WA WA - Leah Roberts, 23, Whatcom Co, 13 Mar 2000

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
HollywoodBound said:
Do suicidal people usually claim they are not suicidal and want to live or do they usually admit it when they are writing a note that they are leaving?

Wow! What a strange case! I wonder what the heck happened to Leah?!?!
I can't get my darn computer to download the power point thingy! :boohoo: :mad:

I would think if a person were totally set on disappearing and committing suicide- they would do just that.. disapear. I doubt they'd even bother leaving a note. I think the note writers would be more apt to write the note then kill themselves right there.

I'm no expert though- I'm just saying.

I think writing the year on the note just shows how she usually writes the date. If she was habitually writing in a diary, chances are she puts the month, day, and year on her entries.

I know when I write a note to someone, I write the date on it the way I always do on anything else I date.

About the money to pay for her bills - I think the important thing to note would be how long would the money have lasted to cover her bills? A few weeks or months? Or until the lease was up?

My guess would be she is in the woods. If she were running away, she would have taken her mother's ring and the money - not to mention her id and passport.

Nothing has been heard of Leah? I'm wondering why she chose Washington to head for. Did LE go through her laptop to see if she might have met someone online from Washington or Canada?

I think that she may have been driving to fast on that logging road and pitched over the side. As someone said that lives in that area the road is windy and narrow and it would be easy in the dusk and in rainy weather to misjudge distance and go over the side. If I were in my vehicle and wrecked and survived I would hang clothes out so that if I left I would be able to find the place that I wrecked. It's just strange that she didn't take her money and the ring with her when she left. Did she take her passport? You would think that if she left everything else behind she would have taken her money though. By covering the broken windows she must have tried to keep the jeep warm for awhile anyway.

It seems like the whole mystery is where Leah went after she left her vehicle. Did she get picked up by someone who wasn't a nice person? If someone did something to her and dumped her body somewhere it could be years before she is ever found. There is so much woods in that area. In March when she was last heard of it had to have been colder then heck. I live not that far from Mt. Baker and Bellingham and right now it is cold as all get out a night. Feels like it is going to snow. I can't imagine being outside at night and especially in the woods where it is probably even colder all the time.

It's also curious why Leah didn't tell her family that she was going on a trip and how long she was planning to be gone and where she was going. I just wonder if she didn't meet someone online and was going to spend some time with them but didn't make it there or maybe she did manage to contact them after the accident and something happened. I hope LE went over her laptop.

The Herald-Sun (Durham, NC)

June 12, 2007 Tuesday
Final Edition

METRO; Pg. C1

613 words

Tour aims to raise awareness of missing;
Leah Roberts vanished in '00 on cross-country trek
BRIANNE DOPART bdopart@heraldsun.com; 419-6684

Kara Roberts believes it could have been the promise of a new life that led her sister, Durham native Leah Roberts, to get into her 1993 Jeep Cherokee and drive to the Pacific Northwest seven years ago.Before her disappearance in March 2000, Leah Roberts was an aspiring writer who loved "On the Road" writer Jack Kerouac, her sister said Monday. She may have been hoping to pen a new chapter in her life the day she jotted a note to her roommates at her Raleigh residence, packed her mother's engagement ring and a substantial amount of cash and left for the west coast.Leah Roberts, then 23, was 15 credit hours shy of graduating from college and in the process of putting her life back together. Her mother, Nancy Roberts, died in 1997 from heart failure and her father, Stancil Roberts, succumbed to a long illness in 1999, her sister said. Unwilling to give up hope of finding their baby sister, siblings Kara and Heath Roberts have worked tirelessly in an attempt to keep her memory alive and her name in the press with the hope that someday they'll find the answers to questions plaguing them since Leah Roberts vanished."The past seven years have been tough," Kara Roberts said of her family's ordeal. "I think everyone's experienced what it's like to lose someone for a moment. You kind of know what it's like when you lose sight of your child in a store and the panic you feel. Imagine that feeling spread over seven years."Part of the mystery revolves around a departure letter."Remember," Leah Roberts wrote in a March 9, 2000, note left for her roommates along with money covering a month's worth of rent and bills, "everyone is together in thoughts and prayers and time passes quickly. Have faith in me, yourself, everyone...Tell Kara don't worry (even though she will)."Next to her message is an added, circled message: "April 23 'On the Road' No I'm not suicidal I am the opposite -- Remember Jack Kerowack (sic)?"Credit card records and surveillance video shed light on Leah Roberts' journey in the nine days between her departure and the discovery of her banged-up Cherokee in a state park near Bellingham, Wash. On March 10, Leah spent the night in a Memphis, Tenn., hotel. By March 12, she'd made it to Oregon, and on March 13, the same day her family was filing a missing persons report (they had yet to find Leah Roberts' note) she went to see her favorite movie, "American Beauty.""Basically, the trail stopped there in Bellingham, Washington ... And we're still looking for her," Kara Roberts said. "We haven't given up hope. Leah went missing in Washington, but maybe there's someone around here who remembers something she may have told them."In a cross-country tour beginning this week and inspired by Leah Roberts' journey titled "On the Road to Remember," the Roberts siblings and Monica Caison, director of the CUE Center for Missing Persons, hope to raise awareness of Leah's disappearance and cases like hers.The first tour was held in 2004 for the express purpose of garnering leads in Leah Roberts' case. The tour got so much attention from media and families who themselves were waiting for answers about their own loved ones' disappearances that Caison and the Roberts decided to make the tour an annual event, dedicating each cross-country trek to a different missing person.The Roberts ask that anyone with information about Leah's disappearance or whereabouts contact the Whatcom County (Washington) Sheriff's Department at (360) 676-6650, or (360) 676-7722, or the CUE Center for Missing Persons at (910) 232-1687.For tour infoFor more information about the tour or its next stops, go to the CUE Center's Web site at www.ncmissingpersons.org.

The Herald-Sun | C.F. Ward Heath Roberts (from left), Monica Caison and Kara Roberts take turns speaking to raise awareness of missing persons at Bay 7 of the American Tobacco Campus on Monday.

June 13, 2007

http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publishe...&topicId=100020825&docId=l:626203454&start=15

bumping for Leah.............. I haven't forgotten.

Bumping for Leah. I read this case for the first time today and found it very intriguing. Unfortunately, many of the websites referenced have since gone down.

I hope that someday Leah is located and her family and friends get the closure they deserve.

Sorry to butt in, but has anyone thought that the items were 'staged' around the wreck of the car? Almost like they were a memorial to the end of a chapter in Leah's life.
Was the reference to April 23rd the date she expected to be where she was heading & where she was going to resurrect herself as someone else?
I don't know the Jack Kerouac book - but could she have adopted the name of a character from it to start a new chapter in her life?
Again, sorry for butting in, but I just wondered if it had been looked at.

Sorry to butt in, but has anyone thought that the items were 'staged' around the wreck of the car? Almost like they were a memorial to the end of a chapter in Leah's life.
Was the reference to April 23rd the date she expected to be where she was heading & where she was going to resurrect herself as someone else?
I don't know the Jack Kerouac book - but could she have adopted the name of a character from it to start a new chapter in her life?
Again, sorry for butting in, but I just wondered if it had been looked at.

April 23rd is the date of Easter. She mentioned something about Easter and then wrote the date.
Parts of this trip don't seem staged, more like she was acting in the moment but I know what you mean.
I had thought of the book references too. I don't know why someone would not want any money to start a new life, I mean she left everything behind. She was going to have a real tough time having no money and being so far from home...

This case just doesn't sound like someone who would have left everything to start a new life-- unless there was something bad (or illegal) she was trying to escape... and there's no evidence of this. My theory is still that she had somewhat of a breakdown, after her parents' deaths and the stress of school, and took off on a 'self-discovery' trip (which seems to have been an impulsive act at the time)... and was maybe not thinking clearly (or, shall we say, maybe not using the best judgment..) and she was going up the mountain to get away from it all, and to be near the spot in the Kerouac book, when she veered off the road in the rain, was injured and in a state of semi-shock, and stayed in the car for a night or 2, but eventually realized that no one would find her unless she started walking. She must have not been thinking straight since she didn't take her wallet & grandmother's ring... or perhaps she was only thinking about survival, or she just forgot. And then, she was picked up by some evil person. Maybe I'm wrong.... but that seems to me to be the most likelt scenario.. unfortauntely. Thoughts......???

I think she may have been hypothermic and walked into the woods, to perish after staying in the car a day or two.

I think she may have been hypothermic and walked into the woods, to perish after staying in the car a day or two.

I wonder how accurate the sighting in the gas station was. Maybe she had the cat with her and that made it likely to be Leah. If that is the case then she probably didn't walk into the woods right after the accident. It says on the missing persons summary that she may be traveling with her cat. It's interesting that the cat carrier was left in the car, she didn't take the cat in the carrier but must have been holding it if she still had it with her.

I don't understand why the items outside of her car are believed to be staged? The accident, or whatever you want to call it, was strong enough that the jeep rolled over (at least once) and all the windows were smashed. Is it not possible that the impact was also strong enough to toss the items all over the place outside of the car? Even if there was some clothing on the trees. That doesn't mean it was strategically placed there, imo. It sounds to me like these things could have easily flung out of the car while it was flipping over and just have fallen where ever, including on top of any shrubs that were around the area. Sorry, I'm just not following the theory that all of those things were staged - by her or anyone else.

The story about the guy she met in a bar is interesting. If it is true that most of the searches were done by air and not foot, then there certainly is a possibility that her remains are still out there somewhere. In that case, I wouldn't rule out foul play. I mean, it was just a little less than 2 years ago that a mother and daughter were shot and killed in the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest while hiking. Their murder is still unsolved. I wonder if they are working on making any sort of connection between the two.

I know there's a thread somewhere, but just for reference - I am referring to Mary Cooper and Susanna Stodden:
Police: Mother and daughter were shot on hiking trail
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/277599_hikers15ww.html

Does this remind anyone else of what happened w/Maura Murray? The book, the accident, the mountains....not saying they are related but when I read about Leah it totally reminded me of Maura...

There are some similarities, yes. In Maura's case, her family was at least able to do some ground searches. Although, I do remember that some local home/landowners were opposed to that and seemed to grow to dislike Maura's father.

While I do think that neither Leah or Maura were in the proper frame of mind to really navigate any type of road trip successfully and be fully cautious of their surroundings, I think it is really a shame that women traveling alone are so much more vulnerable. I also think that if this has been a 20-something yr old guy, many people would not have been looking at this trip like it was such a crazy idea.

A few questions: did she have her license with her, or did she leave that behind; has she used her Social Security number since?

I dont think she had her own website, did she? The original newspaper links are no longer valid, but her charley progect link is still active....

Sad case...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abberline vs Edmund Reid