Found Deceased WA - Cheryl DeBoer, 54, Mountlake Terrace, 8 February 2016 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how many people who have committed suicide are just not diagnosed with mental illness. Mental illness has a stigma, and some choose to self-medicate through drugs or alcohol, others maintain control via an eating disorder; some just trudge through life just keeping it together until something tragic takes them over the edge.

Just some food for thought.

I think this happens A LOT. I have a history of depression and mental illness comes with a HUGE stigma.

This is kind of random, and it was random for me, but this is an example of why taking notice of people, can benefit for yourself. This is fairly recent, and not far from any of the missing women, same city, really. IM NOT RELATING this as being any kind of connected.

This happened not even that long ago...
I was driving home, & did happen to take notice of man standing what looked to be almost completely still on the sidewalk, on a main road. I didn't have to turn my head at him to see him. He wasn't hiding, per say, just picked it up, with front/side vision. It was late evening, it was dark. So I turn, park, go about my business, gather up my belongings, my car door wasnt even shut yet, when my dog on the leash, started lunging/barking 2 seconds after paws hit the ground, like dog saw squirrell. What did dog see? Oh just the man I saw standing still, was now a man that weirdly became closer, once I was out of a moving vehicle. Mans reaction to dog, was interesting, like he didn't expect a dog. I was an extended leash, angry/barking dog.distance away from man. What did man want? Oh he said nothing to me, almost like I was invisible. I said nothing to him, as well (I let my dog say it)..he did however talk to my dog, "heeey...doggie,"..in a calming sort of way. I said, let's go dog, & we walked up stairs, through door. Belongings from car, had barely been set down, dog wasn't off leash yet, when dog heard something, loud enough for dog to hear, to start aggressively barking, now BOTH dogs were PO'd. I had been holding a smaller dog too, but now that one was mad. So what were they barking at? Quick look trough peephole..oh just the man, I saw standing still on busy road, was the man I saw coming towards me, off a quieter turn off, not speaking any words to me, was the man that walked up stairs behind me, & sood quietly outside the door, for minutes.

I don't know what any of this was supposed to be out, if anything at all, but it was all kinds of nooe, nope & NOPE.

So, yes I called the police, because man should not be outside this door right now. That's all I know. And I'm not going to open door, & confront man, who followed me up to it. But maybe he thought I would, b/c he was out there prety much the entire time, I was on the phone with 911, and with loud barking angry dogs.

Police arrived, and man was still hanging around. They were going to be the only people, that could get him to leave. And even I knew, this man hadn't committed a crime against me, or threatened me violently...yet.

So I don't know what happened with man, but nice police man called me, and said if same man comes back, CALL POLICE back. Even if he came back and still hadn't harmed me, police don't like having to tell someone twice to leave, when they told him once before. Now he'd be irritating the police..

How frightening, did you ask the police if they asked him who he was, and what he was doing?

On another note, do any of you ever think about that as a law abiding citizen, you would be uncomfortable in certain situations (like standing outside someone's door, breaking into someone's house, just to name a few), but criminals seem to not only be comfortable, but MOST comfortable in those situations. I can't even fathom being that way.

Sorry this may be a dumb question but this lady . She is not any relation to the little boy missing from the camping trip or is she.I ask because of the last name does anyone know ?

Let's be specific here, Seattle PD deal with a lot of crime. However, the King County, Snohomish County, Pierce county major crimes, SAR etc have a lot of experience with serial killers, outdoor suicides, missing persons, etc. They just had a high frequency of weird stuff. Some of these are some of the resources that MLT PD has tapped (though I defer to the MLT PD statements on the exact list).

There never needs to be a specific caution about a serial killer. People should be alert all the time, that's what I taught my kids.

Another scary thought, undiscovered bodies are EVERYWHERE. We just found out we had 4 (unrelated!) in one area where we were looking for an unrelated missing person. I keep discovering cold cases I wasn't aware of. Our major crimes detectives don't have bandwidth to look at them, because they're typically working 3-4 (or more) current cases (most of which are dirtbag on dirtbag but I digress). So there are definitely undiscovered remains and unaprehended killers out there, trust me. Does CD's case have any of the hallmarks of those? At least by the "northwest serial killer" traits, no.

You just validated some of my points... ONE case (MLT) doesn't equal a lot of experience.

And undiscovered bodies lends to my point as well. How many unattended dates are there out there, right? In my previous community, of 164k population, there were easily 15-20 unattended deaths PER YEAR! They would post them in the newspaper, and it was actually a pattern there too because they were all late 40s and 50s, male, Caucasian, in a very diverse population. Many had no local addresses, probably homeless and therefore easy targets . That's a high number. With Seattle and its suburbs populations, the numbers could be staggering... But I digress.

And as for "northwest serial killers", killers have cars, and move to other states and locales. A smart one wouldn't want to develop a string of killings with obvious patterns, don't you think?

And there are a few similar elements of the 4 I've noted;

Mondays
Middle Aged women
Caucasian
2 of 3 (possible 3 of 3 but no info on AK) were in water
Geographically close (I consider a 30 min drive-Monroe, close)
All incidents in semi-secluded/Wooded areas

Also TOTAL agreement on the scumbags. For the most part LE deals with the most sick members of our society, and most interactions are with people's worst behaviors even if they aren't super "crazy" or derelict.

Sorry this may be a dumb question but this lady . She is not any relation to the little boy missing from the camping trip or is she.I ask because of the last name does anyone know ?

I believe you are asking about DK? D is the first name of the missing little boy and not spelled the same as CD.

I think way back in thread one or two I posted about how I think it would be easy for people to not notice people walking on the sidewalk during their commutes. I commute to work and unless someone was doing something really unusual like walking in the street, riding their bike in a snowstorm, wearing crazy clothes, etc. I know for a fact that I wouldn't remember seeing them. Heck, I can barely remember what I ate for breakfast yesterday or if I drove up the street or down the street when I left for work so no, I don't remember if I passed someone just walking normally yesterday. I remember a guy in a white hat and bright red and white jacket but now that I think more about it, I'm not even sure I could say which morning this week I saw that guy. I remember what he was wearing because it was distinctive but nothing makes me remember which morning it was. I'm pretty much on auto-pilot on my drives to and from work.

O/T, I'm never surprised anymore by someone not seeing anything, here's why. Not only are people less aware of their surroundings these days imo bc they are on their cellphones, devices, wearing headphones, etc, but:

(I have mentioned this in other threads). I have stood in the exact same spot where little Jessica Ridgeway was abducted. Not only would it have been broad daylight in the morning time before school, but there would and should have been people out walking their dogs, driving to work, etc. The location is smack dab on a residential street in a family neighborhood. There are houses everywhere, very close together. To this day I'm amazed nobody saw ARS grab her off the street, throw her in the backseat, restrain her with zipties, and drive off. Things can happen so quickly.

This is a dedicated thread for the victim Cheryl DeBoer. Discussions about cases other than Cheryl's derail the thread and have been removed.

Please stay on-topic.

:tyou:

Regarding the relationship between mental illness and suicide, I'm going to rely on the publications of experts.

As I said, the statistics you provided weren't local, or at least for the state. There is a big variation between states:
QuickStats: Age-Adjusted* Suicide† Rates, by State ...

And the statistics don't show 100% have signs, so somewhere, there will be >0 suicides where there is no sign of mental illness, due to the breakup of a marriage, terminal illness, etc. The statistics don't decide how Cheryl's case will turn out, just the uncovered facts will, if they are ever uncovered.

As I said, the statistics you provided weren't local, or at least for the state. There is a big variation between states:
QuickStats: Age-Adjusted* Suicide† Rates, by State ...

And the statistics don't show 100% have signs, so somewhere, there will be >0 suicides where there is no sign of mental illness, due to the breakup of a marriage, terminal illness, etc. The statistics don't decide how Cheryl's case will turn out, just the uncovered facts will, if they are ever uncovered.

The uncovered facts may get uncovered but we may never know them.

You just validated some of my points... ONE case (MLT) doesn't equal a lot of experience.

That's not what I said, I said I remembered one recently. Maybe they had 50? I don't know, I just recalled one recently.

And undiscovered bodies lends to my point as well. How many unattended dates are there out there, right? In my previous community, of 164k population, there were easily 15-20 unattended deaths PER YEAR! They would post them in the newspaper, and it was actually a pattern there too because they were all late 40s and 50s, male, Caucasian, in a very diverse population. Many had no local addresses, probably homeless and therefore easy targets .

Or they were suicides...

With Seattle and its suburbs populations, the numbers could be staggering... But I digress.

The population of King County is roughly 2M, Snohomish County (where MLT is) is about 750,000.

And as for "northwest serial killers", killers have cars, and move to other states and locales. A smart one wouldn't want to develop a string of killings with obvious patterns, don't you think?

Well that's interesting you say that, because not only do they show repeated patterns, they tend to favor the same dump sites.
One of the reasons is their desire to revisit the corpses, for necrophelia or other reasons (I guess).

But of course there is always a first time for a site. The culvert doesn't fit the "classic NW serial killer" profile, they prefer to dump them in the undergrowth somewhere. BUT there are plenty of one off killings.

And there are a few similar elements of the 4 I've noted;

Mondays

One of the two most common days for suicides, according to recent stats:
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/sifter/suicide-most-common-two-days-week

Middle Aged women

page 24, 50-59 most prevalent age for FEMALE suicides in SnoCo 2014
http://wa-snohomishcounty.civicplus.com/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/4229

Of course, I wouldn't over-rely on statistics... facts are preferable.

All incidents in semi-secluded/Wooded areas

I wouldn't count the culvert as wooded, but it is somewhat secluded.

Also TOTAL agreement on the scumbags. For the most part LE deals with the most sick members of our society, and most interactions are with people's worst behaviors even if they aren't super "crazy" or derelict.

I recently met some serial killer victims (one escaped, one was a sister of a victim). Probably a mistake on my part, easy to feel a lot of empathy for them.

The uncovered facts may get uncovered but we may never know them.

Sure, but at least LE and the ME will use them to get as close as possible to a conclusion.
It is certainly also possible this death stays undetermined.

I'm only pointing out how some cases could operate in reverse. That's not to the fault of anyone. If there wasn't evidence to begin with or a clear motive..then there is a good chance, an actual motive won't be discovered if everyone stopped to assume there wasn't one, when there could actually be one.

Very true!! A great example (I can talk about this one) is a cold case I've been working on in my spare time with permission of the detectives. There's no ID of the victim, so it is hard to develop any motive without any evidence as a starting point (eg a gun, bullet, etc), or anything known about the victim.

It would only take a single piece of new evidence (eg a threatening letter) to change the entire direction of the investigation.

Euthanasia is something altogether different.

I believe euthanasia is painless, and at the hands of a physician.

I was talking about suicides. I've seen at least two where the subject had a terminal illness and chose suicide as the way out, to end their own suffering. Both males/firearms. So, not mentally ill, and committed suicide. I'm not aware of statistics being collected in the US on this, but in the UK it may be as high as 10%: http://www.theguardian.com/society/2011/aug/23/suicide-chronic-illness-study

Excuse my boldness but Cheryl DeBoer disappeared 8 February and was found 14 February. IT is now the 3rd April and I can't help thinking that the MLT police have been doing a poor and very strange job about this crime.

Based on?

It is unusual to see such aparrently casual behavior from the LE as IMO we have been seeing here. So...

Such as?

Mountlake Terrace Police Department, are you done with your investigation related to Cheryl DeBoer's death and do you go on with your ridiculous theory of suicide or can you look at this crime properly, ask for help from the FBI if necessary and try to discover once and for all who killed this lady?
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...29601+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari

"Detectives are waiting for results from other prongs of the investigation. Computers are being analyzed by forensic experts with the Everett Police Department. The U.S. Marshal's office is examining cellphone records and where calls were made based on pings from cellphone towers. The Washington State Patrol Crime Lab continues to analyze evidence, including the plastic bag itself and the origins of drops of blood found in her car.
“I know people want answers now, but it takes time,” Wilson said. “I could see it taking several months before we get all of this back. It's not the one-hour crime drama we see on TV.”"

Has the ME ever given a time of death? Was Cheryl in the culvert the whole time she was missing?

I think the cause of death will be listed as undetermined.JMO. There was such an uproar when the autopsy report was read, I think we will be told when the tox report comes back it was clean, nothing to report. LE has nothing to point that this was clearly a suicide, just like they have nothing to point that it was a homicide. Does a person have to have marks or bruises on them to prove it was a murder? Perhaps Cheryl was a person who didn't bruise easily or
the perp purposely didn't leave marks on her.

My opinions only.

Very true!! A great example (I can talk about this one) is a cold case I've been working on in my spare time with permission of the detectives. There's no ID of the victim, so it is hard to develop any motive without any evidence as a starting point (eg a gun, bullet, etc), or anything known about the victim.

It would only take a single piece of new evidence (eg a threatening letter) to change the entire direction of the investigation.

I saw a Dateline, i think it was, where it took years to get multiple people convicted. They had spread out from each other, but alll it took after time had passed, was putting some paranoia into one of the perps head, like the police were back..and know more now..So that guy calls the other perps, they start talking. They were mouse trapped.

It's interesting how on 48 hours, some guilty people just talk and talk...if they know police have evidence...
While some other guilty people, just stay silent, even if police had the weapon used, or a surveillance video, whatever it may be. And in the end, it wasn't somehow enough for a conviction or trial. And I think, "huh, that idiot was smart. Why don't the other people shut up?"

Not here, we get many suicides with people that have no history of mental illness, no drugs. I don't know what geographic regions your statistics are for, but suicidal behavior varies a lot by location. Alaska, for example, higher frequency, and more firearm suicides.

If you came to me with a story that you were looking for a person, and we find them with no history of mental illness, and no drugs, I would say totally possible it is suicide. Jilted spouses, failed businesspeople, you name it. Plenty of non mental health reasons why people kill themselves.

Plenty of people are jilted by their spouses and/or have a failed business, and do not kill themselves. I think the ones that do kill themselves might do so because of a mental disorder, most likely. JMO :cow:

Has the ME ever given a time of death? Was Cheryl in the culvert the whole time she was missing?

I think the cause of death will be listed as undetermined.JMO. There was such an uproar when the autopsy report was read, I think we will be told when the tox report comes back it was clean, nothing to report. LE has nothing to point that this was clearly a suicide, just like they have nothing to point that it was a homicide. Does a person have to have marks or bruises on them to prove it was a murder? Perhaps Cheryl was a person who didn't bruise easily or
the perp purposely didn't leave marks on her.

My opinions only.

I think it was said by her son, that she had been in the culvert since that Monday. But I don't think it has been detailed, about what time/hour this happened. I'm sure there is at least a time range???

You can tell a lot from a bruise. And not all bruises hurt, or became a bruise from getting hurt. So I have no clue, what bruises look like under the skin, at the point of contact, or what they can tell was from violence. Violence comes with its own range of force. Brutal all the way to ouch. So I have no clue. Is there a bruise expert here??

Plenty of people are jilted by their spouses and/or have a failed business, and do not kill themselves. I think the ones that do kill themselves might do so because of a mental disorder, most likely. JMO :cow:

I don't think so!
Some ppl just cant deal with things. And some ppl can.
some are more emotional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member