Viable suspect: Terry Hobbs #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The following is from Jacoby's declaration in the Pasdar suit:

6. On May 5, 1993, I worked at the Memphis Ice Cream Company. I got home from work at approximately 4:30 PM on that day. Sometime between 5 PM and 5:30 PM on May 5, 1993 (it could have been as late as 6 PM, but I believe it was between 5 and 5:30 PM), Terry Hobbs came over to my house.

7. I believe I saw Terry's step-son, Stevie Branch, ride by on his bicycle in the street in front of my house. I also believe I saw two other little boys with Stevie. One of the other boys who went by the front of my house was on a bicycle and the other boy was on a skateboard.

8. Terry and Amanda came inside my house. Amanda played with toys, and Terry and I sat down and played guitars for up to one hour. At some point while Terry and I were playing guitars, I asked, "Where's Stevie?" because Stevie usually came over to my house with Terry and Amanda (and also Pam Hobbs when she came over). Terry responded that Stevie was riding his bike.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but it appears to me that DJ is saying he saw Steven and two friends riding down the street in front of his house when TH and Amanda came over. It seems that he is telling a sequential story here, and that paragraph 7 happened right after paragraph 6 and paragraph 8 happened right after paragraph 7. Of course, it seems strange that DJ would ask TH where Steven was when he (DJ) had just seen him (Steven), but there's so many strange things about this case, what's one more?

That is not gossip that is a first hand account.

And then we have the witnesses at around 6:30 saying they saw all the kids with TH. So that makes sense.. If DJ saw the kids then TH definitely saw the kids..

Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but it appears to me that DJ is saying he saw Steven and two friends riding down the street in front of his house when TH and Amanda came over. It seems that he is telling a sequential story here, and that paragraph 7 happened right after paragraph 6 and paragraph 8 happened right after paragraph 7. Of course, it seems strange that DJ would ask TH where Steven was when he (DJ) had just seen him (Steven), but there's so many strange things about this case, what's one more?

You're not misinterpreting. That's a great catch.

Jacoby's statement is confusing, in that he doesn't specify exactly when he saw Stevie -- was it sometime before Terry and Amanda arrived? Was it right when Terry and Amanda got to his house?

I guess the main question I have is, if he just saw Stevie (either before, right when Terry got to his house, or anytime at all during the Hobbs' visit), why would he ask him where Stevie is? He just saw him ride by.

How about some good ol hearsay evidence?

How about some good ol lying?

John Mark Byers Pasdar Declaration

David Jacoby, Hobbs' friend, has stated to me that Hobbs came to his house at approximately 5:00 PM and that as he was opening the door to let Hobbs in, he saw 2 boys on bicycles and 1 boy on a skateboard ride by his house and that he believes one of the boys was Stevie.
http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/jmb_declaration.html

And we all know how credible that kind of information is right?

You're not misinterpreting. That's a great catch.

If you look back in the thread you will also see that it was said that Pam Hobbs never had a police interview and we know that's not true.

We also know that the only person who claims that Jacoby saw Stevie riding his bike behind Terry is Byers who was not there, so that's hearsay or a lie.

We've seen Jacoby's statement so it makes me think that Byers lied in his declaration or wasn't telling what actually happened because he wasn't there.

This is the exact thing that TrueRomance was talking about in her letter to Misskelley about the truth and people trying to twist the truth.

Jacoby's statement is confusing, in that he doesn't specify exactly when he saw Stevie -- was it sometime before Terry and Amanda arrived? Was it right when Terry and Amanda got to his house?

I guess the main question I have is, if he just saw Stevie (either before, right when Terry got to his house, or anytime at all during the Hobbs' visit), why would he ask him where Stevie is? He just saw him ride by.

I agree that it is worded in a strange way, but I thought that he meant that he saw the boys ride by at the same time that Hobbs came over because the progression of his statement goes (paraphrasing) 6. Terry came over between five and five thirty 7. The boys rode by 8. Terry and Amanda came inside. 9. Around six thirty Terry got up to go look for Stevie at his house. To me this reads like a progression of events on that night, I don't know why he'd stick the bit about seeing the boys ride by in the middle of describing Terry's comings and goings if it had happened some other time.

As far as asking where Stevie is, he saw him ride by, but he didn't know where he was going. Maybe he was asking where Stevie had been headed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't get that interpretation from reading that. It could have been gossip from various sources.

What part of that is gossip?

Edited to add: can you please answer this question? Several if us have asked and I'm very curious about which part you're referring to as gossip?

Did I not see DJ say the same thing himself in WofM?? I will have to look again..

What part of that is gossip?

Edited to add: can you please answer this question? Several if us have asked and I'm very curious about which part you're referring to as gossip?

Gotta bump this. Which part of Jacoby's sworn statement is gossip, hearsay or lying?

Gotta bump this. Which part of Jacoby's sworn statement is gossip, hearsay or lying?

Let's get this right

I think she is referring to the timeline post here
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10049465&postcount=79"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Viable suspect: Terry Hobbs[/ame]

In the time line attempt above, Jacoby conveys that he saw Stevie riding past behind Terry Hobbs as he, Jacoby, opened the door to let him in, not actually 'with' him.

And that post is here
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10049871&postcount=80"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Viable suspect: Terry Hobbs[/ame]

Then there is a response to it here

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10055164&postcount=95"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Viable suspect: Terry Hobbs[/ame]

Which is different from the original post above.

Jacoby never said that. It was Mark Byers who said it and he's really credible? He wasn't even there to say he even saw it. He said he heard it, but I don't think it's true.

You can also go back and read each post, probably easier? If there is any more confusion please let me know:)

IMO, the part about --seeing-- Stevie seems a bit strange stuck in the middle of the other two parts of the statement. Like it's been grafted in. IDK. Why say you saw a kid, then ask where he is because blah blah blah, like you have no clue where. Very odd.

Where did he say it at - provide a link so that I can see it myself, otherwise it's rumors, hearsay or whatever you care to call it.

DJ Sworn Declaration
It has been posted/quoted at least three times within this thread so I find it a little humorous that I am told to read the entire thread.

I don't care to call it anything except for David Jacoby's declaration, it was you who called it otherwise.

IMO, the part about --seeing-- Stevie seems a bit strange stuck in the middle of the other two parts of the statement. Like it's been grafted in. IDK. Why say you saw a kid, then ask where he is because blah blah blah, like you have no clue where. Very odd.

I agree, it does seem strange.

DJ Sworn Declaration
It has been posted/quoted at least three times within this thread so I find it a little humorous that I am told to read the entire thread.

I don't care to call it anything except for David Jacoby's declaration, it was you who called it otherwise.

Yes and so what was said in the post was not true because it's not in Jacoby's statement from police or the declaration. So that's what makes it a 'rumor/gossip'.
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10049871&postcount=80"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Viable suspect: Terry Hobbs[/ame]

In the time line attempt above, Jacoby conveys that he saw Stevie riding past behind Terry Hobbs as he, Jacoby, opened the door to let him in, not actually 'with' him.

I don't know how much clearer that I can make it. The poster posted something that is not factual.

Let's get this right

I think she is referring to the timeline post here
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Viable suspect: Terry Hobbs

And that post is here
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Viable suspect: Terry Hobbs

Then there is a response to it here

Which is different from the original post above.

Jacoby never said that. It was Mark Byers who said it and he's really credible? He wasn't even there to say he even saw it. He said he heard it, but I don't think it's true.

You can also go back and read each post, probably easier? If there is any more confusion please let me know:)

Who is "she"? I was asking -you- what part of Jacoby's statement is gossip?

Who is "she"? I was asking -you- what part of Jacoby's statement is gossip?

His statement isn't gossip, but when someone adds to his statement saying that Jacoby saw Stevie behind Terry when he came in.

That's not true according to both of his statements from the police interview and the declaration.

His statement isn't gossip, but when someone adds to his statement saying that Jacoby saw Stevie behind Terry when he came in.

That's not true according to both of his statements from the police interview and the declaration.

Ahh so the problem was with the word behind Terry being used, ok, I'm glad we finally sorted that out. From reading his declaration, I wouldn't blame people for thinking something along those lines.

Ausgirl said:

I was just thinking about this and thought perhaps David was just asking "Where's Stevie?" as a general question and since he believes he saw him ride past might be curious as to why he wasn't with Terry, and not in the context of him being missing at all. Hope that makes sense.

Yes it does make sense. :)

But it's strange to me to ask somebody something they obviously wouldn't know -- 'where is he?' as opposed to something like 'didn't he wish to visit today?' or 'how long will Stevie be out?' or 'where's Stevie headed to (half an hour ago..delayed reaction?)'

The structure of it isn't natural, iyswim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tenamh