VT: Sexual history survey sent to fifth grade students

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
Sexual history survey sent to fifth-graders draws complaints

WINDSOR, Vt. (AP) — A survey that asked fifth-grade students in Vermont about their sexual history, preference and gender identity has drawn complaints from parents.

The survey sent to Windsor Elementary School students was conducted by WISE, a nonprofit domestic violence prevention and advocacy group, WPTZ-TV reported...

This is so inappropriate, they are 10 year olds!! at that age there is not -or there shouldn't anyway- sexual activity so why asking these questions? I totally agree with these Vermont parents who got upset about this situation.

I’m gonna find that survey MS. Davis if it’s out there but I did find this with article with 1st search. Might be relevant in some way But hard to tell until we see those ?’s I definitely want to see them . My little granddaughter that lives with me is eleven. She started her period around three months ago just before she entered 5th grade. Before school started she asked me if she was going to see that film. I told her yes and she said “why?You’ve already taught me about that stuff” So sweet and innocent, she does have so much to learn as time goes on. She opened up and told me all her girlfriends. They were talking about sex in their own young way. I have two adult daughters that I didn’t explicitly much to them about sex until they were around 7th. Older and bolder, I started trying to educate my oldest granddaughter (now 18) early on once I would over hear her friends curious about sex. Full blown old now, I started earlier with her because the world is outrageously insane. Knowledge is power. But she’s on a need to know basis only. It begins at home. I want to see those questions! Anyway, rant over and here is article:

Sex education in American public schools is routinely criticized by health experts as lacking in comprehensive information, using stigmatizing language, and increasing risks to students through abstinence-based programs. But for LGBTQ students, the stigma and risks associated with public school sex ed is even greater, because most schools simply ignore the topic of gender identity and LGBTQ sex ed in the curriculum, leaving many students physically and emotionally vulnerable.

Heidi Beedle, an 11th grade English teacher in Colorado Springs, Colorado sees the exclusion of LGBTQ sex ed as a contributing factor to her LGBTQ students’ daily experiences of discomfort. “Broadly speaking, the LGBTQ students in my school generally just feel unheard, unacknowledged, and in many cases unwelcome,” she said.

In May of this year, Fremont Unified School District in California completely eliminated their sex education for 4th-6th grade because of “controversial content,” which included lessons about LGBTQ and gender. The district has since voted to re-introduce sex ed under a new curriculum. A school district in Allendale, Michigan also pulled their section on gender identity this past spring because that section had been added without approval from sex education advisory board. Allendale Public Schools outsources their sexual education through an organization called, Willing to Wait, an abstinence-based curriculum that is run by a crisis pregnancy center. Both the gender identity section and outsourced teaching are planned to be reviewed by the board when the board re-convenes in the fall.
LGBTQ students suffer when schools leave gender out of sex education

Last edited:
Students at Windsor State Street School were given a survey that asked them about their sexual preferences, their biological sex and how they “identify” as and if they have had a “romantic relationship” in that past year that involved a “sexual partner.”

Vanessa Beach, who posted portions of the survey on Facebook, said it was “ridiculous and unnerving” that her 10-year-old daughter was asked to disclose such information.
Vermont school gives fifth-graders sexuality survey, stoking outrage among parents

Attachments

• 3610ECCA-005C-4E06-9D83-9BAC64E898C7.jpeg
    3610ECCA-005C-4E06-9D83-9BAC64E898C7.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 5
A notice was sent to parents allowing them to opt their children out of the survey, but parent Vanessa Beach said she never received it.

While she doesn’t oppose topics on gender identity and sexuality being discussed, Beach said she feels the survey questions were inappropriate for her daughter’s age group.

“My daughter is 10. So are all the other kids who took this,” Beach said. “A sexual partner at 10 years old would be called sexual abuse.”

A WISE representative said the survey questions were created with University of New Hampshire researchers with whom the group is sharing the collected data.
Parents outraged over sexual history survey given to 5th-graders

The school sent a notice to parents ahead of time allowing them to opt their children out, but one parent said she never got it. She says the survey asked about sexual experience, preference, and gender identity. She felt the questions were inappropriate for ten-year-olds.

The school and nonprofit say they're now working to address complaints.
Windsor parents complain about 5th grade sex survey

This whole thread and discussion is so important in today’s world. Here is another one with South Carolina high school students.

Students at Windsor State Street School were given a survey that asked them about their sexual preferences, their biological sex and how they “identify” as and if they have had a “romantic relationship” in that past year that involved a “sexual partner.”

Vanessa Beach, who posted portions of the survey on Facebook, said it was “ridiculous and unnerving” that her 10-year-old daughter was asked to disclose such information.
Vermont school gives fifth-graders sexuality survey, stoking outrage among parents

From your link: IMO somebody needs to be fired.

Cassano said that administration did not see the survey before it was given to students and that it has been "suspended" since.

Wondering if the surveys were anonymous? I'd also be interested in the reaction of the 10 year olds to the questions. With all sorts of age-inappropriate sexual content available to anyone with online access, it does make me wonder about the whole "too early" to be exposed to sex education question.

I also wonder if a 5th grader's affirmative answers to questions about sexual activity would be one way to uncover hidden abuse in the home. IMO

Back in 5th grade we had Cootie education.

You know, the "Boys have cooties"/"Girls have cooties" bit. That was it insofar as sex ed though.

Wondering if the surveys were anonymous? I'd also be interested in the reaction of the 10 year olds to the questions. With all sorts of age-inappropriate sexual content available to anyone with online access, it does make me wonder about the whole "too early" to be exposed to sex education question.

I also wonder if a 5th grader's affirmative answers to questions about sexual activity would be one way to uncover hidden abuse in the home. IMO

Or create a false accusation against a parent, at worst.

Last edited:
From the same video "They told me not to."

I'm very interested in WHO told her not to show it to her mother. Was it her teacher(s) or someone more directly involved with the survey?

Back in 5th grade we had Cootie education.

You know, the "Boys have cooties"/"Girls have cooties" bit. That was it insofar as sex ed though.
Yep, by 6th grade, we were sneaking around the open wire fences looking, playing, hanging around. Listening to those silly little boys making google eyes at the “older women” probably all of 16, lying out on a towel in the grass in sunbathing. Sex-ed back in the 50’s. That and playing football in the neighborhoods with boys and girls teams. Thinking backwards, good clean happy fun sparked innocent coming of age moments.

My little one is so full of smiles, nurturing activities and family. I want all little children to want a life similar to hers. Bragging: She’s perfect!
She has one little friend that I overheard talking that really alarmed me - to the point of butting in. She’s one of my favorite of her friends. She has a disease where she’s only three and a half foot tall, extremely intelligent, loving and happy (with us and her friends) She had an uncle living in her home as she has a deadbeat dad she doesn’t even remember. I sat her little friend down and spoke with her for a long time more than once. I had my son drive down to her mother’s home and spoke with her too. Along with strongly voicing concerns and offering resources with a little advice thrown in for good measure. Hence; the uncle moved out two days later and hasn’t been back. I’m so proud I took action. I believe I made a difference in the life of little granddaughter’s friend. She calls me grandma.Sorry for the novel. I’m just feeling a certain kind of way today.

From Fox link previously provided:
To weigh in on this information provided by FOXNEWS.COM, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
The post REPORT: Vermont school gives fifth-graders sexuality survey, stoking outrage among parents appeared first on DML News.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
red carpet fiber
Back