Verdict is in! GUILTY of MURDER ONE - Hung Jury On Penalty Phase #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
With all due respect, nothing is known about this man except for a brief interview in the national media (nervous!) and a few snippets of his communications. And he's being diagnosed here as having a learning disability, leading to the conclusion he didn't read the jury instruction and mislead the jurors? That's so unfair.

He is not unfamiliar with speaking to media. My aunt lives in Phoenix.
I can't say more.

PHOENIX — The jury foreman in Jodi Arias' trial says the panel just couldn't decide whether the killing of her boyfriend was enough to merit a death a sentence.

William Zervakos tells The Associated Press jurors struggled with what they called a flawed system, explaining Arias wasn't "Jeffrey Dahmer or Charles Manson." They thought it was unfair that 12 average Americans who aren't lawyers had to make such a crucial decision.

The 69-year-old said Friday the entire panel believed the slaying was no doubt brutal. But he says they had to take into account Arias' lack of a criminal history or any previous violent behavior.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/24/arias-jury_n_3330897.html

Is this all from the same interview? Because this story is evolving....the system was flawed, she wasnt a serial killer, she didnt have previously violent behavior....well except for that tire slashing thing, but whatever. No prior criminal history.

In any case, 8 had no trouble with the same information he found to be a stumbling block.

My turn to step away. I dont think I want to give this man and his evolving story any more of my time and attention.

We have had on the boards several times the question of "what would you ask JA if you could?" All realize it would be fruitless, as she will just lie, but it doesn't stop the human nature of wishing you could ask it. At least one of the reporters on the "Night of a Thousand Interviews" asked her "what really happened that day in the bathroom?"
He didn't expect the truth, but human nature makes us want to ask.

He had a chance to ask anything he wanted! Remember the juror questions? If she wouldn't tell him the truth on the stand, what makes him think she'll tell him the truth in jail? :banghead:

I am sitting at home and the directions and understanding of the process was crystal clear to me. However there are some very concerning things the Foreman is saying and it's become pretty frustrating.

He doesn't think it's fair that the Jury decide this (you should have spoke up about that so you could be removed and those who understand their duty could step in.)

He didn't expect it be a mistrial if the jury couldn't agree on a penalty? (!? You thought she would get life, like you wanted? You didn't know the process your decision would cause? MOO)

He believes Jodi was mentally and emotionally abused by Travis Alexander and THEY had to take that into consideration (I worry about what he was enforcing to still talk for everyone when clearly not everyone believed her abuse crud.)

When you look at the crime, then look at the young woman sitting at the table it doesn't wash. (It doesn't wash? Her looks should NOT matter. The law and the directions provided matter. She indeed did and admitted to it, you have photos of her doing it and you even have photos of the after effect. You have the most evidence of one persom commiting a murder then I have ever seen in my life. It's inked in pretty thick, not a wash.)

I knew something was up when this guy put that they were hung on the verdict paperwork. It caused a huge problem. First the courts thought it was a question.. then it turned into a verdict and chaos insued. Then, when it was read off the poor woman was stumbling all over herself becuase the actual sentence made no sense becuase it wasn't a sentence. The foreman seems so into their final say being the FINAL say that he put it on the Verdict form. ??

MOO I don't feel like the one at the wheel should have even been. This was far too serious and important for the things he is saying. Besides that an alternate spoke, those removed spoke. 8 people stuck in that room, all got it. I hope more speak out though so maybe we can get a better grasp on what was going on in that room becuase at this point I am very concerned and pretty frustrated.

This is rational, thoughtful discussion about the man who was a foreman on a Death Penalty case, and I thank you. For a man who stated he had to keep emotion out of their decision in regard to the Alexanders, he appears to have struggled with this when it came to the defendant as EVIDENCED BY HIS OWN WORDS.

POST OF THE DAY

IDK about everyone else but I had to go for comfort food last night.. Fried Chicken!
After seeing interviews & TH's today.. I had to re-heat Fried Chicken with Hot Sauce on it LOL!!!

Ok.. Diet starts again Mo.. Oh heck Holiday Weekend so let's make it Tuesday ;)

Sistah, I think you nailed it. "The Power of Demonic Coochie". If that isn't the title for a Sunday sermon I never heard one - but you are RIGHT! I thought having all the men on the jury would be a good thing because I figured they would see right thru the abuse stuff - but apparently some didn't! I was worried about the women sympathizing with her! Obviously I was wrong - you have NAILED it!

So the foreman says they think it's "unfair that 12 average Americans who aren't lawyers had to make such a crucial decision."

HELLO.

That is what our jury system is all about. Is he freaking kidding me? They should have mentioned on their juror questionnaire that they had a "problem" with making such a crucial decision. What is he talking about??

This. If he'd just said he thought he could vote for death but couldn't do it when it came right down to it, or just that her lack of priors was enough of a mitigator, I would have been fine with it. But, this??? No joy here.

Does anyone else find it odd that the juror questions seemed to indicate that the jury "got it"? They understood that JA was lying.

Yet the jury foreman is conveying sentiments much different from what was implied through the jury questions. Hmmmmm.

:dunno: Maybe the dismissed jurors are the ones who asked all the questions we loved.

She at least seems to be telling the truth about that.

I'm confused who's staying with family in Arizona? ! I've been gone all day! Taking care of business! Going out to lunch and doing some shopping. It's hot here today, my brains fried! I had to,drive 30 miles to,pick something I ordered.so I'm not sure what I'm reading?

Do you get the feeling he was one of the 4 that hung the jury? I do, from his comments on GMA. At 1st I thought the 4 would have been the women, but I've reversed that, due to the one woman that mouthed, "I'm so sorry" to the Alexander family. Now I'm thinking it was 4 of the men that couldn't get past her looks and her little Miss Abused victim ACT.

If I recall, many of us worried about that when we learned the jury was made up of mostly men. :twocents:

P.S. To our men here on WS…you guys are smarter than the average bear! :blowkiss:

I think it 3-1, possibly 2-2. After listening to them saying yes it was their true verdict, and watching their body language getting on the bus afterwards. I believe three men and one woman but it could be 2-2 based on the "Im so sorry comment". I do believe Juror 9 was a DP juror.. I just felt he seemed the most upset walking away by himself. I would assume lifers would be the most okay with a hung jury.

And because of that, this is just my opinion and I'm no professional in body language, but my call for the lifers would be, the foreman, second man getting on the bus or the short woman with bangs in all black, the woman in white smiling and the older man in the darker blue shirt whose bald. They seemed the most relieved by their facial expressions to be done with deliberations and most comfortable.. The first juror to get on seems highly aggitated, so did Juror number 9. The other jurors don't seem as upset as a few of them, but they seem much more somber/irriated than those four.

Like I said, just my observation. Never been on a jury.. So that's based on what I would assume someone would feel as the minority vote..

http://www.azcentral.com/video/2405490606001#top

This article popped up while I was reading about Angela Simpson.
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2013/05/scottsdale_woman_makes_jodi_ar.php

While everyone's caught up in the hype of the Jodi Arias trial, we'll point out a quieter case that ended on Friday with a Scottsdale woman being sentenced to life in prison.

Shari Tobyne shot her husband of 35 years, Dwight, then chopped up his body, and left most of his remains scattered over three counties in the state.

Scottsdale police say Dwight was in the process of divorcing Shari in November 2009, and the day before Dwight was scheduled to move out of their home on Mountain View Road, Shari shot and killed him.

After she stored his body at home for a while, Shari dismembered Dwight and dropped off his remains in three counties -- Maricopa, Pinal, and La Paz.

Meanwhile, no one else knew that Dwight was dead. Shari used his phone and e-mail account to send messages to family and friends, and Dwight's daughter finally reported him missing in July 2010 -- months after all three sets of remains had been discovered by members of the public, and authorities were trying to identify who it was.

I can't help but think that if this murderer was young and attractive (and if there were pop rocks involved) the case would have been more publicised.

So the foreman says they think it's "unfair that 12 average Americans who aren't lawyers had to make such a crucial decision."

HELLO.

That is what our jury system is all about. Is he freaking kidding me? They should have mentioned on their juror questionnaire that they had a "problem" with making such a crucial decision. What is he talking about??

He should quit talking. It is upsetting to hear some of the stuff he is coming out with. For example (he said stuff worse than this) ...but when he said you have to take into account she had no prior criminal record. What??? I can see that being a factor if you are in court trying to beat a speeding ticket, but a brutal murder like this...imho that should be given zero weight.

I would love to see an interview with JA and JVM haha (jerry springer?) or JA and NC. Jodi would totally lose it with JVM and she just might shake like a chihuahua with NG.

Wow, fascinating! "You really think he was a snitch?" "'Oops' if he wasn't!"

As horrible as this is gonna sound... I laughed out loud what she said that! I do have a very twisted sense of humor and that cracked me up.
It's just so.....ridiculous to hear that. No normal human being would ever say such a thing.

IMO that's exactly how Jodi feels about murdering Travis. That cold, that detached. Jodi continually showed she was just as indifferent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He had a chance to ask anything he wanted! Remember the juror questions? If she wouldn't tell him the truth on the stand, what makes him think she'll tell him the truth in jail? :banghead:

Right...and reporter guy asked her asked her if she was ever going to tell the truth about what happened in the bathroom that day...Jodi looked at him with her shark eyes, said she DID tell the truth and called him a Hater.

wow. she is going to be a police officer....while she is in absolute support of her sister. mmmmkay.

Riiiiiiiight. She wants to be LE and is in absolute support of her sister who brutally murdered the brother of LE. That should smooth her way in.

It's the Power of Demonic Coochie.... Here is a post from way back in March: Sisstah Sleuth*Registered User*Join Date: Apr 2009Posts: 445.

Sistah, I think you nailed it. "The Power of Demonic Coochie". If that isn't the title for a Sunday sermon I never heard one - but you are RIGHT! I thought having all the men on the jury would be a good thing because I figured they would see right thru the abuse stuff - but apparently some didn't! I was worried about the women sympathizing with her! Obviously I was wrong - you have NAILED it!

He is not unfamiliar with speaking to media. My aunt lives in Phoenix.
I can't say more.

Why can't you say more? People are saying they're googling him, and that's not against the rules. Why can't more information be given? If that information is online and people know his name, can it be found?

Not that it matters, but the word "momentousness" used by the jury foreman apparently is a word. The reason I knew was that JVM used it a few days ago and I was yelling at the TV that is not EVEN a word! I looked it up, it is. I've never heard it in all my days and have to wonder.......:nevermind:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove