VT VT - Roberta Martin, 82, neigh went to check on her and didn't find her at home, suspicious, Enosburgh, Franklin County, 16 Jul 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I know we can't post FB comments & completely understand why that's a guideline of this site. But oof, if what the family is saying is true, this does not look good. Furthermore, it would make it so random. What motive is there to do anything to an 82 year old woman in rural Vermont?
I don't have FB but your post indicating something random makes me think it may be all the more difficult to establish a person(s) of interest.

Yes the daughter has been very forthcoming on Facebook and it doesn’t sound great but also doesn’t sound random IMO

Yes. I meant random in a "What's wrong with this world? Who hurts an old lady living her life in rural Vermont?" I know that doesn't convey well over Internet. I can't imagine what her daughter must be feeling.

I don't have FB but your post indicating something random makes me think it may be all the more difficult to establish a person(s) of interest.

The information is... interesting. May not be random violence though.

ETA: Pure speculation, MOO, etc etc. Perhaps word around town was that she had valuables or cash around her place & that would be motive.

The information is... interesting. May not be random violence though.

ETA: Pure speculation, MOO, etc etc. Perhaps word around town was that she had valuables or cash around her place & that would be motive.
Ok thanks.

<snipped>
Roberta Martin, 82, was reported missing early Wednesday morning after neighbors checked-in and failed to find her at her residence near Butternut Hollow Road. State police have deemed the disappearance “suspicious” due to evidence found at the scene, but they’ve provided little clarification on what was found.

Social media posts moving through Vermont community pages, however, have identified a forceful break-in and Duct Tape found at the scene. The information has not been substantiated by state police.

“I don’t want to speak specifically to what we’ve found or collected,” State detective Maj. Dan Trudeau told reporters during a Thursday afternoon press conference. “We do recognize the fact that neighbors or others may be providing some info sometimes that goes on social media.”

[...]

Trudeau confirmed state police have also applied for a search warrant to search a neighboring residence. They’re also looking for more info from anyone who may have been nearby.

Neighbors reported a number of walkers and joggers in the area who may have more information.

Yes the daughter has been very forthcoming on Facebook and it doesn’t sound great but also doesn’t sound random IMO

The daughter or the granddaughter??

Did anyone see that weird "scam" of the older woman sitting on the ground with some weird message about this person finding her on their lawn. The daughter did post that. And strangely, one of our local community FB pages also posted that same "scam" thing this week.

I do remain confused on the "random"....

The daughter or the granddaughter??

Did anyone see that weird "scam" of the older woman sitting on the ground with some weird message about this person finding her on their lawn. The daughter did post that. And strangely, one of our local community FB pages also posted that same "scam" thing this week.

I do remain confused on the "random"....
The daughter. I don’t see any post like that on her page, only updates about the investigation.

Martin last had contact with her family by phone at about 11:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 16, 2024, and has not been heard from since.
Apparently the daughter said Roberta sounded fine at 11:30 . But WHY a call this late?

Neighbors reported a number of walkers and joggers in the area who may have more information.
HOW could there be a *number* of walkers and joggers in this area?

Has anyone suspected stealing the air conditioner to huff freon?

Martin last had contact with her family by phone at about 11:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 16, 2024, and has not been heard from since.
Apparently the daughter said Roberta sounded fine at 11:30 . But WHY a call this late?

HOW could there be a *number* of walkers and joggers in this area?

Has anyone suspected stealing the air conditioner to huff freon?
Do we know if she made the call at 11:30pm or that's when the call ended? When I talk to my daughter on the phone, we can chat for an hour or two. So maybe the call started earlier but finally ended late?

idk.

Do we know if she made the call at 11:30pm or that's when the call ended? When I talk to my daughter on the phone, we can chat for an hour or two. So maybe the call started earlier but finally ended late?

idk.

The daughter has stated that she talks to her EVERY MORNING...
so still confused about WHY the late night call.
I have to say moo...
since the very specific mention of the every morning call was on a fb post...

idk.

Same, I can ring my Mam 8pm and we can still be chatting a few hours later.
Really hope Roberta is OK, I know it is most unlikely but to harm an elder lady living by herself is just sickening. Thoughts with her family and friends x

Moo

Friday, police were parked all day at a neighbor’s house searching the area and taking photos.

From article:
Social media posts moving through Vermont community pages, however, have identified a forceful break-in and Duct Tape found at the scene. The information has not been substantiated by state police.

It could be very normal to be awake at 1130pm for her… I haven’t seen it mentioned otherwise. Everyone has a different internal clock, I am in healthcare and many of my patients (including the elderly) are awake half the night.
True true. I used to spend the summers with my grandmother & she routinely was up half the night gossiping on the phone with her friends. Or allowing me to stay up with her & watch Johnny Carson. I remember vividly that Rosemary's Baby was the late night movie one night before the channel stopped broadcasting at 3:00 am. My grandmother slept fine, but I didn't sleep a wink, LOL.

Perhaps Roberta is a night owl. I feel for her daughter. Imagine talking to your mom every day, then receiving this news. I know we always want these cases to have happy endings. I'm really praying Roberta is found safe somewhere.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back