MISTRIAL Vanderbilt Rape Trial - Brandon Vandenburg and Cory Batey

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I didn't think the jury would return this quickly due to the sheer number of charges. I am sorry for the victim, the families involved and even the young men who threw their lives away but Justice has been served.

Wonder if they will appeal?

How ironic IMO that the day and year to legally drink alcohol for C Batey which is 21 in TN was yesterday. So what he got for his 21st birthday was...convicted on all counts. I would hate to venture even a guess at how much the parents of these kids paid over this time for attorney fees and for BV's parents travel and accommodations for the trials for this tragic case. What a waste.

Does anyone know when the remaining defendants will be going to trial?

JMO's and Questions...

I didn't think the jury would return this quickly due to the sheer number of charges. I am sorry for the victim, the families involved and even the young men who threw their lives away but Justice has been served.

Wonder if they will appeal?

Yes, it is already in the works.

Somehow I missed that this was going on, but have read every page and cried when I read about the verdict even though I knew what it was, I am so thankful the jury could see the obvious wrong and brought it back so quickly so that they wouldn't have one more night of freedom.

If I were the parents of these boys, I would be writing an apology to this poor girl. I would say how truly sorry I am and that I somehow failed at parenting because there is no excuse for what was done to her.

I would like to think my parent know, even at my age now, it wouldn't matter how intoxicated I am, if I saw this going on I would stand up against it. Every parent should raise their child with the fear that just being around something and not doing anything to stop it is just as bad as being the main culprit. If this were my child I would have been sitting on the victims side to send a clear message to my child and that would be if you were even in the position to be around something like this going on and you did nothing to stop it, you are GUILTY of a wrong doing.(OT: my dh and I were discussing potential torture of gitmo victims and I said it actually doesn't bother me and he asked if it was our daughter there would I feel different, I said if our daughter was in the position of talking/working with terrorist I would hope that's where she was) I have no pity on ANYONE who hurts others, and am sick of the white glove treatment some of these people get, and how their parents support them. My child will be raised knowing my love of her will never end, but the support will stop if involved in something that hurts another person. There will be no attorney paid for, there will be no support in the courthouse. And I would be the biggest supporter of her being held responsible for her actions. I very rarely think I am absolutely right when it comes to anything parenting because all children are so different, but with this, I feel absolutely right and think all parents should raise their kids knowing that.

Bless this victim and I hope she is right that this can hopefully prevent something like this from happening. And I am so glad that this sends a message to college athletes, there is no culture, no amount of alcohol that can condone these type of actions. May she take a step towards resolution and healing.

BVs mom posted on her FB that he never touched her even though there is video/photos of it. I think she is kind of the deny until you die type, so I wouldn't count on any letter.

There are no videos or pictures of Vandenburg sexually assaulting the victim, just video of him carrying/dragging her in the dorm and into his room and other video showing him egging the others on. Witness testimony about his actions helped nail him.

There are no videos or pictures of Vandenburg sexually assaulting the victim, just video of him carrying/dragging her in the dorm and into his room and other video showing him egging the others on.

Incorrect.

Please point to the evidence and which witness. Where are the pictures or videos of him doing the sexual assault? He was filming the others and texting friends and sending videos out and 'directing' others at the scene, which made him just as guilty. Witness testimony described what all he was doing.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12236256/attorney-says-brandon-vandenburg-formerly-vanderbilt-commodores-innocent-rape

Prosecutors say Vandenburg brought an unconscious 21-year-old woman he had been seeing back to his dorm room after a night of drinking in 2013 and the assault occurred as he took pictures. Prosecutors say Vandenburg encouraged three of his teammates to have sex with the unconscious 21-year-old woman in June 2013 and didn't participate because he couldn't perform.

Defense attorneys say Vandenburg took "deplorable" photos but did not take part in the assault.

Earlier, one of the defense attorneys conceded that Vandenburg took "deplorable" photos, but shouldn't be convicted of rape because he didn't take part in it. "He took photographs that he never should have taken," Vandenburg attorney Fletcher Long said.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...erbilt-football-players-guilty-of-rape-012815

So I decided I wouldn't write what I'd been told by multiple people representing every angle of the case until the charges had been decided by a jury. The most egregious and explosive accusation against Batey has never been made public until now. Indeed, there has been a year-long court battle in the state over unsealing these investigative records. In the initial investigative report into the rape, which has still not been unsealed, Batey was accused of urinating on his white victim while saying, "That's for 300 years of slavery, *****."

Please point to the evidence and which witness. Where are the pictures or videos of him doing the sexual assault? He was filming the others and texting friends and sending videos out and 'directing' others at the scene, which made him just as guilty. Witness testimony described what all he was doing.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12236256/attorney-says-brandon-vandenburg-formerly-vanderbilt-commodores-innocent-rape

Prosecutors say Vandenburg brought an unconscious 21-year-old woman he had been seeing back to his dorm room after a night of drinking in 2013 and the assault occurred as he took pictures. Prosecutors say Vandenburg encouraged three of his teammates to have sex with the unconscious 21-year-old woman in June 2013 and didn't participate because he couldn't perform.

Defense attorneys say Vandenburg took "deplorable" photos but did not take part in the assault.

Earlier, one of the defense attorneys conceded that Vandenburg took "deplorable" photos, but shouldn't be convicted of rape because he didn't take part in it. "He took photographs that he never should have taken," Vandenburg attorney Fletcher Long said.

Just listened to it this morning, but I can't tell you exactly where Gish said it. I would say it is in the last 1 hour of this testimony:

http://courtchatter.tv/vanderbiltrapetrialday4.htm

After the verdict yesterday, these two probably crapped their pants. I hope they get the same punishment. :gavel:

2 more ex-Vanderbilt football players facing charges in rape case

Two of their teammates, Brandon Banks and Jaborian "Tip" McKenzie, were also allegedly in the dorm room when the rape and assault occurred in Gillette Hall in the early morning hours of June 23, 2013.

Both are charged with five counts of aggravated rape and two counts of aggravated sexual battery. A trial date has not been set.

Read more: http://www.wsmv.com/story/27963798/...ers-facing-charges-in-rape-case#ixzz3Q93JvYJL

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...erbilt-football-players-guilty-of-rape-012815

So I decided I wouldn't write what I'd been told by multiple people representing every angle of the case until the charges had been decided by a jury. The most egregious and explosive accusation against Batey has never been made public until now. Indeed, there has been a year-long court battle in the state over unsealing these investigative records. In the initial investigative report into the rape, which has still not been unsealed, Batey was accused of urinating on his white victim while saying, "That's for 300 years of slavery, *****."

And this was not allowed in court. If this was not part of the assault, then what is it?
Just think if it had been in reverse?
"Hands up, don't shoot" anyone?

The Lead Detectives held a news conference ( which I missed ) here are some of the tweets:

WZTV FOX 17 ‏@wztv_fox17 42m42 minutes ago
Det. Chad Gish: "Lady Justice prevailed."

WKRN ‏@WKRN 42m42 minutes ago
"She finally got her justice," Det. Jason Mayo said. He said he had to tell the victim she had been raped.

Detectives say they were the ones who had to tell victim she had been raped.

"We reassured her we were going to get her justice. From that moment all she wanted was justice," Det. Mayo said.

Det. Gish said it looked like the weight of the world was lifted from the victim after the verdict was read.

DETECTIVES: "She thanked us for what we were doing. Then broke down."

"She could not understand why it was so funny. Why they were laughing at her while they were raping her," Det. Mayo said.

WKRN ‏@WKRN 41m41 minutes ago
"Mind-boggling" is the word Det. Gish used to describe the case.

WKRN ‏@WKRN 40m40 minutes ago
Det. Mayo said the 1st thought after seeing images as, "Lord, please let this be a strong, strong person."

WZTV FOX 17 ‏@wztv_fox17 39m39 minutes ago
"We hope we never see that again." Det. Gish on video evidence.

WKRN ‏@WKRN 38m38 minutes ago
"People are not property. You don't get to abuse somebody, laugh @ them while rape is taking place. It's not fair." Det. Gish

WZTV FOX 17 ‏@wztv_fox17 38m38 minutes ago
DETECTIVES: "We hope this is the catalyst to stop sexual violence on campuses...helps victims report crimes."

WKRN ‏@WKRN 38m38 minutes ago
"I'm not going to describe those images again out of respect to the victim," Det. Gish said.
Det. Gish described the images as "horrific.
"She's the strong one in this case. She's our hero," Det. Gish said.

WZTV FOX 17 ‏@wztv_fox17 37m37 minutes ago
Det. Mayo: "I hope parents talk to their kids, talk to their sons and daughters" about sexual violence.

WKRN ‏@WKRN 35m35 minutes ago
Det. Mayo says he's investigated 100s of rapes in Nashville and never had video of the rape before the #vandytrial.

WKRN ‏@WKRN 35m35 minutes ago
"The humiliation factor was huge," Det. Gish said.

WZTV FOX 17 ‏@wztv_fox17 35m35 minutes ago
Det. Shreeve: "It literally turned our stomach." Ref: video evidence

WKRN ‏@WKRN 34m34 minutes ago
"I think the prayer was answered that she was the strong person we needed," Det. Gish said.

WKRN ‏@WKRN 34m34 minutes ago
Det. Mayo said there were attempts to "bully" the victim into not coming to court.

WKRN ‏@WKRN 33m33 minutes ago
“She ought to have a 'W' on her chest and a cape because she is Wonder Woman. She is a tough soul.” Det. Mayo said.

* On my own side note, This woman is my hero! I just can't image, to find out, someone you thought was a friend, let this go on. To wake up and not even realize this happened. Then when she is shown what happened, to finally let all that sink in, to realize that it did happen, and then to say Let's get them and never back down. She is my Hero!! *

Another thing, when I sat and thought about all the evidence..I think back to the testimony that they have Vanderburg on surveillance video putting a towel on the camera ( which fell off 17 mins later ) He was guilty right then. That was cover up in my opinion. He knew EXACTLY what was going to happen.

BVs mom posted on her FB that he never touched her even though there is video/photos of it. I think she is kind of the deny until you die type, so I wouldn't count on any letter.

Her posts on FB, IMO, are for her friends & relatives who have not & will not see the film of the horror of that night. I wonder how much of it she saw, if she was there for that part of it. She is a female; she must know how horrible, horrible that night must have been for the victim who was just this thing that was on the floor to do with what they wished. Just like a ride at a carnival. They did not look at her face, I am sure. And since there were other lusty guys all around, each one had to act like a big bull and strut his stuff. Laugh at her, urinate on her, disrespect her and womanhood in any way they saw fit. Surely these guys all have or had a mother and possibly a sister. Explain that to them, guys, explain it to them. Grrrrr.

No one in the gallery was able to see pictures or video though I bet they could hear the laughing. She can remain in blissful denial that her baby ever did this.
I believe most parents would and do feel similarly. Don't see too many parents or siblings of defendants who ever believe their family member could do harm to someone else, especially if it's the first time.

Just saw on the news that 20/20 will have a special on this trial tomorrow night 10/9 central.

I would love to see the mom's facebook if a link is available. She is for sure in denial. I sense that her son was a superstar in her eyes. Playing football at Vanderbilt. Entitled.

I'm so sick of spoiled entitled brats, thinking that they can get away with anything. He asked his attorney at the verdict, "What happened?". Why? Because they all continued to let him think he was special and did nothing wrong. :gavel: His dad shouted out.... He clearly thought.... his kid did nothing wrong. :rolleyes: GMAB Go take care of your twins that you let sit through the trial to see what their brother did. Tell them it was WRONG! :gavel:

And this was not allowed in court. If this was not part of the assault, then what is it?
Just think if it had been in reverse?
"Hands up, don't shoot" anyone?

What are you talking about? :waitasec: I don't understand this at all.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nat Dru
Back