WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
JMO: There was a rumor that LE went to a retail outlet in the valley looking for clues. At the time one of the more popular theories surrounded someone who was in construction; however, since LE released the info about the knife, I believe the real connection was Stan's and not Lowe's.

The rumor included that LE was searching out a 'drywall saw' ... which might be a clue as to which knife of the set was used in the murder?

Was it ever established that MC definitely had her cell phone with her when she left the Academy? LE never indicated otherwise so is it safe to assume it was?

Did LE check MC's voice mail? You do not need MC's phone to check that.

When was the last time MC used her home phone? Whom did she call? Who called her?

Did MC charge her cell phone via USB connection to a computer?

When / where was the last party MC attended?

Was anyone 'absent' from school or perhaps left school earlier than usual the day MC went missing?

Did MC own a camera (other than the one in her cell phone)?

In the parking lot video there was a vehicle in the upper right that left the Academy parking lot just as MC appeared walking toward her own vehicle. Was that driver identified?

There also appeared to be someone sitting in a vehicle in the left side of the video who opened the driver-side window just after MC appeared in the video. Was that person identified?

Which, if any, of MC's workout partners at the gym used steroids? 'Roid Rage?

MC was dressed in light-winter clothing when she left the Academy. Was all of MC's clothing intact when her body was discovered?

Chuck,

Good questions. My guess is that no one here knows the answers. My hope is that LE knows, or maybe a local or two might know, but again we'd be getting into rumor and speculation rather than known fact.

Totally unrelated to this case, in the area where I live authorities just brought charges against two murderers after the conclusion of a 3 year investigation. While I don't know all the details (i.e., witnesses or other evidence), I do know that it involved local LE and the FBI. So, that gives me hope in this case. While we all desperately want resolution now, it might simply take some time before the criminal(s) are brought to justice.

Everyone here seems to be related...IDK where I am going with this but...this is a scary place.

oops I mean Wenatchee area....not the website..

This was snipped from a very useful post by Sherlock_9 in Thread #6 / Post #132:

Regarding cameras/video between Hair Academy and Boat Launch: While out walking this morning, I noticed another camera on Orondo street and this got me thinking. So, I checked the possible paths Mackenzie (her car) took from the Beauty Academy lot to the boat launch and possibly to the Car Wash located on Wenatchee Ave betweem Dusty's In and Out and Shell.

In the rest of the post, he provides factual information regarding the location of other cameras in the area. Really good work IMO. Of course, the problem is knowing whether any of these locations saved footage or not.

Knowing how many cameras were are the area, it is clearly not a place where one can go unnoticed; meaning, either a camera or individual is going to see people. Granted, people are not super observant on the whole. But, I find it difficult to believe this was planned and someone would be careless enough to potentially ride around with MC.

I'm still reading, of course, and trying to determine whether or not MC (and an unknown male) were at the car wash.

Salem posted this article at the beginning of this thread: Link. Things I found to be important:

He also said no property owned by Cowell family members is suspected of being involved in the murder.

I guess this puts to rest the theory about the spec house. I kept running into this in the earlier threads, and while I'm not done catching up yet (I just started Thread #9), now I know that I can ignore posts / theories involving the use of the spec house by suspects.

“DNA is really the key thing we’re looking for,” he said. He noted that DNA has been taken from 40 to 50 people, including family, acquaintances “and anybody we contact.” To date, he said, no one has declined to provide DNA voluntarily.

Yes, he comes out and says that no immediate family members are suspects. And I understand that the mother's boyfriend is not an immediate family member. However, I cannot imagine him committing this crime and the voluntarily providing DNA unless he is a complete idiot! And while that quote does not name him specifically, I refuse to believe that LE did not ask for his DNA sample.

So now, it makes me wonder more and more about who could have committed this heinous crime.

So, where did all (or I should say, most) of the locals go? While many had unsubstantiated claims, I can't help but believe a lot of information they had was actually leaked, thus telling us more than we know from the WW articles.

Ooops! If you're asking about locals on this thread, please remember that we don't discuss other posters at WS. Thanks!

Hoppy
mod

Also, I HIGHLY doubt she would have been calling a lock and security company.. as they dont work all hours of the day/night, AND they set up security systems for companies and or homes... but yeah I highly doubt she would be calling them..... or any teen for that matter!

From the first post in this thread, by Salem, one of our moderators:

"Also - rampant rumors will not be allowed. If a local wishes to post a rumor, they will be required to provide a connection to the facts of the case as related by LE or mainstream media."

Please keep this in mind as you post.

Thanks,

Hoppy
mod

I check this thread every few days waiting to see "Killer caught"... but nothing :( I am loosing hope!

Where have all the super sleuths gone???? Have you given up??? Does anyone think the answers are within all these threads??? It seems there are no new clues....or maybe because Wenatchee is a"good ole boy sorta place". Maybe no one will ever tell....pretty sad...I guess we will have to wait for any crumbs of info LE is willing to throw us...

Trying not to forget about you MacKenzie - I keep checking hoping your killer is caught.

Also, I HIGHLY doubt she would have been calling a lock and security company.. as they dont work all hours of the day/night, AND they set up security systems for companies and or homes... but yeah I highly doubt she would be calling them..... or any teen for that matter!

Perhaps might not have called the lock and security company, but maybe a someone who works there? Just keeping the possibility open, since it seems we've hit a wall some time ago on this case.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2012365126_apwawenatcheeteenslain.html

Rare knife clue in slaying of Wenatchee teen

Investigators looking for the killer of a 17-year-old Wenatchee High School student have released a clue they hope leads to more tips in the case.
The Associated Press

WENATCHEE, Wash. — Investigators looking for the killer of a 17-year-old Wenatchee High School student have released a clue they hope leads to more tips in the case.

The Mackenzie Cowell Homicide Task Force said Thursday the knife used to kill her came from a limited set sold at only one store in the Wenatchee area, Stan's Merry Mart. Two knife sets also were given away at a 5-T's Restaurant and Lounge in East Wenatchee as a pull tab prize.

The sportsman cutlery set is made by Maxum and has a unique black and gray handle.

The task force says it has no suspect in the slaying of the Cowell, who was last seen leaving a beauty school class in Wenatchee Feb. 9. Her body was found four days later along the Columbia River at Crescent Bar.

bbm

...you'd think the Associated Press would be more careful with their report texts.

A profile of Mackenzie posted on AMW today.

Wonder if it will help?

Wonder why it wasn't done months ago?

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=74306

Authorities say Mackenzie was beaten, stabbed, and ultimately strangled to death.

The attack sequence listed in the AMW article:
  1. Beaten
  2. Stabbed
  3. Strangled
Wenatchee World's original report included that MC was stabbed in the neck.

SPECULATION FOLLOWS:

MC might have picked up a hitch hiker, who claimed to need a ride to the park or boat ramp.

Once there, they both exited the vehicle. The perp might have asked MC to call a phone number for him, to have a someone pick him up there. The owner of the number might have been known or unknown to the perp, but that is of no consequence because having MC make phone calls was simply a distraction.

The perp beats MC but, not enough to cause permanent damage but enough to instill great fear.

The perp forces MC back in to the vehicle, the perp drives,

The perp drives away from Wenatchee, to Crescent Bar, looking for a place to rape MC.

They arrive to the property at 156 Crescent Bar.

The perp attempts a sexual attack but MC fights back.

MC runs from the vehicle and around the house, attempting to attract attention.

No one answers, because the house is unoccupied.

MC attempts to escape into the house through a window by breaking it, getting glass shards in her hair as she climbed through the window.

The perp catches up with her and they struggle but MC escapes to the outside and runs toward the duck blind, just running.

The per catches up to her, pulls a weapon from his jacket pocket and stabs MC in the neck, possibly in other areas.

MC drops to the ground and the perp drops down and strangles her.

The per then drags MC's body to the river bank.

Remember: speculation only

The perp stabbed MC in the neck, but it wasn't a quick-kill wound.

MC might have pulled the weapon from her neck and threw it, probably away from the struggle scene in or near the "duck blind" and toward the river.

The perp, unable to locate the weapon then strangled MC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbDnbCoroR8

View the attached image. Note the vehicle with the yellow arrow above it.

Watch the video in FULL SCREEN mode and STARE only at that vehicles driver's side window.

As MC walks in to the parking lot, the driver's side window lowers.

I know many posters here have commented on that vehicle but ...

Was the person sitting in that vehicles driver's seat identified?

Attachments

• MC_window_opens.png
    MC_window_opens.png
    272.4 KB · Views: 80
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics