Viable Suspect: John Mark Byers

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
shadoworder:

and why was he so worried this particular time?

Reasons why JMB was worried.

There was a lot going on in the local drug scene around that time. Clarke White was murdered January 1993.
Also the corruption affair in the CC-DTF.
JMB was an informant for the MPD, and for the OCU (Organized Crime Unit of the Memphis police), who were investigating the CC-DTF.
On the day the three victims were recovered, the CC-DTF netted $135,000 in cash and property from a drug raid, in what was described as their most successful sting operation to date.

He would have had real worries that he would be targeted. It's quite possible MB had no knowledge of these ongoings.

There was a lot going on in the local drug scene around that time. Clarke White was murdered January 1993.
Also the corruption affair in the CC-DTF.
JMB was an informant for the MPD, and for the OCU (Organized Crime Unit of the Memphis police), who were investigating the CC-DTF.
On the day the three victims were recovered, the CC-DTF netted $135,000 in cash and property from a drug raid, in what was described as their most successful sting operation to date.
Wow Have you got a link to a news story about this or some other provenance? Also, when you say 'sting' that rather suggests an official set up in order to get an arrest - often thought of as 'set up', which are frowned upon by some legal systems. It is known that the CCDTF ripped many off and, despite taking a cut among themselves, still managed to have a pretty high end in terms of confiscated cars, drugs, guns etc.

I know that the FBI were involved in investigating the CCDTF and it is was easily possible that they used some of the facilities of the Memphis Police's OCU - in terms of man power and unmarked vehicles. I somehow doubt that the Memphis PD Drug guys would have known of this as, despite being different sides of the river and different states I am pretty sure there was a fair amount of 'co-operation' on drug crime - in some ways West Memphis was more like a poor suburb of Memphis City.

He would have had real worries that he would be targeted. It's quite possible MB had no knowledge of these ongoings.
I have never heard that he had ever mentioned it. I somehow cannot see him as a serious informant for the OCU. But I could be wrong.

Blown away that you mention C White's murder. In terms of the corruption in the area of Arkansas we are interested in, I am sure that C White's killing was somehow connected with the endemic corruption of the CCDTF. What I found intriguing is how I have heard tell that he was a 'cross dresser' who used to hang out at gay bars in Memphis. It has been alleged that he was killed as he was considered likely to be a 'security' risk to some of the underhand activities of the CCDTF.

There was a section on the last Blackboard, which was very suddenly closed down, for reports and discussion on other events that might have factored into the wmfree case. Sadly I no longer have the links to articles that under-pinned some of it.

If the circle of events is then widened a bit more it also includes the whole sorry mess written up by Mara Leveritt in the Boys On The Tracks. I am not and never was a conspiracy theorist but this case is making me change as I get more and more convinced of a much wider conspiracy of which 'our' case is but a small part.

Perhaps, Miranda, you might like to make a thread regarding the "bigger picture" as discussion of it is not the purpose of this thread, and I do think it's a good topic for us to explore.

And while I can sympathise, and agree - I can see how some might like this case to simply go away, after all these years and all the bad press it's given to West Memphis - it remains that the murders of three little boys are (arguably, for some) still unsolved, and fact also remains that there's a wide variety of suspects who were in that community at the time.

Are we meant to simply drop the whole topic of these murders, because it might make a few people uncomfortable? Or are you saying we should ignore some suspects and not others? Or are you saying we should tiptoe around discussion of the criminal and/or suspicious behaviour of some suspects and not others? I'm actually not sure what directive you're giving, there. Really, it doesn't matter, I made this thread to discuss JMB as a viable suspect and that's what I'll continue doing in it. But I am curious.

And yes, shadoworder, there are several inconsistencies of that nature in things JMB said, I'm working up a post presently regarding those.

I've seen you "vent" about this subject on multiple occasions now. Is it just because people are suspecting a person (JMB) that you already believe innocent, or are you just vehemently against any person being raised as a suspect, in general, at all?

I don't know what you're expecting. You're on a WM3 discussion board. From the looks of it, this isn't the only board you've belonged to -- and you've been around for a long time. You've discussed many facets of this case yourself, freely, without being chastised -- as you have now resorted to doing to others.

It seems to me you have no problem proclaiming certain "insinuations" about TWH, and freely bringing up his checkered past (as you do in that thread), but you have a problem here with people bringing up JMB's checkered past....

All due respect, the chastising just seems somewhat hypocritical and, quite frankly, unnecessary. If you disagree that JMB should be considered a suspect, fine -- but don't try to scold others for what everyone is and has been hypothesizing in this case, simply because you disagree.
Userid, I have no idea who you are, how long you have been interested in this case nor which other communities you have interacted on For all I know we may well have 'met' before.

You would appear to have followed quite a few of my posts - and even read them. I have never ever gone so far as to say that TWH is the murderer. It is not only a defamatory statement to make (unless I could and would prove it in a court of law) but, even worse, is that it reduces the chances of a fair trial. Not to mention that were the case still 'open' comments like that can carry contempt of court actions.

Whilst we value free speech here in the UK, it does not trump the presumption of innocence nor jeopardize the potential of a fair trial. Under English Common Law, after a crime has gone down and before anyone is charged or 'helping police with their enquiries', then curiosity and speculation can run riot. HOWEVER at the point when a potential trial might well be looming, all speculation in the public domain ceases, under threat of being held in contempt of court under the laws of sub judice. Nothing is then published until the trial starts and up-dates of what emerged in court are reported at the end of each session. This, effectively, reduces the likelihood of juror contamination and increases the chances of a fair trial. At no point does the horror of 'trial by media' have any status what so ever. Obviously broadsheets will have articles on points of law whilst tabloids will cover the more sensationalist aspects of a case.

I am pretty sure that Australia, too, has laws of sub judice on their statute books. America does not. The 'Freedom of speech' Amendment seems to trump all. I have even met some Americans on these boards who seem to think that we do not have freedom of speech over here just because it is not in the constitution - which we do not have in the way they do. Worth remembering that our laws evolved according to need over many, many years. Inspiration for the US Constitution was taken from our Magna Carta of the 13th Century.

Yes I will readily admit that, for me, TWH is so high on my list of suspects that I would, given the choice, thoroughly investigate him and exclude him before going on to re-investigate the whole case. BUT that is not saying that I am accusing him. Merely that, in my view, the probability that he is the killer is up in the 90's.

Thus, in my view, any other possible perp that is not involved with TWH, is only likely to be about 10% probability of being the killer.. talking in very broad terms here.

I have never 'proclaimed' the guilt of Hobbs, it is something I would be incapable of doing. I have expressed the opinion that parts of the manhole theory sound distinctly possible to me and that the bite mark work / theory is very compelling indeed as far as I am concerned.

Despite all I have learnt over the years, and even more so since 2007, I would love TWH to be positively excluded, as the idea of a parent being involved is so very abhorrent. It would be far more comfortable for many were a total stranger to have been the perp, just as it would be much 'nicer' were there no reports of possible child abuse and spousal abuse. As an alien I was brought up by the cinema screen to believe in the American Dream. Nice detached houses with white picket fences, white collar jobs and incomes in a nice clean and friendly community etcetera.. but life does not work like that. For any of us.

I also have no problems with those who may still consider JMB a likely suspect. However I would far prefer them to use logic to make their case rather than strong and emotionally laden language to present, in this instance, JMB. Just because they dislike the character as presented on film and in the media, the exposure of anger which, I guess, to them, might or might not be raw grief.

