WA WA - Leah Roberts, 23, Whatcom Co, 13 Mar 2000

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
if i'm recalling correctly, i thought that he did come home at some point during his 6 month Egypt assignment, though i will need to look into that further.

I’m not sure if this is what you’re thinking of or not, but on TCBS, Josh said not that Keyes was necessarily back at some point during that deployment, but that he couldn’t rule out the possibility that he was.

If I remember correctly, he was specifically talking about it in relation to Leah Roberts as a potential victim, although he doesn’t think it’s likely that she actually is one. I want to say it was in one of the most recent like 5 or 6 episodes, but I’m not 100% on that.

Is there a way to look up specific crime reports for vehicle thefts and break-ins in Maple Falls and Glacier around 1999-2000?

I've been thinking lately about the marks on the exterior driver's side door that police thought could have been from someone trying to pry open the door. If Leah actually *did* make it out of Bellingham alive and decided to drive out to Mt. Baker, she might have decided the spend the night in Glacier and sleep in her car before continuing up the mountain in the daylight. What if someone thought the car was empty, not realizing she was asleep inside, and tried to steal it? If she woke up and confronted them, there could have been an altercation that lead to her death, and the culprit could have ditched the car nearby off of Canyon Creek Road.

I still need to drive over there! I know police extensive searched the area where the car was found, but does anyone know if they searched with cadaver dogs any other areas around Glacier/Maple Falls?

The local police departments might be able to provide you with information on break-ins.

Those marks on her car look like someone had tried to pry it open with something, but I don't think they've been able to identify what.

One of the things her brother (I think it was her brother/might have been her sister or roommate) mentioned was that her mother's ring was left behind, and Leah didn't go anywhere without it. Although, if she did crash and was disorientated then there's a possibility it could have been left behind.

They did use cadaver dogs to look for her according to Wikipedia but didn't find any trace of her. There was a mummified body found in the same region in 2014 but wasn't identified as Leah. Not sure if it has ever been identified. All I know is it's a white male between 33 - 55 years old.

Is there a way to look up specific crime reports for vehicle thefts and break-ins in Maple Falls and Glacier around 1999-2000?

I've been thinking lately about the marks on the exterior driver's side door that police thought could have been from someone trying to pry open the door. If Leah actually *did* make it out of Bellingham alive and decided to drive out to Mt. Baker, she might have decided the spend the night in Glacier and sleep in her car before continuing up the mountain in the daylight. What if someone thought the car was empty, not realizing she was asleep inside, and tried to steal it? If she woke up and confronted them, there could have been an altercation that lead to her death, and the culprit could have ditched the car nearby off of Canyon Creek Road.

I still need to drive over there! I know police extensive searched the area where the car was found, but does anyone know if they searched with cadaver dogs any other areas around Glacier/Maple Falls?

The local police departments might be able to provide you with information on break-ins.

Those marks on her car look like someone had tried to pry it open with something, but I don't think they've been able to identify what.

One of the things her brother (I think it was her brother/might have been her sister or roommate) mentioned was that her mother's ring was left behind, and Leah didn't go anywhere without it. Although, if she did crash and was disorientated then there's a possibility it could have been left behind.

They did use cadaver dogs to look for her according to Wikipedia but didn't find any trace of her. There was a mummified body found in the same region in 2014 but wasn't identified as Leah. Not sure if it has ever been identified. All I know is it's a white male between 33 - 55 years old.

For myself, I'm ruling out keys. I believe the guy she was seen with was IDd and moved to Canada and is uncooperative. Singularly, keys motivation was murder, robbery, sexual assault in that order. There's no way in my mind he wouldn't have gone through everything, even food or equipment would have value to him.

Leah Toby Roberts, 23 missing since 13 March 2000
leah_toby_roberts_1.jpg
leah_toby_roberts_2.jpg
leah_toby_roberts_3.jpg
leah_toby_roberts_4.jpg
leah_toby_roberts_5.jpg

LINK:

Leah Toby Roberts – The Charley Project

Leah’s story is so *advertiser censored* sad.

I’ve wondered if someone made her wreck, like another vehicle chasing after her or pushing her off the road.

I’ve also considered if some sick spotted Leah somewhere, followed her, chased after her, made her crash and then kidnapped her.

Another possibility is what if the person was already in the car when she got into her car. Attacked her and that caused Leah to crash?

For myself, I'm ruling out keys. I believe the guy she was seen with was IDd and moved to Canada and is uncooperative. Singularly, keys motivation was murder, robbery, sexual assault in that order. There's no way in my mind he wouldn't have gone through everything, even food or equipment would have value to him.

I too share the same view as you regarding the uncooperative man that moved to Canada. If I recall, he had given LE a story about another man sitting on the other side of her that I don’t think they could ever verify. And I also believe when they finally figured out her vehicle had been tampered with, that same man was reported to have knowledge of how to do it.

Leah’s story stays with me. Just something about her. I have seen mention several times of unidentified remains with similar leg hardware she was known to have after having her accident. However some of the information doesn’t fit with Leah. I often wonder how often mistakes are made by examiners. Does anyone know If that has ever been looked into further regarding the remains?

I just decided to see if it's possible to look through unidentified persons and did a search on bing for unidentified bodies washington state

This image came up: unidentified bodies washington state - Bing images

Unfortunately when I go to the site listed it doesn't say anything about it. Sure looks like her though.

i saved the photo and put it in reverse image search and it brought me to a body found in TN back in 1981.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Recently saw the UM segment featuring the tragic LR case. Extremely sad. LR had already lost both her parents, and then she herself disappeared - thereby leaving her remaining family with another void. From doing research, this definitely seems like it's one of the more popular missing persons cases out there - probably due to the strange aspects surrounding the disappearance & that there are so few clues to tell us what actually happened.

I do find it interesting that LR left her home on the trip to WA without telling anyone where she was going or what she was doing. However, prior to this it does look like she kept in touch with her family & friends, so I seriously doubt that she would have stayed out of touch with them for long - unless she wasn't able to. And, she had mentioned wanting to go on the trip to WA to a friend so did give someone a clue as to where she was going.

The UM segment speculated that LR could have hit her head when the jeep crashed, and then she wandered off in a daze/disoriented. Yes, it's possible. However, if this did happen I don't think she would have lasted long on her own in the wilderness - unless she was picked up by someone (possibly with a nefarious purpose) and taken.

Going along with this, the other possibility is that she was abducted/kidnapped by someone that she was in her car with. I.e., maybe she gave a hitch-hiker (or else someone she met on her travels, at a rest stop for example) a ride, and then they later tried to assault her - causing the car to crash. They then took her against her will away from the area.

Several other points:

-The UM segment mentioned that soon after LR's disappearance, someone called the authorities to report that they saw a woman who was disoriented (matching LR's appearance) at a local bar?! However, apparently the person hung up the phone before the authorities could get any information. Without further information - I believe this was probably a red herring/false lead. But, there's obviously no way to tell for sure.

-The UM segment also mentioned that since blankets had been put up against the broken windows of the jeep, it looked like someone had used the jeep for shelter. Very possible. However, it may not have been LR. Maybe someone passing through (a hiker, etc.) wanted to get in the jeep to get out of the elements, etc. - and thereby put the blankets on the windows.

I suspect she's deceased at this point - unfortunately. However, with no body there is a slim possibility she's still alive somewhere.

I've been following this case for many years and wanted to submit some of my own ramblings to add onto this ever growing pile of sad confusion... Unfortunately I only bring more questions :/

- Was it ever pointed out around what timeframe her car crashed? She saw American Beauty until 4:10 PM on 13/03, she then went and had dinner, at least an hour ride to the crash site, this dinner is the last event we are aware of before the car crash?
- She has a camera in her car as seen in the Disappeared documentary, did anyone ever look if it has pictures?
- Was CCTV footage available/checked around the mall area / restaurant / cinema / road towards the mountain? This would easily confirm whether there really was a second guy.
- I wonder what fingerprints are on the cat box thing, as well as her ring... someone must've let Bea out, either she did that voluntarily, or someone else did.
- As far as I know fingerprints from the guy who moved to Canada were compared against the "tamperings" on the car, were they tried on other places? Were there only traces of male DNA found on the car tampering?
- I would love to hear a recording of that "tip" in which she was supposedly seen in a confused state and not knowing who she was. Are things like that archived at least?
- I would also love to see more details on that Jane Doe that was discovered in 2014. A metal rod on the same place as she had, from the same timeframe as she had her surgery, the skeleton being pretty much the same height as her, found at around the same place as her crash site.... the coincidences are just too much. What state were the remains in? Physical evaluation might have mistaken the remains to be male. DNA evaluation might have been botched. Who found it, and was it at an easy to spot place? If so, when did it appear? Surely there are details of her implant/surgery that this can be compared with... There's only 3 reports of Jane Doe's in Whatcom County, I'd put money on this being her.
- Canada guy is sus AF. Even with his supposed "statement" he seems extremely annoyed that people want to get information out of him. Bro, your experiences with her could lead to finding a person, I'd be ok with any test they throw at me. Also him being held at gunpoint seems ridiculous unless there was reason for arrest. This is assuming those comments made a while ago were actually from the guy. If the recording of the tip is available, compare their voice? Use AI to enhance the audio?

