GUILTY WA - Nikki Kuhnhausen, 17, transgender, murdered, Vancouver, 5 June 2019 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A life lost because someone was born in the wrong body. Even though there is so much acceptance these days they need to be careful with macho men and let them know up front. It shouldn't have to be like this but there are so many men still out there that feel their manhood is threatened by a transgender. RIP Nikki

Murder trial begins in Vancouver over killing of transgender teen

"All the evidence in this case is going to create the body of belief that the defendant took Nikki's life after learning she was transgender and that he fled the country trying to avoid capture," Colin Hayes, Clark County senior deputy prosecutor, said

On Tuesday, the defense laid out a much different story, claiming it was actually self defense. In court, the defense said it planned to show that it was Kuhnhausen who actually attacked him first.

Not much updates coming from this case at the moment but I will add that this reminds me of the Lee Rodarte Jr killing of Savanna Gold.

Rodarte 's defence was "that he was trying to defend himself from Gold when he grabbed her neck and heard a “pop,”

I think that, snapping a women's neck in self defence and then panicking, is not going to work for the burly
Russian.

Florida Man Sentenced For Killing Co-Worker In Restaurant Parking Lot, Then Posing As Her Over Text Messages | Oxygen Official Site

While we await the verdicts, there seems to be a lot going on behind the scenes. The Jury has come to a verdict on only one of the two counts. I take it they have agreed on murder but it seems one of the jurors has decided against a hate crime.

From the article -

"The jury was subsequently summoned to the courtroom. The presiding juror told the judge the jury had reached a verdict on one count but that it was deadlocked on the other. He said he did not think it could reach a decision with the current jury.

Gregerson instructed the jurors to return to the jury room to fill out the verdict form. However, the jury then submitted another note to the court — this time asking if a juror could be replaced with an alternate. The jury said it believed a juror was basing her decision on personal bias, and would not further share her views or deliberate."

I find this interesting as I was once a juror and did not have to overly elaborate on my decision making. I think accusing a juror of personal bias is not a strong enough argument to have them replaced. All Jurors base their decisions on leaning one way or another.

Reading between the lines, the majority of the jurors really want DB to be found guilty of the hate crime as this also sets a president for any future court cases.

I hope they are not forcing the issue too much as it could lead to a miss trail.

Juror issue complicates deliberations in Nikki Kuhnhausen slaying trial

By Jessica Prokop, Columbian Assistant Metro Editor
Published: August 27, 2021, 12:25pm
“Nikki Kuhnhausen’s mother and supporters exhaled a collective sigh of relief as a judge announced Friday that David Bogdanov was found guilty of second-degree murder and malicious harassment in the transgender teen’s death.”
Bogdanov found guilty of murder in death of Nikki Kuhnhausen

As Nikki’s family and friends struggled to move forward after her murder, they went on to push for an important change in Washington state law. They advocated for what became known as “Nikki’s Law,” which eliminated the so-called ‘panic’ defense in Washington. The ‘panic’ defense is a legal strategy where a defendant blames a violent act, such as murder, on a victim’s gender identity or sexual orientation. In essence, they claim that the discovery excuses their loss of self-control and rage. Therefore, they argue they can’t be held responsible for their violent reaction.

The panic defense is rarely used but can be effective for defendants in criminal trials. For context, Bogdanov didn’t use this strategy, as he claimed self-defense. Still, Nikki’s loved ones wanted to prevent any defendant from being able to use the ‘panic’ defense in the future.

In the spring of 2020, lawmakers in the Washington Legislature debated the bill. It overwhelmingly passed the House and Senate and went on to Governor Jay Inslee for signing. On March 5, 2020, ‘Nikki’s Law’ became official in the state of Washington. The ‘panic’ defense has been banned in 16 states plus the District of Columbia. Legislation to ban the defense has been introduced, but not passed, in 12 other states.
  • f022ab1e-f626-496a-bb36-0115ca80f1a4_750x422.jpg

Vancouver transgender teen Nikki Kuhnhausen went missing in June 2019. Snapchat records showed David Bogdanov messaged Nikki the morning of June 6 saying that he was in a white van, when he likely picked her up at her apartment
  • Photos of the white van | Should Be Alive

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwitzke
Back