verdict watch 5/8/2013 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BeachgirlfromPA - Thank you so much for sharing your lovely stories about your friend and your Mom. I laughed with you about your Mom.

I love BK

once again the voice of reason...

Despite any muddying of waters by the defense, BK said that the jury would still have to REJECT a lot of premeditation behaviors.

Hair
Gas
Phone
License plate
(she mentioned a bunch of other stuff as well)

If you look at it in that regard, darn I feel better :rockon:

I like that thought process - someone in there only needs to say you know guys, it's one thing that perhaps the DT threw a couple of what if's but we as intelligent people would have to REJECT every stinking premeditate theory or factor that JM gave us and there are just way too many he gave us.

Originally Posted by elementary
Amazing that the jurors changed to 10AM. Why? Why not get it over with as soon as possible?

I think there is a holdout. This does not bode well, IMO, for the penalty phase. She is not going to get death. IF there is Murder 1.

I want to be totally wrong.

I think it's time to introduce professional jurors.

One of them got diet coke yesterday. I think it's a secret sign that there's a holdout.

Lets calm down everyone. I just got home from the beach. It's a beautiful day for justice in progress so lets hope for the best. They've only been deliberating for like 13 hours.

Me and my BF has our own beds. One reason, is I am a shift worker (all hours/all days (on call)). He works M-F; 8-4. He needs his sleep and I like to stay up on my macbook and WS. :rocker:

We still give each other massages and hang out as a besties. :luv:

Cute story about my folks who were married for 52 years before mom passed. My dad has COPD and the noise from his treatments/machine kept my mom up, so she set up the guest room as her own. But every morning, dad would get up, make coffee, grab the paper, and they would settle into moms bed together. It was the sweetest thing.

DH and I are going on 16 years (this August), and while we sleep in the same bed, he's a snorer and I'm an insomniac (yes, you'll find me here at 2 AM). I figure once DS leaves for college in a couple of years, his room will soon become my room...just like mom :)

MOO

Mel

The Lord has made Himself known: He works judgment; the wicked man is snared by his own devices. (Psalm 9)

A couple of folks here asked me to post this frequently, so that's why I'm doing it. I take comfort in reading the Psalms and have been reading them daily since the jury began deliberations.

Hoping and praying for justice for Travis' family :please:

Where two or three are gathered agreeing on one thing there am I in the midst.

JMO but as far as why the knife and the gun I believe the knife was important. It was up close and personal. She could look into his eyes and see the pain and suffering she perceived Travis inflicted upon her thru rejection. Perhaps the gun was back up to gain control if she didn't get control quickly. The shot to the head was just her last piece of satisfaction. As to the speculation on why her other Boyfriends escaped her wrath I believe it was due to the fact they were going nowhere in life. She left them. They were just a filler until she latched on to somebody else. Nobody rejects Jodi. IMO

MC Superior Court ‏@courtpio 2h

The new hours for the jury in #JodiArias will be 10:00 am to 4:30 pm.

Absolutely, at bare minimum there needs to be a threshold for critical thinking and comprehension. What's the point of spending millions of dollars and having highly educated professionals present something to a bunch of dullards?

Agreed, this is why I'm all for the idea of professional jurors. We not only need a jury of our peers, but a jury of people who have critical thinking skills and common sense, not everyone does. No better example then the Pinellas 12. And why on earth do we want people to serve on juries who have NO reported interest in the world around them? No one who doesn't read the news, watch the news, or even browse the internet regularly? No thanks, I want someone on a jury who can see beyond their own nose.

I think it's a feasible solution, but more than likely lawyers would have a problem with it.

Wild About Trial ‏@WildAboutTrial 18m
The juror "Captain O'Neil" just came in with red tee and flip flops. He was with two other jurors. They were smiling. #JodiArias

Good sign. Let em keep coming in dressed down. If there's a verdict today, it'll be M1. They won't be discharged to speak to the media if that's the case - as the punishment phase would then commence.

Wild About Trial ‏@WildAboutTrial 1m
Juan Martinez just came out of juror room and is headed downstairs. He was in gray suit, couldnt see tie but I assume salmon. #JodiArias

What's he doing in there? Taking lunch orders or answering questions?

Thanks to you, git, MA,and all the other wonderful Legal Eagles, but isn't this premature?

No, both sides have been preparing for and filing motions about the sentencing phase "just in case."

I completely agree that she may not have come in to Travis's house until the afternoon when she knew he was alone. The simple fact that jodi says she got there at 4am and the fact that her defense is now using it as a "she wouldn't have waited to kill him" makes me believe its another lie!
I really hope the jury believes the prosecution's overall theory about the events of the case--that she arrived unannounced at 4:00 AM-ish (after having "scoped out" the lay of the land at his house, would the housemates be home, what his plans were that night/next day, during their phone conversations on June 3) or as JM conceded, that she had somehow convinced him to let her stop by and he was waiting up for her. Arriving in the wee hours of the morning, in the cover of darkness when everyone else was asleep makes more sense to me than showing up in the daytime, whether the roommates were home or not and removing the second license plate from the car in broad daylight. JMO.

FWIW, info from a quick search on Arizona law and victim impact statements:

http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Crime_Victims/victimRights/

Crime Victims’ Bill of Rights

ARIZONA CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS FOR CRIME VICTIMS
ARTICLE II, SECTION 2.1, VICTIMS’ BILL OF RIGHTS

A. To preserve and protect victims' rights to justice and due process, a victim of crime has a right:

1. To be treated with fairness, respect and dignity, and to be free from intimidation, harassment or abuse, throughout the criminal justice process.
2. To be informed, upon request, when the accused or convicted person is released from custody or has escaped.
3. To be present at and, upon request, to be informed of all criminal proceedings when the defendant has the right to be present.
4. To be heard at any proceeding involving a post-arrest release decision, a negotiated plea and sentencing.
5. To refuse an interview, deposition or other discovery request by the defendant, the defendant's attorney, or other person acting on behalf of the defendant.
6. To confer with the prosecution, after the crime against the victim has been charged, before trial or before any disposition of the case and to be informed of the disposition.
7. To read pre sentence reports relating to the crime against the victim when they are available to the defendant.
8. To receive prompt restitution from the person or persons convicted of the criminal conduct that caused the victim's loss or injury.
9. To be heard at any proceeding when any post-conviction release from confinement is being considered.
10. To a speedy trial or disposition and prompt and final conclusion of the case after the conviction and sentence.
11. To have all rules governing criminal procedure and the admissibility of evidence in all criminal proceedings protect victims' rights and to have these rules be subject to amendment or repeal by the legislature to ensure the protection of these rights.
12. To be informed of victims' constitutional rights.

I"ll have to do more research with respect to the motion to disclose victims impact statement. Don't know if the BBM above applies.

Thank you!!! Why am I not surprised that the DT has no clue about this law??

Why is HLN promoting JA's tweets like they have an endorsement deal with her?

In that little rotating "news box" it says "Read about JA's men" and "Read JA's tweets!"

I'm sure the killer appreciates the promotion though...

Just proves how desperate HLN is to keep people watching.

The process of voir dire gives both sides a chance to figure out who the "dullards" are. That's the jury screening process and it all takes place in the open, like it should.

You know there are a lot of seemingly bright people on this board who for some reason cannot grasp the concept of time zones and googling to find a link to live streaming. I'm sure they could easily pass any test you throw down. I know I would not want a one of them on a jury hearing my case.

Do your best in voir dire and you get what you get.

I'm not thrilled with the caliber of people on a lot of juries, but pre-testing is just wrong, IMO.

BBM: Oh, my....LOL

ETA: I resemble that remark about the link to streaming...

I really don't think you meant that remark to be insulting, but it kind of is.

JMO.

Bringing this over, Everybody. We continue to have problems which we are working on (madly, I might add). In the meantime, here is how you can help:

Done - thanks Salem!

Geez, the deliberation clock is not ticking on HLN. What's up with that? It's 1:18

why would coming in an hour later indicate a holdout? maybe the traffic sucks at 9 am and they decided 10 was better. maybe it's a problem for one juror who has morning obligations. who knows? but i don't see it as a 'sign' of where they are.

Those were separate unrelated paragraphs and thoughts.

The time change shows me people who are not eager to get this done. The holdout thought is because the premed is obvious. A case doesn't get any better than this.

With the new jury hours I do not think we will have a decision today....I am now looking at Friday

I am looking at never. This jury does not seem decisive at all. Primary example is they asked Dr. Samuels and ALV hundreds of questions when they had already seen Jodi in front of their faces lie to them about everything. You could not look at her and hear her and not know she was lying. So what's the point of asking all these questions of Samuels and ALV, when it was obvious they were just making up testimony to fit in to Jodi's lies? I always thought it was so strange that they kept asking so many questions after Jodi's testimony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214