**Verdict Watch** 3-2-2012; deliberations started at 1016am

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
the foreperson is a white female..appears to be late 20's.

Wow. That's young.

When I served on a jury a dozen years ago, it was a murder trial with the DP on the table. When we got the case, the first thing someone said was how do we want to go about choosing a foreperson? A young woman jumped in and said, "I'll do it."

She wasn't someone we would've voted for, but being Southern we just politely said, "Okay."

When deliberations started she had no control over the process. There were a few people who just took charge and got us through it.

I'm not saying that is the case here, but that's the way it happened during my experience. I'm quite sure there were a few people wondering in our case how in the world she got chosen.

So the note that JY put in the casket was the "Bushel and a peck" song? If so that freaks me out a bit considering the next line is "and a hug around the neck"...

So the note that JY put in the casket was the "Bushel and a peck" song? If so that freaks me out a bit considering the next line is "and a hug around the neck"...

And isn't there a line about "beats me all to heck?". I remember someone said that song describes the murder: bet your pretty neck, beats me all to heck...

And isn't there a line about "beats me all to heck?". I remember someone said that song describes the murder: bet your pretty neck, beats me all to heck...

Don't remember that line. I used to sing it to my children. Bet your pretty neck I do. And you just keep repeating that line. Or at least that is how I sung it. jmo

I love you
a bushel and a peck
bushel and peck
and a hug around the neck
hug around the neck
and a barrel and a heap
barrel and a heap and i'm talking in my sleep
about you...

(As sung to Ynot by her gramma and momma, and only FWIW. There are probably many variations on this song by region.)

my mom and I still sing bushel n a peck song to one another.. it is our "special song"....

(I am also named after a song called: "her name is mary, claire, melvina, rebecca, jane"... I thank all things holy that my mother did not pick "melvina" :)

I love you, a bushel and a peck!
A bushel and a peck, and a hug around the neck!
A hug around the neck, and a barrel and a heap
A barrel and a heap, and I'm talkin' in my sleep.
About you.
About you!
About you!
My heart is leapin'!
I'm having trouble sleepin'!
'Cause I love you, a bushel and a peck
You bet your pretty neck I do!
Doodle, oodle, oodle.
Doodle, oodle, oodle.
Doodle oodle oodle oo.
I love you, a bushel and a peck
A bushel and a peck, go and beats me all to heck!
Beats me all to heck how I'll ever tend the farm
Ever tend the farm when I want to keep my
Arms - about you -
About you!
About you!
The cows and chickens
are goin' to the dickens!
'Cause I love you a bushel and a peck
You bet your pretty neck I do -

Doodle oodle oodle
Doodle oodle oodle
Doodle oodle oodle, oo!

Good-bye now!
(they repeat the "doodles" as they exit)

I could not vote guilty based on the case presented. I would be troubled by it for the rest of my life...

No snarkiness intended. Just an observation.

I would have to vote guilty based on the case presented or I would be troubled by it for the rest of my life.

I'm from the Northeast and I've never heard of this bushel and peck song? :dunno:

No snarkiness intended. Just an observation.

I would have to vote guilty based on the case presented or I would be troubled by it for the rest of my life.

Two strongly opposing viewpoints on here. That's why I keep thinking...there is a chance it could be exactly the same in the jury room.....and they may not be able to come out with a G or NG.

My thinking is the same as fromage's on this one.

I love you, a bushel and a peck!
A bushel and a peck, and a hug around the neck!
A hug around the neck, and a barrel and a heap
A barrel and a heap, and I'm talkin' in my sleep.
About you.
About you!
About you!
My heart is leapin'!
I'm having trouble sleepin'!
'Cause I love you, a bushel and a peck
You bet your pretty neck I do!
Doodle, oodle, oodle.
Doodle, oodle, oodle.
Doodle oodle oodle oo.
I love you, a bushel and a peck
A bushel and a peck, go and beats me all to heck!
Beats me all to heck how I'll ever tend the farm
Ever tend the farm when I want to keep my
Arms - about you -
About you!
About you!
The cows and chickens
are goin' to the dickens!
'Cause I love you a bushel and a peck
You bet your pretty neck I do -

Doodle oodle oodle
Doodle oodle oodle
Doodle oodle oodle, oo!
[/B]
Good-bye now!
(they repeat the "doodles" as they exit)

Never heard that chorus. Love it. Are you from the South. lol

Beth Karas is talking now on HLN. She seems kind of upset that the jury has gone home. I have kind of mixed feelings about this. Seems they are taking their job pretty lightly. What do you think? I think it may take a while for them to make a decision or maybe they have already made up their minds.

I don't think it means the jury is taking it lightly. I think it means they all have outside lives and they can't let themselves be pushed into doing this for longer periods of time per day. If we push them too hard, and keep them after hours, they will resent it, and rush to make a decision to they can just be done. Letting them set the pace means no one is forced into a corner, and they aren't deliberating under the veil of exhaustion either. I wouldn't read into it one way or another, as far as how long it will take them. They may already know, and want the night to sleep on it. Or they make be miles away from a decision and don't want to over exert so early on.

This is the good old South, where everything we do here is calm and relaxed, to a certain extent. Judge Stephens made the mistake of rushing the trial last time (thought arguably not the verdict), but he's been careful to avoid that this time around.

When JY's sister, Heather, testified, she said that she had gone on one of the visits with him to see CY while he was out on bond. She said that CY just lit up when she was around her father and played all over him.

This impressed me because it means that MF and LF obviously have not brought CY up in an environment of bitterness and hate, and that they have left her out of this whole sordid mess.

There are not many people in the world who have gone through what they have and still exhibit the character and selflessness that they have to put CY first and not disparage JY in front of her. They deserve the upmost respect for actually putting CY's needs above their own.

I don't think it means the jury is taking it lightly. I think it means they all have outside lives and they can't let themselves be pushed into doing this for longer periods of time per day. If we push them too hard, and keep them after hours, they will resent it, and rush to make a decision to they can just be done. Letting them set the pace means no one is forced into a corner, and they aren't deliberating under the veil of exhaustion either. I wouldn't read into it one way or another, as far as how long it will take them. They may already know, and want the night to sleep on it. Or they make be miles away from a decision and don't want to over exert so early on.

This is the good old South, where everything we do here is calm and relaxed, to a certain extent. Judge Stephens made the mistake of rushing the trial last time (thought arguably not the verdict), but he's been careful to avoid that this time around.

I was wondering whether they reviewed some evidence and maybe decided to all go away for the weekend and list their 5 main questions or issues, so they can review them with each other on Monday, like homework.

Are they allowed to *think* over the weekend? Or does the law preclude them from doing anything without the others there in the jury room?

I was wondering whether they reviewed some evidence and maybe decided to all go away for the weekend and list their 5 main questions or issues, so they can review them with each other on Monday, like homework.

Are they allowed to *think* over the weekend? Or does the law preclude them from doing anything without the others there in the jury room?

According to Beth Karas, they didn't ask for any evidence.

Beth Karas InSession

Still no word from the jury. If there's no verdict in the next hour, we'll all be back next week. The fact that jurors haven't asked for one piece of evidence may mean that there aren't any real disputes about those items in evidence. The dispute is how to interpret the evidence.
http://www.facebook.com/beth.karas?ref=ts#!/BethKarasInsession

They are not allowed to "deliberate". Which I take to mean, no notes, no reviewing evidence, definitely no research or talking. But, they are human, so they will of course think on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BOTTERB