Seems like pretty obvious things to check but considering they didn't even pop the car hood until 7 years later, makes me wonder how much they have missed. Did nobody in those 7 years wonder if the crash might have been a setup? Seriously???

Now for some of my theories (some of these might be far fetched but yknow, life has its ways)...

- As far as I understand there was pretty heavy rain during those days, and she was going fast at around 35 mph up a small mountain road, assuming it was night during the crash visibility would've been terrible and she had no knowledge of the area (and possibly no experience with small roads like this) .
There's a good chance she crashed by accident. Why was she going so fast?
- Car could've been tampered with.
- The crash site was around 1 hour from the cinema, there's definitely a gap in between there and when the tampering would've been done. Also people with car knowledge have pointed out that the modifications done didn't necessarily have to make the car accelerate by itself, as was suggested in the investigation.

A. Car wasn't rigged, instead she was being followed.
- Was one of the "bar guys" following her?
- Perhaps she was trying to escape, and lost control over the vehicle. Maybe she didn't see the corner where she went off the track.
- Why was she even going up this path? It leads to nowhere from what I can tell. Some people pointed out it leads to the foot of the mountain and she would've continued on foot. Not sure if I buy it. Either she didn't know where she was going or someone dumped the car in a "remote area". There not being blood shouldn't be proof of anything, and it shouldn't immediately rule out her being in the crash...
- If I remember correctly no tire slip marks were found that would appear if she had tried to break before the crash, so this might invalidate this theory, but she could've realized her mistake too late to react to it.
- Perhaps she was sleeping up on the road, and someone simply pushed the car down into the ditch. Probably would've woken up though in time to react.
- Could explain the pry marks on her door. If she was still conscious and well enough to think, she may have locked the doors. Person chasing her would've had to either smash the glass or pry the door open with a crowbar / large screwdriver. Looks more like a crowbar to me.
- Although I think the glass was smashed from the crash.. so then there may not have been a point to get the door open, maybe the window was too small to get her out?
- A struggle while she was in the car seems unlikely, some signs of blood in the car would definitely have been expected.
- If she was unconcious though, it may have been as simple as getting the door open and removing her from the vehicle, not touching anything else, leaving behind the cash, passport, etc. Fake tip with "panicked" ending to throw off police, and voila.

B. She crashed by accident.
- She may have suffered a concussion, lost consciousness for a while, etc. People can easily forget what happened just before the event and even forget who they are, where they are for a longer time. Adrenaline rushes can also make people want to leave immediately after a serious injury/trauma, and they may not feel the pain/realize things are broken until they come to their senses a while later.
- This could back-up the "tip", that she was seen in a confused state not knowing who she was. Although, if I'd meet a person in such a state of distress, I would immediately rush them to the hospital? Seems rather heartless to just leave her there.
- If she lost any sense of direction, she may have just started walking around, possibly going deeper in the forest. She may have gotten lost, had no food, wild animals could've found her, you see where this is going.
- Might work best with the "she camped in the car after the crash" assumption.
- Someone might've then taken advantage of her while she was weak, offered her a ride home, etc. God, humanity sucks.

C. The car crash was staged by someone else.
- Her car must have been fine for at least another hour to reach the point of the crash.
- She could've been somewhere else completely (if only we had more CCTV footage of her car in that area...), someone took advantage of her, and then dumped the car somewhere remote. This would likely have revealed more fingerprints though. Why would they use gloves on the steering wheel but not when tampering with the car? The tampering could still be completely unrelated as well.

D. The car crash was staged by herself.
- She spoke to people about her plans for soul searching, and how she wanted to start a new life
- Perhaps the men at the bar convinced her the only true way to find her soul is to abandon everything, including her most dear possessions. They may have then come up with a "plan" to crash her car and stage the scene.
- Maybe she had a change of heart along the way and had already decided she was going to abandon everything. She had a long time to think about everything that happened and her intentions going into this trip. Perhaps the bar guy simply helped her with the car crash staging.
- Another thing to consider is how she stopped using her debit card after buying gas in Oregon. What caused her to switch to cash? She may have intentionally left a trail, figured she was now in the general area where she wanted to be, so gone is the debit card. Maybe just then realized she could be traced, and didn't want to be. Maybe just ran out of money on the debit card?
While an option, I hiiiiighly doubt this one, she doesn't seem like someone who would leave her family behind like this, who would leave all cash behind, even if she wanted to start a new life.
I like to think she is still living somewhere up in the mountains though :)

Another thing I wanted to note;
In the Disappeared episode, we see CCTV footage of Leah at the gas station In Oregon. It is pointed out she is looking at something, we can't see what. Imho this is severely overdramatized, as she is probably just checking what pump number she has. You can also see the cashier point in the same direction, she would've helped her as she could easily identify the pump number. I don't think there is a reason to suspect anything out of the ordinary here.

All around such a mysterious case, every theory I come up with there's one reason or another to doubt it. There's also just such a lack of (public) details on the evidence. Hope the family finds closure some day...

Last edited:
I've been following this case for many years and wanted to submit some of my own ramblings to add onto this ever growing pile of sad confusion... Unfortunately I only bring

- Was it ever pointed out around what timeframe her car crashed? She saw American Beauty until 4:10 PM on 13/03, she then went and had dinner, at least an hour ride to the crash site, this dinner is the last event we are aware of before the car crash?
- She has a camera in her car as seen in the Disappeared documentary, did anyone ever look if it has pictures?
- Was CCTV footage available/checked around the mall area / restaurant / cinema / road towards the mountain? This would easily confirm whether there really was a second guy.
- I wonder what fingerprints are on the cat box thing, as well as her ring... someone must've let Bea out, either she did that voluntarily, or someone else did.
- As far as I know fingerprints from the guy who moved to Canada were compared against the "tamperings" on the car, were they tried on other places? Were there only traces of male DNA found on the car tampering?
- I would love to hear a recording of that "tip" in which she was supposedly seen in a confused state and not knowing who she was. Are things like that archived at least?
- I would also love to see more details on that Jane Doe that was discovered in 2014. A metal rod on the same place as she had, from the same timeframe as she had her surgery, the skeleton being pretty much the same height as her, found at around the same place as her crash site.... the coincidences are just too ******* much. What state were the remains in? Physical evaluation might have mistaken the remains to be male. DNA evaluation might have been botched. Who found it, and was it at an easy to spot place? If so, when did it appear? Surely there are details of her implant/surgery that this can be compared with... There's only 3 reports of Jane Doe's in Whatcom County, I'd put money on this being her.
- Canada guy is sus AF. Even with his supposed "statement" he seems extremely annoyed that people want to get information out of him. Bro, your experiences with her could lead to finding a person, I'd be ok with any ******* test they throw at me. Also him being held at gunpoint seems ridiculous unless there was reason for arrest. This is assuming those comments made a while ago were actually from the guy. If the recording of the tip is available, compare their voice? Use AI to enhance the audio?

Seems like pretty obvious things to check but considering they didn't even pop the car hood until 7 years later, makes me wonder how much they have missed. Did nobody in those 7 years wonder if the crash might have been a setup? Seriously???

Now for some of my theories (some of these might be far fetched but yknow, life has its ways)...

- As far as I understand there was pretty heavy rain during those days, and she was going fast at around 35 mph up a small mountain road, assuming it was night during the crash visibility would've been terrible and she had no knowledge of the area (and possibly no experience with small roads like this) .
There's a good chance she crashed by accident. Why was she going so fast?
- Car could've been tampered with.
- The crash site was around 1 hour from the cinema, there's definitely a gap in between there and when the tampering would've been done. Also people with car knowledge have pointed out that the modifications done didn't necessarily have to make the car accelerate by itself, as was suggested in the investigation.

A. Car wasn't rigged, instead she was being followed.
- Was one of the "bar guys" following her?
- Perhaps she was trying to escape, and lost control over the vehicle. Maybe she didn't see the corner where she went off the track.
- Why was she even going up this path? It leads to nowhere from what I can tell. Some people pointed out it leads to the foot of the mountain and she would've continued on foot. Not sure if I buy it. Either she didn't know where she was going or someone dumped the car in a "remote area". There not being blood shouldn't be proof of anything, and it shouldn't immediately rule out her being in the crash...
- If I remember correctly no tire slip marks were found that would appear if she had tried to break before the crash, so this might invalidate this theory, but she could've realized her mistake too late to react to it.
- Perhaps she was sleeping up on the road, and someone simply pushed the car down into the ditch. Probably would've woken up though in time to react.
- Could explain the pry marks on her door. If she was still conscious and well enough to think, she may have locked the doors. Person chasing her would've had to either smash the glass or pry the door open with a crowbar / large screwdriver. Looks more like a crowbar to me.
- Although I think the glass was smashed from the crash.. so then there may not have been a point to get the door open, maybe the window was too small to get her out?
- A struggle while she was in the car seems unlikely, some signs of blood in the car would definitely have been expected.
- If she was unconcious though, it may have been as simple as getting the door open and removing her from the vehicle, not touching anything else, leaving behind the cash, passport, etc. Fake tip with "panicked" ending to throw off police, and voila.

B. She crashed by accident.
- She may have suffered a concussion, lost consciousness for a while, etc. People can easily forget what happened just before the event and even forget who they are, where they are for a longer time. Adrenaline rushes can also make people want to leave immediately after a serious injury/trauma, and they may not feel the pain/realize things are broken until they come to their senses a while later.
- This could back-up the "tip", that she was seen in a confused state not knowing who she was. Although, if I'd meet a person in such a state of distress, I would immediately rush them to the hospital? Seems rather heartless to just leave her there.
- If she lost any sense of direction, she may have just started walking around, possibly going deeper in the forest. She may have gotten lost, had no food, wild animals could've found her, you see where this is going.
- Might work best with the "she camped in the car after the crash" assumption.
- Someone might've then taken advantage of her while she was weak, offered her a ride home, etc. God, humanity sucks.

C. The car crash was staged by someone else.
- Her car must have been fine for at least another hour to reach the point of the crash.
- She could've been somewhere else completely (if only we had more CCTV footage of her car in that area...), someone took advantage of her, and then dumped the car somewhere remote. This would likely have revealed more fingerprints though. Why would they use gloves on the steering wheel but not when tampering with the car? The tampering could still be completely unrelated as well.

D. The car crash was staged by herself.
- She spoke to people about her plans for soul searching, and how she wanted to start a new life
- Perhaps the men at the bar convinced her the only true way to find her soul is to abandon everything, including her most dear possessions. They may have then come up with a "plan" to crash her car and stage the scene.
- Maybe she had a change of heart along the way and had already decided she was going to abandon everything. She had a long time to think about everything that happened and her intentions going into this trip. Perhaps the bar guy simply helped her with the car crash staging.
- Another thing to consider is how she stopped using her debit card after buying gas in Oregon. What caused her to switch to cash? She may have intentionally left a trail, figured she was now in the general area where she wanted to be, so gone is the debit card. Maybe just then realized she could be traced, and didn't want to be. Maybe just ran out of money on the debit card?
While an option, I hiiiiighly doubt this one, she doesn't seem like someone who would leave her family behind like this, who would leave all cash behind, even if she wanted to start a new life.
I like to think she is still living somewhere up in the mountains though :)

Another thing I wanted to note;
In the Disappeared episode, we see CCTV footage of Leah at the gas station In Oregon. It is pointed out she is looking at something, we can't see what. Imho this is severely overdramatized, as she is probably just checking what pump number she has. You can also see the cashier point in the same direction, she would've helped her as she could easily identify the pump number. I don't think there is a reason to suspect anything out of the ordinary here.

All around such a mysterious case, every theory I come up with there's one reason or another to doubt it. There's also just such a lack of (public) details on the evidence. Hope the family finds closure some day...

Good thorough ponderings, but can you post a link to the UID of 2014 you refer to? Thanks.

Good thorough ponderings, but can you post a link to the UID of 2014 you refer to? Thanks.

Sure, this is the NamUs case:

It was first reported about on Reddit:
I have found an extremely unlikely coincidence involving the disappearance of Leah Roberts and a Whatcom County Doe. [Unexplained Disappearance] : UnresolvedMysteries (reddit.com)

Since the first report the case has moved to NamUs and during that move some details have been made private exclusive to professionals in the sector (like the rod in the right femur). Kind of boggles my mind that details on unidentified persons would be made private, every bit of info could help someone identify them?

I have found an extremely unlikely coincidence involving the disappearance of Leah Roberts and a Whatcom County Doe. [Unexplained Disappearance] : UnresolvedMysteries (reddit.com)

Since the first report the case has moved to NamUs and during that move some details have been made private exclusive to professionals in the sector (like the rod in the right femur). Kind of boggles my mind that details on unidentified persons would be made private, every bit of info could help someone identify them?

I wonder what it takes to get a UID re-examined because like you, I too agree that it's a good possibility this is Leah. I faintly remember reading that Leah's rod had identifiable numbers on it that are somewhat unique to the surgical parts however I believe they are identified by the company who makes them and then they are tracked by what region of the US they were sent out to. If I recall correctly, someone had stated only a few (if not just her possibly) were sent out to her location around that time period. Her location being where her surgery was performed. With that being said, I had thought they listed the number of the surgical part on the old UID listed and don't believe it was the same. Of course, we don't have medical records of Leah to confirm. My thoughts tho are that being human, we have to be open to the idea of human error and if the sex was mislabeled during autopsy, who's to say the rod ID wasn't recorded wrong as well.

Secondly, being in the medical field and my interest in the missing, I have read many articles regarding examining human remains and this is not something that is easily done as some might think. One a skeleton, it can be hard to determine especially if age is unknown and depending on the build of the person when alive. Mistakes have been made quite often. They can perform some tests that are able to narrow down more specifics however I believe they may be costly and take a good amount of time. Leah was young and had not had any children that I know of. I think it would be worth giving the UID in question another look.

thank you for your post. I enjoyed reading it and considering some new theories and revisiting some unanswered questions.

Thank you but it seems the UID was found to be a male a decade or more older than Leah, despite the rod in femur similarity.

Thank you but it seems the UID was found to be a male a decade or more older than Leah, despite the rod in femur similarity.
There is a chance the gender was misidentified (it depends on the type of identification and how decomposed the remains were, but it happens relatively often apparently). The age range could be nothing more than a rough estimate.
It's also possible she was alive for say 10 more years before ending up there, which would bring her in the age range of the estimate. Unlikely, but you never know.
The gender/age identifications are all "determined" or estimated, whereas the height, rod and location of the remains are solid facts that match her specific details. It could all still be a coincidence of course and not be related to her.

I wonder what it takes to get a UID re-examined because like you, I too agree that it's a good possibility this is Leah. I faintly remember reading that Leah's rod had identifiable numbers on it that are somewhat unique to the surgical parts however I believe they are identified by the company who makes them and then they are tracked by what region of the US they were sent out to. If I recall correctly, someone had stated only a few (if not just her possibly) were sent out to her location around that time period. Her location being where her surgery was performed. With that being said, I had thought they listed the number of the surgical part on the old UID listed and don't believe it was the same. Of course, we don't have medical records of Leah to confirm. My thoughts tho are that being human, we have to be open to the idea of human error and if the sex was mislabeled during autopsy, who's to say the rod ID wasn't recorded wrong as well.

Secondly, being in the medical field and my interest in the missing, I have read many articles regarding examining human remains and this is not something that is easily done as some might think. One a skeleton, it can be hard to determine especially if age is unknown and depending on the build of the person when alive. Mistakes have been made quite often. They can perform some tests that are able to narrow down more specifics however I believe they may be costly and take a good amount of time. Leah was young and had not had any children that I know of. I think it would be worth giving the UID in question another look.

thank you for your post. I enjoyed reading it and considering some new theories and revisiting some unanswered questions.

Thanks! I too vaguely remember the serial number was not a match, but I don't really recall what it didn't match with. I don't think anyone has checked it directly against Leah's records.
I'm curious tho what circumstances the remains were found in. Were there any clothing items? Jewelry? What position was it found in? Were the bones together or scattered? I assume search teams would've found the body if it was there around the time of the accident, or even a few years later.

Thinking more about the anonymous tip, I'm on the verge of disregarding that altogether. The sighting was in Everett, WA, which is about a 2 hr car drive from where her car crashed, it makes no sense for her to be there. If her car crashed and she'd be on foot it would take her multiple days to get there. If she was hitching (and in the confused state she was said to be in) why would anyone drop her there and not at a hospital? If the crash was staged and she was taken somewhere, why would she be there, alone, and confused?

I'm trying to catch up again on this case. There are so many dead links and the findleah.org web site is also long gone. There seems to be a somewhat dormant FB page and a handful of youtube videos now with bits and pieces of information. The Charley Project page has info but not all of it is correct. Leah Toby Roberts – The Charley Project

From there: "Roberts dropped out of college in Durham, North Carolina during her senior year in 2000 and spent most of her time at Cup 'O Joe, a coffeehouse in the city." AFAIK she was a student at NC State U which is in nearby Raleigh. Likewise, the Cup A Joe is in Raleigh and near NCSU. Maybe this is unimportant, but just want set the story straight.

Also, there seems to be confusing info about the bar/restaurant she ate at. Apparently the movie theater in Bellingham is gone. Was this the bar? It was referenced much earlier in the thread: Man at his best; Travel

One other bit of misinformation. If you go to this NamUs link to the (male?) UID with the rod in the femur, there is an image that clearly shows the serial number for the insert. There might be one digit that's not clear, but it's not "private" information. Maybe the OP missed the images. What may not be known, however, was Leah's own insert serial number for comparison.
rsbm

Also, there seems to be confusing info about the bar/restaurant she ate at. Apparently the movie theater in Bellingham is gone. Was this the bar? It was referenced much earlier in the thread: Man at his best; Travel
RSBM

I live in Bellingham. Yes, the movie theater at Bellis Fair Mall is long gone. There's a Chipotle and some other things in that spot now.

The Disappeared show on Investigation Discovery, said she went to "the mall's only sit-down restaurant," Elephant and Castle, after the movie. It's been gone for a long time now, too. It was an affordable mall restaurant with "old British" decor, decent food, and a nice little bar. I think they closed in the early 2000s. It was on the opposite side of the food court from the theater.

The bar in the article you linked isn't very near the mall. It is interesting, because, yep, three different serial killers coincidentally visited it over a span of time! That's just bonkers. But it's really no more dangerous than any other dive bar or tavern in the US. And, they make some of the the best fish and chips in town!

Last edited:
Five years ago, I suggested this serial killer as a possible suspect in the disappearance of Leah Roberts. He is currently incarcerated for murdering a girl in the close vicinity of where Leah was last seen and where her car was abandoned.

upload_2020-6-13_19-34-47-jpeg.251167

James Allen Kinney, born 11 September 1949

Convicted murderer serving a life sentence in Washington State.

Inmate 835603 Washington State DOC

James Allen Kinney
Alias: Jerome Romano Porrovecchio
Date of birth: September 11, 1949
Classification: Murderer
Characteristics: Rape - Mutilation - Vietnam War veteran with a history of mental illness
Number of victims: 3 +
Date of known murders: 1997 - 1998
Date of arrest: 2001
Victims profile: Young women
Method of murder: Beating to death
Status: Sentenced to life in prion without parole in Washington on January 2002

Kinney, then 50, first came to the attention of police in Washington following the 1998 murder of Keri Lynne Sherlock, a 20-year-old Braintree, Massachussetts, woman who was visiting relatives in Bellingham.

Sherlock was raped and her body mutilated in what authorities called a ritualistic sexual manner. Detectives in Whatcom County found papers in a vehicle abandoned near Sherlock's body that belonged to Kinney...

LINKS:

James Allen Kinney | Murderpedia, the encyclopedia of murderers

WA/MI/IA/VA - James Allen Kinney, 1997-1998 murders

POLICE SEEK SUSPECT IN 3 DEATHS

https://taylormia.wordpress.com/2009/06/10/part-ii-judge-moved-to-tears-as-keris-family-speaks/

Keri Sherlock PART III – Two Faces of a Killer

Inmate Search | Washington State Department of Corrections

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member