VT VT - Selinda Winegar, 16, Burlington, 21 March 1979

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Following -- this young lady went missing near my hometown, before I was born. I'm hoping to connect with her family.

Selinda Jean Winegar
  • selinda_jean_winegar_1.jpg
  • selinda_jean_winegar_2.jpg
  • selinda_jean_winegar_3.jpg
Selinda, circa 1979; Age-progression to age 51 (circa 2013)

• Missing Since03/21/1979
  • Missing FromBurlington, Vermont
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Date of Birth04/24/1962 (56)
  • Age16 years old
  • Height and Weight5'3 - 5'4, 105 - 120 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA green and white striped shirt, blue jeans, low-top sneakers and rings on every finger.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Blonde/brown hair, blue eyes. Selinda's ears are pierced one time each. Her nickname is Cindy. She has a cross-shaped scar on her left ankle and a slight gap between her front teeth.
Details of Disappearance
Selinda was last seen at her family's home in the 100 block of Forest Street on March 21, 1979. She left home to visit a friend and never returned. Prior to her disappearance she had fallen in with a bad crowd and begun smoking marijuana. Her family, and Selinda in particular, had gotten threatening phone calls until the family got an unlisted telephone number.

After her disappearance, Selinda's family got an anonymous phone call saying Selinda had been murdered and her body was in the Winooski River. Investigators never searched the river, but the tip has not been verified. One of her sister's friends says she found a clump of blonde hair while fishing in the river in 1985, however.

Investigators believe Selinda probably ran away from home and did not meet with foul play. There were numerous reported sightings of her after her disappearance, and a relative claims to have seen her standing in the back of the church at her father's funeral in 1981, but none of the sightings have been confirmed.

Selinda was a student at Burlington High School at the time of her disappearance. She is the youngest of six children in a Roman Catholic family; her next sibling is thirteen years older than she is. Her parents are now deceased, but her siblings continue to search for her. Her case remains unsolved.

Selinda Jean Winegar
selinda_jean_winegar_1.jpg
selinda_jean_winegar_2.jpg
selinda_jean_winegar_3.jpg

Selinda, circa 1979; Age-progression to age 51 (circa 2013)

Missing since March 21, 1979 from Burlington, Chittenden County, Vermont
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
    • Date Of Birth: April 24, 1962
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4"; 115-120 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; blue eyes; single piercing in each ear.
    • Marks, Scars: A cross shaped scar on left ankle.
    • Clothing: Low top sneakers, jeans and striped green/white shirt. Rings on each finger.
    • Nicknames: Cindy
    • Dentals: Available. Slight gap in her front teeth.
    • Fingerprints: Not available
    • DNA: Available
Circumstances of Disappearance

Winegar was last seen at her home in Burlington, Vermont on March 21, 1979.

Cindy had fallen in with a rough crowd prior to her disappearance.
The Winegars -- and Cindy especially -- had begun to get menacing, anonymous phone calls, and the family had gotten a new, unlisted phone number.

After Cindy's disappearance the family got a final Cindy-related phone call from a man who did not identify himself. "If you want your daughter, she's tied up dead at the bottom of the Winooski River," he said, and he hung up. No evidence was found to indicate if foul play was involved or if she left voluntarily.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Burlingthttps://charleyproject.org/case/tami-lee-sussion Police Department
Detective Ray Nails or Lieutenant Rich Long
802-658-2700

Agency Case Number: 8827471/NamUs MP# 4620

NCMEC Number: NCMC1149880

Source Information:
Vermont State Police
NamUs
NCMEC
The Family of Selinda Winegar
Tami Lee Sussi – The Charley Project
The Doe Network: Case File 2050DFVT

I'm not sure what to make of it but I just discovered that ancestry has an entry on a Selinda Winegar in Burlington for an address from 2000-2008.

It's rather strange and I'm not sure it warrants a tip to LE.

1000012051.jpg

John Edward Winegar Mildred Lucille <I>Rogers</I> Winegar
Selinda Winegar's father and mother.

Charles John Edward Winegar
Selinda's brother.

His 2005 obituary states in part: "Charlie will be surely missed by surviving family members, ..., and Selenda Winegar, who has been missing since March 21, 1979...

LINK:

Feb 10, 2022 updated story

Sept 22, 2020

Identifiers​

Dentals: Available; slight gap in front teeth
Fingerprints: Unavailable
DNA: Available

1979 disappearance of Vermont teen remains unsolved

On March 1, 1979, 17-year-old Selinda Jean Winegar left her family’s home in Vermont to visit a friend. She never returned.

Friday marked the 45th anniversary of the teenager’s decades-old disappearance, and police are still seeking answers in the cold case.

“Several rumors about her whereabouts have been reported over the years, but she has not been seen since and remains a missing person,” Vermont State Police said in a Facebook post Friday about Winegar’s case

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back