WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC i read somewhere her curfew was 8:00. I too thought it was pretty early considering she had to drive from Wenatchee to Orondo.

A friend said she lived out of her car (clothes/shoes) so that doesn't quite jive with having to be home at 8p (I assume school nights) & didn't we also hear she would spend many evenings at her bf's house?

I'm following your theory, I've read parts of it hear and have heard other theories in person within the community that run along these lines (i.e. gangs, revenge, mutilation)

I'm just left with thinking -- was she REALLY hanging out with 17-21 year olds that were experienced criminals (and they were within her close circle, based on what we know right now), that would be experienced in pulling off the horrific things that are rumored to have been done to her?

Keep in mind the mother's bf's criminal history and those of some of his employees! Why would we expect the teenager to make better decisions?

JMHO

It amazes me how we all keep going round and round......gang, not a gang, JF, not JF, WC involved or not.

So this kind of makes me run back to my original theory.

Maybe she followed her new friend up PC to go for a motorcycle ride. They get up there, she parks, she walks from her car to the pavement where the bike is (one set of tracks). They planned to go on the dirt road but it was too muddy or gated so they decided to go back down for a road ride. He takes her to the missing crime scene. She witness something she wasn't supposed to or fights off some unwanted advances. Now they can't let her go. She is mouthy and says she will tell so he hits her etc. He goes out scouting on his bike for a place to dump the body, he doesn't want to wander around with a body, he checks out the CB location to see if the duck blind is still there, leaves tracks there in lower lot. Goes back for car/truck or boat and returns with body. Just a theory. I never did hear that anyone was reported to be walking out of PC and the time line seems so short for them to already be dumping that car, that's what leaves me to think she parked the car there herself. If it was premeditated I'm sure there are a lot better places to dump a car where it would not be reported so soon. Even if they left it in a parking lot in town, no one would have noticed it and reported it that fast.

I find holes in this even myself, but just wanted to throw it out there.

The biggest problem that I see with any scenario involving the car being parked legitimately, is that it is very obvious that where it was left is private property. There are numerous signs to that effect and no way to mistake it for easement or right of way. You have to actually pull into a barb wire fenced area with numerous private possessions and are immediately greeted with signs. Maybe I'm just too law abiding and naive myself, but no way would I park on private property with "no trespassing" and "keep out" signs. I would be afraid to return and find my car towed (as happened here in a short amount of time).

Plus, by the time the car was parked it was dark or nearly dark, and I can't see legitimate recreating in the dark.

I also know for a fact that LE was up there searching for at least 48 hours immediately following the discovery of the car. With such a short time frame already, I can't see a perp leaving her body up there, scouting out a location like CB, and returning to pick up her body. That place was crawling with LE.

Just some thoughts.

IIRC his items were gone. He also stated they were his shell casings.

LE did not know this prior to meeting up with him on day (?) of the investigation & even after they did LE still left them only on the word of someone they could not possibly know at that time was not somehow involved..It's also goes beyond that because they were found so close to the body..They should've taken WHATEVER was there..End of story!

In the CA case they left NOTHING behind in the very large area where Caylee was found even tho they had to believe some of it was not related to the crime..That's just GOOD police work!

I, too, believe WW should have published the autopsy findings when they initially received that information.

How could holding back that particular information help LE in identifying and verifying a perp?

Would there be a line of eager confessors stacked along the outside of the police station waiting to be interviewed because they each wanted to confess and take credit for this fantastic crime of the century?

Confessor #43: "Ummm .. I... I ..... kicked her in the shins and then I slapped her and made her eat mashmellows until she died ... "
Officer: "No, sorry, you lose. You don't know the secret COD. Next!"

To another point made by LE, that they want to avoid clueing in the perp as to what they know so that the perp would not know to cover their tracks.

Surely LE is aware a perp expects a coroner to interpret much of any evidence they might find on a body.

Perp: "Bwahahahaa ... they'll never find out I strangled her ... bwahaha".

Sorry, I just find some of LE's reasoning as applied to this particular autopsy report to be absurd, but then again I'm on the outside looking in.

I can understand if LE believes they might find evidence in a specific location that they would not want the perp to know they would be searching that location @ 11:30 am the next morning ... LE wouldn't want the perp or his minions to go to and 'clean' the location before LE's arrival.

I also believe reality dictates the opposite has some merit: that LE would not want a perp to know just how little they actually *really know* about a case ... they wouldn't want to embolden the character to 'perform' again since LE is unable to crack a previous 'performance'.

Anyway, it's a dangerous and tricky business being 'on the job'. Certainly I would not want to continue with such a job where you have to work scenes where a child or a senior was murdered. That LE personnel do what they do day after day astounds me and believe me, I am grateful for their courage

and fortitude.

This was not the autopsy report that was released yesterday. It was the death certificate, which only relates to what caused her death. All the other gory details will be on the autopsy report, which is never going to be released. JMO

That's a very interesting observation. I have always wondered what the big deal was about her jaw. She looks beautiful to me and her slight overbite doesn't appear to be that noticeable. I wouldn't have noticed it unless it was pointed out.

Whatever it was..........her jaw or something else.........the teasing was apparently significant! I think there is more to this teasing stuff, but we may never know what. JMO

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that MC's phone was GPS-enabled...That's the only way that LE could know that she was at the boat dock, unless an eye-witness saw her there.

It is a standard reply anytime any media "ask permission" to release public records. They should have never asked LE permission to do anything. If LE doesn't want the information out there it is THEIR responsibility to keep it from getting out. (They haven't done a very good job if even a tenth of the rumors are true).

I think that it was probably the other way around. Rather that WW asking permission to publish the information I imagine that LE asked WW to hold off publishing.

It looks like WW was willing to do so for a period of time but made the decision that they had held off long enough.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that MC's phone was GPS-enabled...That's the only way that LE could know that she was at the boat dock, unless an eye-witness saw her there.

My research shows that her phone did have GPS and it ships with GPS enabled. The user has to take steps to turn it off.

I expect that is at least one of the ways that LE is certain of the location.

LE did not know this prior to meeting up with him on day (?) of the investigation & even after they did LE still left them only on the word of someone they could not possibly know at that time was not somehow involved..It's also goes beyond that because they were found so close to the body..They should've taken WHATEVER was there..End of story!

In the CA case they left NOTHING behind in the very large area where Caylee was found even tho they had to believe some of it was not related to the crime..That's just GOOD police work!

Exactly ! Point well made about items left behind after investigating sight ?
Why did LE leave it behind ?
Many criminals return to the crime scene.
What about items found at body's location ? Why would the criminal leave evidence unless it wasn't theyr'es ?
Or - was the killer interupted and was planning on coming back since the location was secluded, but neighbors found the body unexpectedly.

I think they probably left the shell casings behind because the COD was obvious and well established. They knew this wasn't a shooting. Also SG shell casings and brasses degrade extremely quickly and are (almost) as common as dirt in these parts. They could probably tell they were a bit old, subjected to the elements, and not valuable as evidence (no fingerprints would be left, ect)

He did say they took the bag and mattress (or they were gone) so obviously they thought those may have been related.

But yeah, total thoroughness would have been a bit soothing.

i'm still not worried though, I think they've got 'em in a corner anyway.

Maybe that is one thing they did hold back as requested by LE. If she was that would be very valuable information in questioning.

I have wondered all along how releasing the COD could harm the case. IF she was pregnant and it was the motive for the murder, it would make sense that LE wouldn't want that info released until they had a suspect in custody. The killer would know that LE knew it was someone that MC had been with, therefore their list of suspects would be small (I assume) and they wouldn't be able to play the "we know nothing and have no suspects" game like they seem to be playing.

Perhaps you are right. Maybe the WW held this info for two weeks, went round and round with LE and decided to just leave that part out so that they could go ahead and release the rest. After all, they were only releasing the COD.. Being pregnant wouldn't be part of that. They would technically still be telling the truth.

Just a though.

I pulled this statement:
Maybe that person wasn't in an official "gang" per se, but a group of people who take themselves way too seriously

...and immediately thought of someone in Law Enforcement. They would certainly know how to cover their tracks and clean up the evidence.

I have considered this also. Certainly would be the last to be suspected and know how to make it look like someone else did it or try to steer the investigation away from that theory.

speculation

I have wondered all along how releasing the COD could harm the case. IF she was pregnant and it was the motive for the murder, it would make sense that LE wouldn't want that info released until they had a suspect in custody. The killer would know that LE knew it was someone that MC had been with, therefore their list of suspects would be small (I assume) and they wouldn't be able to play the "we know nothing and have no suspects" game like they seem to be playing.

Perhaps you are right. Maybe the WW held this info for two weeks, went round and round with LE and decided to just leave that part out so that they could go ahead and release the rest. After all, they were only releasing the COD.. Being pregnant wouldn't be part of that. They would technically still be telling the truth.

Just a though.

I think the WW reporters know much more than they have put in print. They have some good investigative reporters.

I wonder if it makes a difference with the feds involved.

In any case, most of the details will become public and be on record when the trial occurs, since most likely post mortem forensics are going to figure heavily into the prosecution.

I don’t see how having federal investigators helping with the case would affect state law but I believe that you are correct that the information could become public via a trial.

I think that it was probably the other way around. Rather that WW asking permission to publish the information I imagine that LE asked WW to hold off publishing.

It looks like WW was willing to do so for a period of time but made the decision that they had held off long enough.

I was told by somebody that works at WW that, in the course of doing the business of the newspaper, the death certificate was obtained through the proper channels, but that LE found out they had it and begged them not to publish it. However; they did not have a court order or anything to stop it from being released.........merely a sticky note requesting the coroner's office to keep it mum. The WW held off, giving them time to obtain a court order, or whatever they would have needed, but it was either denied or LE didn't go that route. Either way, WW hung onto it for 2 whole weeks before releasing it to the public. Seems like, if it was really that important to the case, a court order could have been obtained? IDK. I guess this is considered a rumor, and JMHO for part of it.

Just a though.

The only way to know if the WW withheld some information on the death certificate (i.e., pregnancy) is for a websleuther here to request a copy of the death certificate themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmeyer