VT - Austin Colson, 19, Royalton, 11 Jan 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just came across this and sorry to see there has been no success on Austin's where abouts.
Thanks to everyone that posted links and info.
bdmama I remember you from Brooke who I still think of often. Looks like this might be another sad one and I will be following.

Looking at the map, Claremont and Newport appear to be outliers. Glad LE is focused on Downer Road (2nd pic). Very rural. Wonder if they are searching Crescent Lake....
b07b0e718ce1469d023a551470f7117a.jpg
5cd13194df3d3ac77495361f5f182b0d.jpg

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for the map Henry...I live about fifteen minutes from Royalton and most of Vermont is rural. Lots and lots of woods and dirt roads.

The trailer he was believed to have been using to collect scrap metal was later found on a rural road in Sharon.

26734330_10155366643522896_1214721517844741382_n.jpg

“Police are seeking assistance with identifying any locations where this metal may have been collected from. The scrap most likely was collected during the day on January 11 in the Royalton, Sharon, or immediate surrounding areas. Anyone who can identify some of this material, recalls interacting with Austin Colson that day, or has information about his disappearance is urged to contact the Vermont State Police Royalton Barracks at 802 234-9933.”

http://uvindex.vnews.com/2018/01/26/19-year-old-austin-colson-still-missing/

I see nothing has come up on Austin. I wonder what his girlfriend thinks happened or if she even has any idea?
I am pretty familiar with Sharon but have not been there in a few years. Lovely area and like Nancy1954 said lots and lots of woods and dirt roads.

Is collecting scrap metal a normal thing people do in his area? I ask only because where I live the people most likely to collect and/or steal scrap metal are drug addicts. So much so that as soon as I heard he was collecting scrap metal I thought maybe he was into drugs.

Is collecting scrap metal a normal thing people do in his area? I ask only because where I live the people most likely to collect and/or steal scrap metal are drug addicts. So much so that as soon as I heard he was collecting scrap metal I thought maybe he was into drugs.

Not necessarily. I see mostly contractor-types in my area (we are still recovering from Sandy and a lot of demo and building is still going on) so I see them drive around on bulk day and pick up scrape metal being tossed for garbage. They usually have pick-up trucks and toss it in the back, take it to the scrape metal yard and get paid by the weight.

Scrap metal foraging can at least make you a target for drug addicts since you get paid in cash, but then it wouldn’t make sense to leave the trailer with the metal behind. I was thinking perhaps they stumbled across a lucrative score and Austin’s friend didn’t want to share.

Thank you so much for the map Henry...I live about fifteen minutes from Royalton and most of Vermont is rural. Lots and lots of woods and dirt roads.

Indeed it is very rural. Not to mention, there's a river around there (Connecticut River), I wonder if they'll be checking that area. I camped in that area as a child and my children went to a summer camp not to far from there. So many places to hide body, I am afraid. I hope this young man is ok, but the longer he's missing, the more concerned I get that he's no longer with us.

Up here in the rural areas of NH, many people do this as a second income, so to speak. Many look on Craigslist where metal scraps are listed for free and pick them up right away. When we've wanted to get rid of any metal, we advertise and leave it out in the driveway- first come, first serve. When it's gone, we remove the ad right away so no one else wastes their time coming to the house. Believe me, we've had several folks on the weekends drop by within minutes of placing the ad.

It’s not something I would say is normal, but not unheard of. Austin is 19, and a high school drop out. He was attempting to start his own painting business, but frequently posted on a local yard sale group looking for scrap metal. There have been some murmurings that drugs may have been involved, but nothing definitive.

It’s not something I would say is normal, but not unheard of. Austin is 19, and a high school drop out. He was attempting to start his own painting business, but frequently posted on a local yard sale group looking for scrap metal. There have been some murmurings that drugs may have been involved, but nothing definitive.

Agree. We have lots of scrap metal all the time. We take it to be recycled. We don’t go looking for it but u can make some okay money doing this ..not sure this would mean anything but of course could. I’ve seen people place ads wanting scrap metal as well. Hope he’s found soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Austin Colson, 19, was last seen January 11th. His disappearance has been a shock to the family. “He was planning stuff. He made plans to change the oil in his car in my garage over the weekend,” his father said.

Vermont State Police say that Colson planned to sell some scrap metal on the morning of the 11th. He borrowed his dad's trailer, but never returned to pick up his car. A few days later the trailer was found abandoned on Downer Road filled with the metal, but Colson was nowhere to be found. His dad wants to know if anyone saw the trailer that day or where the scrap metal came from.

Still0128_00009.jpg

“Maybe a vehicle description that somebody may have witnessed either hitching onto the trailer or out on the back roads with the trailer,” his father said. “Why leave his car why take the trailer abandon it with scrap metal on it. It just doesn't make sense. Everything points to foul play.”

He says his son is a hard worker, who lives with his girlfriend.

State Police say this as a missing person case. They encourage anyone with any information to come forward.

http://www.wcax.com/content/news/Dad-of-missing-Vt-teen-searches-for-answers-471568803.html

I know so many people that scrap especially if the prices are good. They pick up whatever they see or collect until they get enough for it to be worth it and then take it to the junkyard.
My ex scrapped for years and there was a time where he did pretty good but it is all in the prices because it can be alot of work.
Austin was trying to make money to survive and I hope not a dope thing gone bad. There is not much work in the area because it is rural.

His mother thinks that someone out there knows more about the whereabouts of her son but is not speaking up.

MissingRoyaltonTeenFolo-jc-vn-012617-ph03
MissingRoyaltonTeenFolo-jc-vn-012617-ph02
http://www.vnews.com/Royalton-Teen-Still-Missing-After-Two-Weeks-Family-Pleads-for-Answers-15129525

Colson’s girlfriend, declined an interview, but gave a handwritten note to Claflin for publication:
“I just want him to come home. I’m sick of this empty and broken feeling that will never go away if I don’t find you. I love you. Please find your way home to me and all of us that are scared waiting.”

Social media posts have indicated that Austin Colson was possibly seen in the Newport and Claremont area since he went missing, his mother said.

19-year-old Colson had been doing well for himself recently, his parents said. Over the summer, he started his own painting business — A and C Painting — and had been working toward receiving a GED diploma. He recently had requested advice from his dad on the ins and outs of running a small business, something his dad knows well: He owns a welding supply business.

The onset of cold weather meant fewer painting jobs, so Colson tried to earn money in other ways, his dad said.
One was collecting scrap metal and selling it. He also made soaps and candles and sold them for a small profit, skills his grandmother taught him.

Colson had a strong relationship with his older brother and with his 10-year-old sister, who is taking the situation hard.

http://www.vnews.com/Royalton-Teen-Still-Missing-After-Two-Weeks-Family-Pleads-for-Answers-15129525

its my understanding his car was left at his fathers house where the trailer came from. He was picked up by an unknown person who had a vehicle that was capable of towing the trailer.

Finding the identity of this unknown person is the key to finding Austin. I would hope LE has questioned Austin's Father and the Fathers neighbors and Austin's girlfriend in regards to this unknown person.

Has there been any more mentioning of this unknown person or a description of the vehicle? This seems to be key information to finding Austin.

I think that's an understatement. Wow!

..... That’s not even the worst of it. His moms page had a pretty intense exchange after she made a post regarding Austin’s girlfriend. I’m not going to link it here because I’m not sure about linking someone’s personal profile, however there were definitely accusations about folks being uncooperative and drug use was mentioned again. It seems there may be much more going on here than originally put forth

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back