VT VT - Roberta Martin, 82, neigh went to check on her and didn't find her at home, suspicious, Enosburgh, Franklin County, 16 Jul 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Local here. That location is not "fairly public" -- I'd be surprised if the roads were paved. It's very rural, and AFAIK there's no campground nearby.
This is the campground: Brookside Family Campground,LLC and this particular location is directly on the Northwest Vermont Wheelers trail network: https://vtvasa.org/client_media/files/pdfs/VASA-Map-Final.pdf

Furthermore, you only need to look at google maps to see that that there are multiple ATV tracks leading into the woods all over this area where people are recreating. Perhaps they’re even unofficial, but I can see clearly where people are marking trails. I do a ton of mountain and gravel biking and frequently share ATV/class 4 type roads to link routes together. It is fairly public in that her body seems to have been located directly around a recreation area—trail network and a campground. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was someone riding an atv who eventually came across her. It seems by design, opens up the possibilities to many different, random people.

Last edited:
I live 40minutes away from here. This is the campground: Brookside Family Campground,LLC and this particular location is directly on the Northwest Vermont Wheelers trail network: https://vtvasa.org/client_media/files/pdfs/VASA-Map-Final.pdf

Furthermore, you only need to look at google maps to see that that there are multiple ATV tracks leading into the woods all over this area where people are recreating. Perhaps they’re even unofficial, but I can see clearly where people are marking trails. I do a ton of mountain and gravel biking around the state and frequently share ATV/class 4 type roads to link routes together. It is fairly public in that her body seems to have been located directly around a recreation area—trail network and a campground. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was someone riding an atv who eventually came across her. It seems by design, opens up the possibilities to many different, random people.
Are ATVs equipped with lights for night-time riding or would lights be something that need to be added?

I'm also thinking that an ATV on a trail late at night might be heard? I'm curious if anyone saw or heard any ATV late that night?

jmo

I clicked on some of the pins randomly and they are very old cases, some going back decades. I didn't click every pin, but I'm thinking Roberta's murder isn't part of a large pattern of murders. Am I missing something?

jmo
There is no large pattern in VT.
And I just think the very rural state just not have the resources to follow up on these old ones.

Using a news report & google maps street view, here's what I've found. (Imo.)

First, a screen capture from Police find human remains believed to be that of missing Franklin County, VT woman
1721671090767.png

I looked on Google maps street view to see where this is & found it (approximately 1320 Sand Hill Road); I used the "driveway"/pull off area beside the gnarled tree to match them:
1721671277761.jpeg

From Roberta's house on Butternut Hollow Road to the location of the police truck is approximately .8 mile.
1721672554663.png

I found Roberta's house (which is now blurred out on Google maps) using the aerial photo in the news report below, which shows it at the corner/beside an intersection. (The first article I linked in this post mentions that Roberta's house is on Butternut Hollow Road.)

RM seemed fine during her 11:30 pm phone call. She was not answering her phone by the next morning. So, presuming the incident occurred sometime in the middle of the night, RM may have been awakened by the perpetrator(s).
I have not seen it confirmed that anything was taken from the home. Was this some sick sexual pervert? (Although there are some sexual predators who prey on the elderly, it would be very unusual for them to take the victim from the home.) Or, there was never any intention to injure or take RM from her home, but she confronted the person breaking in and ran from the house or she recognized the individual so she was taken from the house and killed.

You know .... it still feels like an itchy thing to me. WHY such a late call with a daughter in Florida???
I know people say that "maybe she is a nightowl"..
I just wish the daughter would explain better.

I also really would like to get a better handle on her other kids and grandkids who live in the same area.
It is our habit here on WS to always wonder about the extended family.... it is WHAT WE DO.....

Lets just hope LE does know more than they are letting on right now.

Last edited:
I only clicked on a few too. Perhaps there is a connection to another case, but perhaps not. The unsolved cases are fairly well distributed throughout the state. Of course criminals do not always confine their activities within one state, and NH is right next door.
And so is NY and Canada.... It is really in the tip of the state that is so very close to those other states and Canada....

You know .... it still feels like an itchy thing to me. WHY such a late call with a daughter in Florida???
I know people say that "maybe she is a nightowl"... but it is a strange time for ANY OF US, to just have a normal-fine phone call.
I just wish the daughter would explain better.
<modsnip> Maybe the daughter works an overnight job and speaks to her mom on her drive in to work, or she works an evening shift and talks to her on the way home? Maybe they are just night owls. An 11pm phone call doesn’t strike me as odd until I’m specifically told otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:

They are still suggesting community caution/awareness...
"Although there is no evidence at the present time to suggest the community is at risk, people still should take reasonable precautions, such as locking the doors to their homes and vehicles and remaining aware of their surroundings," they said in a release.

<modsnip> Maybe the daughter works an overnight job and speaks to her mom on her drive in to work, or she works an evening shift and talks to her on the way home? Maybe they are just night owls. An 11pm phone call doesn’t strike me as odd until I’m specifically told otherwise.
Exactly! My mother in law used to stay awake until all hours because one of her granddaughters was a bartender. My MIL would keep her company on the phone while she was sweeping up, locking up, and driving home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Using a news report & google maps street view, here's what I've found. (Imo.)

First, a screen capture from Police find human remains believed to be that of missing Franklin County, VT woman
View attachment 519755

I looked on Google maps street view to see where this is & found it (approximately 1320 Sand Hill Road); I used the "driveway"/pull off area beside the gnarled tree to match them:
View attachment 519757

From Roberta's house on Butternut Hollow Road to the location of the police truck is approximately .8 mile.
View attachment 519764

I found Roberta's house (which is now blurred out on Google maps) using the aerial photo in the news report below, which shows it at the corner/beside an intersection. (The first article I linked in this post mentions that Roberta's house is on Butternut Hollow Road.)
According to property records, RMs house was actually #61, the second house in from Sand Hill. I believe #11 was the home searched by LE.
There is actually a dirt trail that runs off Sand Hill and parallel to Butternut Hollow that goes right behind RM’s home. If I recall correctly, this would lead directly to the open rear slider and where the AC unit was being removed.
I’ve attached a couple of screenshots, one of a closeup of the area in close proximity to the house, and the second, a pull away showing the campground area near where the body was found. Thanks @duckcat and @vls12345 for area info.

Attachments

• IMG_0492.jpeg
    IMG_0492.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0491.jpeg
    IMG_0491.jpeg
    240.6 KB · Views: 0

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors