Verdict is in! GUILTY of MURDER ONE - Hung Jury On Penalty Phase

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
the part that lost me is that someone died in an uncovered cage without water?? 1:30

This is very, very sad.

"Ariz. inmate dies after hours in outdoor cell" 2009
Temperatures hit 103 degrees; criminal investigation under way

"Marcia Powell, who was serving a 27-month sentence for prostitution, was put in the uncovered chain-link cell at a state prison in Goodyear about 11 a.m. Tuesday."

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/30853721/.../t/ariz-inmate-dies-after-hours-outdoor-cell/

then in 2010

"No criminal charges in heat death of inmate"

"The department disciplined 16 people in connection with the incident, with five employees fired or forced to resign."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/12news/new...year-inmate-heat-death-brk.html#ixzz2UBdWGPhM

I saw the video on AZcentral of jurors getting on the bus. And even though I had read it in the courtroom watchers' descriptions, I was just struck by how many older people there were. Middle-aged and older. I only saw about 3 younger ones...the two guys in the back and the girl in the middle with the blue jeans on.

I really think age played a factor in this. Think about it...some of these jurors probably have kids Jodi's age. And they know how long life can be...they thought Jodi still has a long life ahead of her, even if it is in prison. I really really feel in my gut this played a big part in the death phase. Yes, it's true that that also means that Travis' death would strike them even harder b/c he was young...but for once I agree with the THs who said they might have formed some connection with Jodi after spending 5 months with her in the courtroom. So sad, makes me think was the defense trying to drag this out on purpose? was Nurmi talking so slowly on purpse? I now think it was done on purpose in the hopes of this "connection" with Jodi, even if she was lying the whole time. Guess lying doesn't mean anything anymore, even if it about a little thing like slaughtering another human being.

Looking at the jurors filing in on the buses, I kind of see why there were 4 holdouts. They've probably never in their whole lives encountered someone like CMJA before, so sweet and innocent-looking, yet evil. They just couldn't wrap their minds around that, I believe. I will be very interested in seeing who these holdouts were and what there ages were.

I do not believe at ALL that Arpaio will keep Jodi in "Closed Custody" for long. It is a move to hush the people who are incensed with his adoration of her. He is completely smitten by her and will do whatever he can to make her happy.

He is the one that Approved her Media Blitz - he is the one who allowed her special "additional food" that other Prisoners on Trial do not get. He is the one that approved of her NEVER HAVING to be seen in Prison garb by any camera, ever. He is the one who approved her wearing makeup. And he immediately approved any and all reqeusts for media Interviews. He even allowed them to carry on for hours until 12:30 AM

What a lousy excuse for a lawman.

I love Joe Arpaio!

Didnt they just say no more interviews zilch.

yes, but isn't that closing the choral gate after the horses escaped? Jodi's just as convicted now as 2 days ago when the interview flood happened.

I think she should have been locked down as soon as the conviction was read. It was just plain mean to the victim's Family and disrespectful to the system of Justice that Jodi got to do that media blitz.

Perhaps the Alexander clan ought to visit ASPC Perryville, specifically the Lumley unit where the baddest of the bad are housed. It might just give them the renewed energy they will need to face the monster one more time.

I came across this on youtube a couple of hours ago, narrated by (and written by?) Carl ToersBijins, a former deputy warden of New Mexico and Arizona Depts of Correction. Apologies if this is "old" news, but it's hard for me to keep up, as I'm sure it is for many others. The video is entitled "Jodi Arias Rose colored glasses - Revised and Narrated "

A brief video and reality check of the journey Jodi Arias is facing as the jury decides her fate ~ Whether she gets a death sentence or life without parole she is doomed for the draconic prison called Perryville where she will likely die as she becomes one of the walking dead in the Arizona desert.

It's not really video other than a photo or photos of her with talking points superimposed over the photo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJTBLd-72fg

It certainly made ME feel better about the possibility of her getting Life, with or without parole. I'm frustrated that she is STILL managing to drag this out and hurting so many people, but heartened by the fact that she WILL go to prison, one way or another, and it will be an utterly MISERABLE experience for her. No book clubs, no friends, no one asking for her input on ANYTHING, no leaving her cell most of the time; any recycling she does will be within the confines of her cell. She'll have nothing to look forward to. Ever. Whenever she DOES get out for an hour here and there, she will be taunted and threatened by other inmates (I doubt she's going to want to share her prized intelligence and teaching abilities with anyone). Her smug, superior attitude (and constant use of "big words" in order to impress people with how smart she is) will quickly garner enemies. Whatever life she has will be filled with desolation and fear. Good.

I don't normally wish harm on anyone, but what she has done before, during and since the brutal slaughter of Travis Alexander is so vicious, cruel and UNREPENTANT that I think she deserves whatever happens to her.

Will JA go to Perryville regardless of the eventual sentence?

Will JA go to Perryville regardless of the eventual sentence?

Yes, she will. And word is that even if she gets life she'll be in some sort of solitary confinement for years until she "earns" the right to be in the general population. Someone please correct me if I got it wrong!

Website of light company is down, too. May be doing some intense repair stuff since main office is in Oklahoma City.

I saw the video on AZcentral of jurors getting on the bus. And even though I had read it in the courtroom watchers' descriptions, I was just struck by how many older people there were. Middle-aged and older. I only saw about 3 younger ones...the two guys in the back and the girl in the middle with the blue jeans on.

I really think age played a factor in this. Think about it...some of these jurors probably have kids Jodi's age. And they know how long life can be...they thought Jodi still has a long life ahead of her, even if it is in prison. I really really feel in my gut this played a big part in the death phase. Yes, it's true that that also means that Travis' death would strike them even harder b/c he was young...but for once I agree with the THs who said they might have formed some connection with Jodi after spending 5 months with her in the courtroom. So sad, makes me think was the defense trying to drag this out on purpose? was Nurmi talking so slowly on purpse? I now think it was done on purpose in the hopes of this "connection" with Jodi, even if she was lying the whole time. Guess lying doesn't mean anything anymore, even if it about a little thing like slaughtering another human being.

Looking at the jurors filing in on the buses, I kind of see why there were 4 holdouts. They've probably never in their whole lives encountered someone like CMJA before, so sweet and innocent-looking, yet evil. They just couldn't wrap their minds around that, I believe. I will be very interested in seeing who these holdouts were and what there ages were.

Could be, but my husband and I are older and we knew that she deserved the DP.

Juan can be all the bull dog he wants! It's for a good cause! He's fighting for justice for Travis! He has to be the best prosecutor! His passion and compassion are awesome. Juan rocks! Justice will prevail.

On that note I'm off to bed!

That's great for you to believe in him but your should consider for everyone like you, there are others out there who don't think his style is good as is their right...

I do not believe at ALL that Arpaio will keep Jodi in "Closed Custody" for long. It is a move to hush the people who are incensed with his adoration of her. He is completely smitten by her and will do whatever he can to make her happy.

He is the one that Approved her Media Blitz - he is the one who allowed her special "additional food" that other Prisoners on Trial do not get. He is the one that approved of her NEVER HAVING to be seen in Prison garb by any camera, ever. He is the one who approved her wearing makeup. And he immediately approved any and all reqeusts for media Interviews. He even allowed them to carry on for hours until 12:30 AM

What a lousy excuse for a lawman.

She had First Amendment rights. Special food: if you're referring to the commissary where anyone jailed can get if there's money in their account. There are many strange people out there who have contributed to this. He didn't approve her makeup, the media brought it in for her.

I'm not saying I agree with all this, but he's been following the rules. We may not like it, but that's the way the system works. If you want to point the blame, it belongs with Jodi Arias.

Yes, she will. And word is that even if she gets life she'll be in some sort of solitary confinement for years until she "earns" the right to be in the general population. Someone please correct me if I got it wrong!

Not in Jodi World. She'll be having tea and crumpets catered to her book club.

:floorlaugh:

That's great for you to believe in him but your should consider for everyone like you, there are others out there who don't think his style is good as is their right...

That's like.. their opinion, man.
His style gets the job done. If he was the prosecutor for which my family was the victim, this is the style I would want.

OMG...today's decision had NOTHING to do with how JM did his job, tho I'm not surprised the "Juan-haters" wasted no time stating their "I told you so's".
Geez, couldn't it have waited a day or two FGS?!
Don't forget...this is still a victim friendly forum and Travis is the victim, not JACK! She is the convicted MURDERER. :behindbar

ETA: JACK never acted like she was being bullied by JM...I never saw her shake like a Chihuahua. She actually loved every second of being cross-examined by Juan. She's THE most conniving, manipulative, selfish, disrespectful, and arrogant lying bich I've EVER seen...worse than my sister and that's pretty bad.

Hi All,

Like most, I believe that justice was not served in the penalty phase of this trial. My heart breaks for Travis and his family! At least there was a capital murder conviction and JA will (hopefully) NEVER be free! There's always that shocking thought of an appellate court overturning the verdict on reversible error or some other horror and it makes me sick and sad to think that could happen, which is why for so many reasons, at least in my view, death for JA was the only true justice in this case!

I wanted to ask, what do you think the breakdown was? I think it was probably AT LEAST ten jurors for death and two hold outs for life imprisonment. I could see I guess some reasons why a juror might opt for life over death, but the only things I could think of would be the following:

--The jurors brought the defense BS of trying to humanize Jodi.

--The hold out juror(s) if indeed there were at most only two voting for life, maybe they had a religious background or knew someone religious and thought that maybe "Yes, Jodie is guilty of murdering TA, but I can't sentence her to death, because that would be wrong too and two wrongs don't make a right."

--Maybe in some strange way, the hold-outs think prison would help Jodi see the error of her ways over many years. (I don't believe this of course, JA will NEVER chance. She will also be a murdering, self-centered, egotistical, manipulative litte "You Know What.")

--Maybe the hold-outs thought death was too good for her, and she would suffer MORE by being in prison for life. Now that last statement I think could be an interesting and intelligent reason for a hold-out, and it could mean several hold-outs more than ten to two.

What do you think?

Satch

Bullying (picking on someone weaker) that lies and bullying (not only allowed by this court but others for 20 ish years) to put away a woman who stabbed a naked man, shot him and slit his throat while he was in his bathroom, a very private place for most of us, at the same time calling him a pedo with zero proof...who is really the bully here? Maybe the one trashing a man who can't defend himself and not the one trying to seek justice. Idk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReyes