WA WA - Samantha Sayers, 28, Vesper Peak, North Cascades, 1 August 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
And why did it take him 4 days (Sunday) to come forward and say he had lunch with her?
The sister of Sam's boyfriend posted today on Facebook that the police are now saying (to the family) that he DIDN'T have lunch with her, and that he said that he had passed her and just said hello. She also mentioned that the police are keeping all of their options open and are still doing a full investigation into what happened to her.

Alaska I can see, plenty of grizzlies everywhere. About 5 years ago the grizzly population in the in the North Cascades had dwindled to around 10.

A quick google suggests those 10 became 6 and then those 6 bugged out for Canada? So you're dealing with black bears in the North Cascades.
Less of a need for deterrent spray--might still be useful against 2 legged animals.

The US Government would like to reintroduce grizzlies into the North Cascades, via helicoptering them in. But those plans appear stalled.

Night-time in the mountains alone is a trip. Dang forest comes alive in the dark. All manner of creatures moving about in the dark.

I have concerns about wildlife...especially since she was hiking alone. I would hope, being experienced, she would have been carrying deterrent spray.
I always fear this, since on one occasion I had to use my bear spray....mind you, that was in Alaska.

I have concerns about wildlife...especially since she was hiking alone. I would hope, being experienced, she would have been carrying deterrent spray.
I always fear this, since on one occasion I had to use my bear spray....mind you, that was in Alaska.
I grew up in the area and hiked the Northern Cascades a lot during college years. I never saw a bear. Yes, there are some out there, but in the higher alpine areas like the Vesper trail, they are scarce. This is mountain goat country, not "walk through the woods" country. The terrain is a LOT More dangerous than the wildlife.

The sister of Sam's boyfriend posted today on Facebook that the police are now saying (to the family) that he DIDN'T have lunch with her, and that he said that he had passed her and just said hello. She also mentioned that the police are keeping all of their options open and are still doing a full investigation into what happened to her.
Interesting that she says that but I can't find it via any MSM source. Is this the sister being protective of her brother?

Police Continue Searching for Experienced Hiker Who Went Missing Over a Week Ago in Washington

Earlier in the week, the Sheriff’s Office released a statement sharing that after Sam left for the hike around 8 a.m., multiple hikers reported seeing heron Wednesday.

“One group of hikers reported seeing Sayers on her way up Vesper Peak around mid-morning on Wednesday,” they wrote, before adding that another hiker also reportedly had lunch with Sayer and then “saw her walking south from the summit.”

“That individual has been working closely with the sheriff’s office over the past few days to identify the location of where they had lunch,” they added.

Is this man changing his story all of a sudden or was there just a misunderstanding to begin with?

Interesting that she says that but I can't find it via any MSM source. Is this the sister being protective of her brother?
It was in a comment in response to something someone else commented about the other hiker on one of the posts on their #findsamsayers Facebook page. Unfortunately, I can't search the comments, but if I come across the post later, I can post it. I personally don't think that the brother had any involvement in her disappearance, and the sister's comment seemed to be more out of frustration with the police department. The facebook page indicates that there have been several misunderstandings between the family and the police department since Sam disappeared.

This post in the #findsamsayers Facebook group has several detailed maps of the areas they've searched. They have marked some important things like the two cell phone ping locations and a tree that was found on fire. (According to the FAQ on the poster I shared below, the fire was determined by authorities to be unrelated to Sam.)

#findsamsayers Facebook post

Last edited:
I grew up in the area and hiked the Northern Cascades a lot during college years. I never saw a bear. Yes, there are some out there, but in the higher alpine areas like the Vesper trail, they are scarce. This is mountain goat country, not "walk through the woods" country. The terrain is a LOT More dangerous than the wildlife.

My dad has hiked around that area his entire life. I asked him this weekend if he's ever seen a bear up there. He said once, many years ago, and it was very skittish and ran away as soon as it saw my dad's hiking group. The most "wild" wildlife I've personally seen up there in all my time hiking was a family of deer.

Been a couple weekends and I imagine activity on those trails picks up this time of year but no sign of Samantha.

Bathroom breaks on the hiking trails can be hazardous. As people wander off the somewhat known/regular terrain of the marked trails in search of some privacy to do their business. But even then you'd think if something like that happened she'd be within 50ft of a marked trail.

Fall risk greatest near the summit and the locals no doubt know which ravines to check for people who've fallen off climbing/descending the mountain.

Apparently it's Sam's birthday tomorrow.

"On the eve of Samantha Sayers birthday, we spoke to one of her high school best friends who tells us he’s not giving up hope on finding her #FindSamSayers"

Twitter

Yup. Her birthday tomorrow and her dad's birthday is actually today.

That poster with the FAQ on the site is a great idea. Something that 'bullet point-esque' would be fabulous to see done with more cases!

Dear GraceG,

Thanks for your insight and knowledge of this area.

I am hoping, along with everyone, for a good outcome for Samantha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eppomoosha