WA WA - Mount Si, WhtMale 30-60, UP14867, camping gear, glasses, Nike shoes, knife, Jun'15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I really like the facial overlay here and the circumstances would be a good fit for Tran with the rental car in Washington. However, the Doe is listed as White and cobsiderably taller than Tran. IMO one discrepancy can be overlooked (after all they’re estimates) but with two factors being different I don’t think this is a likely match. The facial similarities are impressive though.

Thanks Western, normally these would be enough for me to rule out but there are a number of reasons why I like him. And just that gut feeling. That I don't normally get.

They both have dentals so quick rule out

Time of year was perfect. Weather was 50's during the day. Nights between 30-40.

No one knew where he was other than North and it sounds like only the landlady knew.

Asian was mentioned in the thread earlier but was said to probably be incorrect. Was it or not? This made me originally look for a missing white male but not completely rule out anyone.

I'd imagine CA and WA are totally different in March and I can see him going on the mountain unprepared.

The height has concerned me but with only skeletal remaining I question. I normally try to stay within the estimates but I know they have been wrong before. And on much bigger things than height. Not the norm but it does happen.

I'd just feel a whole lot better if they'd take a look at the dentals. I would think a quick rule out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bottom of his nose is obviously too low.

Thanks Carl. I saw that too but did not know if skeletal would show that. Eye width, distances I knew but not nose ending. Thank you for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And Alaska is a possibility.

Flew to Washington. Sounds like he probably boarded the ferry and took his life. What I did notice in his picture is what appears to be a strap on his glasses with the same bare sides.

004d167c0c1e6db9291595c12e15da89.jpg

Brian Eugene Helmuth

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/19654/0/

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3824dmak.html

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/helmuth_brian.html

That's odd, because if he was boarding the ferry "IN" Bremerton he'd be heading back to Seattle. Someone who was committing suicide would be heading away from the airport.... most (but not all) of the suicides we see the subjects are fairly directed about what they do.... Bremerton and Seattle are a long way from Mt Si.

The ME is very focused on the 94-95 time period, so 99 is stretching that a little. I am not sure if that is just based on the pathology or the possessions, or both. Dr Taylor is very good at the dating but it isn't an exact science.

So not impossible but seems lower probability.

I noticed that the NamUs entry for this UID has only 3 exclusions:
I was surprised to find that Dat Tat Tran (The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)) was not listed as an exclusion. Even though he is Asian, there are so many details that make him a possible match. Curtis Dale Hill (The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)), Wayne Albert Hansen (not in NamUs, The Doe Network: Case File 1778DMAB), Brian Eugene Helmuth (The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)), Charles Horvath-Allan (not in NamUs, The Doe Network: Case File 67DMBC), Juan Manuel Briones-Madera (The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)), Nicholas Bror Cumming (The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)), Robert Brand (Jonathan Aujay (The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)) and Jens Paeschke (not in NamUs, Jens Paeschke – The Charley Project), all previously mentioned in this thread, are also not listed as exclusions. I hope I didn't miss any possibilities that were mentioned. I also noticed that some of the above mentioned possibilities didn't have NamUs entries when they were suggested as possible matches, but they do now, so I listed them with their NamUs links.

I'm not usually in the UID forum, so I don't know if it is common for exclusions not to be listed on NamUs. Does anyone know about that? Were none of these names submitted? Also, I noticed the age range for this UID has been expanded from 30 - 60 years old to 30 - 70 years old.

A previous poster mentioned a suspicion of the JD being from abroad. I can to the same suspicion after putting a few other things together.

A few things of note - it is super common for people to go on hikes in Washington ill prepared. I've hiked Mt Si and even climbed the haystack a number of times. The Nikes tell me he isn't local or at least isn't local and outdoorsy.

All the noted recovered items are brand names. This doesn't lend to the theory of the JD being homeless or an addict or if so not for a prolonged period. And leads me to believe he had resources.

I have a longshot idea. I used to work for REI. They push membership sales hard. They also keep record of how long people have been members and what was purchased under those memberships. Even if sales records of items were not kept was there a membership sold to a man in the Seattle store from late 1994 to early 00's that was never used again? Specially in late fall/winter/spring months.

Stay with me here...the REI flagship store is in Seattle. If someone were to travel to Seattle and got the itch to spend the night on a mountain - they would likely go to the REI store in Seattle where they could have gotten the temp gauge keychain and the snow shovel. The quickest way to get to the mountains from Seattle is I-90 and one of the first assessable mountain trailheads is Mt. Si. I used to suggest hikes and campsites to people all the time when I worked there. There are no legal campsites on Mt Si.

Zero evidence of that in this case. And who speculated that, based on what?
The guy had name brand clothing and a few pieces of survival gear sounds way more like an impulse over night and someone experiencing homelessness. The dental work also screams resources. I live just outside of North Bend and I think homelessness being such a prevalent state of existing in the greater Seattle area that LE becomes quick to assign the "living homeless" label even when in this case it doesn't feel accurate and holding that idea as a potential solution actually probably is preventing them from figuring out other angles.

To me it feels like well nobody reported him missing must have been living on the mountain...

Or maybe someone's flight got delayed in a layover and they got impulsive? Or they were in the Seattle area for something else and got impulsive. Young men (up to 35) make up the majority of "death by misadventure" in parks. Impulsivity is a major factor in that. The JD's belongings and the dental work says resources so have they looked for people who went missing while traveling abroad?

Does anyone know if they have considered Steven Needham?

I know he's a little young on the age range but I was recently listening to an interview from a forensic anthropologist that acknowledged things like alcoholism (which Steven Needham struggled with) can skew the age estimation. The other reason I ask is he was last seen wearing white shoes and also fits the height range. It was late October. You're only talking 20-25 miles on foot + 4 to the top of Mt Si. It could potentially explain lack of ID in the wallet if he gave them his ID when he checked in to the facility.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliviamadyy
Back