WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did a sleeping bag come into this scenario?

Not sure. What Del Rio said was he had left a black bag (to carry ducks in) and an air mattress that he believed had been popped. He did not pick them up because he planned on a return trip and did not think anyone would happen by to notice (my paraphrasing) Also the blind was/is on public property not private property. I hope this is right, as I do not want to be mis-representing what Del said but I think it is darn close.

Not sure. What Del Rio said was he had left a black bag (to carry ducks in) and an air mattress that he believed had been popped. He did not pick them up because he planned on a return trip and did not think anyone would happen by to notice (my paraphrasing) Also the blind was/is on public property not private property. I hope this is right, as I do not want to be mis-representing what Del said but I think it is darn close.

I agree. My error on the private property thing as I thought the blind was on the house property bordering the river.

I have been following this case through websleuths for weeks now. I rarely post my thoughts or opinions simply because I am not from the area nor do I have any connections to anyone related to the case - therefore I am reluctant if I am not certain about what I am posting. I do appreciate the information all of the locals give and all of the time and effort everyone who posts regularly is putting into searching for justice for Mackenzie. For some reason, this case has touched my heart and I pray they find the person(s) responsible for this.
I have felt from the beginning (like many) that this was done by someone close to her or who at least knew her. I have always in the back of my mind thought of jealousy being a factor. (I know others have stated this too.) After hearing the COD, I feel more strongly this may be the case. I keep thinking of a case years ago regarding a victim named Shanda Sharer. Does anyone recall that case? I am in no way implying that the specific cirmanstances could be the scenerio here- I am just thinkng that in general it could be similar. Girls being extremely jealous of their "competition" therefore eliminating her? Just thought I'd throw this out here and see if anyone else had been reminded of that case when reading about Mackenzie.

I have had similar thoughts regarding the Shanda Sharer case and similar cases in which groups of teen females have egged each other on to commit increasingly horrible acts on a peer who has been perceived to have wronged one of them. There was another similar case that I'm trying to remember, which occurred in Canada. The reason these cases came to mind is the rumors of horrible things done to MC. I am an avid reader of true crime stories, and the ones in which groups of teen girls committed the crime have stuck with me as some of the most cruel and incomprehensible. They are the ones that have left my mind scarred with images I'd rather forget. In instances that I'm aware of where mothers have murdered their daughters, none stick out in my mind as including mutilation. And an angry man (JF) or suitor just doesn't seem to explain the rumored mutilation to me either. Overkill, maybe, but not really mutilation. So I keep coming back to the group of teenage girls. The thing that really makes me doubt that this could be the case is that it seems very unlikely that a group of immature girls would be able to keep quiet about the crime for any length of time. If that were the case, we would probably have POIs by now. Just thinking out loud. These are all my own opinions, and I am in no way an expert. Just going off of gut feelings.

I agree. My error on the private property thing as I thought the blind was on the house property bordering the river.

There is so much information coming in who can keep track? I have eaten my share of crow on this site as more than once I have been wrong!

I have thought about this a lot. If it was so noticeable and she suffered so much teasing over it, why wait so long for the braces and surgery? I can only think that there must have been a medical reason for it. Perhaps there is more to it and they needed to wait for bones to finish growing or something else. Dr.
Girlfawkes........what do you think?

Haha, I think I don't know squat about orthodontic surgery. I would imagine though that in some cases it could be logical to wait depending on the severity of the problem.

why would someone take her cell and debit card? only someone close to her would of only took those items. i'm wondering maybe could of dropped them when she was being attacked or maybe she threw them out the window hoping someone would find them

Has anyone heard mention of the debit and cell phone cards since she was found? All emphasis has been on the phone.

thank you for clarifying that. That makes complete sense now.
What a coincidence for poor Del to find out someone else had been there after him.
What has happened to this young girl in our own hometown is ssoo unreal.
I still can't fathom the facts of what she suffered from some sink persons inability to deal with LIFE.!
Thank you again so much !

Also thinking out loud about placement and discovery of the body. Some of you locals may actually have heard rumors about or spoken to whoever found her, so if you know otherwise, please correct me, but: I was thinking that maybe the body was better hidden than we are thinking, and that maybe there is a reason that someone was out walking on the beach when it wasn't very nice weather and didn't look like a very great place to go walking. Maybe a neighbor has a dog that needs to be walked regardless of the weather, and the river is a good place to walk it because it likes the water. This is where we always walk our dogs because they love to chase sticks in the water, even when it's freezing out. Maybe the dog noticed a smell that was unusual for the area and found the body even though it was well hidden, and maybe the owner went over to where the dog was, even though it was a place the person wouldn't normally have walked, to see what the dog was so interested in. Again, just conjecture and thinking out loud.

Ozz; I had an interesting conversation today with someone who has had work done in the past by JF. I asked his opinion on all of the speculation discussed here regarding JF. His response to me was "highly unlikely...too stupid to not be caught by now...not organized enough. Definitely a person with drug issues."
RUMOUR

What kind of work did JF do for this person?

I'm thinking out loud...

Do we have an idea what JF's schedule was like the week or two before Mackenzie was murdered? I've been looking for permits and such but I'm not very web sleuthy..

Did he have a routine, places he frequented? (example: coffee at Denny's before at work)

Did he work primarily in the area or did he travel?

My humble apology if any of this has been covered already..

Sided his house several years ago.

The the realtor who “hosted” the open house at the spec home the day after MC body was found and after LF had done a quick search the same night apparently told one of her best friends that she saw something in the house (or possibly garage) that upset her but she would not say what it was. Therefore, you can use your imagination to fill in the blanks. She also said that JF was at the open house all day.
This is not first hand information and none of us can prove any of this is true. However, maybe this is where the somebody saw something in the spec home story started, or maybe not.

I agree, the "wanna-be" gangsters have really made a mess around town with their tags. Ruining private property, dumpsters and buildings, BUT that is about the extent of their activity.

I think they play with spray paint quite often, but not murder people. If she wasn't strangled I might be able to be convinced. If it was just stab wounds and being hit then I would be completely back to square one and everyone, including gang members, would be POI(s).

Strangulation is just too personal. Gangs rarely even touch the body of a person they kill even to move it, let alone put their hands all over it to leave their prints. When gangs are done they normally flee instantly
. Based on the amount of time it took to find the body, I'm not convinced it was placed at CB the exact day it happened. Whoever did this didn't seem to just "flee". If they did I think they would have left a giant trail of solid evidence behind and we wouldn't be in the situation we are today. JMHO :)

bbm~
I totally agree MissAnonymous! Of course, that certainly doesn't mean that it wasn't gang related. I'm not from the area, so have no clue as to the extent of gang activity there ..and I'm certainly not a 'gang expert' :no: by any stretch of the imagination, lol! I'm just not 'seeing' any hallmark signs that point me in that direction...

Anything is possible of course. :( I just feel like she most likely would have been shot, very possibly in a drive by and the perps gone in seconds. As you said, with the stabbing or blunt force trauma, it could possibly be as well..but if you have a group, strangulation imho would be very stupid, take longer which = greater risk of being caught and having a greater possibility of leaving more evidence behind....and just completely unnecessary to get the job done...UNLESS it was that personal to them. I have a hard time believing from what we know so far of Mackenzie hat she could have done anything to be a gangs # 1 target. Not to mention, even if the gang theory turned out to be true, wouldn't we be talking about a young group of wannabe "gangsta girls"? They could/would be dangerous of course, but this would be the first case even close to it's kind in the area would it not, or has there been others?

How bad is the gang problem in Wenatchee anyway? Other than the typical graffiti, what type of gang (girl gang in particular) activity is most prevalent? I can't imagine that they be such professional gangsters, yet anyway, that they would'nt be nervous as he!! and not wasting any time. I would be shocked to find out that young 'wannabe gangsta girls' took the time or risk moving her body. Also, even with some sort of 'code of silence' ..girls, rarely can keep their mouth shut and would have told someone who told someone, who told someone, etc... especially if it was comprised of several girls (which to be a 'gang' it would have to be more than 2 or 3 wouldn't it?)

IDK, maybe all this has been discussed and I'm mistaken on the amount of violent gang activity in Wenatchee as I have been trying trying to keep up with several cases even though I swore to myself I was putting my laptop down for awhile after justice had been served in the Caylee Anthony & HaLeigh Cummings cases AND was not going to let myself even read about any others for awhile anyway. Have y'all found out how ADDICTING Websleuths is yet, lol?! :croc:..

eta~I don't know if Del Rio is back yet, but I wonder if he knows that he can still log in and "thank" post if he chose to do so. Sometimes that's better than nuttin'..

Also thinking out loud about placement and discovery of the body. Some of you locals may actually have heard rumors about or spoken to whoever found her, so if you know otherwise, please correct me, but: I was thinking that maybe the body was better hidden than we are thinking, and that maybe there is a reason that someone was out walking on the beach when it wasn't very nice weather and didn't look like a very great place to go walking. Maybe a neighbor has a dog that needs to be walked regardless of the weather, and the river is a good place to walk it because it likes the water. This is where we always walk our dogs because they love to chase sticks in the water, even when it's freezing out. Maybe the dog noticed a smell that was unusual for the area and found the body even though it was well hidden, and maybe the owner went over to where the dog was, even though it was a place the person wouldn't normally have walked, to see what the dog was so interested in. Again, just conjecture and thinking out loud.

I've often said the section of beach near where the body was found does NOT look like a place someone can walk..At least not without getting their feet wet from pools of water..This impression stems from the many pix of the area (even LE's) I've seen.

Anyone can apply for and receive a license as a contractor all you have to do is fill out a bit of paperwork and pay a nominal fee. Don’t need to know a Phillips screwdriver from a buzz saw to get a license to build, remodel, drywall, frame, etc. Sometimes it seems half of the valley is in the building industry. It was a quick and easy way to make lots of money during the boom and probably a good tax deduction now.

Between running errands and doing a little fishing today, took some time to do some sleuthing out and about in the area.

Found some intersting things...

First of all, can anyone recall if a picture has been posted of the exact spot off the road the car was located? I ask because there are two lots right next to each other at the end of PCR. I drove up there tonight, and found something interesting- there is a huge, bright street light that shines out on the road and illuminates the front part of the stock lot where implements and materials are sitting. It lights up the lot, the road and the mailboxes. Looks like it is not new, either.

Further up, about 100 yards, there is another lot, on the same side off the road (left if heading up) leading back to some hay and a farm implement of some type. Not really a lot, just a turn off before heading up the hill to RHs home. It's a bit darker there but still the entrace is illuminated.

And, there are at least 30 homes lining the road up to the parking spot. Most have good views of the road.

Not a well thought out place to dump the car. Not nearly as secluded as would be thought. That light is BRIGHT! It is not dark where the car was left.

This all plays into a theoty I'm working on. After driving to and from CB, sidetracking out in the Palisades - a place NO ONE has mentioned that I know of being the one place in the valley where there is NO cell service whatsoever- and then buzzing up to PCR, I'm just now getting in

A few other things, for what they are worth:

In moderate traffic this afternoon- 24 minutes from stoplight at Columbia River Bridge to being parked in driveway of CB house.

In light/moderate traffic this evening- 31 minutes from driveway of CB house to driving up, turning around and parking car in RHs lot up PCR

Cell phone coverage was better than it had been previously- Was able to keep coverage and maintain a call until Grant County Line. At this exact spot, 0 bars and lost call. Sporadic, 1 bar down to house. Could not keep a call on line. 0 bars in driveway of house, the 3, then 0. Very erratic service.

Heading back, same sporadic service until crossing mile marker 22- Douglas/Grant line at RR underpass. Service stays deecent most of way in.

2 miles in on Palisades road- no service whatsoever. Drove in 10+ miles- never got service.

I'm not sure if this means much. Just some findings.

And, it was weird being at the CB home. Parked, got out of car for about 30 seconds. Walked towards pond with volleyball net across, saw painted line on ground. Looked around and just didn't like being there. Was going to look more, as the real estate sign is up, it is vacant and I wouldn't consider checking out a home for sale as trespassing, but it just didn't seem right.

Seeing the place really inhanced the images Del's photos and postings had established.

I've been to CB a handful of times in past couple years and I never would have noticed the place if I didn't know it was there. Never noticed before. It is VERY secluded. Unless one is on the property or walking the river one would never see anything located there.

The the realtor who “hosted” the open house at the spec home the day after MC body was found and after LF had done a quick search the same night apparently told one of her best friends that she saw something in the house (or possibly garage) that upset her but she would not say what it was. Therefore, you can use your imagination to fill in the blanks. She also said that JF was at the open house all day.
This is not first hand information and none of us can prove any of this is true. However, maybe this is where the somebody saw something in the spec home story started, or maybe not.

Why would JF be at a real estate open house?

Are you a hunter yourself ? If you are - as a hunter would you have left that many items when leaving your duck den ? As stated by Del Rio. Do hunters take items like sleeping bags,etc when duck hunting ?
My grandfather hunted all kinds of wild game and i don't ever remember taking sleeping bags. When leaving we never left anything behind - respect to the outdoors and mother earth.

IIRC, Del said that he had originally planned on returning, but never did that's why it was left.

I have been following this case through websleuths for weeks now. I rarely post my thoughts or opinions simply because I am not from the area nor do I have any connections to anyone related to the case - therefore I am reluctant if I am not certain about what I am posting. I do appreciate the information all of the locals give and all of the time and effort everyone who posts regularly is putting into searching for justice for Mackenzie. For some reason, this case has touched my heart and I pray they find the person(s) responsible for this.
I have felt from the beginning (like many) that this was done by someone close to her or who at least knew her. I have always in the back of my mind thought of jealousy being a factor. (I know others have stated this too.) After hearing the COD, I feel more strongly this may be the case. I keep thinking of a case years ago regarding a victim named Shanda Sharer. Does anyone recall that case? I am in no way implying that the specific cirmanstances could be the scenerio here- I am just thinkng that in general it could be similar. Girls being extremely jealous of their "competition" therefore eliminating her? Just thought I'd throw this out here and see if anyone else had been reminded of that case when reading about Mackenzie.

Makes me wonder about this 911 call. Even though it is from Leavenworth, the dates on harassment are from the 12th on. I know of someone from Leavenworth who attended the Hair Academy with MC. I also know that kids in this valley know kids from Cashmere and Leavenworth. Its really not that far away and with school games and etc. its not that far of a streatch for some sort of link between them. It may not be related but it does go to show you how mean girls can be sometimes. I remember my high school years.

I was thinking that maybe the body was better hidden than we are thinking, and that maybe there is a reason that someone was out walking on the beach when it wasn't very nice weather and didn't look like a very great place to go walking. Maybe a neighbor has a dog that needs to be walked regardless of the weather, and the river is a good place to walk it because it likes the water

Respectfully- the weather was not that bad that day-

I took a ten mile walk in Weantchee that day between 9 Am and 1 PM. It was very nice here that day for early February. I started just heading downtown, but it was so nice, I kept going around town. Had on sweats and a hooded sweatshirt. That was it. It was a sunny day. I even took some pics down at the river.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkipTracer-tg