GUILTY WA - Jamie Drake, 19, Spokane, 23 June 2006

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hinebaughs said:
I wonder why, after supposedly drinking with those four people and getting into an argument with them, did he decide to go to Jamie's apartment? And why did he end up getting in an argument or angry with her? Did he need a ride somewhere and wanted her to drive him or borrow her car? What made him so angry with her that he strangled her? It's just so sad and such a waste of a beautiful life that I'm just angry beyond belief. She seemed like an awesome person and very well liked. Her myspace page was respectful and clean, meaning I've seen my own daughters and her friends and the language there as most of them I've seen are full of disrespect, foul language, etc. Obviously he took her car to hide her body, but for goodness sakes to keep driving it around town for a week? Shows what frame of mind he was in... how did he think he would not get linked to the crime. Thank God he was stupid and justice will be served quickly for her and her family.

He may have actually gone over to the apartment to see Jamie's roommate that he used to date but she wasn't there and Jamie was. Something was said about him doing it because she wouldn't date him. I think it was because he wanted to drive her car or borrow it and she refused. Could have been a little of both though. She was a beautiful girl and he was a homely little guy of which she probably wasn't the least bit interested in. That probably ticked him off and maybe he had just enough to drink that he got mad and strangled her. I wonder how he got her out of the apartment or did she drive him some place and he didn't kill her in the apt. We may never have an answer.

I'm glad that he just kept driving her car and that he was seen obviously without Jamie in the car. It could be that she didn't let anyone drive her car so these other young people really picked up on that. Can you imagine him taking her body to his mom's summer cabin and burying her under the floor!
What if he hadn't shown LE where she was and a week or so later his mom went to spend the weekend at the cabin. My gosh, she would have discoverd Jamie's body because of the smell. That would have been horrible.

Any updates on this one?

July 25
SPOKANE -- The man accused of killing a Spokane teenager now faces ten new charges and prosecutors say suspect Kevin Newland's motive for killing 19-year-old Jaime Drake was more than just stealing her car.

Drake was suffocated more than a month ago but only now are investigators revealing what they believe were Newland’s motivations for murdering Jamie Drake.

New court documents filed Tuesday in Spokane Superior Court show Jamie Drake was not only murdered for her car but also her good credit rating with her suspected killer going on a wild shopping spree using her credit cards.

Newland learned Tuesday he now faces 13 criminal charges – most of forgeries – and many of them committed in Spokane at NorthTown Mall. Jamie Drake had been dead less than 24 hours when Newland allegedly treated himself to three different movies at the Regal Cinemas using her stolen credit card.

More at link:

http://www.kxly.com/index.php?sect_rank=1&section_id=559&story_id=3865

He suffocated her with a plastic bag. Then after hiding her body treated himself to THREE movies and a shopping spree with her credit cards. He plead not-guilty, authorities say he will have to change that plea due to the fact that several stores have him on video shopping with her cards. Two video clips in the link contain more info and of him before the judge.

I have not found anything more recent than this. Still watching.

What a worthless little punk. I'm not a detective but I still think that his motive for killing Jamie was for her car. I think that after she was dead he found the credit cards and decided to go on a shopping spree. I don't know how he would have been aware that she even had credit cards before he murdered her or at least when he took control of her. She was young to have credit cards. I think he probably just thought he hit the jack pot when he found those cards.

I hope when this punk gets to prison that he makes a whole lot of new butt buddies. Those criminals will hang on to the bars of their cages and howl when they see this young kid coming in. They love that young stuff. He will deserve everything he gets too. Maybe he will begin to understand the pain he put Jamie through...for no good reason. I hope he gets LWOP.

Kevin Newland was found guilty yesterday for the murder of the young and beautiful 19 year old, Jamie Lynn Drake.

The jurors didn't agree that it was premeditated, thus sparing him a stiffer sentence or perhaps even the death penalty. He is expected to get somewhere between 34 and 45 years, I think. Not long enough.

His sentencing is set for sometime in October.

Here is the link to the KXLY story:
http://www.kxly.com/news/?sect_rank=2&section_id=560&story_id=14104

Such a beautiful sweet girl. That creep didn't get near enough time and it should have been premeditated murder. Maybe someone will do away with him in prison.

SPOKANE, Wash. - A judge has sentenced Kevin Newland to the maximum sentence of 548 months in prison for the murder of Jamie Lynn Drake. That works out to about 45 and a half years behind bars.
Last month a jury found Kevin Newland, charged in connection with the death of 19-year-old Jamie Lynn Drake who disappeared June 23rd of last year, guilty on 12 counts including Murder in the First Degree.
http://www.khq.com/Global/story.asp?S=7239283

I know this thread is very old, but I just wanted to update anyone who is still around that once posted regarding Jamie Drakes murder that her sleazebag killer was shot & killed by prison officials yesterday when he attempted to escape. I guess you could call that poetic justice for what he did to that young girl. Below is also a link to an interview with Jamie's mom regarding her feelings on the latest news. She is a more forgiving mother than I could ever be to someone who murdered my child.
Tracey in Baltimore, MD

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/124721424.html#13094272377661&if_height=279

http://www.krem.com/news/local/Jamie-Drakes-mother--124748614.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member