VERDICT WATCH - Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Retrial Day 43, Part 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you are basically right but it is rather complex really because the judge will first have to "schedule" her sentencing. So I'm guessing JSS will schedule it a month if not more later.

I really hope she doesn't do that. She must know it would only add insult to injury, and idiocy to incompetence.

I think you are basically right but it is rather complex really because the judge will first have to "schedule" her sentencing. So I'm guessing JSS will schedule it a month if not more later.

Then, my understanding is the reason it gets even more complex is the law was different back when the murder happened. And the judge has to sentence him according to those guidelines so if she says Life with possibility of parole, then that is what she could decide.

We know the state does not currently have a parole option and some say she can never get out BUT that is wrong if JSS gives her the LWP option. Because things COULD change. So lets say 10 years from now, the state of AZ reinstitutes parole possibles. And if JSS gave her the parole option, then BINGO, now JA is eligible because of the sentence she gave.

Her other option is LWOP and that one should stick if she decides on that.

Which is why if JSS gets this case, it complicates things tremendously. It is not just an "automatic" thing as some think. I predict at least a month delay or more if JSS gets the case.

And if others are right that the DT gets to bring on witness statements, OMG. I dont think I could take anymore of them. LOL

BBM I left a ? for AZL and she said that she didn't think that JJS would need more info. So maybe we will be spared this.

BBM I left a ? for AZL and she said that she didn't think that JJS would more info.
I hope we can clear this up because if it's true it might put several of us right over the edge.

No, that is the thing, she wasn't who he thought she was she was just mimicking other people. She doesn't have a personality, only a persona.

She certainly deserves death.

I've written quite a bit about my theories on that. She's not empty, she's empty in her relations to others. There's a crucial difference.

I'm not a legal professional, but it's my understanding that to qualify for a DP jury you have to agree both that you can consider the DP, and that you can consider giving life. If your mindset before the trial even begins is that a guilty verdict automatically means the DP then you don't qualify any more than someone who refuses to vote for the DP.

As someone else pointed out, the problem with this logic is that it is only the jury that can give the DP, if a juror isn't fully prepared to give the DP in an already DP qualified sentencing trial, then why bother with one at all since the default goes to a life sentence by judge anyway, unless you're a stealth juror?

The very thought of another freaking mini trial just so JSS can decide whether to go LWP or LWOP even though she presided over both trials, and heard every single motion just boggles the mind, I mean come on!!!!

Personally, I think if the DP has been on the table, then there should be no option, it should be LWOP in the case of a hung jury.

I beleive jodi is a sadist who played the part of an insecure masochistic, pathetic sexual barbie , in order to gain control over the poor victim Travis who was in his sexual adolescence and thought he was being slick,
Having several girls, enjoying being young in a repressive religious environment.

Jodi is a pure psychopath who is very obviously turned on by what she did, and very very turned on by the aftermath, her torture of his family, the reach she was able to create inside their lives, that she left her stain on them, this is ambrosia for jodi.

Planning travis's murder, having a gun, a plan, a plan to watch and enjoy the horror and grief and the sexual satisfaction was the greatest most exciting event of Jodi's life, it was thrilling and worth it..
Jodi got more guns (or another gun, glock? ) right away...to go camping and feel the thrill of shooting a gun again.

In Jodis mind, she owns the Alexanders, they are all a part of her masterpiece, she wants to cut them and nick them every chance she can, she loves them, she loves their pain...in her mind they are forever enmeshed.

This is Jodie's true nature, her calling... She should never ever be released.

Moo

"While all twelve of you had to unanimously agree that the State proved beyond a reasonable doubt the existence of a statutory aggravating circumstance, you do not need to unanimously agree on a particular mitigating circumstance. Each one of you must decide individually whether any mitigating circumstance exists.
You are not limited to the mitigating circumstances offered by the defendant. You must also consider any other information that you find is relevant in determining whether to impose a life sentence, so long as it relates to an aspect of the defendant’s background, character, propensities, record, or circumstances of the offense"

This means that they can look over things and make a determination on something other than what the DT offered them.
These are from the first penalty phase of this trial. Not this one because I could not find them but I would think the instructions are based on the law of what is allowed and would have to stand.

The instructions to this jury may have been different from the first one. The first jury sat through the guilt phase and had knowledge of some evidence that may not have been presented in the sentencing phase.

I wish JSS had sent that first jury back to deliberate some more.

IMO the autopsy pictures aren't emotion manipulation; it's just visual evidence, proof of him being butchered by Arias. But Arias & the defence team QQing about her alleged abuse by her victim and pedo lies are an attempt to emotionally manipulate, to get the jury to feel sorry for her, and I'd have none of it if I were on a jury.

JMHO

And the fact that she has NO remorse. That is huge for me. She has only cried for herself and has not even apologized. She is not sorry, she is proud of her handiwork. She was not abused, she forced herself onto Travis and she chose to drive like a banshee to Mesa that day to kill him. Her life should not be spared, IMO.

Originally Posted by Steve44
She didn't say it wouldn't be announced, she said it wouldn't be read.

Might be difficult to announce it without first reading it.

Those pesky little distinctions without differences...

Kinda hard to *read* the verdict if it hasn't yet been *announced* that the jury has reached a verdict.

That's my interpretation of what Steve44 may have meant. But it's late, I'm tired and I'm frustrated, so I may be way off.

I don't think you are going to get people who don't believe in the DP for her to change their minds. I think this ends up LWOP. I think that is the end of it and I will be glad.

Right, so the whole "death penalty qualified jury" thing doesn't amount to a hill of beans, and is nothing but a farce. When potential jurors state they have any misgivings at all about a death sentence, how do they make it to the jury in a death sentence case. How, just how ?

Hi , just came back to check, back again after I finish dishes :laughing: .I saw part of NG tonight thinking she might speak of trial, at 1/2 time I left. she said nothing when I had it on. They spoke of a case Kelly young lady in Mesa. They just found her body. Forgive me, first thing I thought "if trial entails Sherrie S. or Nurmi~ I'm outta there! never again. They muddled the j. minds so much they probably cant think straight! :hills: no way in he(( !

That's Mesa County, Colorado.

Which mitigators are the strongest for you? These jurors were sworn in promising to unemotionally weigh aggravating factors v mitigating factors.

1. Arias has no prior criminal history.
2. Arias was just 27 years old at the time she killed Travis Alexander.
3. Arias is remorseful.
4. Arias suffered both physical and emotional abuse as a child.
5. Arias suffered both physical and emotional abuse during her relationship with Travis Alexander.
6. The abusive nature of Arias' relationship with Travis Alexander caused her to suffer extreme emotional distress.
7. Arias has been diagnosed with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
8. Arias has been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder.
9. Arias' psychological makeup impaired her ability to cope with the tumultuous relationship

1. That does not seem like much of a mitigator. I agree with Juan, it is expected behavior by society.
2. Again, not much of a mitigator. She left home at 17, so was pretty mature 27 yr old.
3. I saw ZERO remorse. I don't think the jury was offered any either.

4. This one MAY work with a few jurors. I don't see her as a child abuse victim, but she might have snagged a few jurors with it.

5. I do not believe it for a minute. And I hope the jury doesn't either.

6. This may work with some of the jurors too. The mean emails might convince one or two, who do not understand the full context of the situation. And they may believe the BS narrative about him 'sleeping with JA' while flirting with other girls.

7. I don't think they will buy that.

8. THIS may be the biggest problem for the state. They have agreed she has BPD, and some may seem it as a strong mitigator.

9. This is essentially the same as above. Again, it might snag a few jurors to vote for LIFE. JMO I would vote DP, but I know her better than the new jurors do, most likely.

Originally Posted by Steve44
She didn't say it wouldn't be announced, she said it wouldn't be read.

Kinda hard to *read* the verdict if it hasn't yet been *announced* that the jury has reached a verdict.

That's my interpretation of what Steve44 may have meant. But it's late, I'm tired and I'm frustrated, so I may be way off.

"We have been informed that the jury has reached a verdict. Due to the time, it will be read in court tomorrow at 10:00am." That's all I meant. Announced but not read.

And the fact that she has NO remorse. That is huge for me. She has only cried for herself and has not even apologized. She is not sorry, she is proud of her handiwork. She was not abused, she forced herself onto Travis and she chose to drive like a banshee to Mesa that day to kill him. Her life should not be spared, IMO.

AND!

It wasn't satisfactory enough that she slayed Travis in that solitude of his suite.

Nah, Accuse TRAVIS of EVERYTHING as perverted as HER sick mind could come up with and splay it around for YEARS in a JOKE of a court of LAW!

Thanks Sherry!

:seeya: Good Night, Y'all !

:seeya: See y'all in the morning ...

:please: for a Verdict tomorrow ...

:please: :please: :please: for a Verdict for Justice for Travis !

As we sign off this evening, I sensed I pizzed off some folks with my "y'all, y'all." Please take my "clunky reference" as a 1) a third generation Washingtonian (not D.C) and 2) a great-great-great grand daughter of Texas.

My kin settled Texas. See Chapter "Mrs. Nancy Kelley" in "Early Settlers and Indian Fighters of Southwest Texas"

Originally Posted by jabberwocky
If that is true then they lied during voir dire.

Or they changed their mind when actually faced with the choice.

Or maybe one or more jurors just don't think Arias' crime met their personal threshold for voting for death -- not that they're stealthily opposed to the death penalty outright. [smh]

I'm just trying to rationalize my anger and frustration from earlier in the day. I just don't understand how Juan didn't make it crystal clear to them how deserving JA is of the death penalty. What more would she have had to do to warrant a vote for death from the holdout(s)??? [sigh]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glowing Chicken