Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh nooooo Jose Baez on after dark
REALY Donovan cannot communicate with her why? Is that why Donovan shut down twitter?

I don't know if this sentencing aspect has been clarified in this thread yet, but Beth Karas told KCL if death is not imposed, then Judge gets to decide LWOP or Life with Parole.

(snipped)
Originally Posted by katiecoolady 4-6-13

But I made the most of my time in the hallway with a pretty substantial little chat with Beth Karas about how things are gonna go down from here on out, the penalty phase, timing etc.

So, I'll share that.

Ok so now if that conviction comes in (which I believe it will 1st degreel), we go to the Aggravation Hearing.

The Agg. Hearing will decide one thing and is guided by Martinez. It's decided whether the crime meets the criteria for "cruel" as defined in the statute which qualifies it for the Death Penalty (again I think by now everyone knows where i stand here--I believe it does and believe it will qualify). I put the legal definition for "especially cruel" on the next page here.

THen the jury deliberates again on this and comes back with a decision: cruelty met or not.

If the criteria for cruelty has been met, then we go to the Mitigation phase. If it's not been met then there will be no mitigation and it's decided LIFE will be the sentence and it's handed to the Judge who then decides whether it's Life WITH or WITHOUT Parole.

I don't think this will occur though.

The Mitigation phase will last longer probably than the Aggravation Phase because witnesses will be called and the entire point of this phase is to try and save Jodi Arias' life (which I do not believe will be successful). I'm sure family will testify and others (ALV was purportedly slated for this which I seriously doubt will happen now). Jodi herself may make a statement , not for cross examination but just a statement which I suspect she will during this phase.

THen it goes back to the jury again to decide whether or not the aggravating circumstances outweigh the mitigating circumstances and will come back with a recommendation of LIFE or DEATH (which I believe the latter is secure imo).

Once that decision is reached and declared, the jury is discharged and it now goes to the Judge to impose sentence in 30-60 days and there will be another hearing where sentence will be imposed. The jury's finding of DEATH , if they do, will be binding, meaning the Judge can't go down. If it is LIFE, she decides LWOP or LWP. It's then when Victim Impact Statements will be read. And Jodi will find herself transferred to her new abode which imo will be on AZ Death Row.

HLN will cover the entire trial until the jury is discharged. It's unlikely they will be there for the final handing down of the sentence but surely local media will film it and cover it on a live feed.

I hope this helps! I found it extraordinarily instructive and many thanks to our wonderful Beth Karas who is so open and willing to share her vast knowledge!

Just thinking out loud here, but I wonder if the shouting and disagreement (between Jodi and her DT) that was overheard had to do with granting this interview? Knowing her history with the media, perhaps they weren't happy that she wanted to talk?

I heard another report that they set it up, but who knows what the truth is?

Had to quit listening to the radio show. I have first hand experience with BPD in our family. Nothing "happened" to cause this. The person in my family had it from Day 1.
The conversation about that was super frustrating to me.

I agree, and the "blame the family" stuff just came up again and i also disconnected. With BPD, if the subject doesn't acknowledge having a problem, which is common with BPD, they are not going to cooperate to get treatment! Why? Because they have BPD! I know this so well I could scream!!

If you so badly want the DP, then you know what Jodi? Don't appeal and just ask for an immediate execution.

I'll never forget this! My son was seriously dating a woman who was pretty, well spoken, even sociable. She wanted to him to be her forever!!!
Somehow I learned that she was pending a felony assault on a police officer. When my son asked her what happened, she explained the altercation as LE fault.
I told my son to run fast!
She tried to break a beer bottle across his skull, telling him death was near!
Fortunately, his friends were there.
He never saw her again!

I just wanted to share a simple story that might gave turned out awful!!! I'm a mother, who wArned my son! He knew I would not have, if I didn't love him!!!
But, with this particular woman in his life, I was the only person he listened to!!!
ALL of his friends warned him!!!
He thought they were all paranoid!!!!
Goes to the power of sex!!!
Fortunately, he believed the most in my love for his well being.
She is serving 25 (?) to life!!!
Ha! Lots of stories to tell! No spring chicken here!!!
I know the good from the bad!!!
Wish I could dispose of some!!!

JA's twitter page no longer exists it seems! :drumroll:

What are 40,000 twits going to do (eyeroll) the convict has been shut down.

I respect your opinion, but totally disagree and i truly think they would have and should have just went with a realistic defense of admitting what she had done was out of control behavior due to jealousy and rage and then claim she is very very sorry and I am willing to bet her outcome would have been XX number of years in prison, rather than the DP or LWOP.

So, IMO, not only was this defense totally outragious and contained needless destruction of the victim and his family, the end result of it was a heck of a lot worse than if they would have went with my approach.

People can show amazing forgiveness and compassion if they are not lied to over and over and over.

I couldn't agree with you more and I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I think that as much as we may despise the way that they sometimes go about it the Defense actually plays an important part in getting justice for the victim, both by ensuring that the wrong person isn't convicted and my mounting an unappealable defense for the accused. in this case, I think they were painted into a corner by a delusional, lying client who, I am sure dictated how this 'defense' would be mounted. With this defendant truth was never an option.

REALY Donovan cannot communicate with her why? Is that why Donovan shut down twitter?

well last i heard, Donovan was a convicted felon. so is jodi. felons can't communicate with other felons.

as far as people have said,donovan isn't allowed to communicate with convicted felons,and i dont think jodi is allowed to have a twitter now she is convicted. shame :rockon:

Lol, my uber liberal husband just shook his head in mock disdain and said "who is this blood thirsty woman beside me?! I hardly know you..lol." Lol, I told him that I will go back to my liberal roots wherein I am opposed to the death penalty 99.9% of the time AFTER JA is sentenced to death....until then, I am 100% on board...lol.

What happens tomorrow? Does the state present then the defense presents? Then a rebuttal? Or what? Lets get this show on the road!

I can't believe she gave an interview. Shaking my head right now.

tulessa if you are here, sending love your way :hug: :hug:

Jodi Arias says she prefers death penalty

BRIAN SKOLOFF, AP21 minutes ago

PHOENIX (AP) — Jodi Arias spent 18 days on the stand sharing intimate, emotional and oftentimes X-rated details of her life before a rapt television and online audience. She had hoped it all might convince a jury that she killed her one-time boyfriend in self-defense.

But the eight men and four women on the panel didn't buy it, convicting Arias of first-degree murder after only about 15 hours of deliberations. Jurors will return to court Thursday to begin the next phase of the trial that could set the stage for Arias receiving a death sentence.

It's a punishment that Arias herself says she wants, telling a TV station minutes after her conviction that she would "prefer to die sooner than later."

"Longevity runs in my family, and I don't want to spend the rest of my natural life in one place," a tearful Arias told Fox affiliate KSAZ. "I believe death is the ultimate freedom and I'd rather have my freedom as soon as I can get it"...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20130508/US-Boyfriend-Slaying/

Tulessa,

You broke my heart! I'm there with you. I know the pain. Justice for the victims.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaravpatel