Identified! WA - Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #6 *name withheld*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please share your thoughts...

would a website like the one I mentioned above be a good idea?
It could allow the family to have access to those that want to send their heartfelt messages while the family' anonymity is kept & respected

I think it may be a good idea, as long the messages from users are filtered by a moderator before they go live.

I've seen a disgusting amount of comments shaming the family & accusing them of abuse or wrong-doing & that being the reason they won't release his name.

If that can be filtered out before messages are able to be seen by his family, then I think it could be a great idea.
Please share your thoughts...

would a website like the one I mentioned above be a good idea?
It could allow the family to have access to those that want to send their heartfelt messages while the family' anonymity is kept & respected

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I just had a thought, and I want to run it by the group. I know how much time and effort so many of you put into this case. You feel a personal connection to him, and more than a few of you have remarked that he is like a brother. Would any of you want to write a letter to Lyle's family? I haven't run this by the family yet, but I know so many of you have such big hearts, that you might want to express your feelings to the family. I am thinking that, if the family is ok with it, any letters could be sent to my office, and I would be willing to forward them to the family.

Mr. Youmans, if the family is interested please post this on reddit too, as there are so many there who would like to send letters as well!

Additionally, maybe you can't go into this but is his family very confused that so many people followed Lyle's case? This must be so overwhelming and bizarre to them in addition to heart wrenching!

I want to thank everyone in the WS community for all of your dedication and hard work to help give Lyle his name and help give his family some closure. You did so much of the leg work and eliminated hundreds of potential matches. I knew from day one that Lyle just wanted to disappear, but I also knew at he had family out there who needed to know what happened to him. I spoke with his father, who was so thankful for everyone's help.

Honestly, we couldn't do anything without the time you spent here posting. It was a sad day when you stopped but you really had said everything you could remember. A few of us picked thru posts to get all of your quotes so they were easily found.

I have warned Lyle's family, that the pictures are on the internet, just incase they look into the efforts that were put into identifying him. While I was the one that took the photos, it made me sick to my stomach to learn that the photos had to be released and they were made public. This was a terrible violation of this man's privacy, as well as a disgusting blow to his family if they have to see them displayed.

I removed the 2 PM pics we had at Never Forget Me. I did not have any of the ones that came via FOIA. Hopefully someone can contact the guy that put them online to remove them ASAP. I was shocked they were given with the FOIA. I had tried ordering stuff for a NY John Doe that was hit by a train; NY would not release them due to HIPAA. He was recently identified too, we assume by prints, name wasn't released.

I just had a thought, and I want to run it by the group. I know how much time and effort so many of you put into this case. You feel a personal connection to him, and more than a few of you have remarked that he is like a brother. Would any of you want to write a letter to Lyle's family? I haven't run this by the family yet, but I know so many of you have such big hearts, that you might want to express your feelings to the family. I am thinking that, if the family is ok with it, any letters could be sent to my office, and I would be willing to forward them to the family.

I'd love to write something. He's one of my oldest cases since coming here in 2009. Trying to think of how to have them online, how about Google websites? I can easily throw one up. Letters can go to you then you can forward to me or someone else. It's very much appreciated. I'm sure you can imagine how we feel not knowing his name or being able to see a photo of him. Can you tell us if his name was not Lyle Stevik and if you've seen his photo which recon looks the most like him?

My money would be on the 2 on his Find A Grave, Carl's newest one as well as the other there. Both are below, I also uploaded the sketch.

I think that's a great idea. Since this case has been followed by people all around the world, would you accept letters in email form?

I was thinking that we could set up a small website in honour of Lyle and maybe name it something along the lines of "Letters to Lyle" and people can submit letters, tributes and share the effect that the case has had on them.

Love the idea!

This is a great idea! I think it would be comforting for them to know just how much people cared about him.

I want to say a huge thank you and congrats for all you've done for Lyle with his FB group and putting him on Reddit where it took on a life of it's own.

This is such a sad case & has always broken my heart... still can't believe he's been identified. I can't imagine being someone that loved him & cared for him to come across the post-mortem pictures floating all over the internet... it would be devastating & soul-crushing. I'm glad that they finally have closure and know what happened to him. I am saddened that he had to exit life the way he did. Being someone who struggles with depression, I can relate to why Lyle could feel the way he did to choose to end his life. Ultimately, it does not matter whether his name is publicly known. He is home now, & if people truly care about him & his family, they will let this be & choose not to intervene in any inappropriate manner. May he rest in peace.

My daughter struggles. I uploaded her Ancestry DNA to a health site Promethease, it's actually in her genetics.

Attachments

• 12232017CarlRecon.jpg
    12232017CarlRecon.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 12212017ByReddittheidkid.jpg
    12212017ByReddittheidkid.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 12092016LyleSketch.jpg
    12092016LyleSketch.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 65
Great news, I was able to contact the person who wrote the article I mentioned yesterday (the first one that shows when you google "Lyle Stevik") and they have replaced the post-mortem photograph with a reconstruction. I've contacted as many people and reported as many of the photos as I can, although some sites don't have a contact option which makes it difficult. I won't give up, though. I'm also waiting for Imgur to get back to me regarding the removal of the large album containing the police photos.

Some of the photos that show up in the Google searches come from the threads here on Websleuths, so maybe a moderator can help to remove them if I can find links for the individual posts. There are also a lot of photos from Reddit in the search results. I'm not sure how to tackle those, but I'll give it a go.

Just as I suspected, people on Reddit aren't too keen to remove the photos and believe they should be left, because they were publicly released, and that people should "deal with it". All in favour of a "Lyle's Law" that protects unidentified (and identified) decedents from having their privacy and dignity compromised because it's technically legal to issue a FOIA request for such material?

Releasing sketches, reconstructions and details about the case is helpful, as is sometimes posting photos of belongings if it could aid in identifying someone, but I don't think any good can come from photos being released on the scale that Lyle's were. Especially now that DNA tesing seems to be the best tool in solving these cases. I'm saddened but not all that shocked by how insensitive some people can be; despite what they say, it does matter...

Just as I suspected, people on Reddit aren't too keen to remove the photos and believe they should be left, because they were publicly released, and that people should "deal with it". All in favour of a "Lyle's Law" that protects unidentified (and identified) decedents from having their privacy and dignity compromised because it's technically legal to issue a FOIA request for such material?

Releasing sketches, reconstructions and details about the case is helpful, as is sometimes posting photos of belongings if it could aid in identifying someone, but I don't think any good can come from photos being released on the scale that Lyle's were. Especially now that DNA tesing seems to be the best tool in solving these cases. I'm saddened but not all that shocked by how insensitive some people can be; despite what they say, it does matter...

And that's exactly why I am a member here, and not there.

Thank you for your efforts with this.

I'd love to write something. He's one of my oldest cases since coming here in 2009. Trying to think of how to have them online, how about Google websites? I can easily throw one up. Letters can go to you then you can forward to me or someone else. It's very much appreciated. I'm sure you can imagine how we feel not knowing his name or being able to see a photo of him. Can you tell us if his name was not Lyle Stevik and if you've seen his photo which recon looks the most like him?

My edit where I added Allan Kenley Matheson Google website never went thru. It's very easy to use. Free and comes up in google pretty fast

BBM
I think Lyle's Law would be a good idea unless Washington state has already made sure no more will go out, falling under something like HIPAA law such as NY does.

From what I remember, the person was supposed to get another load of his file but I don't think it ever got released to them as LE had found out about everything going online.

Great news, I was able to contact the person who wrote the article I mentioned yesterday (the first one that shows when you google "Lyle Stevik") and they have replaced the post-mortem photograph with a reconstruction. I've contacted as many people and reported as many of the photos as I can, although some sites don't have a contact option which makes it difficult. I won't give up, though. I'm also waiting for Imgur to get back to me regarding the removal of the large album containing the police photos.

Some of the photos that show up in the Google searches come from the threads here on Websleuths, so maybe a moderator can help to remove them if I can find links for the individual posts. There are also a lot of photos from Reddit in the search results. I'm not sure how to tackle those, but I'll give it a go.

Thanks for what you're doing.

Does anyone here follow or go to Find A Grave? someone left a comment back in April on Lyle's page who claims to be related to him somehow ... has a name of the poster and lists an aunt's name and everything on there ... Just found it curious :thinking:

might not be anything either ...

You'll be fighting the tabloids and such who make money off of posting images including gruesome death scenes, mortuary/autopsy photo's, private funeral pics and such.
All I can say is that it's *very* bad karma. What goes around, does indeed come around.

Does anyone here follow or go to Find A Grave? someone left a comment back in April on Lyle's page who claims to be related to him somehow ... has a name of the poster and lists an aunt's name and everything on there ... Just found it curious :thinking:

might not be anything either ...

The comment mentioning an aunt? Yes...we discussed it on the Discord server and asked DNA Doe Project if the name was consistent with their findings and they said no. I think the person who left the comment may have mistaken Lyle's page for that of their family member's, or they were trolling.

Ah .. thanks!! I just found it curious and wasn't sure if it was accurate since the family is wanting privacy ..

You'll be fighting the tabloids and such who make money off of posting images including gruesome death scenes, mortuary/autopsy photo's, private funeral pics and such.
All I can say is that it's *very* bad karma. What goes around, does indeed come around.

It's disgusting. I really do wish there was a specific law in place to prevent it, and to allow any current violations to be removed.

A few more pictures have been taken down since my last post and I'm waiting on a lot of people and outlets to respond, so let's hope for the best...

The comment mentioning an aunt? Yes...we discussed it on the Discord server and asked DNA Doe Project if the name was consistent with their findings and they said no. I think the person who left the comment may have mistaken Lyle's page for that of their family member's, or they were trolling.

Whatever it was has been removed, just people leaving flowers. Find a grave will turn off the feature/remove items that go against their TOS.

I'm completely in favor of as many websites taking down the photos as possible now that it has been solved and he is identified. That said-- While it is really unfortunate that pictures of Lyle's death are out on the internet now, IMHO, had the photos not been released he may not have had so many following his case. New sketches were made based on the photos and the photos were very useful for comparing to photos of missing persons. The photos didn't solve it, no, but they gave sleuthers more info to work with while trying to ID him and that in turn led to keeping the case active online. IMO, because of the attention Lyle's case had online, he was one of the first to be selected and eventually identified by the DNA Doe Project. Sure, DNA could have solved the case without the photos but I think one could argue that if no photos and no additional info had been released with an FOIA, it might have taken much longer for his case to be selected for this new process of DNA identification through genealogical DNA. Again, I'm all in favor of as many websites taking down the photos as possible now that it has been solved and he is identified. His family was wise to not release his name, IMO. The good thing is that anyone who knew "Lyle" in real life likely will not know to go looking for the photos unless told about his alias. We see the images pop up quickly because we know what to search for but most people are not aware of JD cases or websites like this. If most of the mainstream sources and reputable places like Websleuths remove the morgue photos they will eventually not come up as easily in the search. It will probably be impossible to completely remove them but with time I think they will be harder to find. JMO.

I'm completely in favor of as many websites taking down the photos as possible now that it has been solved and he is identified. That said-- While it is really unfortunate that pictures of Lyle's death are out on the internet now, IMHO, had the photos not been released he may not have had so many following his case. New sketches were made based on the photos and the photos were very useful for comparing to photos of missing persons. The photos didn't solve it, no, but they gave sleuthers more info to work with while trying to ID him and that in turn led to keeping the case active online. IMO, because of the attention Lyle's case had online, he was one of the first to be selected and eventually identified by the DNA Doe Project. Sure, DNA could have solved the case without the photos but I think one could argue that if no photos and no additional info had been released with an FOIA, it might have taken much longer for his case to be selected for this new process of DNA identification through genealogical DNA. Again, I'm all in favor of as many websites taking down the photos as possible now that it has been solved and he is identified. His family was wise to not release his name, IMO. The good thing is that anyone who knew "Lyle" in real life likely will not know to go looking for the photos unless told about his alias. We see the images pop up quickly because we know what to search for but most people are not aware of JD cases or websites like this. If most of the mainstream sources and reputable places like Websleuths remove the morgue photos they will eventually not come up as easily in the search. It will probably be impossible to completely remove them but with time I think they will be harder to find. JMO.

Oh, I completely agree...the silver lining to the photos being released is that it generated a lot of interest and intrigue in the case, which may have led to DNA Doe Project taking notice of it. Now that all is said and done, however, I hope we can remove as many of them as possible. If Imgur remove the album containing all of the police photos, that's already a huge step in the right direction because that's where most of the photos are. If people do eventually discover Lyle's identity and carelessly post it online, people may search his alias anyway, which is another reason why they need to be removed.

So I'm the one who posted the link to the album here that was posted on reddit by someone who did a FOIA request.

When I posted the links I never dreamt the case would be solved. I posted them in hopes that us sleuths would be able to solve the mystery and bring this young man home. I didn't ever stop to think that his family may see the pictures some day. I've been in contact with the mods of this forum to have my posts removed - I'd remove them myself but I can't seem to do that.

I sincerely apologize for any harm caused to his family by way of my posting the links to the albums.

So I'm the one who posted the link to the album here that was posted on reddit by someone who did a FOIA request.

When I posted the links I never dreamt the case would be solved. I posted them in hopes that us sleuths would be able to solve the mystery and bring this young man home. I didn't ever stop to think that his family may see the pictures some day. I've been in contact with the mods of this forum to have my posts removed - I'd remove them myself but I can't seem to do that.

I sincerely apologize for any harm caused to his family by way of my posting the links to the albums.

Don't be hard on yourself. While I understand that they need to be removed now, I completely agree with Gardener that Lyle's case got so much interest because of those photos. You clearly did an awesome job at helping Lyle to get his name back. I was shocked when I saw your post. I don't think I ever considered that happening. Ever.

Folks,

I don't think anyone that posted the photos had any evil or mean intentions. Given how many unidentified people there are out there, the photos made Lyle much more real than an ambiguous sketch. Eventually, so many people being drawn to this case allowed closure. Even though now releasing the photos will most certainly have negative implications, it did help solve the case.

There's no need to apologise, you had only good intentions and the photos can be removed now that he's been identified. :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member