Furthermore if a person's character is forever to be judged on previous acts, usually bad, then any form of religion with redemption goes right out the window. In which case bring back vigilante justice and the concept of trying a kid as an adult must be OK. It clears Governor Perry of Texas for not wanting to exonerate that arsonist who allegedly caused a fire to kill his wife and kids and was executed for it; after all what is the point if the guy has already been executed? Sometimes it is extremely valid to bring up prior violations in a case when it comes to MO, that does not mean it should always be done. It is a similar argument to that old one about smoke one joint as a teen and you are bound to end up a heroin addict. That would be an argument for life sentences for a couple of joints - but then long sentences for drug offences are very likely in the US. But then many Departments of Correction seem to be run as corporate business and the bottom line out ranks humanity for some people and rehabilitation seems to be a dirty word.

I am sleep deprived due to the very extreme weather over her - so I know I am rambling a bit. I am sure, like Ausgirl, many do not see the 'hatred' that comes across in some of the posts. Hardly surprising as there is so much about nowadays and we are all looking at this case from differing perspectives.

Ausgirl you had, and have, every right to present each potential suspect, in your view, in isolation, if that is the way you would approach a case such as this. That is where we def differ. I would far rather whittle down any list by ranking, and then comparing, likelihoods along the way and gradually just be left with only a few potential perps. If I have not answered yur concerns adequately, then I will, in time, do a cut and paste of part of some of the posts which seem, to me, to be approaching 'hate speech'. Let me know. Did you get my pm?

Someone lauded a board that made a case for JMB, TWH and 'bojangles man' to have done it along with two others. Odd as, considering I thought they were a non board, it must leave one member of the wmfree, out of the mix.

JMB was arrested, long after he got religion, for breaking parole requirements (in 2009, I believe? IIRC..) and was thus sentenced to do his 8 remaining years. He did couple of months and was released. So while getting religion works for some, it clearly did not for Byers.

And I'm not sorry at all, nor see why I should be, for speaking disapprovingly of anyone who assaults women and kids, rips off their neighbours and pulls a gun on a child. The end.

Again, Miranda, if you have a preferred method of examining the suspects - perhaps you could make a thread for that? I do hope you'll make the "bigger picture" one, as well.

Perhaps, Miranda, you might like to make a thread regarding the "bigger picture" as discussion of it is not the purpose of this thread, and I do think it's a good topic for us to explore.

And while I can sympathise, and agree - I can see how some might like this case to simply go away, after all these years and all the bad press it's given to West Memphis - it remains that the murders of three little boys are (arguably, for some) still unsolved, and fact also remains that there's a wide variety of suspects who were in that community at the time.

Are we meant to simply drop the whole topic of these murders, because it might make a few people uncomfortable? Or are you saying we should ignore some suspects and not others? Or are you saying we should tiptoe around discussion of the criminal and/or suspicious behaviour of some suspects and not others? I'm actually not sure what directive you're giving, there. Really, it doesn't matter, I made this thread to discuss JMB as a viable suspect and that's what I'll continue doing in it. But I am curious.
Of course we are not meant to walk away leaving this obscene travesty of justice to stand!

The anti DP campaigners have moved on; Those merely interested in seeing the wrongfully convicted out in the free world have also, for the main, departed. They had seen their objective attained, so fair enough.

We are left with those who want to see justice prevail. Also we have been joined, more recently, by many whose attention was drawn to the case by the film of Devil's Knot whilst there were also those who became more aware of the situation since the Alford Pleas and the release of the last 2 documentaries.

It is inevitable that a great deal, of what some of us see as 'old ground', is going to be re-examined and that, in itself, is no bad thing. 'Fresh eyes' can often spot something hiding in plain sight that those who have gone before have missed!

It is the state who very much wish this case would just 'go away'! They naively thought that would, hopefully for them, be one result of the Alford Pleas. It wasn't and we will not 'go away'.

This forum and this board is dedicated to specific cases and not the right place for a wider debate on the corruption in Arkansas along with drug cartels and drug distribution on a national level. I know for a fact that the board I mentioned was being monitored by the wmpd and others. I am convinced it was a part of why the board was suddenly 'closed down'. But I was very cheered to see another poster here also being aware of the possible bigger picture!

As to your statements of JMB, he was incacerated for a bit longer than that and after his release fufilled all the requirements of paroole/probation by 2007. I am not sure how you got the idea that he might have been incarcerated in 2009. Had that been the case and had you been around the boards then they would all have been lighting up over that. 'Getting religion' played no part in any defence - he did not even go to court with an attorney!

I await with interest as you add more potential suspect threads. I would imagine you are at least starting with family members first along with known sex offenders? Not that there was, it seems, any sexual component to the crime.

Miranda!

Wow Have you got a link to a news story about this or some other provenance?

Excuse me for not putting in the links. I was busy collecting them when I found something strange in the process. Had to take a look at it today. Jivepuppi is such a wonderful site, but it's a bit like a junk store.

Corruption and JMB Informer : Most of it is here:
http://www.jivepuppi.com/west_memphis_confidential.html (I was expecting you to have known this)

The "sting" is mentioned here too:
http://www.jivepuppi.com/jivepuppi_time_it_was.html

Here are some people angry at JMB:
http://www.jivepuppi.com/strangers_on_bicycles.html

Now this is the link that was very interesting. I never really found a way of viewing the complete contents of Jivepuppi until a couple of days ago. I then managed to find his log page: http://www.jivepuppi.com/jivepuppi_log.html

Yesterday, searching for the aforementioned links I bumped into his Index page:
http://www.jivepuppi.com/index.html

Now this got really interesting as I was looking for the page I wanted. I followed the index page (A Twilight Kill, Part Thirteen: Whodunnit, the hole at the center of the case)to the link:

http://www.jivepuppi.com/the_hole_in_the_center_of_the_case.html

And what I was looking for, wasn't there!

I then followed the link from the log page (The Hole in the Center of the Case.):

http://www.jivepuppi.com/the_hole.html

Hey presto! It was There again. The part that was missing (Filling the Holes.) is very, very interesting.

Other things that bother me in connection with all this:

1. The missing nightshift
2. Mr Bojangles
3. Aaron H. saying if he had been playing with the boys that day.....(Victoria H's "special" relationship with the police gives me the feeling she knew something was going to happen that day)
4. The way the bodies were discovered, and the involvement of the DTF at the crime scene, plus the involvement of Steve Jones (Jerry Driver):http://westmemphisthreediscussion.yuku.com/reply/106419/Re-Steve-Jones#.U8vSpUAkKK4
5. The fact that the killers of Clarke White were being returned to Arkansas on 5/5/93 (Tried to follow this up, but I can't find anything.)
6. The death of MB still remains a mystery to me, and possible similarities to the death of Clarke White have been mentioned before. JMB's "after my wife was murdered" statement (polygraph test).

After reading all this, I get more and more convinced that there is a "sick" connection in there.

Miranda!
Excuse me for not putting in the links. I was busy collecting them when I found something strange in the process. Had to take a look at it today. Jivepuppi is such a wonderful site, but it's a bit like a junk store.

Corruption and JMB Informer : Most of it is here:
http://www.jivepuppi.com/west_memphis_confidential.html (I was expecting you to have known this)
LOL I was hoping you would have some links of primary sources! I have faith in the jivepuppi site and back in the day it was always the first place I would send people! However, it is now so much bigger that it is not in the easier 'bite' size chunks as it was when it started. He is meticulous in his research though and it is very rare for errors to slip through.

Other things that bother me in connection with all this:

1. The missing nightshift
2. Mr Bojangles
3. Aaron H. saying if he had been playing with the boys that day.....(Victoria H's "special" relationship with the police gives me the feeling she knew something was going to happen that day)
4. The way the bodies were discovered, and the involvement of the DTF at the crime scene, plus the involvement of Steve Jones (Jerry Driver):http://westmemphisthreediscussion.yuku.com/reply/106419/Re-Steve-Jones#.U8vSpUAkKK4
5. The fact that the killers of Clarke White were being returned to Arkansas on 5/5/93 (Tried to follow this up, but I can't find anything.)
6. The death of MB still remains a mystery to me, and possible similarities to the death of Clarke White have been mentioned before. JMB's "after my wife was murdered" statement (polygraph test).

After reading all this, I get more and more convinced that there is a "sick" connection in there.
Agree! The missing info of any investigation of the Truck Wash has long been a red flag for many of us.

I obviously need to do another 'catchup' on jive's site - I must have missed the last message of an up-date. Melissa Byers' death was never actually ruled on. The 'murder' comment by JMB was due to the fact that, in his view, she was another victim of the original 'murder' of the boys. She never really got over the death of Chris. People can die of a broken heart in the sense that the desire to keep battling on just ceases to mean anything. I see no logical connection between her death and White's.

The fact that the night shift were not brought up to speed at shift change is disturbing and the fact that Steve Jones was helping the search the next day, in my view, was just a case of 'all hands on deck'.

I do not know if it is known which members of the CCDTF were involved in the activities on the Thursday morning.

As far as I am aware JMB was only a minor informant for the Memphis Police Drug guys and did, on one occasion, pass a tip to them and the wmpd. To his knowledge there never had any type of link with the serious crime lot in Memphis.

With any info gleaned from jivepuppi, then just mention of that rather than specific links is more than enough. The person who does it is a scientist (Pharmacology) and has followed this case for ages. He also manages, for the main, to only follow logical leads his only emotional input is that the trials were a travesty, as well as the investigation!

I await with interest as you add more potential suspect threads. I would imagine you are at least starting with family members first along with known sex offenders? Not that there was, it seems, any sexual component to the crime.

Yep, there's four such threads so far: Echols, Hobbs, Byers and Martin. There's several others I plan to make, as well. Some are IMO clearly unlikely, but I think it's still good to have a specific place to discuss them. I think a lot of people might have interest in suspects that don't have a massive 'following' of believers in their guilt (and therefore don't get much of a chance for clear discussion of them) so hopefully the thread provide a place for them discuss their views and maybe share info gleaned since the crime - and they've come along pretty well so far.

If people can continue to forgo derailing these threads, I think there's some good discussions to be had.

If no-one else is willing to, then I will also make a WM corruption thread, because I do think this played a huge part in why some people were more closely investigated (or hey, just investigated properly, or at all..) than others. Like Byers, for example (bringing this back on topic, hopefully...) who was handled with kid gloves as far as I can see, for a very long time, as a habitual criminal. I truly believe the wm3 were cheerfully railroaded so others who had some value or link to the corruption ongoing would not be scrutinised too heavily.

I also have no problems with those who may still consider JMB a likely suspect. However I would far prefer them to use logic to make their case rather than strong and emotionally laden language to present, in this instance, JMB. Just because they dislike the character as presented on film and in the media, the exposure

Ok, all I said was that his wording bothered me a bit. I never said he was or was not guilty, used strong language, harsh wording or anything else. While I appreciate your clarification that you were just venting, I found your reaction to my paltry 5 sentences a bit over the top. I didn't realize posting something that bugged me about a particular instance was out of line. And I am not playing any type of whodunit game. But having been so soundly and publicly corrected, I think it best if I keep my thoughts, ideas, or observations, to myself. I acknowledge being put firmly in my place.

Ausgirl, thank you for your warm welcome on the other post, and willingness to engage a person new to the board.

Ok, all I said was that his wording bothered me a bit. I never said he was or was not guilty, used strong language, harsh wording or anything else. While I appreciate your clarification that you were just venting, I found your reaction to my paltry 5 sentences a bit over the top. I didn't realize posting something that bugged me about a particular instance was out of line. And I am not playing any type of whodunit game. But having been so soundly and publicly corrected, I think it best if I keep my thoughts, ideas, or observations, to myself. I acknowledge being put firmly in my place.

Ausgirl, thank you for your warm welcome on the other post, and willingness to engage a person new to the board.

Many things JMB did are odd and make him a viable suspect. Your opinion is just as important as someone else's opinion of him not being a suspect. IMO I don't understand that thought process whatsoever but I will not chastise them for having that opinion as has been done to you. Please stick around and continue to share your opinions. They are meaningful and I assure you there are many that have the same. On WS we are not allowed to tell what posters what or what not to post so this is not a common occurrence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMB has no control over the fact that the camera 'likes' him. Much as it does a few people, Marilyn Munroe being one. OK guys wanted her and women wanted to be like her. JMB does not pluck heart strings but he def. grabs both attention and emotional responses.

Next point, the footage in PL2 that you refer to is most likely news tv cover from back then, (sorry, but the idea of watching PL2 again does not appeal). JMB had no front of camera experience back then, further more he was trying very hard to get 'Search and Rescue' involved on the evening they went missing. 'Search and Rescue'; 'Recover'; 'Retrieve'; They are all 'finding' words. If two people use slightly different words such as to raise flags as to a degree of culpability then things are pretty sorry and no wonder some juries misunderstand and return wrongful convictions.

Fine if it 'bugs' you. :) Many things bug me, but not enough to post in a debate arguing a point that someone is a viable suspect.

A good investigation has a load of possible suspects and slowly, by dint of hard work, whittle it down. That never happened in this case. Ausgirl has opted to approach things going suspect by suspect, in isolation. Also only using the resources generally available to all that has already been 'sanitised' by the wmpd. Women kill kids too.

These are real people here and it is not some sort of 'who dun it' game. Maybe posters could be asked to list, with a percentage of possibility, who they think is a killer. I would like to suggest that folk filter what they say by imagining meeting that person, face to face, in public and thinking how they would feel if they had got it wrong.

This is not an attack of you Carillion, just a general vent. Your post was just the proverbial straw - others have posted bails of the stuff... So much hatred oozes out of some posts that it is obvious they are emotion driven rather than logically arrived at. BTW Welcome.

"JMB has no control over the fact that the camera likes him". JMB actively seeks out the camera and puts on a show. He is caught in several lies in the documentary that makes him seem like a dishonest person. Some of these lies are directly connected to the murders that makes him seem like a likely suspect. I do not liken him to some celebrity like Marilyn Monroe. He sought the camera himself and embarrassed himself with it.

Also things that "bug" you are often inconsistencies that are important in deciphering honesty and innocence. Therefore stating things that bug you on a thread about a possible suspect is perfectly rational.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aw heck carillion -- you're welcome but don't leave us, eh? There's always going to be a few among the crowd who don't know how to communicate, and it's not your fault! Please choose to scroll & roll over the insults and peeves. We do need fresh eyes on this case, and many others besides - and your opinion is VERY welcome on them!

Userid, I have no idea who you are, how long you have been interested in this case nor which other communities you have interacted on For all I know we may well have 'met' before.

You would appear to have followed quite a few of my posts - and even read them. I have never ever gone so far as to say that TWH is the murderer. It is not only a defamatory statement to make (unless I could and would prove it in a court of law) but, even worse, is that it reduces the chances of a fair trial. Not to mention that were the case still 'open' comments like that can carry contempt of court actions.

Whilst we value free speech here in the UK, it does not trump the presumption of innocence nor jeopardize the potential of a fair trial. Under English Common Law, after a crime has gone down and before anyone is charged or 'helping police with their enquiries', then curiosity and speculation can run riot. HOWEVER at the point when a potential trial might well be looming, all speculation in the public domain ceases, under threat of being held in contempt of court under the laws of sub judice. Nothing is then published until the trial starts and up-dates of what emerged in court are reported at the end of each session. This, effectively, reduces the likelihood of juror contamination and increases the chances of a fair trial. At no point does the horror of 'trial by media' have any status what so ever. Obviously broadsheets will have articles on points of law whilst tabloids will cover the more sensationalist aspects of a case.

I am pretty sure that Australia, too, has laws of sub judice on their statute books. America does not. The 'Freedom of speech' Amendment seems to trump all. I have even met some Americans on these boards who seem to think that we do not have freedom of speech over here just because it is not in the constitution - which we do not have in the way they do. Worth remembering that our laws evolved according to need over many, many years. Inspiration for the US Constitution was taken from our Magna Carta of the 13th Century.

Yes I will readily admit that, for me, TWH is so high on my list of suspects that I would, given the choice, thoroughly investigate him and exclude him before going on to re-investigate the whole case. BUT that is not saying that I am accusing him. Merely that, in my view, the probability that he is the killer is up in the 90's.

Thus, in my view, any other possible perp that is not involved with TWH, is only likely to be about 10% probability of being the killer.. talking in very broad terms here.

I have never 'proclaimed' the guilt of Hobbs, it is something I would be incapable of doing. I have expressed the opinion that parts of the manhole theory sound distinctly possible to me and that the bite mark work / theory is very compelling indeed as far as I am concerned.

Despite all I have learnt over the years, and even more so since 2007, I would love TWH to be positively excluded, as the idea of a parent being involved is so very abhorrent. It would be far more comfortable for many were a total stranger to have been the perp, just as it would be much 'nicer' were there no reports of possible child abuse and spousal abuse. As an alien I was brought up by the cinema screen to believe in the American Dream. Nice detached houses with white picket fences, white collar jobs and incomes in a nice clean and friendly community etcetera.. but life does not work like that. For any of us.

I also have no problems with those who may still consider JMB a likely suspect. However I would far prefer them to use logic to make their case rather than strong and emotionally laden language to present, in this instance, JMB. Just because they dislike the character as presented on film and in the media, the exposure of anger which, I guess, to them, might or might not be raw grief.

Furthermore if a person's character is forever to be judged on previous acts, usually bad, then any form of religion with redemption goes right out the window. In which case bring back vigilante justice and the concept of trying a kid as an adult must be OK. It clears Governor Perry of Texas for not wanting to exonerate that arsonist who allegedly caused a fire to kill his wife and kids and was executed for it; after all what is the point if the guy has already been executed? Sometimes it is extremely valid to bring up prior violations in a case when it comes to MO, that does not mean it should always be done. It is a similar argument to that old one about smoke one joint as a teen and you are bound to end up a heroin addict. That would be an argument for life sentences for a couple of joints - but then long sentences for drug offences are very likely in the US. But then many Departments of Correction seem to be run as corporate business and the bottom line out ranks humanity for some people and rehabilitation seems to be a dirty word.

I am sleep deprived due to the very extreme weather over her - so I know I am rambling a bit. I am sure, like Ausgirl, many do not see the 'hatred' that comes across in some of the posts. Hardly surprising as there is so much about nowadays and we are all looking at this case from differing perspectives.

Ausgirl you had, and have, every right to present each potential suspect, in your view, in isolation, if that is the way you would approach a case such as this. That is where we def differ. I would far rather whittle down any list by ranking, and then comparing, likelihoods along the way and gradually just be left with only a few potential perps. If I have not answered yur concerns adequately, then I will, in time, do a cut and paste of part of some of the posts which seem, to me, to be approaching 'hate speech'. Let me know. Did you get my pm?

Someone lauded a board that made a case for JMB, TWH and 'bojangles man' to have done it along with two others. Odd as, considering I thought they were a non board, it must leave one member of the wmfree, out of the mix.

You're splitting hairs, Miranda.

I never said you vehemently declared TWH guilty -- you haven't. What I said (exactly) was that you had no problem bringing up his checkered past -- and you did. If you really want me to waste time and dig up the post for you, I will -- but I would hope that I wouldn't have to, in all honesty. He's high on your list on suspects, and that's fine. JMB is high on others, and that is fine too.

You haven't declared TWH guilty, and no one in this thread had declared JMB guilty.

You have a problem that a certain poster has created an individual thread about each individual suspect -- and you seem to be the only one who actually objects (for whatever reason). You're almost acting as if Ausgirl had this devious plan, when in reality, each individual thread was most likely created in order to avoid confusion and/or derailment. It's a silly thing to complain about it, in my view. You're attacking nothing but a preference, at best, while succeeding at derailing the thread.

I know who you are (on the internet) because I've seen you on other message boards in researching the case. This is the only site I really ever post to; the others, I just read.

Again, I can't help but find the bolded above ironic, in that, before you entered this thread, the discussion was civil -- until you yourself perceived the posts as "emotionally charged" and responded "in kind." For whatever reason, you are perceiving something that isn't there.

I will not go on a long diatribe in response to your freedom of speech argument, other than to say that it is the number one priority of the rules and etiquette section of this forum, which is based in the United States.

Of course, you have the right to continue attacking this thread and/or the creator's preference (to create each individual thread), but I hope you would refrain -- because (at least from the impression of what I've read from you) that probably isn't the image you want to portray of yourself, which is bully-ish and vitriolic.

Carillion, I agree with others here -- please stick around; all views should be welcomed here, and your input is as valuable as any other single poster's on this site.

Thank you everyone. I sincerely had not intended to offend anyone with my post!

Hoping we can keep the thread on track now.

Does anyone else think JMB's interview with Gitchell is a bit... chummy, at all? As in, Gitchell seems to be offering JMB explanations for the glitches in his story, or kind of guiding him toward those.

It seems the WMPD were experts at leading the people they were interviewing down the path they wanted them to go, so this wouldn't surprise me at all. I can't focus much on the lies JMB has been caught in since then, because, good grief, it seems everyone was lying about something there, but if JMB was in fact a valuable informant, his entire interview could have been staged. NOT SAYING IT WAS, of course, but just making an observation.

You're splitting hairs, Miranda.
Getting my hair done is long overdue!
Of course, you have the right to continue attacking this thread and/or the creator's preference (to create each individual thread), but I hope you would refrain -- because (at least from the impression of what I've read from you) that probably isn't the image you want to portray of yourself, which is bully-ish and vitriolic.
Meanwhile, I was the first to respond to it and stuck to just discussing JMB!! If you glean from my posts the description ascribed above that is your right!

Carillion, I apologise for not managing to explain how you just, alas, were the 'straw' and that others had been bales! Actually haystacks, rather than bales, might have been a better description but I don't think modern mass farming uses them any more these days. I am gald you have continued to post as everyone has something valuable to bring to the table - even when it is a large elephant. :laughing:

For the record I dont remember Gitchell as being any part of the CCDTF. He was just a regular detective with the wmpd. I think he was just sensitive to the fact that he was questioning a grieving father - but I could be wrong!

Ausgirl I obviously need to go and read the Echols viability thread! Drag is that the boy/man bores me and I do not think for a moment that he alone had anything to do with the crime!

As I tried to say I do not think this is the forum for the wider implications of corruption in the State of Arkansas. The dynamics of the corruption would appear to reach beyond the relatively small and parochial wmpd. Trying to do in isolation would be akin to discussing the current games of Putin whilst ignoring The Crimea and Ukraine!

I was not intending to 'snarl' at you about the methodolgy you are implementing, just that it would not be the method of choice for me due to the interactions of the community! Robust debate is something to be relished but always with substance as well as both respect and a degree of subtlety. But then, I still think tomatoes ARE a fruit when carefully grown rather than mass farmed, using chemicals galore. Those I ignore! Tomatoes still have their place in a main course.

Getting the thread back on track, the odds of being the immediate kin of not only one unsolved death, but two (occurring in less than 3 years, on top of it) are astronomical to say the least.

And as far as narratives go, his history of drug dealing should not be glossed over in terms of this case. Even if you believe JMB didn't have a direct hand in these murders, his history and the associates with which he dealt certainly could have.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back