WA WA - Seattle, WhtMale 37-72, UP99794, Skeletonized in tent, Blonde wig, Poss. Transgender, *Sketches*, Dec'22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm not familiar with the area at all and much less its social history, but I'm aware of cops bulldozing homeless encampments in many major cities on a whim. Do you suppose it would be possible that our UID's passing was noticed, but wasn't actively reported out of fear? That wouldn't help with identifying this Doe but might help explain how they went unreported to LE for long enough to skeletonize.
That is definitely possible as well. The Seattle homeless and the police don't have the most positive history. I am curious to know more about where exactly in Seattle this Doe was found as I have a lot of contacts who are located in various areas in the heart of Seattle and could let me know about the area. Looking at the Google Maps location from the NamUs link I know it is in a busy industrial area I have crossed over many times, where many people pass by, as is often typical of areas in Seattle/the Seattle area with a lot of homeless encampments. Washington has milder winters than a lot of areas of the country (in terms of sheer temperature, comparatively little snow; we get rain year-round, but you get used to it and it is a lot easier to shelter from than show or blistering cold) but this kind of area is not gentle and, obviously, does not make for easy living.
I am curious to know details about the Doe's COD.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Date Body Found December 5, 2022​

Location Found Seattle, Washington​

Estimated Age Range 37-72 Years​

Sex Male​

Race/Ethnicity White/Caucasian​

Estimated Age Group Adult- Pre70​

Height 5'5"-5'11" (65-71 inches), Estimated​

Weight Cannot Estimate​

Location Seattle,Washington 98134​

County King County​

Found On Tribal Land No​

Circumstances of Recovery The decedent was reported to volunteers during a welfare check of indigent camps. The decedent was skeletonized in a tent and was discovered wearing a jacket, button up shirt, t-shirt, 2 bras(stuffed with tissue), shorts with a makeshift belt, tights, socks, boots, and a blonde wig affixed to the scalp.​

Condition of Remains Not recognizable- Near complete or complete skeleton​

Circumstance Notes Skeletally this individual is consistent with an age range of 37-72 years of age, they more likely fall into 45-60 years of age.​

Hair Color Brown​

Eye Color Unknown​

Accessories Makeshift belt, Blonde wig​

Clothing Jacket, Button up shirt, T-shirt,2 bras(stuffed with tissue),Shorts, Tights, Socks, Boots​

99794_173536.jpg

Sketches by Stephen Missal
View attachment 411952View attachment 411951

"The decedent was reported to volunteers during a welfare check of indigent camps. The decedent was skeletonized in a tent..."

Sex - Male (Poss. Transgender)
Race - White
Age Range - 37-72
DBF - December 5, 2022
Location - Seattle, Washington
Condition - Complete Skeleton

Height - 5' 5"-5' 11"(65-71 inches) Estimated

Hair Color - Brown

Accessories
- Blonde wig (Found affixed to skull)

Clothing (No descriptions given)
- Jacket
- Button Up Shirt
- T-shirt
- 2 Bras (Stuffed with tissues)
- Shorts (W/ makeshift belt)
- Tights
- Socks
- Boots
Local authorities are reporting conflicting info on this UP -- more specifically the date body recovered or Oct 10, 2022:

Skeletal remains found in Seattle’s Beacon Hill neighborhood​

On October 10, 2022, unidentified skeletal remains were found inside a tent at a homeless encampment in the 1900 block of 11th Ave S in Seattle’s Beacon Hill neighborhood.

This person was biologically male but may have identified as female based on the items and clothing found with them when they died.

The Medical Examiner’s Office had two sketches rendered of this person, one with the wig and one without.

They were found wearing a black bra and fishnet stockings with dark-colored shorts. They also had on a light-colored top with birds, floral designs, and a heart-shaped lock printed on it, paired with a dark-colored outer shirt, a dark-colored hoodie, black high-heeled boots, and a makeshift leopard-print belt.

The Medical Examiner’s Office found healed injuries to the ribs, pelvis, and feet, possibly as the result of an accident during life.

Do you recognize them?​

If you believe you have any information that may help, please contact the Medical Examiner’s Office at 206-731-3232, ext. 1. Any information you have could be helpful to investigators.

Case #22-3792

• Skeletal remains found October 10, 2022, inside a tent within a homeless encampment in the 1900 block of 11th Ave S., Seattle
  • Adult, presumably white biologically male, but may have identified as female based on clothing and belongings
  • Short-to-medium length brown hair but were wearing a long blond wig at the time of their death
  • Height: between 5'5" and 6'
  • Healed injuries to the ribs, pelvis, and feet, possibly as the result of an accident during life
  • Found wearing a black bra and fishnet stockings with dark-colored shorts, a light-colored top with birds, floral designs, and a heart-shaped lock printed on it, paired with a dark-colored outer shirt, a dark-colored hoodie, black high-heeled boots, and a makeshift leopard-print belt
ETA: Specific to the decedent's hair, using plain language, take note the county ME reports the subject was "wearing a long, blond wig."

I'm not sure why the first post (NamUs) described the wig as "affixed to the scalp" vs wearing a wig but I think the term is proving misleading here.

IMO, I think the local ME that actually handled the body provides the most accurate description. JMO

Last edited:
I am curious to know more about where exactly in Seattle this Doe was found
^^rsbm
On October 10, 2022, unidentified skeletal remains were found inside a tent at a homeless encampment in the 1900 block of 11th Ave S in Seattle’s Beacon Hill neighborhood.

1686080709328.png

1900 11th Ave S
Seattle, WA 98134

For illustration purposes only, this approximate camp address is consistent with the Seattle region where encampments typically border the I-5 corridor. JMO

If the volunteers found skeletonized remains, obviously the decedent had been there for quite some time. There isn't a PMI listed on NamUs. Anyone have guesses how long it'd take for a deceased individual to become skeletonized inside a tent?

If this was in a homeless encampment, I'm surprised the remains weren't discovered earlier, as decomposition occurred. The smell would have made it apparent something wasn't right...
you would be surprised. a lot of times they wont report. Beau mann was found in a camp and presumably had been there a year and a half.

Anyone have guesses how long it'd take for a deceased individual to become skeletonized inside a tent?
^^rsbm
Reportedly, weather influences rate of decomp to skeletal bones and Seattle was unseasonably warm Sept to Oct 10, 2022.

I'm thinking of another WA case I followed on WS: Kassandra Cantrell who went missing on 8/25/20 and her body recovered on 9/20/20.

I recall her body (found wrapped in garbage bags in a ravine) also described as skeletonized which would be about 4 weeks for the same region. A tent indirectly keeps the body warm and the shell keeps the body dry so I think the effect similar to trash bags. JMO

This is probably a dumb question, but what does the wig being "affixed" to their skull mean?

I think it was a poor choice of words. The King County ME who actually handled the body describes the decedent as wearing a long, blond wig at time of death. Not glued or somehow sealed to the skull as "affixed" (by NamUs) seems to imply.

Perhaps the author wanted to emphasize that this was not a woman's wig found inside the tent, possibly belonging to other but was being worn by the individual.

Seems to me NamUs desired to use the wig to emphasize the female transition of the decedent. I don't know why they couldn't just be a cross dresser. JMO

Not to be too morbid, but could decomposition have caused the wig to get stuck to their head? Like they were just wearing the wig (without any wig glue, etc) when they died but as their body decomposed the wig became 'affixed'?

Not to be too morbid, but could decomposition have caused the wig to get stuck to their head? Like they were just wearing the wig (without any wig glue, etc) when they died but as their body decomposed the wig became 'affixed'?
I am not a forensic pathologist... but it tends to be the opposite. The connective tissue joining the skin of the scalp to the skull decomposes and the hair on top tends to come loose all together. When someone is collecting skeletal remains, they'll sometimes find this 'hair mat' in the same general area as the bones even when other soft tissues are gone. It may be a small or large distance away, as animals tend to move it about. Birds and small mammals like hair for nesting, for example.

This article is about hair as a source of evidence, so, not exclusively about this phenomenon, but it does mention that it happens.

https://www.esalq.usp.br/lepse/imgs...orensic-evidence-in-murder-investigations.pdf

MOO

I am not a forensic pathologist... but it tends to be the opposite. The connective tissue joining the skin of the scalp to the skull decomposes and the hair on top tends to come loose all together. When someone is collecting skeletal remains, they'll sometimes find this 'hair mat' in the same general area as the bones even when other soft tissues are gone. It may be a small or large distance away, as animals tend to move it about. Birds and small mammals like hair for nesting, for example.

This article is about hair as a source of evidence, so, not exclusively about this phenomenon, but it does mention that it happens.

https://www.esalq.usp.br/lepse/imgs...orensic-evidence-in-murder-investigations.pdf

MOO
Thank you, I appreciate the input!

^^rsbm
Reportedly, weather influences rate of decomp to skeletal bones and Seattle was unseasonably warm Sept to Oct 10, 2022.

I'm thinking of another WA case I followed on WS: Kassandra Cantrell who went missing on 8/25/20 and her body recovered on 9/20/20.

I recall her body (found wrapped in garbage bags in a ravine) also described as skeletonized which would be about 4 weeks for the same region. A tent indirectly keeps the body warm and the shell keeps the body dry so I think the effect similar to trash bags. JMO

I just saw the case of the murder of Kassandra Cantrell- what I don't understand, and what I am furious over, is why they let the b------d take a plea and all he got was 26 years!! WTH is that- He can be paroled in less than that: she was pregnant- they had a very strong case- they had her remains and all kinds of digital and phone evidence-- I cannot express strongly enough how I despise wimpy prosecutors- unless there is something I am missing- there was no reason to take a plea!! Her family is very angry and who can blame them!!!

He should have gotten life in prison!

I just saw the case of the murder of Kassandra Cantrell- what I don't understand, and what I am furious over, is why they let the b------d take a plea and all he got was 26 years!! WTH is that- He can be paroled in less than that: she was pregnant- they had a very strong case- they had her remains and all kinds of digital and phone evidence-- I cannot express strongly enough how I despise wimpy prosecutors- unless there is something I am missing- there was no reason to take a plea!! Her family is very angry and who can blame them!!!

He should have gotten life in prison!
WA State adult sentencing guidelines are atrocious (see calculator linked below) and life without parole could someday be obsolete in WA! I recall the last bill introduced would allow prisoners eligible for release after serving max of 20 years.

Two WA teens charged with first degree murder and burglary, being tried as adults, recently entered plea agreements in the same county as Cantrell's killer where charges were reduced to 2nd degree murder and the burglary charges dropped. Second degree sentence range is 123-220 months. Prosecution recommended 123 months but Judge sentenced them to 150 months (12.5 years).

In other words, 12.5 years for an extremely violent murder is insane so in comparison, 26.8 years (320 mos) sentence for Cantrell's killer (C Dudley) is probably what he would have received (or less) if he was convicted at trial.

http://www.martonicklaw.com/sentencing/MURDER FIRST DEGREE.aspx

WA State adult sentencing guidelines are atrocious (see calculator linked below) and life without parole could someday be obsolete in WA! I recall the last bill introduced would allow prisoners eligible for release after serving max of 20 years.

Two WA teens charged with first degree murder and burglary, being tried as adults, recently entered plea agreements in the same county as Cantrell's killer where charges were reduced to 2nd degree murder and the burglary charges dropped. Second degree sentence range is 123-220 months. Prosecution recommended 123 months but Judge sentenced them to 150 months (12.5 years).

In other words, 12.5 years for an extremely violent murder is insane so in comparison, 26.8 years (320 mos) sentence for Cantrell's killer (C Dudley) is probably what he would have received (or less) if he was convicted at trial.

http://www.martonicklaw.com/sentencing/MURDER FIRST DEGREE.aspx

What is the problem in Washington with the justice system? is it a political issue? Our justice system is screwed up in this country, but it sounds worse in Washington--

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BurgoPI
Back