Vatican calling for Boycott of Da Vinci Code

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Jeana (DP) said:
I'm sorry, but that Priest was HOT. There's just something about that guy, but YUMMY!!!! :blushing: :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Who played the priest? I can't remember.

(ETA: Gabriel Byrne. I thought so, but wasn't sure until I looked it up. He's never done it for me, but I know a lot of people like him.)

Nova said:
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Who played the priest? I can't remember.

Gabriel Byrne. I normally don't find him all that attractive. Maybe it was the "uniform." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

Jeana (DP) said:
Gabriel Byrne. I normally don't find him all that attractive. Maybe it was the "uniform." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

Are you coming out to us as a woman how likes men in dresses?

How very brave. You have my full support. :innocent:

Nova said:
Are you coming out to us as a woman how likes men in dresses?

How very brave. You have my full support. :innocent:

He wore pants during the movie, Nova, you goofball!!! LOL I am definately a SUCKER for a man in uniform though!!! ;) ;) ;) But, the right man in a dress wouldn't bother me too much. Very easy to remove. :blowkiss:

I love how so many people think Christians, or Catholics specifically, have never been persecuted in any major way. All those martyrs are just make believe, I suppose, and only special groups get to be persecuted. Bleck. In the end, the truth will win out, that's all that matters.

Jeana (DP) said:
Tolerance?? The Catholic church tolerant? :waitasec: :waitasec: :waitasec:
Yes, moreso than many of our Christan brethren these days.

I just dont understand the call for a boycott on a movie. It usually just gives it more press, sparks more interest and increases the box office. If the Church was concerned calling a boycott is kinda counter productive. Its like telling Catholics not to use birth control. I've yet to meet one that dosent.

ljwf22 said:
I like Tom Hanks, but agree that he's not who I pictured in the role. Even the book described the professor as a Harrison Ford-type. Tom Hanks is bankable though. Who would you cast?
I'm not sure lol, but not Hanks!
Maybe with all the publicity the movie is recieving they could have cast an unknown.
The movie was always going to do well, I don't think it needed Hanks to get people in.

Dark Knight said:
Yes, moreso than many of our Christan brethren these days.

DK, there's not much I can say about my feelings regarding the Catholic church that will do much good on an internet forum. Suffice it to say that I'm thankful more often than not that I'm not Catholic.

tybee204 said:
I just dont understand the call for a boycott on a movie. It usually just gives it more press, sparks more interest and increases the box office. If the Church was concerned calling a boycott is kinda counter productive. Its like telling Catholics not to use birth control. I've yet to meet one that dosent.

Couldn't agree more.

Jeana (DP) said:
DK, there's not much I can say about my feelings regarding the Catholic church that will do much good on an internet forum. Suffice it to say that I'm thankful more often than not that I'm not Catholic.
Then I am glad you are not, lol. I couldn't be happier since converting to it. :p

Dark Knight said:
I love how so many people think Christians, or Catholics specifically, have never been persecuted in any major way. All those martyrs are just make believe, I suppose, and only special groups get to be persecuted. Bleck. In the end, the truth will win out, that's all that matters.
The role of persecutor and persecutee rotate throughout history, different roles at different times and different places. Still doesn't make persecution any better, to know that the group that did it was once persecuted; any more than being persecuted is OK because sooner or later your group will be on the other side.

tybee204 said:
I've heard that many churches (Christian) are trying to use the movie as a good thing, figuring anything that makes people ask questions about faith is an opportunity to teach, a big movie opening provides a bunch of possible converts.

tybee204 said:
I just dont understand the call for a boycott on a movie. It usually just gives it more press, sparks more interest and increases the box office. If the Church was concerned calling a boycott is kinda counter productive.
A major movie offensive to Catholics is being released. The Vatican should say nothing?

Stating a position serves several purposes. First, it sends a message that if you take liberties with our valued beliefs, we will call you on it, and we will speak with our wallets. Second, it educates Catholics who may have only heard of the DaVinci Code, but are not aware of the ways in which it attacks Catholic doctrine, so that they may be careful to decide if this is a movie/book they truly wish to support. And third, it informs the general public that, contrary to what they may believe about the book, it is not as "factual" as it claims to be.

imho

Jeana (DP) said:
and I am thankful every day of my life that I am Catholic....

Dark Knight said:

DK, it must seem odd, but somehow Matthew Shepherd and the lynching of African-Americans are a bit closer to me in time and place than St. Stephen. (No, I don't think he was the last Christian martyr. Just an example.)

Nova said:
DK, it must seem odd, but somehow Matthew Shepherd and the lynching of African-Americans are a bit closer to me in time and place than St. Stephen. (No, I don't think he was the last Christian martyr. Just an example.)
Well, they did used to throw the Christians to the lions.....Post Traumatic Stress?

Details said:
The role of persecutor and persecutee rotate throughout history, different roles at different times and different places. Still doesn't make persecution any better, to know that the group that did it was once persecuted; any more than being persecuted is OK because sooner or later your group will be on the other side.

Wow! Beautifully put.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slim Summers
Back