I'm thinking you are probably right. I think that the case of Batey will be quick, but I think Vanderburg will be a whole different story, even tho, I think he is guiltier then sin.

Agree -- think it will be tomorrow at the earliest. I can imagine lots of disagreements among the jurors so maybe this won't go smoothly.

As much as they try, they did miss a few times, and her name is out there. The defense used her name every chance they got. Not once did they say "alleged Victim".

I heard her full name get past the monitors a few times and yeah the defense named her as many times as they could. If they had to refer to her as AL it would be better all around.

I can't even wrap my mind around all the different charges the judge rattled off. I think it would take a day just to go over them all .

A late afternoon verdict would not surprise me.

Hayley Mason ‏@WSMVHayleyMason 4m4 minutes ago
Watkins now explaining the deliberation process, expert witnesses and legal theories. Jury instruction nearing 1 hour

What concerns me about this case is comments of callers to Channel 5 News which is doing the live stream. I'm shocked at the thought process of many callers who don't recognize the acts committed as rape. You know, the "boys will be boys" mentality. This makes me wonder if some of the jurors may suffer from the same narrow-mindedness.

Does the judge have a hot date at the opera that starts in fifteen minutes, or what?

Chris Conte ‏@NC5_ChrisConte · 3m3 minutes ago
We have officially hit the one hour mark in the reading of jury charges @nc5 #vandytrial

Holy Smokes! I have never heard a judge read instructions so fast.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nat Dru
Back